[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@Zorg How about keeping the old style, but recessing the attachment point like on the LEM or Apollo Mission Modules? 

not viable as I don't want to modify the standardized endcap. thats a lot more work.

2 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

I think the fix is a huge improvement. Even though the previous clipping didn't affect the collider, it's still better for parts to not be visually clipping.

Im leaning towards keeping the commit as is yeah. 

Will get these in game later today

unshrouded variant of the standard fixed rollout array:

New tracking part. This will be unshrouded only since its too big for the shroud... so basically Fixed (shrouded + bare), Tracking (bare).

Q3Im0yS.png

A concept I came up with. The Man-Tended Free Flyer Apollo Style Station. The Aardvark Mk II's delivery disposable experiments while the Aardvark-Rs (Boilerplate Apollos) are used for returnable experiments. Crew launches to the station once to thrice a month depending on the experiments needs and to do routine checkups and maintenance. 

Btw, @Zorg or @CobaltWolf when will the solar panels get retractability added? I remember it was mentioned/talked about and iirc the idea was to be added. Specifically for the ATM solar arrays so we can easily get rid of/move them out of the way for the 25KW power module. 

42 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Btw, @Zorg or @CobaltWolf when will the solar panels get retractability added? I remember it was mentioned/talked about and iirc the idea was to be added. Specifically for the ATM solar arrays so we can easily get rid of/move them out of the way for the 25KW power module. 

I'll add it today with the tracking solar arrays. But keep in mind historically they would be removed on EVA. I dont believe they are retractable (but then most panels arent I guess? ) 

Edited by Zorg

28 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I'll add it today with the tracking solar arrays. But keep in mind historically they would be removed on EVA. I dont believe they are retractable (but then most panels arent I guess? ) 

Thanks. I know historically they weren't retractable, but this is KSP, we can bend the rules a little. :P

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Big G is sometimes shown with a LES, but I don't think regular Gemini was going to get one. I could be wrong. 

I like how your pads are just floating on the water. Like NASA couldn't be bothered to terraform the marsh, so they just made man-made Islands and just transport all their rockets by barge. 

Some early concepts for the VAB featured waterways with barge transport instead of the crawler.

Advanced concepts for Gemini and Geminis launched on Titan III and Saturn IB used the LES. Crewed big Gs always launched with an LES.

Edited by Jcking

9 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Some early concepts for the VAB featured waterways with barge transport instead of the crawler.

Advanced concepts for Gemini and Geminis launched on Titan III and Saturn IB used the LES. Crewed big Gs always launched with an LES.

I forgot about that. 

And huh, I thought they stuck with the ejection seats for regular Gemini.

7 hours ago, donnager fan said:

Thanks! Btw no les? Also what is that adapter part? on the lander?

LES: I generally dislike using LES because it's prone to wiggling during KSP flight. Even for Apollo I do one flight with the tower, then justify that Apollo is proven tech and doesn't need LES.

I have 2 "adapters":

• The tapered tank part of the lander is an Inon TG-700 tank
  • The entire lander sits inside a SivB BLAM fairing for aerodynamics. (I wonder if the aero gains, if any due, exceed the extra fuel needed to lift the 0.8t fairing. The rocket flies well so I haven't min-maxed it.)

To summarize the lander assembly, the main parts from top down are:

1. Leo Vinci capsule
  2. Leo Giotto
  3. Leo Zhengming
  4. Heatshield + Leo EOMAS Gus thrusters hidden beneath Decoupler
  5. Inon TG-700 Adapter tank
  6. Inon TG-1200 tank
  7. Engine

3 hours ago, 1124max said:

Would it still be possible to keep the old version as an extra for those who don't mind the clipping?

1 hour ago, DeadJohn said:

Can you do it in a way that doesn't break saves? Perhaps make the fix a new part and soft-deprecate the old part.

We've discussed this internally and I think its best dealt with in one go, rip the bandaid off so to speak. The longer the old version is around the more it will affect crafts and at some point the old one needs to go even when soft deprecated and a second model file. Despite the generous colliders not making the old one that problematic its still not what I intended and I would prefer to fix it up.

Edited by Zorg

4 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

LES: I generally dislike using LES because it's prone to wiggling during KSP flight. Even for Apollo I do one flight with the tower, then justify that Apollo is proven tech and doesn't need LES.

I have 2 "adapters":

• The tapered tank part of the lander is an Inon TG-700 tank
  • The entire lander sits inside a SivB BLAM fairing for aerodynamics. (I wonder if the aero gains, if any due, exceed the extra fuel needed to lift the 0.8t fairing. The rocket flies well so I haven't min-maxed it.)

