[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I would like to pass on my thanks to @Hatattack, @biohazard15, and @Jso for their tips and tricks for using BDB with KSRSS, and to @Friznitfor the excellent Wiki page on launches and trajectories. It helped a lot and my Saturn 1B now flies like a champ. I now have a better handle on using PVG on MechJeb. It makes a difference! 

44 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I would like to pass on my thanks to @Hatattack, @biohazard15, and @Jso for their tips and tricks for using BDB with KSRSS, and to @Friznitfor the excellent Wiki page on launches and trajectories. It helped a lot and my Saturn 1B now flies like a champ. I now have a better handle on using PVG on MechJeb. It makes a difference! 

Thanks but while the overall wiki is mine, that page is all @Zorg so he should rightly get the credit for an excellent guide!

7 hours ago, TruthfulGnome said:

Does this mean the chance of the other Big Gemini :PBig G”: Getting to Orbit Post-Apollo | False Steps
Big Gemini Fantastic Plastic Models
Ninfinger Productions: Scale Models

you mean ONE of the two other Big G? :)

Using KSP scales for the diameters...

there is the 3.125ish one that is in game.  (the So called MIN MOD for launch on Titan III rockets)

the 3.75m Cylinder... which is not

and the 4.25m Cone.

The 3.125ish one and the 3.75m one would interface with a shortened SLA.   The 4.25 cone would have an interestage created new in-place of the SLA.

5 hours ago, Jcking said:

Bit of a stretch, but is the INT-20 cargo/propulsion module something you would consider?

Hide contents

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37347.0;

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=37347.0;

Wow you are lucky to have a copy of those documents.  

Edited by Pappystein

Whats coming next?

VFB of course to catch up with the functionality of the old skylab. Keep in mind all the VFB parts here are not textured, they're using temporary materials to help visualise.

unknown.png?width=753&height=652

The SM for the Apollo is meant to have dual LMDEs for redundancy and for increased space for the mission module. For now you can get by with one but Cobalt will make a dual mount at some point. You dont have room for a full SPS. 

Worth noting that the real design calls for only the top of the SLA panels covering the gap to be jettisoned and the rest to be retained as MM shielding but we're not going to do that in order to have a more interesting model and textures for the mission module.

unknown.png?width=855&height=652

Multi experiment boom in an aerodynamic housing.

unknown.png?width=834&height=652

12x solar panels serve double duty as micrometeorite shielding (yes really!)

unknown.png?width=1035&height=653

Some aspects of how the solars will be functional and protected during ascent in game are still being discussed but this is the basic idea.

unknown.png?width=938&height=652

unknown.png?width=1060&height=653

We also have this unpressurized section below the mission module containing some life support greebles, a large telescope and a quad entry probe dispenser. The probe container and telescope are separate parts so you have options to configure as desired.

unknown.png?width=909&height=652

Entry probes have a solid rocket motor with sufficient Dv to change trajectory to enter the atmosphere roughly an hour before closest approach. They are launched sequentially for wider coverage. They dont have drag devices but were expected to survive impact (!)

18 hours ago, Jcking said:

Bit of a stretch, but is the INT-20 cargo/propulsion module something you would consider?

Anyone else like how that one clearly doesn't have a retro module? :P

It's not on my to-do list, no. Maybe some day. I'm more concerned with getting the "iconic" ones done proper.

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Whats coming next?

VFB of course to catch up with the functionality of the old skylab. Keep in mind all the VFB parts here are not textured, they're using temporary materials to help visualise.

Daaaaayum. I'm still head over heels that it will be a fully fleshed out build and not, like, a single part.

12 hours ago, Jcking said:

I wish I did have physical access to those, but those images were from a NSF thread in which somebody posted the illustrations from them. https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37347.80

I differentiate the two "main" Big G builds by study - the conical one (at the top of this page in the thread) is from the 1967 study, and the 'advanced' cylindrical one (which is in the mod now, but needs to be redone) is the 1969 study.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Hi, Playing on 1.12 with BDB. When I place a flag on the Mun, my kerbal does the animation, and then the game crashes. not sure if it's a BDB issue or what, but the crash log says a lot about BDB right at the end where it also mentions flags, 
Any help you could give, I'd  appreciate, even if it's not an entirely BDB Issue

Link to the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6u3nb9cfz2pxx4v/Player-prev.log?dl=0

4 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

It would be insane if these panels angled up or down to track 

Unfortunately KSP tracking solar panels have not limit, they rotate freely about the tracking pivot axis. The paper I have isnt super clear, but I think they would track across a certain arc yes IRL.

19 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

I mean considering how dense the Venusian atmosphere is, is them surviving impact really out of the question? 

Not really, Im not questioning the possibility, I was just surprised reading through it though given the shape I thought it would be purely atmospheric. it was supposed to have Balsa wood up front to cushion the impact although the feasibility depended on final probe density. The plans on this report were very preliminary and high level, the probe designs were quite notional.

Hi everyone!
After years, I'm back to KSP, and obviously with BDB.

