[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Hey guys !

Quick question: I remember using BDB's parts a long time ago, but I can't recall if the guidance pod (the pointy nose) used on this rocked was from the mod? If so, does someone knows which one it is, I can't find it in my tech tree...

Thanks ! :)

20211123135851-1.jpg

Edited by LetMePickThat

16 minutes ago, LetMePickThat said:

Hey guys !

Quick question: I remember using BDB's parts a long time ago, but I can't recall if the guidance pod (the pointy nose) used on this rocked was from the mod? If so, does someone knows which one it is, I can't find it in my tech tree...

Thanks ! :)

Believe it's Wre sat, but I'm booting up to check memory...

The Integrated Program Plan (1969)
Manned martian landing, part two
XGZYEfW.png

This second part of the mission shows on the real focus of the Integrated Program Plan manned mars mission, which is arrival, landing and return. Most of the text here is paraphrased from the original presentation of the IPP to Nixon's space task group which can be found here:
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/19690804_manned_mars_landing_presentation_to_the_space_task_group_by_dr._wernher_von_braun.pdf

The mission starts right from where the last post ended, with the acceleration of the twin spacecrafts  by the two side nuclear shuttles to trans-Mars injection velocity. These are then shut down, separated from the planetary vehicle and then retro-fired to place them on a highly elliptic path returning to the original assembly orbit altitude. After a coast of several days, the nuclear shuttles arrive at the original assembly orbit altitude and are retro-fired again to place them into a circular orbit where they rendevouz with their refuelling depot for reuse in geosynchronous or lunar missions.

Zns6fOL.png

W6gY5Kh.png8YrcavJ.pngeCuOHrF.pnglcbCtr3.pngRDI8NpY.pngTbGPfDq.png

Spoiler

1080_1022_03.jpg?w=1024

The ability of man to withstand a zero gravity environment for periods of time exceeding a few weeks was still an unknown at the time. Because of this, the option to provide artificial gravity for the crew during the planetary trip was kept open, and in case early missions indicated the need for artificial gravity the two spaceships could be docked end-to-end and rotated in the plane of the longitudinal axis during extended coast periods.

bg4dh34.pngnNQehNN.pngVKQkRUc.pngiqliHsZ.pnglJeNEfF.png

Spoiler

1080_1022_06.jpg?w=1024

During the outbound coast to Mars of approximately nine months, the crew conducts experimental activities such as solar and planetary observations: solar wind measurements, and biological monitoring of the crew, test plants, and animals. At the end of this period, final space vehicle checkout for the Mars orbit insertion maneuver is followed by the retro-fire of the nuclear engine to place the planetary vehicle into an elliptical Mars orbit. The orbit at Mars is elliptical both to reduce fuel requirements for the mission and allow a wider range of planet coverage by optical observations at the cost of requiring a beefier ascent stage on the lander
ETuqahz.png

Spoiler

MMU inspired from this:
0477_031021_02.jpg

reGQSU3.pngWOPRQDL.pngNiSwES7.pngp4c2Kvk.png

The various Viking landers of IPP provided important clues concerning the existence of life on Mars, but did not fully answer the questions as to the possible pathogenic nature of such life. Hence, on the first manned mission, it was be desirable to obtain surface samples prior to the actual human landing and subsequent contamination of the planet, using 12 sterile sample return probes carried on the transfer spacecrafts.
ROrKk1U.png

6uJeb0D.pngTQO4hMZ.pngJcdBWTF.png8WoeM7q.pngfzzSNit.pnghFCVLDh.png

9A7uZHF.png

Spoiler

1979rover2.jpg

Sample gathering and launch:

9RyEKYv.pngmaphnx5.pngFL36CQ6.pngEa9FxC5.pngzI1nX5v.png3oSV3A6.pngSg1qao7.png3KfBoQ3.png

Spoiler

1080_1022_08.jpg?w=1024

Once the analysis has revealed no significant biological hazards, the Mars Excursion Module can then proceed to the surface and the samples could be returned to Earth for more detailed analysis, along with the more selective (but perhaps Earth-contaminated) samples obtained by the crew. It's time for three brave people then board the MEM, undock from the main spacecraft and prepare for reentry
m7S000f.png

