[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

A few questions based on observations... by the way, not a stranger to KSP (played since beta) but my old forum account died....

Playing in 1.12

1.  It looks like the Saturn part switch changes lengths but not fuel quantity.  Is this just my build, or is this a bug?

2.  While some fuels are supported, I have had to resort to editing configs (specifically oxidizer to Lqd Oxygen) to get things to play nice with heavy modding for more realistic play.  I suspect this is a Real Fuels issue....  Any chance that this is on a To Do list?

3.  Any designs in the road map for the historic Lunar Rover?  I find trying to shoehorn the weight of USI's amazing Packrat is shall we say too much volume and mass for the LEM.

I have appreciated all the work over the years.  This mod is one of the brightest gems in the community.

RealFuels support for BDB is provided within RealFuels Stockalike's own configs (I think thats the correct mod) , not within BDB itself. So you would need to follow up on that end or help them out with a pull request. I expect issue 1 is also related.

Luna Rover is not on the current roadmap but people have posted various very good looking builds using restock parts. Perhaps a section on the BDB on LRV builds based on those forum posts might be a good idea @Friznit ?

6 minutes ago, Galileo chiu said:

Looks like you're using a decoupler that's not 3.125. That's the problem.  Us the BDB 3.125m decoupler. It's not perfect as you can see there's still a gap, but it's barely noticeable and more forming to the spacecraft and DCSS

siUXq2L.png

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Looks like you're using a decoupler that's not 3.125. That's the problem.  Us the BDB 3.125m decoupler. It's not perfect as you can see there's still a gap, but it's barely noticeable and more forming to the spacecraft and DCSS

siUXq2L.png

oh, so you do have a gap, I did not know that!

6 minutes ago, Galileo chiu said:

oh, so you do have a gap, I did not know that!

A tiny one, but yeah. I don't want to risk removing the gap and the two parts clipping on separation lol. It's not that noticeable in flight, so I don't really care about it. 

wgfhOnN.png

w8PQQDZ.png

nnUDyPX.png

ZRJ71i8.png

dtihXtT.png

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Titan II (Soyuz style). Was able to put Gemini into a 175 x 175 km @ 51.64°

The second stage had a lot of fuel still, could possibly push Gemini to higher orbits, but didn't want to push it. 

Also, made this out of all Titan parts, safe for the stock radial decouplers.

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Best Lunar Rover design this way. And scroll up from there a few posts for the pics of it.

If you can do it with stock hinges instead of SOCK so it's just BDB and stock parts I'll happily recreate for a build guide on the wiki.  Is that feasible?

18 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

What about adding another node to the module itself?

I'd prefer not to? I try not to add hidden nodes and stuff like that if I can avoid it. Engine mounts at least have a consistency, and the LM is borderline unbuildable without it. But for a simple cylinder module? I'd rather just let people adjust with the translation gizmo as-needed.

12 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

3.  Any designs in the road map for the historic Lunar Rover?  I find trying to shoehorn the weight of USI's amazing Packrat is shall we say too much volume and mass for the LEM.

No plans for it, but that doesn't preclude me waking up with a cold sweat in the middle of the night and a deathwish to make rover parts. It's happened before but I wouldn't hold out hope for it. I'm kinda really nervous about it, seems like a lot to go wrong trying to make those parts work with the folding and all that.

12 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Couple of things:

The J-2S looks like it should have part switch, but in game, the part switch isn't working correctly.  This is with the BDB Upper stage thrust buff patch installed.

And the J-2 A2 hasn't been added to the upperstage thrust buff patch (yet?  I don't remember when the J-2 A2 was added).

The J-2A-2 had to be made into a separate part. For those wondering - one of the things that prevent us from combining engines with B9 is deployable engine nozzles. That's why the RL-10 extending variants are separate too, for example. 

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Titan II (Soyuz style). Was able to put Gemini into a 175 x 175 km @ 51.64°

That's really neat! I think it would be better with the Titan variant of the Thor tanks for the "core" there? Might look way cleaner than stacking a bunch of those upperstage tanks.

