[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, Son of Man said:

They are not, tried the other way and it still causes the rocket to lose control very quickly.  Did some more testing and it is only with SAS enabled. Flies straight up just fine without SAS but as soon as I turn SAS on it starts spinning and losing control. At first I thought maybe it is top heavy (which it is a bit) but it doesn't explain why it loses control as soon as I turn SAS on.  Tried removing all control surfaces and fins just in case but still ended up with the same result.  The only thing that worked was removing the whole top section past the fairing base and the fairing itself, then it would stop losing control when SAS is turned on. So I double checked everything in that section which was the Nose Cone, 4 battery packs, 2 antennas, 2 service bays, top filled with science instruments and Kerbal Engineering System part, bottom filled with more science instruments, Science Jr in the middle between the bays, followed by Thor X400 fuel tank and 48-7S Spark engine. Too my knowledge (which isn't much lol, new-ish at KSP) none of that would seem to mess with the guidance unit this much or at all? The guidance unit itself is clipped inside the Thor Upper Stage fuel tank, directly below the fairing base.

Here is the rocket in question:

The Rocket looks good.  But couple things.  

1) is the Navball Brown or Blue on the launch pad?  This is indicitive of something upside down.

2) Are you using any mods like Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.   While some people LOVE that mod(in it's various incarnations)  I have had nothing but bad luck with... oh WAIT loosing control of rockets!

2a) if you are using FAR (Feraam Aerospace Research) you can have serious control-ability problems, because FAR has very precise requirements in rocket construction that does not always play nice with mods.

3) if you have multiple Control points (eg Guidance systems)  controlling the rocket from one that is not in the same plane as the others (EG 3 are pointed down and you are controlling the rocket from one that is pointed Up.....  ) can lead to weird behaviors.

Edited by Pappystein

Having slight issues with the Apollo capsule exploding on reentry (I play on JNSQ, heating is at 100%). I get my periapsis down to around 30-35 km, set COM to offset, kerbals upside down, etc. Although I have to shimmy my way through the whole period, i.e constantly bop the capsule up and down (SAS off) because it was constantly on the verge of overheating (which it does sometimes if I don't press anything). Hopefully these images can help:
ps. Should I be reporting this on Github instead? Apologies

Spoiler

screenshot103.png

These two images are from different missions, but the trajectories are pretty much the same (don't mind the 44 day long mission lol)

screenshot139.png

I must be doing something incorrectly, but I've been trying to get the Dev Test Thingy with the Apollo Saturn Revamp from GitHub(https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/tree/apollo-saturn-revamp/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB)

I've deleted the normal official release and replaced it with the "Bluedog-Design-Bureau-master" 

When I load up the game I haven't noticed any changes with the model designs or textures and the skylab parts. 

I do have both DLC for the skylab strut rig, yet I'm not seeing it. 

EDIT: I noticed I imported the wrong one.  The Correct File is "Bluedog-Design-Bureau-apollo-saturn-revamp" 

Edited by MrStayPuft
Error On My part

36 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Saturn II is dead, long live Nova MM T10EE-1 (yes I was just trying to find an introduction to this recreation, thank you Cobalt)

Screenshot_7866.png
Screenshot_7878.pngScreenshot_7883.pngScreenshot_7888.pngScreenshot_7893.pngScreenshot_7900.pngScreenshot_7904.pngScreenshot_7915.pngScreenshot_7914.png

THAT is a Nova. 

Interesting choice of parts to tweak-scale :D

What did you use for a 1st stage engine?

as an asside... QUIT HATING ON Saturn II!  it is the BEST :D

4 hours ago, space_powder said:

Having slight issues with the Apollo capsule exploding on reentry (I play on JNSQ, heating is at 100%). I get my periapsis down to around 30-35 km, set COM to offset, kerbals upside down, etc. Although I have to shimmy my way through the whole period, i.e constantly bop the capsule up and down (SAS off) because it was constantly on the verge of overheating (which it does sometimes if I don't press anything). Hopefully these images can help:
ps. Should I be reporting this on Github instead? Apologies

Reveal hidden contents

screenshot103.png

These two images are from different missions, but the trajectories are pretty much the same (don't mind the 44 day long mission lol)

screenshot139.png

Suggestion.   Don't drop your PE below 50KM until you are already near the planet.   use the final bit of fuel in the CM to do a "de-orbit" burn to reduce the AP down a bit just before the Atmo interface.   It may not be "real to life" but neither is KSP no matter how accurate the models are.

Edited by Pappystein

9 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I ran into a similar problem a while back while trying to fly a Lunar Orbiter on an Atlas Agena. I would launch and the rocket would promptly flip upside down and crash. I was stumped because I had just flown a Ranger mission on a very similar rocket with no problems. I finally asked for help here and a poster revealed that the Lunar Orbiter is essentially assembled upside down in the VAB and (correctly) mounted on the rocket that way. If it remains as the root part then the rocket will think it is inverted and will try to correct that immediately upon launch. The offered solution was to reset the "Control from Here" to the Agena guidance section (or make it the root part) prior to launch. Once that was pointed out to me it made immediate sense, but I will admit that it wasn't intuitive in the beginning. From your description above it sounds like you have covered all the bases, but I wrote this to point out that it may be something subtle and unintuitive that is causing your rocket to crash.

8 hours ago, Pappystein said:

The Rocket looks good.  But couple things.  

1) is the Navball Brown or Blue on the launch pad?  This is indicitive of something upside down.

2) Are you using any mods like Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.   While some people LOVE that mod(in it's various incarnations)  I have had nothing but bad luck with... oh WAIT loosing control of rockets!

2a) if you are using FAR (Feraam Aerospace Research) you can have serious control-ability problems, because FAR has very precise requirements in rocket construction that does not always play nice with mods.

3) if you have multiple Control points (eg Guidance systems)  controlling the rocket from one that is not in the same plane as the others (EG 3 are pointed down and you are controlling the rocket from one that is pointed Up.....  ) can lead to weird behaviors.

Indeed the Navball was Brown, can't believe I didn't notice that, lol.

#3 also turned out too be the problem, I had a MechJeb controller still on the rocket in the upper service bay mounted on a girder segment upside down which was the culprit, didn't notice it was a Control Point.

Thanks for helping me all! I spent almost an entire day trying to fix this before coming here haha.

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

What did you use for a 1st stage engine?

7 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

seems to be the Nexus 1st stage aerospike

Yep, from here 

as it predates Waterfall it is tweakscalable without plume issues

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

as an asside... QUIT HATING ON Saturn II!  it is the BEST :D

I'm sorry pappystein, but the diagnosis is clear:

Saturn II is fat

6 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

What mods are everyone using for decals. I know conformal decals but are there any mods that add decals like kerbalized flags but not verbalized.

I just find them online - I have a tonne of flags. If you want any I can send them to you somehow. 

Edit - I’ll put them on Imgur now and link it  on this page

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

Okay sorry for the double posts, but here are all the flags I use

None of these are made by me, I've just found them online or been given them from other people

US Flags - https://imgur.com/a/fnfQzhL

SpaceX - https://imgur.com/a/CUxR5Xu

ESA, Russia & Japan - https://imgur.com/a/GbFOTvE

Freedom module flags - https://imgur.com/a/jSDqCII

:D

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969