[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

NERVA II nuclear engine now on the BDB development branch on github. This is if you've not seen it before, taller even than the M1, dedicated interstages and mounting hardware will come later so users will need to improvise a bit for now.

10 minutes ago, Zorg said:

NERVA II nuclear engine now on the BDB development branch on github. This is if you've not seen it before, taller even than the M1, dedicated interstages and mounting hardware will come later so users will need to improvise a bit for now.

YES

12 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Hey @Zorg,

THANK YOU!!

Exactly what I was searching! ;)

Alright, time to finally actually reply here... Fishing trip went well, but my issues with pain in my hands have gotten worse. Probably not affecting development quite yet, but something to keep in mind since I really need to force myself to spend less time at my PC. I'll try and take it from gaming time and not BDB time, since that's more productive anyways :)

As always, thank you all so much for sharing these cool screenshots! I don't have the time or energy to reply to them normally, but I do love seeing people share what they've built with the mod and inspire others!

Now, sorting through some comments - apologies if I do not respond to yours, feel free to mention it again if there's something from the last week (or earlier, frankly) that I don't address.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:43 AM, GoldForest said:

Would it be possible to get white RCS, white docking light and white EVA light as well? (re: white Block 3/4 SM)

I don't see why not, it's not a priority but I'll have to take care of it since Invader is away without his dev PC for the summer.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:41 PM, chaos113 said:

perhaps an apollo capsule but with larger side windows and an elongated front dome 

Hmm, I don't think that's the vibe for it. But I'll think about it more. I think what might be more appropriate, instead of trying to make it like a true cupola, maybe have more like... a small cylindrical module with windows on several sides. So it would more be like, the astronaut sticks their torso in there and they can turn to see out in several different directions?

On 5/30/2022 at 11:18 AM, x170doom said:

as a note did you wait a few seconds after selecting retract, as while i've never had an issue with the whip antenna, i noticed on retraction it seems to wait a few seconds before retracting, (guessing frames in the animation where there is no movement) other than that are you using any mods that change the behavior of the ModuleAnimateGeneric module in any way as these may be what cause it to not retract

On 5/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, septemberWaves said:

I have waited, yes (though perhaps not long enough). There is also nothing that should change the behaviour of that module, and other animations work fine from what I can tell.
I have, however, realized that the clipping may be a result of me having placed the part too far to the right.

EDIT: Apparently I was simply not waiting quite long enough for the retraction to start.

I believe you all zeroed in on the issue - by default it sets the animation to the entire length of the maya scene timeline. I normally trim the frame range so it's only the active frames. I must've missed this. Generally it's only visible when you try and retract and nothing happens. If you notice any other parts with this issue let me know please. I'll try and take care of this soon.

On 5/31/2022 at 12:42 AM, Kais_The_Duck said:

https://imgur.com/a/1pGG6Cf

Hi is there any way to force the MESA Bay to open with Kerbalism installed? Unlike other science parts (BDB) it doesnt open when the experiments are running.

On 5/31/2022 at 5:28 AM, Aelfhe1m said:

Try this (untested):

Reveal hidden contents
@PART[bluedog_LM_MESA]:NEEDS[FeatureScience]:LAST[FeatureScience]
{
	@MODULE[Experiment]:HAS[#experiment_id[mobileMaterialsLab]]
	{
		%anim_deploy = deploy
	}

@MODULE[Experiment]:HAS[#experiment_id[bd_camera]]
	{
		%anim_deploy = deploy
	}
}

Glad this worked. Can you please pass this on to the Kerbalism devs? Compatibility for that mod is usually taken care of from their side.

On 6/1/2022 at 6:25 AM, JonnySpace said:

Brilliant thank you. I knew I was missing something. I'll do this! 

Glad it's working! Note that many of the engine mounts for rocket stages work the same way. :)

On 6/2/2022 at 1:14 AM, Shlyopa said:

What separation SRBs should i use for safe multibody H03 booster separation?

