[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

20 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

All that being said, interesting, if flawed concept.   While I don't see a Kerolox S-II stage being a benefit, I do see the Vacuum F-1V (and F-1AV?) being a small but worthy investment for things like S-ID

Actually, having a vacuum optimized version for the sustainer engine would be great for the S-1D. It could be made like the one engine from the 1.9 update, have it able to run in sea level mode then switch to vacuum mode upon 1.5 sep.

(Welcome to 910 btw everyone)

Edited by GoldForest

48 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Actually, having a vacuum optimized version for the sustainer engine would be great for the S-1D. It could be made like the one engine from the 1.9 update, have it able to run in sea level mode then switch to vacuum mode upon 1.5 sep.

(Welcome to 910 btw everyone)

Seconding this. Vacuum-rated F1 would be great for the Saturn-1D.

Hey guys, just a quick question for Cobalt, are there going to be C-8 parts? If not, it’s pretty confusing it’s on the ‘officialy unofficial’ wiki, and it would be good to notify Friznit. But man, C-8 and maybe DA Apollo would be crazy, don’t you think?

2 minutes ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Hey guys, just a quick question for Cobalt, are there going to be C-8 parts? If not, it’s pretty confusing it’s on the ‘officialy unofficial’ wiki, and it would be good to notify Friznit. But man, C-8 and maybe DA Apollo would be crazy, don’t you think?

Nope nope nope

7 minutes ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

No, Cobalt has no interest in the C-8. You can make a C-8 using near future launch vehicle parts combined with the new Saturn parts. 

3 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Okay I'm back again with the CSM/Saturn 1B problem. Still cannot get it into orbit. Tried removing ablator, supplies, SM is on orbital mode, tried different Mechjeb PVG settings, still falls short.

Try lobbing it or taking a sharp gravity turn, spend more time horizontal than vertical. 

v3pbwWL.jpg

Flight to come later (things to do today and because I am an idiot and didn't convert the AJ10-137 to AZ50 yet!)  But here is my Saturn VI.  It is a No J-2 challenge Saturn V with Hydrolox S-II and S-IVB.   Ok I know I created the challenge for myself but *SHRUG* :D

To make this work better would need completely new S-II to S-IVB inter-stage,   New S-IVB engine mount for 3 or 4x engines (I know they are coming!)  But the engines have to point straight down (I will have to retain the standard Saturn S-IVB inter-stage on this flight as it will hang on 2 of my 3 engines I have using the LASS engine mount.

A shorter S-II tank , AND OR a double LR87-LH2 Vac engine mount to allow enough thrust.   7 LR87LH2s are at 0.75 TWR for max S-II stage fuel.    I may just make that a alt engine patch for the LR87-5 double engine...  would use the sea level ISP on the dbl mount but would atleast get me the extra thrust needed.

S-IVB needed to be stretched for the ISP + reasonable TWR with the LR87-LH2s   I also considered a single LR87-LH2 + 2 A3 engines (RL10A-3 if you didn't know was briefly called the A-3 engine by NASA) (3 meter stretch)

All of this could have been built instead of the Saturn V we have.   I thought I would use the game to calculate out what was needed to get the magic Delta V to the moon in JNSQ and build a rocket with the appropriate stuff.       I could launch this on 5 F-1s but found the TWR to be dicey and increase the chance of a failure (using R/W metrics)

S-IC stage  Stretched  (6meter) 6 engine with standard F-1s (no F-1As here)  TWR 1.47 at launch

S-II stage:   7 engine mount, default length and 80% fuel and Ox  LR87 LH-2 Vac engines

S-IVB stage 3Meter stretch, LASS engine mount with 3x LR87-LH2-VAC engines,   Outer engines are twisted inward slightly to hopefully (but not likely) clear the interstage

standard LM and standard Munnar Apollo J class SM

and the rookie move:

7LvCoYv.jpg

Edited by Pappystein

35 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Try lobbing it or taking a sharp gravity turn, spend more time horizontal than vertical. 

I'm trying all of these, the first stage cuts off around 20000m (in KSRSS 2.5x), then the S-IVB doesn't have enough TWR to get the rest of the way.

40 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

Okay I'm back again with the CSM/Saturn 1B problem. Still cannot get it into orbit. Tried removing ablator, supplies, SM is on orbital mode, tried different Mechjeb PVG settings, still falls short.

Are you using BDB-NIC?  It was causing an issues with the old (current release) Apollo parachutes which created excess drag on the Saturn 1B.  Other rockets have sufficient oomph to power through so it's less noticeable.  I don't know if this is still the case with the new Saturn revamp branch.