7BYurVz.pngSwNpOcz.png5cMr6S5.pngolgDA1V.pngWsMEImh.pngrL1iGmk.png
Ballute deploy
brf33UK.pngFWNuG62.png
At this point, the protective shroud is deployed: in case the descent engine has a problem, this is the moment to abort to orbit with the ascent stage and cancel the landing. Not this time though:P
LaXBlOt.pngVtt8bJP.pngdfC95qN.pngkYenS9l.png0tRyy8c.png

Houston, Acidalia base here. The MEM has landed!
0U8HAW8.png

Spoiler

DuNGMu9VsAEAMz7?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Mars surface activity on the first mission is similar in many ways to the one of Apollo 11. Notable, however, is the much longer stay time (30-60 days per MEM), thus allowing more extensive observations, experimentation and execution of mission scientific objectives. Surface operations include experiments to be performed in the MEM laboratory as well as the external operations on Mars' surface.
fBJrR2P.png

A small, life-support augumentation rover also allows trips to interesting surface features beyond the immediate landing area.

Spoiler

1091_1022_02.jpg

FhqrwAo.pngeNN6XQP.pngXMppjiZ.png

Spoiler

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35520.0;

After 30 days have passed, the crew returns with 90 pounds of samples inside the ascent stage of the MEM and prepares for liftoff. In case the ascent engine doesn't relight and the crew is stranded the second MEM is launched with only one person on a rescue mission; but luckily, that isn't the case here either

6p0lTVi.pngmzW3GM5.pngSQCAAo4.pngOFihe1F.pngStaging
8wsxmY8.png94WeLip.pngwTL7SJc.pngNEi7vt4.png9DeRrPQ.png

Spoiler

1080_1022_10.jpg?w=1024

Docking:

UKdjsZX.pngJbgjF4W.pngNuZiWss.pngylbNuMi.png

At the completion of the 80-day period at Mars, the ascent stage and remaining MEM are discarded and transfer spaceships will begin the return leg of the journey. The nuclear stage is ignited for this propulsive maneuver, boosting each spaceship out of Mars orbit. With the extensive Mars exploration activities behind them, the crew at this point can begin a more thorough analysis of the data and samples gathered at Mars, and prepare for the next major milestone of the trip - a close encounter with the planet Venus.

cIlodow.png

i77fZQb.pngt1aZD98.png6KM3NpH.png

As the twin spacecrafts gain speed and near the closest approach of the Venus flyby, four entry probes are deployed to study the atmosphere of the planet in what is effectively the last phase of the mission before returning to Earth while the crews conduct radar mapping of the surface
B5hfKEF.png

WHwifUr.pngLwWqLUU.pngc1rUAjE.png78dw4KH.pngXAJpo1c.pngTPS53w1.png

Spoiler

1080_1022_15.jpg?w=1024

Two years have passed since the people on board last saw the Earth, and the time has come for the mission to end: the nuclear stages activate for one last time, bringing the crew into LEO to dock to the space base that is waiting for their arrival.
TM9aXj4.png

The year is now 1983: there are orbiters around mars and venus, massive space stations in lunar orbit and GEO, rovers on Mars and more than 50 people have landed on the Moon. And now, the first people in history have returned after setting foot on Mars, with many more to follow.

This is what the Integrated Program Plan was

On 2/6/2022 at 10:59 AM, Galileo chiu said:

can we have the Shuttle/StarClipper on KerbalX?

Oh, and I almost forgot -  here you go
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uH4D8O1CBUDfKZugCmUAIEy0pl9ta3xS?usp=sharing
There's a lot of required mods - Tantares, BDB, OPT, ConformalDecals, Cormorant, Restock, the SSME variants plugin and X-33/Venturestar are the first that come to my mind, but there may be more

I'll try to get it on kerbalx too if necessary

Edited by Beccab

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

i have a vewwy good fwiend in wome named Biggus Geeus

(he has a wife, u know)

HZiWM3T.png
Zb8zPBK.png
xt3N23Y.png
XA0Gmzq.png

Love it! How will the weight compare to an orbital config Apollo CSM + SLA? Thinking about performance issues with the Saturn IB.  I still think you should call it “Bell” instead of Leo. ;)

Just now, DaveyJ576 said:

Love it! How will the weight compare to an orbital config Apollo CSM + SLA? Thinking about performance issues with the Saturn IB.  I still think you should call it “Bell” instead of Leo. ;)

how about ''Cronus''? or ''Corn''?

