[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

11 hours ago, Jso said:

Hey guys.  I'm doing a recreation of the Ares Mars Mission from the book Voyage in KSP with the JNSQ mod.  My take on Ares is a bit different, but it still uses Saturn MLV vehicles, and it's central core is based around a modified S-II stage - with lateral S-II's acting as boosters for the Trans - Mars - Injection.

Nice idea, and: So i am not the only one who likes the Mission Concept written down into that book. I am trying to do this in Stock, but with Kerbalism... so i have a lot of weight.

13 hours ago, VASMIR said:

Are there any ways I can null the boiloff thing?  I put a bunch of radiators on the ship and LH2 still boils away.  Or do I have to redesign the ship around CryoTanks instead?  Love your mod by the way.

I ran into that problem too and ended um in changing the BDB-Tanks in the MS-II Booster and the ET´s with upscaled stock tanks until it nearly fit the same Volume.... but the Powerneed for the active cooling killed the overall design concept. So it ended in a much different design. 

7 hours ago, Not a Spy said:

ah, yeah i feel ya there

i have a million rockets that could take a kiloton but are limited by horrible twr

That's usually a sign that the RL counterpart was optimized for GEO/GTO insertion, or that you built something that would, IRL, be such a rocket.

2 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

That's usually a sign that the RL counterpart was optimized for GEO/GTO insertion, or that you built something that would, IRL, be such a rocket.

I actually design this family of rocket especially for direct interplanetary mission as this point in the science run there is not much to do in kerbin system except rare biomes on mun and mimus. For manned mission that required LKO assembly I am using saturn multibody as it is quite cheper for 25t range Zeus will be cheaper for 80t+ onward with single F-1A booster compared to Saturn V-4 family

Edited by derega16

On 6/19/2020 at 10:56 AM, CobaltWolf said:

I know I have so many bugs and such to take care of with Gemini still but...

Wow, step away for ONE day and you miss AWESOME art!

Oh and WHAT bugs?   I have successfully used the Lunar SM and gotten around the Mun with a heavily boosted Titan IIIC (cause I don't fly efficient like) in JNSQ.....

Mind you I have been playing KSP only a little in the last couple months.... (Blowing things up in games gives me more joy these days than building things ATM..... )  

19 hours ago, DylanSemrau said:

e v e r y o n e   l i k e d   t h a t

Um, I hadn't when you posted that so.....   :D

Do you have any plan to add some obscure variant of RL-10 like methalox one? At least as part switch but as BDB use unique boil off mechanic not cryotank one I don't know if it can be use for methane or not

Edited by derega16

14 hours ago, derega16 said:

Do you have any plan to add some obscure variant of RL-10 like methalox one? At least as part switch but as BDB use unique boil off mechanic not cryotank one I don't know if it can be use for methane or not

idk about Methalox but I'm sure some obscure variants will make it in

jyqT4ND.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

51 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

RL-10C (non extensible versions) at last?

Looking at that image, I don't see why not. I'd have to make the wider lower bell anyways for the RL-10B-2. Be aware that they won't fit dual mounted. The RL-10A-4N (with the small extension) already is marginal, though IRL they almost touched as well. So there's no way the C versions would fit in the dual mount. Makes me wonder what the Atlas N12 looks like... but yeah, I'm not going to make an alternate engine mount to accomodate the larger/wider C versions. There's enough work going into this revamp as is :) Don't forget I still haven't even started on Centaur T or some of the smaller variants I've been promising for years to do...

15 hours ago, derega16 said:

Do you have an example of an engine in BDB that's been fired with Methalox that we can base it on?

56 minutes ago, Jso said:

Do you have an example of an engine in BDB that's been fired with Methalox that we can base it on?

Well, not methalox but modified RL-10-A-1 have been fired with Methane+FLOX and I read somewhere that Methalox version exist (Zubrin stated it on The case of mars) but I can't found the primary source about that actual experiment not from secondary statement.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19690014791.pdf

Edited by derega16

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Looking at that image, I don't see why not. I'd have to make the wider lower bell anyways for the RL-10B-2. Be aware that they won't fit dual mounted. The RL-10A-4N (with the small extension) already is marginal, though IRL they almost touched as well. So there's no way the C versions would fit in the dual mount. Makes me wonder what the Atlas N12 looks like... but yeah, I'm not going to make an alternate engine mount to accommodate the larger/wider C versions. There's enough work going into this revamp as is :) Don't forget I still haven't even started on Centaur T or some of the smaller variants I've been promising for years to do...

Nice! they will fit the Centaur V/A.C.E.S. engine mount ;)

2 hours ago, Jso said:

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

Well, not methalox but modified RL-10-A-1 have been fired with Methane+FLOX and I read somewhere that Methalox version exist (Zubrin stated it on The case of mars) but I can't found the primary source about that actual experiment not from secondary statement.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19690014791.pdf

If we were doing this we could also have a methalox config for the LMAE. Known as the RS18, it was considered for the Altair ascent stage but cancelled after failing to make the cut for the constellation program.

On 6/20/2020 at 5:30 PM, derega16 said:

Zeus V
This time 5 HG-3 First stage with two 4 E-1 Boosters, 6 RL 10B-2 Second stage. Payload 50t LKO

Basically my Zeus family is HG-3 based rocket with liquid boosters numbering depended on number of HG-3 on the first stage

What have been made so far

Zeus I 2.5 stage 1 HG-3 4 H-1 Firststage using Fatlas engine mount on Titan LDC tank ,2 RL-10 Second 10t LKO

Zeus V this

Zeus VII 7 HG-3 core 2x 1 F-1 booster 70t LKO 

Maybe make Zeus III next,what I think is Titan LDC core with 3 HG-3 with strap on booster maybe use whole Titan III 1st stage but not sure about TWR yet aiming for 20-30t payload

4wGThB2.jpg

yAX7Po2.jpg

NKsacum.jpg

1QDwAmz.jpg

VcTaELN.jpg

H4oekv5.jpg

Ovs4qEs.jpg

Second stage Raised orbit to 300x300 for safe depature burn to Moho (first attempt I tried at 100x100...Perigee end up in atmosphere while burning and the whole thing burned)

Payload 12.38t Moho relay and lander

5qCGMlU.jpgB1Xu6PR.jpg

From left to right 1. Solar electric insertion stage and relay dV 5.5 km/s 2.Lander breaking stage dV 1.4 km/s  3. Biome hopper lander dV 1.3 km/s

what mod adds the engine to the second stage

i would also like to add that i have been having an issue with scatterer that started when i downloaded this mod, has this happened before?

8 minutes ago, Not a Spy said:

what mod adds the engine to the second stage

i would also like to add that i have been having an issue with scatterer that started when i downloaded this mod, has this happened before?

Please stop including the quoted messages ' images in your posts , it massively increases your posts length