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

IThat's really neat! I think it would be better with the Titan variant of the Thor tanks for the "core" there? Might look way cleaner than stacking a bunch of those upperstage tanks.

I didn't know/forgot that the Thor tanks had Titan paint. I'll check it out and see if it looks better. I don't mind the mutil tank core though, feels kind of Titany imo. With the exposed metal and all.

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

No plans for it, but that doesn't preclude me waking up with a cold sweat in the middle of the night and a deathwish to make rover parts. It's happened before but I wouldn't hold out hope for it. I'm kinda really nervous about it, seems like a lot to go wrong trying to make those parts work with the folding and all that.

All we really need is the main body and rhe lawn chairs. The folding wheels we can use the stock ones.

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

All we really need is the main body and rhe lawn chairs. The folding wheels we can use the stock ones.

Honestly might be the best option. There's a couple other things I could make too. The antenna, camera, surface gravimeter.

3 hours ago, Friznit said:

If you can do it with stock hinges instead of SOCK so it's just BDB and stock parts I'll happily recreate for a build guide on the wiki.  Is that feasible?

I'm not the guy who made that, I just linked to it because it's brilliant. I'd be happy if I can come up with anything that's even remotely close :)

49 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Honestly might be the best option. There's a couple other things I could make too. The antenna, camera, surface gravimeter.

I think the camera has already been done with the TRS camera, but yeah, the other stuff would be great too. :D

Oh, and maybe some tiny but high charge batteries, or simply put power generation into the main body kind of like how you did with Explorer 1. 

1 minute ago, Jcking said:

For the LM Lab hatch switch, could you have it change the colliders so that one can attach docking ports to it?

Why do you want to put a docking port on the door instead of the top where it goes? Or do you mean an airlock? If you want an airlock, just use LM Shelter. 

12 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Why do you want to put a docking port on the door instead of the top where it goes? Or do you mean an airlock? If you want an airlock, just use LM Shelter. 

So you can attach more things to the LM, and at least one LM Lab manifest shows two CSMs docking with a two LM lab stack docked one on top of the other, and a telescope mounted under the descent stage of the bottom one.

20220515140601_1.jpg

Capture.PNG

Edited by Jcking

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:
19 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

What about adding another node to the module itself?

I'd prefer not to? I try not to add hidden nodes and stuff like that if I can avoid it. Engine mounts at least have a consistency, and the LM is borderline unbuildable without it. But for a simple cylinder module? I'd rather just let people adjust with the translation gizmo as-needed.

Personally, for one-off scenarios where adding (or moving) a node on a part would be useful for a particular vessel build, I find the Node Helper mod can be just what the doctor ordered. (It also helps when KSP somehow "looses" a node in the editor and you need to fix it).

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The J-2A-2 had to be made into a separate part. For those wondering - one of the things that prevent us from combining engines with B9 is deployable engine nozzles. That's why the RL-10 extending variants are separate too, for example. 

Took me a minute to realize what you were saying.  So the only problem now is eventually getting the J-2 A2 added to the upperstage thrust buff patch, which isn't a big issue.

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are you using the switch on the SLA for the support trusses? I think I decided against custom fitting the nodes in there so that it would be easier to use those SLAM variants for other stuff.

i am, yes. you could like @Entr8899 said add another hidden node to the block III and IV modules like i initially expected there to be, if that wouldn't be too much work? thanks in advance, love your stuff!

59 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

Took me a minute to realize what you were saying.  So the only problem now is eventually getting the J-2 A2 added to the upperstage thrust buff patch, which isn't a big issue.

Done now :) 

14 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Recreated the new Lockmart lunar lander but now the render doesn't look like it was made for the Space Exploration Initiative in 1990

Hide contents

unknown.png

Screenshot_12205.pngScreenshot_12207.pngScreenshot_12216.pngScreenshot_12220.png

Is it just me who thinks this lander is really ugly (Not your recreation, that looks great lol)