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

XGZYEfW.png

This second part of the mission shows on the real focus of the Integrated Program Plan manned mars mission, which is arrival, landing and return. Most of the text here is paraphrased from the original presentation of the IPP to Nixon's space task group which can be found here:
https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/19690804_manned_mars_landing_presentation_to_the_space_task_group_by_dr._wernher_von_braun.pdf

The mission starts right from where the last post ended, with the acceleration of the twin spacecrafts  by the two side nuclear shuttles to trans-Mars injection velocity. These are then shut down, separated from the planetary vehicle and then retro-fired to place them on a highly elliptic path returning to the original assembly orbit altitude. After a coast of several days, the nuclear shuttles arrive at the original assembly orbit altitude and are retro-fired again to place them into a circular orbit where they rendevouz with their refuelling depot for reuse in geosynchronous or lunar missions.

Zns6fOL.png

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_03.jpg?w=1024

The ability of man to withstand a zero gravity environment for periods of time exceeding a few weeks was still an unknown at the time. Because of this, the option to provide artificial gravity for the crew during the planetary trip was kept open, and in case early missions indicated the need for artificial gravity the two spaceships could be docked end-to-end and rotated in the plane of the longitudinal axis during extended coast periods.

Hide contents

1080_1022_06.jpg?w=1024

During the outbound coast to Mars of approximately nine months, the crew conducts experimental activities such as solar and planetary observations: solar wind measurements, and biological monitoring of the crew, test plants, and animals. At the end of this period, final space vehicle checkout for the Mars orbit insertion maneuver is followed by the retro-fire of the nuclear engine to place the planetary vehicle into an elliptical Mars orbit. The orbit at Mars is elliptical both to reduce fuel requirements for the mission and allow a wider range of planet coverage by optical observations at the cost of requiring a beefier ascent stage on the lander
ETuqahz.png

Hide contents

MMU inspired from this:
0477_031021_02.jpg

The various Viking landers of IPP provided important clues concerning the existence of life on Mars, but did not fully answer the questions as to the possible pathogenic nature of such life. Hence, on the first manned mission, it was be desirable to obtain surface samples prior to the actual human landing and subsequent contamination of the planet, using 12 sterile sample return probes carried on the transfer spacecrafts.
ROrKk1U.png

9A7uZHF.png

Hide contents

1979rover2.jpg

Sample gathering and launch:

Hide contents

1080_1022_08.jpg?w=1024

Once the analysis has revealed no significant biological hazards, the Mars Excursion Module can then proceed to the surface and the samples could be returned to Earth for more detailed analysis, along with the more selective (but perhaps Earth-contaminated) samples obtained by the crew. It's time for three brave people then board the MEM, undock from the main spacecraft and prepare for reentry
m7S000f.png

Houston, Acidalia base here. The MEM has landed!
0U8HAW8.png

Hide contents

DuNGMu9VsAEAMz7?format=jpg&name=900x900

The Mars surface activity on the first mission is similar in many ways to the one of Apollo 11. Notable, however, is the much longer stay time (30-60 days per MEM), thus allowing more extensive observations, experimentation and execution of mission scientific objectives. Surface operations include experiments to be performed in the MEM laboratory as well as the external operations on Mars' surface.
fBJrR2P.png

A small, life-support augumentation rover also allows trips to interesting surface features beyond the immediate landing area.

Reveal hidden contents

1091_1022_02.jpg

Hide contents

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35520.0;

After 30 days have passed, the crew returns with 90 pounds of samples inside the ascent stage of the MEM and prepares for liftoff. In case the ascent engine doesn't relight and the crew is stranded the second MEM is launched with only one person on a rescue mission; but luckily, that isn't the case here either

Hide contents

1080_1022_10.jpg?w=1024

Docking:

At the completion of the 80-day period at Mars, the ascent stage and remaining MEM are discarded and transfer spaceships will begin the return leg of the journey. The nuclear stage is ignited for this propulsive maneuver, boosting each spaceship out of Mars orbit. With the extensive Mars exploration activities behind them, the crew at this point can begin a more thorough analysis of the data and samples gathered at Mars, and prepare for the next major milestone of the trip - a close encounter with the planet Venus.

cIlodow.png

As the twin spacecrafts gain speed and near the closest approach of the Venus flyby, four entry probes are deployed to study the atmosphere of the planet in what is effectively the last phase of the mission before returning to Earth while the crews conduct radar mapping of the surface
B5hfKEF.png

Reveal hidden contents

1080_1022_15.jpg?w=1024

Two years have passed since the people on board last saw the Earth, and the time has come for the mission to end: the nuclear stages activate for one last time, bringing the crew into LEO to dock to the space base that is waiting for their arrival.
TM9aXj4.png

The year is now 1983: there are orbiters around mars and venus, massive space stations in lunar orbit and GEO, rovers on Mars and more than 50 people have landed on the Moon. And now, the first people in history have returned after setting foot on Mars, with many more to follow.