On 6/2/2022 at 3:57 AM, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos I can confirm, that the boosters fly towards the core. There's like no separation power at all in the decoupler either. The boosters will detach, move away for about a few inches before flying right back to the core. I even tested this with the SAF fairings to see if the problem was the nose cones. It is not. It's either weird aerodynamics on the Saturn IE tanks or the decoupler itself has a problem, I don't know. 

Test vehicle was a Saturn Multi-body with 4 booster instead of 2. 2 boosters had nose cones the other 2 had fairings.  I also shut off the engines during stage sep.

Edit: Upon a second test, the boosters didn't fly away this time. They just flew into the core. There's some force pushing them to the core at stage sep.

I looked into this... I think Saturday or Sunday. I confirmed that despite the force vector being the same, the Titan and Saturn radial decouplers were oriented in opposite directions. I made the force vector -X instead of +X, that should correct the problem. I thought I'd checked that when I made them - since it was a big issue with the Titan decouplers during development - but I guess not. But y'all weren't going crazy, the force indeed was getting applied inwards.

25 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Ah, yes, some of those structural bits shouldn't be hard to do. They're literally just a barrel section added to the interstage - it's like the kind of thing I would do if I was really lazy, but I guess it worked for them lol.

yP5DGTX.png

So at least these will be added - I don't know if these will fit NERVA II, I don't think so - pretty sure they'd only fit the base NERVA? We'll see.

We also will need a longer 6.25m interstage (for builds like the one Zorg showed), but I want to think about that for a bit and see if I can come up with something cooler than just stretching the mesh again.

And then there's some other stuff - I'd like to include parts for RIFT (Reactor In Flight Test) which I think would be cool as sort of like a "proof of concept that becomes first operational nuclear stage" that players could use before moving on to bigger stuff.

deliveryService?id=NASM-A19940098000cp06

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

update jumpcare

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

We also will need a longer 6.25m interstage (for builds like the one Zorg showed), but I want to think about that for a bit and see if I can come up with something cooler than just stretching the mesh again.

And then there's some other stuff - I'd like to include parts for RIFT (Reactor In Flight Test) which I think would be cool as sort of like a "proof of concept that becomes first operational nuclear stage" that players could use before moving on to bigger stuff.

On the note of a longer 6.25m interstage for Nerva II that's more unique than just a stretched S-II interstage, perhaps inspiration could be taken from the interstage component in the RIFT image?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Why use big saturn when small saturn do trick
missiles-and-rockets-Sept-61-nuclear-roc
6uyf5FC.pngQlrYOMp.pngPx5Qnf8.pngGfBrwwC.pngyhIv7GV.pngETewFIR.png

55 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Why use big saturn when small saturn do trick
missiles-and-rockets-Sept-61-nuclear-roc
6uyf5FC.pngQlrYOMp.pngPx5Qnf8.pngGfBrwwC.pngyhIv7GV.pngETewFIR.png

Because you can use Atlas (note that this thing will barely make it into orbit with no payload).
Pages_from_Reactor_In-Flight_Test_System

20220606164522_1.jpg

20220606164942_1.jpg

Edited by Jcking

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

I'm gonna put that on the space shuttle

4 hours ago, Jcking said:

Because you can use Atlas (note that this thing will barely make it into orbit with no payload).

Seems to me that RIFT is a lot smaller than Nerva and is actually more the size of timberwind. So you're putting a lot of extra weight because of oversized engine.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Seems to me that RIFT is a lot smaller than Nerva and is actually more the size of timberwind. So you're putting a lot of extra weight because of oversized engine.

I am using the telescoping nozzle timberwind and not Nerva II, the former is roughly the same size as the restock nerva I (the one with integral roll control nozzles).

14 hours ago, VikingerCJL1996 said:

Silly question but does anyone know if this will soon work with Realism Overhaul?

