[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I don't know if this has been talked about but.

The last 2 lunar missions I did I used the Apollo advanced heatshield just incase I end up landing instead of splashing down, and both ties the heatshield overheats and blows up. Thankfully both times the crew survived but I don't know if it's because I am reentering too fast or if the part is bugged.

I tend to set Kerbin/Earth's Periap to about 15k when reentering, is it because I am using the non beta version of the recent release or is it I am going in too fast on approach?

6 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

The last 2 lunar missions I did I used the Apollo advanced heatshield just incase I end up landing instead of splashing down, and both ties the heatshield overheats and blows up. Thankfully both times the crew survived but I don't know if it's because I am reentering too fast or if the part is bugged.

I tend to set Kerbin/Earth's Periap to about 15k when reentering, is it because I am using the non beta version of the recent release or is it I am going in too fast on approach?

15km sounds a little low and fast to me, but I havent done a Mun return in 2.5x yet, so cant really speak from experience. Zorg said he does 30Km to 35Km and is fine, iirc. Try 30Km or even 45km. You might bounce out for another go around, but should be fine. 

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

15km sounds a little low and fast to me, but I havent done a Mun return in 2.5x yet, so cant really speak from experience. Zorg said he does 30Km to 35Km and is fine, iirc. Try 30Km or even 45km. You might bounce out for another go around, but should be fine. 

Alright I will try that when I have time to play.

38 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

Am I reading correct from above you are using the current release? There is an aero bug with the capsules or heatshields in the release thats been fixed on the github versions.

We will be releasing the patch officially very soon once a couple of more small items have been taken care of.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:10 AM, Zorg said:

Drag issue on the jettison SLA has been fixed with a slightly modified custom cube and fixes to the B9 switcher that was preventing it from taking. Here a base engine config Saturn IB launching to equitorial 110x110 in KSRRS 2.5x with about 200m/s spare in the S4B

With the upgraded 1973 engines can make 180x180 at 50 degrees launching from Kennedy in KSRSS (Skylab orbit scaled to KSRSS). 4 deg/s pitch rate and 100m/s pitch start is essential though.

A question for clarity's sake... did you mean 0.4 deg/s pitch rate or 4 deg/s pitch rate?

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Am I reading correct from above you are using the current release? There is an aero bug with the capsules or heatshields in the release thats been fixed on the github versions.

We will be releasing the patch officially very soon once a couple of more small items have been taken care of.

Yes it's the current release though not the development branch.

1 minute ago, Pudgemountain said:

Yes it's the current release though not the development branch.

In the VAB, what's the max temp on the advanced heat shield? if it's 2500 not 3300, the bug is still there and will be fixed next release.

23 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Doing a little probe stuff lately. Gonna try to take a crack at DMSP/TIROS N:

Capture1.PNG
dmsp-5d3__1.jpg

DMSP5D.PNG

Hell yes! DMSP is probably one of the least kitbashable probes that I know of, so this is amazing

2 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

One more oddity ... The SIVB tank can surpass the 16k tank capacity, while at a much smaller volume. Is this ok?

The S4B has a common bulkhead. I think the other tank is assumed to not. The volume utilization is therefore different I believe but will double check.

8 minutes ago, TruthfulGnome said:

@ZorgWhen could we see the twin-pole shield added? would be very nice to have  I know you said a year ago you had plans for it
Concern over the possibility that materials used for the parasol would deteriorate with prolonged exposure to the Sun's rays and that more complete shielding was required to better control workshop temperatures prompted the installation of a second Sun shield during the second manned mission. This time the crew exited the space station and installed a twin-pole device to position the shield over the parasol.

I did? :confused:

er maybe I said I would consider it, not entirely sure how it should be done given the cable attachments etc. Working on cooler things right now tho.

2 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

@Zorg, I figured the pitch rate out. It is definitely NOT 4 deg/s. I tried it and the results were… well, “unfortunate”. :confused:

0.3 degrees at 100 m/s for low twr 

0.5 degrees at 50 m/s for high twr

These values are the rule of thumb. 

Edited by GoldForest

11 hours ago, Beccab said:

Hell yes! DMSP is probably one of the least kitbashable probes that I know of, so this is amazing

For sure!! Believe me, I have tried. DMSP also covers a wide array of different satellites that use the same bus. The DMSP 5D (ran by Air Force/Space Force) and TIROS_N/NOAA/POES (ran by NOAA) line of satellites ran from (earliest launch) 1976 all the way to 2014 (last launch) with several of these satellites still operating! These satellites were launched on a ridiculously wide array of launch vehicles (Thor Burner DSV-2U,  Atlas E,  Atlas F, Titan 23G, Delta II, Delta IV Medium, and Atlas V), although a majority were launched on Atlas E.  It is a shame that its difficult to kitbash DMSP/TIROS N satellites as they represent such a major chunk of weather satellite history, so it will be good to have these satellites. Also some fun proposals for the bus I am looking into.

Also, new texture for the 5m DCSS based on Demosat/Topaz launches!

screenshot695.png
screenshot696.png
4036-ula_delta_iv_heavy_inaugural_flight_of_delta_iv_heavy_-carleton_bailie.jpg

Edited by Invaderchaos

7 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

4036-ula_delta_iv_heavy_inaugural_flight_of_delta_iv_heavy_-carleton_bailie.jpg

I'll admit, I did a full double take on that last image. Really shows the quality work that goes into KSP modding.

Also DSMP sounds cool as! Really looking forward to it as I've tried to kitbash it a couple of times with, err, sub-optimal results.