[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, Shlyopa said:

Cool, blue sofi, 11/10. I think SRBs should be lowered a bit, though it seems impossible with that short decoupler. 

Should probably be lower so they clear the engine, yeah, but then I think it would be hovering over the gaps in the skirt which won't look good. 

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Should probably be shorter so they clear the engine, yeah, but then I think it would be hovering over the gaps in the skirt which won't look good. 

I think on high altitude SRB exaust will expand enough to damage engine.

1 hour ago, Shlyopa said:

I think on high altitude SRB exaust will expand enough to damage engine.

Yeah, possibly. There's not much to do about that. Realistically the booster mounts would have to be on the intertank structure as not to damage the tanks, and to require less work when applying the foam, I would think. That means in order to lower the SRB, the full 3-piece SRMU, which means it won't match up with the booster connectors. 

2.5 segment SRMU

ZhgJtdE.jpg

if3Xmej.jpg

3 segment SRMU

OJElD6x.jpg

WUuTDqb.jpg

Custom rockets really are a balance between functionality and aesthetics... and sometimes, one wins over the other.  In my case aesthetics. I'd rather have the booster connector on the metal insterstage than the foam tank. So 3 segment SRMU it is. 

On a side note: Is it just me or is this really pleasing on the eyes to look at? All white Delta IV with white boosters.

TFXCSxq.jpg

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Yeah, possibly. There's not much to do about that. Realistically the booster mounts would have to be on the intertank structure as not to damage the tanks, and to require less work when applying the foam, I would think. That means in order to lower the SRB, the full 3-piece SRMU, which means it won't match up with the booster connectors. 

2.5 segment SRMU

ZhgJtdE.jpg

if3Xmej.jpg

3 segment SRMU

OJElD6x.jpg

WUuTDqb.jpg

Custom rockets really are a balance between functionality and aesthetics... and sometimes, one wins over the other.  In my case aesthetics. I'd rather have the booster connector on the metal insterstage than the foam tank. So 3 segment SRMU it is. 

On a side note: Is it just me or is this really pleasing on the eyes to look at? All white Delta IV with white boosters.

TFXCSxq.jpg

By the way, Are there larger diameter (>3.1) fairings with 3.1~ m base?

19 minutes ago, QAM00 said:

Is there anywhere where I could look to learn how to build an AARDV? The 2 pictures in BDB Manual don't show any parts.

All of the AARDV-specific parts should show up if you type AARDV into the search bar. The propulsion section of it is the Apollo Block 3 service module (though with the Block 4 part switch for AARDV Block 2); I think those parts are also tagged as AARDV but I can't remember off of the top of my head - but if they're not, then they're definitely tagged as Apollo. I know this isn't as good as having each individual part listed out on the diagram, but there aren't that many of them so it shouldn't be too hard to find each one in the part menu with AARDV as a search term.

2 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

All of the AARDV-specific parts should show up if you type AARDV into the search bar. The propulsion section of it is the Apollo Block 3 service module (though with the Block 4 part switch for AARDV Block 2); I think those parts are also tagged as AARDV but I can't remember off of the top of my head - but if they're not, then they're definitely tagged as Apollo. I know this isn't as good as having each individual part listed out on the diagram, but there aren't that many of them so it shouldn't be too hard to find each one in the part menu with AARDV as a search term.

Yep I found them, thanks!

Also for the new ALSEP surface experiments, do they need the control unit from stock breaking ground to function? The big solar panel that I placed down did nothing for the other experiments power(i'm in sandbox mode if that helps).

EELV                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 flags flags flags flags!
screenshot981.png

EEELV

screenshot984.png

I like EEEELV
screenshot994.png

screenshot1000.png

EEEEEEELV!

Spoiler

Payload - centaur T + dummy payload.

4 minutes ago, Shlyopa said:

EELV                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 flags flags flags flags!
screenshot981.png

EEELV

screenshot984.png

I like EEEELV
screenshot994.png

screenshot1000.png

EEEEEEELV!

Reveal hidden contents

Payload - centaur T + dummy payload.

Mega Titan Stick!