This is what the Integrated Program Plan was

Oh, and I almost forgot -  here you go
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uH4D8O1CBUDfKZugCmUAIEy0pl9ta3xS?usp=sharing
There's a lot of required mods - Tantares, BDB, OPT, ConformalDecals, Cormorant, Restock, the SSME variants plugin and X-33/Venturestar are the first that come to my mind, but there may be more

I'll try to get it on kerbalx too if necessary

Dear God, the complexity of this craft/scene is absolutely MIND-BENDING.

35 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Dear God, the complexity of this craft/scene is absolutely MIND-BENDING.

I stopped counting the number of times my pc crashed where the twin spacecrafts were in the same scene. With that plus the fact that I had to rewrite the whole post three times due to firefox doing firefox things, I think I'll take a break for a few days from that stuff now :P

At least I can finally close the 20 or so tabs I had to leave open for reference pics!

Edited by Beccab

19 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Perhaps you should call it the Eustace!

R-3.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=767&h=450&dpr=1.

19 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Big G wouldn't have ever launched on Saturn 1B. It would've either been some Titan variant (IIIM or IIIG which is a "wide" Titan), Saturn INT-11 (Saturn 1 with UA120s) or Saturn INT-20 (S-IVB + S-1C).

Honestly? Given how marginal the Saturn 1B is on performance, I'm ok with pushing players to just upgrade to something a bit more substantial for alt hist stuff.

35 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Some more update images on the Big G. It's going to have it's own upgraded parachutes and nose, since that was a complaint a lot of people shared about the current half-implemented Big G.

FLghg9cXMAEl7Pz?format=png&name=small
FLghiQxXIAc69aS?format=png&name=900x900
FLghkBhXEAEYOMB?format=png&name=small

Looks good. But I wanted to ask: for what diameter is the service module made?

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@Beccab Where did you get the MEM modules  and viking landers or did you kitbash?

The base of the MEM is from here: 

However, I redid everything else to make it look closer to the BDB detailment level, and in fact I couldn't really do much to hide that the cockpit is just the white BDB apollo capsule with a few decals and a different nosecone

The sample return probe and rover instead is completely kitbashed, mostly from Universal Storage and BDB itself. It's not Viking btw, but you're right that there was a proposal for a sample return variant of it
unknown.png

However, I preferred to recreate the probe they put in the IPP graphics as best as I could since I couldn't find what design it was actually representing here:

https://e05code.files.wordpress.com/2021/11/1080_1022_08.jpg?w=1123&h=&zoom=2

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Big G wouldn't have ever launched on Saturn 1B. It would've either been some Titan variant (IIIM or IIIG which is a "wide" Titan), Saturn INT-11 (Saturn 1 with UA120s) or Saturn INT-20 (S-IVB + S-1C).

Honestly? Given how marginal the Saturn 1B is on performance, I'm ok with pushing players to just upgrade to something a bit more substantial for alt hist stuff.

the fact that this gives Saturn INT-11 a canonical payload makes me sad

because I don't like INT-11

literally the only directly-Saturn 1B-derived INT that is very hard to fly

On 2/13/2022 at 12:50 PM, Beccab said:

Friggin BadS!!!!

I'd love to see your take on a full IPP moonbase mission if you're up to it, though obviously not until after a well-deserved break!

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Some more update images on the Big G. It's going to have it's own upgraded parachutes and nose, since that was a complaint a lot of people shared about the current half-implemented Big G.

Could you also add a proper launch escape tower for it as well? I believe that was part of the plans for Big BasicallyCleanSheetInGemini'sClothing

Edited by billbobjebkirk
escape

Pretty much all of the generic BDB fairing bases had 3 paint switches: white, black, and gray (metal). However the generic 2.5m fairing base did not. As the white base did not look the best while using the SIV fairing and the black SA-6 textures for SIV, I wanted to make paint switches for this fairing base. Unfortunately, it did not have its own texture and shared a texture with the 2.5m DCSS interstage. So, to make the rest of the texture space useful, I also made blue and green paint variants for the 2.5m DCSS interstage. Now on github!

screenshot391.png
screenshot392.png