Today menu:

kitbashing my own version of a Nova/Saturn C-8, for a direct mission to the Mun:

BgQhkTM.jpg

I have just to solve the "little" problem with the piping of the 8x F1 engines in the first stage: forcing them to surface attack with EEX is not working to feed them with fuel.

EDIT:
It was not an F1 problem.....
... but more about a faulty MM patch made by me (used to convert/update some old tanks, included the 7m used here as first stage) ispired by the ones made for CryoTanks. Quite difficoult to feed some LOX engine, if the main tank is an Liquid H/OX one:blush2:

Back to the design board...........

Edited by Araym

17 hours ago, Zorg said:

Whats coming next?

The SM for the Apollo is meant to have dual LMDEs for redundancy and for increased space for the mission module. For now you can get by with one but Cobalt will make a dual mount at some point. You dont have room for a full SPS. 

Worth noting that the real design calls for only the top of the SLA panels covering the gap to be jettisoned and the rest to be retained as MM shielding but we're not going to do that in order to have a more interesting model and textures for the mission module.

Some aspects of how the solars will be functional and protected during ascent in game are still being discussed but this is the basic idea.

We also have this unpressurized section below the mission module containing some life support greebles, a large telescope and a quad entry probe dispenser. The probe container and telescope are separate parts so you have options to configure as desired.

Entry probes have a solid rocket motor with sufficient Dv to change trajectory to enter the atmosphere roughly an hour before closest approach. They are launched sequentially for wider coverage. They dont have drag devices but were expected to survive impact (!)

I love sending astronauts all the way to Venus to accomplish less science than you could with an unmanned mission and for far more money :)

21 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

I love sending astronauts all the way to Venus to accomplish less science than you could with an unmanned mission and for far more money :)

Honestly in real life the Soviet crewed mars flyby made a lot more sense, it spent a year next to Mars with next to no light speed delay. There was a lot of rover stuff that could have been done that way

Has anyone else experienced severe aerodynamic problems when flying Thor derivatives? With a lot of them I can’t even exceed a two or three degree angle of attack without the entire rocket flipping over and trying to stabilize itself on the retrograde vector, and neither stock SAS nor MechJeb SmartASS can keep the vehicle under control. The effect is worse on Thrust-Augmented Thor/Delta and Thor-Agena, and virtually unmanageable when the two are combined on Thorad or TAT-Agena. Honestly, trying to keep the vehicles on the right heading during the early stages of flight feels like trying to press two magnets with the same polarization together, or trying to balance a yardstick on the palm of your hand.

I’m guessing one of the parts (maybe in the Agena) at the top of the rocket is causing way more drag than it should be, causing the booster to be unstable in prograde and stable in retrograde, but I don’t know for sure. Also FWIW I’m playing in KSRSS but I don’t have any mods that would (to my knowledge) affect aerodynamics, and I also experienced the same problem to a lesser extent in JNSQ earlier this year.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

3 hours ago, Birdman31 said:

hello im having issues with the these bits of fairing that go on the lunar module adapter base. have i not installed something correctly? https://imgur.com/a/wvql26V

Please make sure you dont have saturn rescale from extras installed. 

15 hours ago, sergeikat said:

Hi, Playing on 1.12 with BDB. When I place a flag on the Mun, my kerbal does the animation, and then the game crashes. not sure if it's a BDB issue or what, but the crash log says a lot about BDB right at the end where it also mentions flags, 
Any help you could give, I'd  appreciate, even if it's not an entirely BDB Issue

Link to the log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6u3nb9cfz2pxx4v/Player-prev.log?dl=0

Does this happen regularly? What if you land on the Mun with a non BDB craft? 

Unfortunately I cant make sense of the log, perhaps someone else can. The BDB errors in there are related to some colliders, but Im not sure if thats even relevant here sorry.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Does this happen regularly? What if you land on the Mun with a non BDB craft? 

Unfortunately I cant make sense of the log, perhaps someone else can. The BDB errors in there are related to some colliders, but Im not sure if thats even relevant here sorry.

in terms of the flag on the Mun, it happens 100% of the attempts to place it. I'll test it with a non-BDB craft tonight, will take a little time to put one together for a mission. I have also tested planting a flag just on the runway with the BDB lander, seems to have the same effect as on the Mun. 

Will get back to you on the first part though, and hopefully someone can make sense of the log, I spent 20 minutes reading through it but couldn't find anything useful, other than, like you say, the BDB colliders that may not even be the problem. 
I have a fairly large modlist, if it would help I can link that, I wonder if you'd be able to (if they exist) Spot any incompatabilities that may cause issues.

Edited by sergeikat

On 9/9/2021 at 6:27 AM, Zorg said:

Whats coming next?

My goodness is this ETS type stuff? Next big update is gonna be amazing!

On 9/9/2021 at 6:27 AM, Zorg said:

Looking Great,   Does this mean we are going to want to have FRMS so we can land those probes?

2 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

My goodness is this ETS type stuff? Next big update is gonna be amazing!

No, this is REAL NASA stuff not ETS alt timeline stuff

Although you could use the parts for an ETS game