[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, Zorg said:

Skylab science. (in addition to the ATM of course). All of these are separate parts.

unknown.png?width=1380&height=843

unknown.png?width=1249&height=844

unknown.png?width=1381&height=844

RCS

unknown.png

All the core parts except the fairing are now modelled.

edit: forgot an antenna on the ATM :P

unknown.png?width=1216&height=844

Those Science Look Epic Can't Wait To Use Them On My NASA WB-57F Plane In Kerbal

I'm 100% that this is a PEBKAC error: I've been away for quite a while. I'm running the release version of BDB on 1.10, 2.5x stock system. Currently trying to launch Ranger 1 on an Atlas LV-3A. I get up to about mach 2-2.5 at around 10-12km and it just falls off it's tail and breaks up. Kinda like real NASA rockets did... So what am I doing wrong? I'm leaning over gracefully and I'm probably somewhere between 30 and 45 off vertical by the failure point. Mechjeb nor myself can keep the nose centered in the velocity vector at max Q.

6 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

I'm 100% that this is a PEBKAC error: I've been away for quite a while. I'm running the release version of BDB on 1.10, 2.5x stock system. Currently trying to launch Ranger 1 on an Atlas LV-3A. I get up to about mach 2-2.5 at around 10-12km and it just falls off it's tail and breaks up. Kinda like real NASA rockets did... So what am I doing wrong? I'm leaning over gracefully and I'm probably somewhere between 30 and 45 off vertical by the failure point. Mechjeb nor myself can keep the nose centered in the velocity vector at max Q.

Finally got past the danger point. But it was a close thing. I think I need to lower the booster auto jet G force to 3...

42 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

2.5x KSRSS here, zero problems with MJ (except when you input bad parameters, of course). Do you use PVG? Generally "light" Atlases (Able, Agena, Mercury, SRM uppers) fly quite well with its default "50/0.5" formula.

As for booster skirt jettisoning - see here: Atlas · friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki Wiki (github.com)

Basically, you want to jettison the skirt as soon as core's TWR is bigger than 1.

Edited by biohazard15

16 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

2.5x KSRSS here, zero problems with MJ (except when you input bad parameters, of course). Do you use PVG? Generally "light" Atlases (Able, Agena, Mercury, SRM uppers) fly quite well with its default "50/0.5" formula.

As for booster skirt jettisoning - see here: Atlas · friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki Wiki (github.com)

Basically, you want to jettison the skirt as soon as core's TWR is bigger than 1.

I have not unlocked any guidance other than smartASS at the moment. I kind of have to hand fly it using the Surface modes. I didn't have a problem with Mercury-Atlas. I think it's just the light upper stage with the fairing. It's just touchy to fly, as it should be.

Unrelated note. This is the first time I've encountered BDB contracts. Most of them are locked. The ones that confuse me are Lithobraking, aim at another planet and miss. I have all the prereqs met, yet they won't let me agree to them.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:53 AM, bjornadri said:

hi guys, just wanted to report a bug i noticed with the latest version, as the telescope flap on the hermes pod opens automatically upon selecting it and there does not seem to be an option to close it in the right-click-menu

Was this ever fixed? Cause I just have it open right from the start...

19 minutes ago, VostokV5 said:

I want to change the value of a part's maxTemp. What does the "// =" mean?

maxTemp = 2000 // = 2900

Its a comment. Anything after a // will not count as part of the code in that line. Probably that was the old value and it was kept as reference.

The BDB contracts are confusing me. I want to do the one titled "Aim at another planet and miss". I can't accept bird because it says the pre-req may only have 6 offered/active BDB contracts at a time is unmet. I have 6 offered and none active. Even when I cheat and accept one and then using F12 I complete it, it now says that's met, but it's still not usable. I click off of it and come back and it's back to unmet. What gives?

4 hours ago, birdog357 said:

Just worked my way up to Gemini. Wow. Great models with great features. I can't wait to see if the Gusmobile flys as good as she looks.

She does fly as good as she looks, although the RW torque is way too high. It's unusable by hand. I had to keep toggling it on and off because MJ can't use only RCS to aim and RW is too strong for hand flying. I do enjoy full manual docking looking out the left hand window. I don't even have SAS on.

53 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

She does fly as good as she looks, although the RW torque is way too high. It's unusable by hand. I had to keep toggling it on and off because MJ can't use only RCS to aim and RW is too strong for hand flying. I do enjoy full manual docking looking out the left hand window. I don't even have SAS on.

Would recommend using Mandatory RCS, or just turning off the reaction wheels. Either works, and you can fly a full mission easily without the wheels.

28 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

Would recommend using Mandatory RCS, or just turning off the reaction wheels. Either works, and you can fly a full mission easily without the wheels.