6 minutes ago, Friznit said:

Are you using BDB-NIC?  It was causing an issues with the old (current release) Apollo parachutes which created excess drag on the Saturn 1B.  Other rockets have sufficient oomph to power through so it's less noticeable.  I don't know if this is still the case with the new Saturn revamp branch.

No I'm not. I did an Apollo 5-style mission yesterday with just a LEM in the Saturn IB which worked just fine, but whenever I try with a CSM it just won't get into orbit.

1 hour ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Guys, i know many of you would like to have it but 1. it brings nothing to get cobalt and the rest of the team annoyed so heavy they loose the will to work on this in such a communicative way they are ( Thank´s for giving us the chance to give you sooo much input for every of the dev-cycles) and 2. There are more than enough options in BDB to build lifters that are just even more mighty than a C-8 would have been. Even before the ongoing update-cycle. You have something that you can´t bring into orbit on a Saturn V or an INT-21? Just strap on some 1208´s or AJ260´s or even some Saturn IC / MB-cores as Sideboosters on it. I really don´t see a need for an even heavier lifter in this mod because we have a lot of options for just that NOW. And we are getting a lot more of them in that said upgrade. The Saturn I-D-mount alone has the potential to give around 10-25 tons of transfer mass to given targets alone.

So please: Stop asking for a C-8, the Novas or other such things. If you really want one, than you can kitbash one with procedural tanks and tweakscale. Yes: there won´t be such nice textures and details as in this mod here, but it´s doable.

Sorry for that little rant. It´s just that i have enough from reading that C-8 and Nova questions every two or three pages again. And i am only a normal user following this threat since just before page 500 or so i think.

Oh and: A late congrats to page 900. Seems like this could become the first forum page i know of getting into a FOUR-diggit-Page-count soon. We can do that guys and girls :D

Edited by JoeSheridan

3 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Perhaps "NO C-8 OR NOVA!" should be added to the OP... :D

Better add a comment check to the KSP forum, like "It seems that your comment contains the words `C-8 Nova` and ends with a question mark. Are you really sure you want to ask that question? Also, C-8 isn't a Nova"

2 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Better add a comment check to the KSP forum, like "It seems that your comment contains the words `C-8 Nova` and ends with a question mark. Are you really sure you want to ask that question? Also, C-8 isn't a Nova"

Nice idea, but i think even that wouldn´t stop some people :D:D

33 minutes ago, JoeSheridan said:

Nice idea, but i think even that wouldn´t stop some people :D:D

actually most people.  :(     I have seen when someone posts a request for C-8.    Cobalt puts his flashy graphic saying basically NO.  And literally one post later (and several hours) someone will post a request for C-8.

I guess Trollz be Trollz  But still.  

4 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Why do so many people know about C-8? Was it featured in a popular TV series or something?

It is badly referenced on Wikipeda multiple times from other Saturn Articles for one thing.

Further, for a brief period in 1960-1961 time frame (prior to June 1961) it was the defacto All up launch option because they were doing EOR instead of LOR.     It was either build the spaceship in place with C-2 and C-3 or launch all at once with C-8

7 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

actually most people.  :(     I have seen when someone posts a request for C-8.    Cobalt puts his flashy graphic saying basically NO.  And literally one post later (and several hours) someone will post a request for C-8.

Everybody saying wen Saturn C-8 when what we all truly want is the Barbarian MM 4-titan engines variant

barbaria.jpg

8 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

There is an old joke. Russian, I think.

How Chinese broke through Pentagon firewalls:
	1) Every Chinese citizen had one try to guess the password.
	2) 95% guesses were "MaoZedong".
	3) After 824523592th try, Pentagon server agreed that its password is indeed "MaoZedong"

MaoZedong C-8 please :D

6 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Everybody saying wen Saturn C-8 when what we all truly want is the Barbarian MM 4-titan engines variant

barbaria.jpg

That's literally not even a Barbarian... speaking of things that space nerds are widely aware of but don't really get :P

It's actually mockup hardware for the real LDC, or at least one of them... from SpaceLaunchReport:

While it was working on Titan 3M for MOL, Martin Company put a good deal of effort into studies of "Large Diameter Core" (LDC) Titans to handle heavier MOL payloads in the future. These would have used four engines on a 180 inch (15 foot) diameter first stage. Martin went as far as building an LDC fuel tank with four LR87-AJ11 engines for transport testing during 1966-67 (oxidizer and fuel tanks would have shipped separately to the launch site).