To summarize the lander assembly, the main parts from top down are:

1. Leo Vinci capsule
  2. Leo Giotto
  3. Leo Zhengming
  4. Heatshield + Leo EOMAS Gus thrusters hidden beneath Decoupler
  5. Inon TG-700 Adapter tank
  6. Inon TG-1200 tank
  7. Engine

Thanks, Also do you use autostrut? that usually fixes joint spaghetti and stuff like that

As much as it pains me but due to environmental concerns and the fact it's 50 years old I decided to decommissioned the Bradbury. Since it was never meant to return to the surface and it has nukes in it we decided to give it a Viking Funeral by hurling it to the Sun.

20220619124158_1_by_pudgemountain_df7ouj5-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdvdWo1LTBmZmE3MGEyLWM5YzUtNDdhMC1hOWIzLTUxNGYwZmIzNTdmYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.Ay7a3D2BFr6wafUFCd88tog2Up-bEe4-JS46704Qx4U

20220619124229_1_by_pudgemountain_df7ouj4-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdvdWo0LTZjMjU5MTYxLTcyNDgtNDJkZC05NzY2LTRjODFkYTU4OWFjYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.9WJT1kzdmJBU5hpeDrJdc2eFQO1gf-INEuHiMgP2Ir8

RIP Bradbury 2022-2072 You boldy sent us where no Kerbal has gone before.

But now we built and designed a replacement for Bradbury named Mila in honor of Mila Kerman.

Spoiler

20220619131141_1_by_pudgemountain_df7ouiy-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdvdWl5LTM4NzdkNTA4LTJkOWUtNDFiMS04MDllLWFkYWJmZTEzYzg0Mi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.-6BF3wrzSsrRAV8GL_Ogk8CW3hDIpHv8nm1l3HRXcKs

20220619131202_1_by_pudgemountain_df7ouir-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdvdWlyLTVlOGRmZmY2LTk1N2QtNDk4Zi05M2U3LWZiYjhiMzExNTcyMi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.VWUDqocUN2F6FscPHiQ9hnemoN2QZZQ7JI0xj9uOFek

20220619132207_1_by_pudgemountain_df7ouij-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdvdWlqLTI3ZDRiZjE2LTQxM2UtNGYwZS1iZmY5LTZkOGFmYzBkZDhkMS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.aSEuDoZhKpIETg8hrXutYjYzkPCKLgRiuXW53Dd4JkE

A new combo airlock/docking adapter for wet workshops (and also EOSS). Will fit inside the SLA with room for a Block 2 Apollo above if you wish to launch with it. Also sufficient clearance for radial docking of Apollo or LM ATM/labs . Coming Soon (tm).

1 hour ago, donnager fan said:

Thanks, Also do you use autostrut? that usually fixes joint spaghetti and stuff like that

Autostrut is unavailable in Skyhawk Science System. Multiple users have the problem. I'm testing KJR now to see if the latest release works with EVA construction.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

A new combo airlock/docking adapter for wet workshops (and also EOSS). Will fit inside the SLA with room for a Block 2 Apollo above if you wish to launch with it. Also sufficient clearance for radial docking of Apollo or LM ATM/labs . Coming Soon (tm).

Thank you @Zorgfor doing this. The current airlock design (a fine piece of work by itself) didn’t quite match the majority of the Wet lab conceptual drawings. This one is much closer! (And probably lighter too!)

Edited by DaveyJ576
Small addition

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Q3Im0yS.png

A concept I came up with. The Man-Tended Free Flyer Apollo Style Station. The Aardvark Mk II's delivery disposable experiments while the Aardvark-Rs (Boilerplate Apollos) are used for returnable experiments. Crew launches to the station once to thrice a month depending on the experiments needs and to do routine checkups and maintenance. 

To be honest, until I read this post I never considered the concept of a recoverable Aardvark. It is strange that the ETS creators didn’t include one. I like it and will have to incorporate one into my Integrated Flight Plan I am developing for an upcoming planned historical playthrough. Its a great use for all those Apollo boilerplates I have laying around at Langley, White Sands, and the Cape! :lol:

Edited by DaveyJ576

29 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

To be honest, until I read this post I never considered the concept of a recoverable Aardvark. It is strange that the ETS creators didn’t include one. I like it and will have to incorporate one into my Integrated Flight Plan I am developing for an upcoming planned historical playthrough. Its a great use for all those Apollo boilerplates I have laying around at Langley, White Sands, and the Cape! :lol:

I would love that, like an Apollo version of the Gemini unmanned resupply pod.

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

To be honest, until I read this post I never considered the concept of a recoverable Aardvark. It is strange that the ETS creators didn’t include one.

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

I would love that, like an Apollo version of the Gemini unmanned resupply pod.

Now that's something I want but I don't think exists without some real kitbashing shenanigans, heh. I play with MOAR Station Science which has these small 0.625m experiments that need to be recovered when they're done. If someone could make a hollow, capsule-shaped service bay-like part that would be great for things like this.

4 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Make sure to remember to include a heat shield. I had to clip it into the bottom of course, but it's no big deal visually.