I normally don't use RW. But mechjeb drastically overshoots the mark and yo-yos, wasting fuel and time. That's an MJ problem though.

Been working on pioneer, found a couple proposals centered around a Saturn/Uranus atmosphere probe.

E8SrLPDUUAAQnrJ?format=jpg&name=large
E8SrLPEVgAQAFmv?format=jpg&name=large
E8SrLQBVoAIBglx?format=jpg&name=900x900

Since I’m already doing a few pioneer proposal parts (specifically pioneer orbiter) it wouldn’t hurt to make a couple more. I did find a few other proposals that were very out there but those seem a little more ambitious and I will probably just stick with the atmosphere probe for now. 

21 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Been working on pioneer, found a couple proposals centered around a Saturn/Uranus atmosphere probe.

Since I’m already doing a few pioneer proposal parts (specifically pioneer orbiter) it wouldn’t hurt to make a couple more. I did find a few other proposals that were very out there but those seem a little more ambitious and I will probably just stick with the atmosphere probe for now. 

If you haven't yet I suggest taking a look at this: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19750010215

unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

And this: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19750012297

unknown.png

35 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Every time I hear of ANOTHER scrapped concept for Uranus/Neptune I whimper a little.

Anyways, very cool!

20 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Every time I hear of ANOTHER scrapped concept for Uranus/Neptune I whimper a little.

Anyways, very cool!

Yea it’s quite interesting that the original proposal was for Uranus/Saturn and not Jupiter. If I recall correctly, when this mission was first proposed, scientists worried that the heat shield technology they had for such a project was not advanced enough to enter Jupiter’s atmosphere, and Uranus/Saturn was chosen because they would be less taxing on the heat shield.

34 minutes ago, Beccab said:

If you haven't yet I suggest taking a look at this: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19750010215

unknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

And this: https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19750012297

unknown.png

Thanks for the images! Thank god for NTRS, I got my hands on a few couple hundred page documents on these proposals.

3 hours ago, birdog357 said:

The BDB contracts are confusing me. I want to do the one titled "Aim at another planet and miss". I can't accept bird because it says the pre-req may only have 6 offered/active BDB contracts at a time is unmet. I have 6 offered and none active. Even when I cheat and accept one and then using F12 I complete it, it now says that's met, but it's still not usable. I click off of it and come back and it's back to unmet. What gives?

Made some progress here. I accepted all 6 offered BDB contracts and then cheated them all to completion. Aim at the moon and miss then became available. As soon as I accepted, the contracts regened on me and now I have 5 offered and 1 accepted.

6 hours ago, birdog357 said:

Made some progress here. I accepted all 6 offered BDB contracts and then cheated them all to completion. Aim at the moon and miss then became available. As soon as I accepted, the contracts regened on me and now I have 5 offered and 1 accepted.

Sorry the contracts were made by a kind community member, the main BDB team isnt too familiar with the system. If you have further problems it would be great if you could detail the bugs on the BDB Github issues page, and perhaps @Morphisor who made them might be able to have a look when they have time.

10 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Awesome! I've just been offered contracts for atmosphere probes (KSRSS has its own contract pack), so I'll now wait for the proper tool.

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-09_19-14-49.png?width=1500&height=844

Some of the smaller skylab components textured and ready :) 

top left:  S192 Multispectral scanner, S193 Microwave radiometer/altimeter

middle: radial attachment port in 3 colours, RCS, ATM antenna, solar radio burst antenna, S191 IR spectrometer, S194 L barnd radiometer and proton spectrometer

bottom: discone antenna

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-09_20-47-11.png?width=1373&height=844

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-09_20-47-55.png?width=1500&height=844

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-09_16-48-47.png?width=1500&height=844

Edited by Zorg

On 8/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, birdog357 said:

23 hours ago, birdog357 said:

16 hours ago, Zorg said:

Sorry the contracts were made by a kind community member, the main BDB team isnt too familiar with the system. If you have further problems it would be great if you could detail the bugs on the BDB Github issues page, and perhaps @Morphisor who made them might be able to have a look when they have time.

As far as I can tell from your posts, @birdog357 you're running into a contract configurator limitation. What's happening is that I limited the amount of contracts BDB can offer at any one time, to prevent your mission control being spammed by them (there's 13 in total if memory serves).

What happens next is down to the contract generation done by contract configurator, not the contracts themselves. Unfortunately this system sometimes just doesn't load in a specific contract even when conditions are met. I've done a lot of testing on this myself, and the only advice I can give you is, that if you REALLY want a specific mission, you're just gonna have to accept and decline missions until the generator rngesus smiles on you. Sometimes it helps fast-forwarding time a bunch of days.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Contract configurator is a great addition to the game but has a bunch of limitations and oddities in it.