Jump to content

[1.12.3] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.10.2 "Луна" 14/May/2022)


CobaltWolf
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Alright, I've just completed recreating the Early Lunar Access mission from 1993 - the thing took more than two days between irl things and the rendezvouz/dockings which I hate that the mission required, so enjoy!
For those unaware, ELA was the "cheaper-faster-better" approach applied to go back to the moon, using the Shuttle and the Titan IV (or the Ariane-5 to include the ESA) to assembly a lunar lander and the Centaur, this way:

  Reveal hidden contents

Early Lunar Access

Because of how long and complicated this mission was I've made almost 250 screenshot of it to get a few decent ones to post here, which I've decided to split into groups to avoid cluttering the thread.
Launch of the shuttle, deploying the lander and the capsule:

Launch of the Centaur upper stage on a Titan IV:

Assembly of the transit vehicle and TLI:

Lunar landing:
 

Departure and return to Earth
 

 

Now THIS is what I call overengineering. 10/10 very swag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, aprop60 said:

Why can't I get into orbit with Atlas in Rss

 

did you use a bdb-scale or real-scale bdb atlas?

also, what atlas variant?

also, pls explain/show your flight profile and stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

Alright, I've just completed recreating the Early Lunar Access mission from 1993 - the thing took more than two days between irl things and the rendezvouz/dockings which I hate that the mission required, so enjoy!
For those unaware, ELA was the "cheaper-faster-better" approach applied to go back to the moon, using the Shuttle and the Titan IV (or the Ariane-5 to include the ESA) to assembly a lunar lander and the Centaur, this way:

  Reveal hidden contents

Early Lunar Access

Because of how long and complicated this mission was I've made almost 250 screenshot of it to get a few decent ones to post here, which I've decided to split into groups to avoid cluttering the thread.
Launch of the shuttle, deploying the lander and the capsule:

Launch of the Centaur upper stage on a Titan IV:

Assembly of the transit vehicle and TLI:

Lunar landing:
 

Departure and return to Earth
 

 

What did you use for the reentry pod?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, M3tr0id_Prim3 said:

Hey I really enjoy this mod but I have a question. What is the part used to connect the mercury(Hermes) capsule to the atlas(Bossart) rocket? I've been looking for a few days now and the wiki doesn't say what the parts are.

The Bossart 1.875 to 0.9375 tank has a part switch option for Hermes with long and short options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, M3tr0id_Prim3 said:

What is the part used to connect the mercury(Hermes) capsule to the atlas(Bossart) rocket?

There's an interstage for Mercury-Atlas. That goes between Mercury and the Atlas tapered tank switched to the 1.25m top.

O6VdPrJ.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Beccab said:

Alright, I've just completed recreating the Early Lunar Access mission from 1993 - the thing took more than two days between irl things and the rendezvouz/dockings which I hate that the mission required, so enjoy!
For those unaware, ELA was the "cheaper-faster-better" approach applied to go back to the moon, using the Shuttle and the Titan IV (or the Ariane-5 to include the ESA) to assembly a lunar lander and the Centaur, this way:

 

 

Eh, Mechjeb to the rescue?    My ISS is built with Rendezvouz autopilot + Docking Autopilot.    I wouldn't have even gotten 3 parts together without all of those fine tools!

Aside from that I want to say Brilliant mission and photos.    Is the Return Capsule from Alternate Apollo or something else?  I should really read ALL the posts (thought I was on the last page) before replying :D

 

Edited by Pappystein
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/30/2021 at 4:34 PM, Pappystein said:

Jso brings up several good points here... I would add, I get around the Saturn IB being a Dog by instead flying the Saturn IB as it was envisioned...   4x E-1s in the first stage for the win (replace all 8 H-1s!)   It isn't Historically accurate as flown, but it IS historically accurate as designed/conceptualized.

I followed your lead on this and ditched the 8xH-1's for 4xE-1's The difference is night and day. She performed beautifully and I never once had the urge to get out and push!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

I followed your lead on this and ditched the 8xH-1's for 4xE-1's The difference is night and day. She performed beautifully and I never once had the urge to get out and push!

Yep, and you really won't feel it if either the INT 12/13/14 or Saturn S-III stages ever get added to BDB because the E-1 can lift all of them (currently you can jimmy up a S-III stage with the S-IVC parts and 2 J2s from the BDB ETS Saturn MLV parts.   Just the S-IVC expansion tank + the 2 engine J-2 mount (then use the standard S-I to S-IVB interstage...   mount a 2nd of the same interstage above...  The OG (pre Silverstein) Saturn C-2 :D

It is only after the Silverstein eliminated the S-III stage as "wasteful" do we get un-buildable (with current BDB parts) C-2...   C-3 is currently un-buildable without tweakscale or bringing parts from other mods in (four a 4 J-2 S-II stage and also for a twin F-1 First Cluster (or not) First stage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Zorg said:

Doesnt it tip over if you keep SAS off? I thought it did.

Nope. Just floats upright really high in the water, with the heat shield barely touching the water. Do I need to adjust a config file?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Beccab said:

Alright, I've just completed recreating the Early Lunar Access mission from 1993.

Screenshot_1589.png

Beautiful mission. Thank you for sharing this!

I had no idea this was a real concept, I’ve got to read up on this and learn more.

Edited by lemon cup
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Nope. Just floats upright really high in the water, with the heat shield barely touching the water. Do I need to adjust a config file?

It's fixed for the next release.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Eh, Mechjeb to the rescue?    My ISS is built with Rendezvouz autopilot + Docking Autopilot.    I wouldn't have even gotten 3 parts together without all of those fine tools!

Nope, I did everything manual:cool:

2 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Beautiful mission. Thank you for sharing this!

I had no idea this was a real concept, I’ve got to read up on this and learn more.

Thanks! I hadn't heard about it until very recently either, it was, as I understand, basically the first step of the First Lunar Outpost program

Edited by Beccab
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cochies said:

"Мороз" is a good update. Beautiful.
But what should a simple player do now?
I have a lovely M-1-Rhino from Restock.
And I have a BlueDog M-1.
Do you understand that such a choice can go crazy?

I think the Rihno from Restock is the J-2X meant for the Constellation Program

A different version, I believe

Edited by Naeth Kerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Naeth Kerman said:

I think the Rihno from Restock is the J-2X meant for the Constellation Program

A different version, I believe

The Restock Rhino is based on an earlier design iteration of the M1, the first or second, possibly a slight mix of the two. The BDB one is based on the 3rd (and final) M1 design.

 

Edit; More like the second I think.

Edit2: I believe it was supposed to be a J2-X in Porkjets original revamp plans on which restock is based. But Nertea chose to model an M1 instead.

unknown.png?width=1162&height=843

 

BDB M1 (final design)

unknown.png?width=755&height=843

Edited by Zorg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cochies said:

"Мороз" is a good update. Beautiful.
But what should a simple player do now?
I have a lovely M-1-Rhino from Restock.
And I have a BlueDog M-1.
Do you understand that such a choice can go crazy?

If you have CryoEngines and install the ReStock patch it behaves quite a lot like the M1. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cochies said:

"Мороз" is a good update. Beautiful.
But what should a simple player do now?
I have a lovely M-1-Rhino from Restock.
And I have a BlueDog M-1.
Do you understand that such a choice can go crazy?

The restock m1 is small compared to BDB’s and isn’t scaled correctly. Same goes with restock’s F1 and BDB’s F1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...