BDB's RO configs are provided within RO itself and written by volunteers sending pull requests to the RO repo. The majority of parts have configs but there hasnt been a significant effort to config new parts since the release of BDB v1.7

22 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I looked into this... I think Saturday or Sunday. I confirmed that despite the force vector being the same, the Titan and Saturn radial decouplers were oriented in opposite directions. I made the force vector -X instead of +X, that should correct the problem. I thought I'd checked that when I made them - since it was a big issue with the Titan decouplers during development - but I guess not. But y'all weren't going crazy, the force indeed was getting applied inwards.

The fix works by the way, the boosters now fly away without the need for separation motors.

11 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I found an interesting article that I think would make a great addition to BDB for some alt-history scenarios:

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4390/1

I am not sure if @CobaltWolfand the dev team are up for more Apollo modding, but it would be pretty cool. "Barnstorming the Moon" has a great ring to it! :lol:

"Not sure if... up for more Apollo modding."

*Update 1.11 literally being more Saturn and Apollo modding.*

Edited by GoldForest

21 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I found an interesting article that I think would make a great addition to BDB for some alt-history scenarios:

https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4390/1

I am not sure if @CobaltWolfand the dev team are up for more Apollo modding, but it would be pretty cool. "Barnstorming the Moon" has a great ring to it! :lol:

I have the full document for it, but I don't think there's a real need for custom parts. Seems like something that would be good to bash together with the LM Lab stuff.

1974-1975: Solar Observation Two Ways:

November: Skylab 4 launches on its planned three-month endurance mission aboard the orbiting station. This is to be the longest planned mission in Skylab's initial service life, with its duration extended by the arrival of an experimental cargo ferry about halfway through the crew's stay. This will also be the last Skylab mission to make use of the legacy Block II CSM, with the Skylab 5 mission planned for Autumn of 1975 slated to break in the Block III interim Apollo spacecraft. This mission also features a night launch, the first (and likely only) for the Saturn IB.

s8HTkuV.png

9mqk0EE.png

vskc977.png

January 1975: AARDV launches aboard its own Saturn IB from LC-39B. For its first mission, AARDV is partly filled with a ballast of water to test its ability to maneuver while heavily loaded. Additionally, food, oxygen, and other supplies are carried aboard the vessel inside its large pressurized hold. It will remain berthed to Skylab until shortly before the end of Skylab 4's stay, providing additional storage space and testing the full range of its new systems.

qFwz8vt.png

HH0azI0.png

jDtWzHb.png

AiPuTmP.png

hlpbAt9.png

For the first time, an American vessel makes use of an automatic rendezvous program, however the final docking process is controlled by the crew from the safety of their command module using a television monitor linked to a camera aboard AARDV and a hand controller carried up with them. Skylab 6 will deliver some kind of docking control module to further streamline the process and provide extra safety to crews who visit the station throughout the planned "Phase 2" operations through 1979.

TWWh7tg.png

wgFryDA.png

February, 1975: Tried my hand at replicating one of the later OSO spacecraft, specifically OSO-8 launched aboard a Delta 1910. As far as I can tell the Delta which launched this spacecraft also had a unique paint scheme:

cV7gKuj.png

FmFWhiG.png

jshqIMC.png

eST1sE5.png

1ffb3oe.png

Had to stick with the original OSO sail though; there wasn't anything suitable to replicate the larger sails these later satellites had.

February, 1975: As Skylab 4 nears the end of its stay AARDV 1 is loaded with garbage and jettisoned from the station. Skylab 4 itself will return home in around ten days.

yJgMgsD.png

GgiWLz8.png

On 6/6/2022 at 7:33 PM, Zorg said:

YES!

Also, when we can get system heat patch for NERVA II, like the Timberwind engines? And i wonder, would there be a patch for making BDB nuclear engines compatible with Kerbal Atomics, especially the radiation emmit thing that KA has?