[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

What did I do?

@CobaltWolf, @VenomousRequiem: HOLY S**T!!!!

S****N I!!!! :D:D :D

I have died AND gone to heaven :sticktongue:

Just pinging you to let you know your dreams have come true. :wink:

See, it can be nice when we keep things secret from you guys for several weeks. Then you get to experience so much joy all at once when we unveil it!  

Edited by VenomousRequiem

6 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Just pinging you to let you know your dreams have come true. :wink:

See, it can be nice when we keep things secret from you guys for several weeks. Then you get to experience so much joy all at once when we unveil it!  

I think I told everyone EXCEPT @davidy12... I like having feedback on things as I work on them. 

Basically, me and @VenomousRequiem were talking a few weeks ago about Saturn 1, and jokingly decided that we should just do it and show people that I was actually serious about doing Apollo/Saturn at some point. Next thing we know I've modeled the entirety of Saturn 1 and Venom has modeled the S-IVB. I also would like to take care of the Apollo CSM sooner rather than later so that might be in one of the future streams. I'm sort of in a 'work on whatever feels good that night' phase of development.

Also, this was kinda cool:

@CobaltWolf on the topic of Saturn, I found this video and I think it might be very interesting for when you start modeling the F-1 engine (far off, but I'll forget to tell you if I don't tell you now). Its a walk around the engine in HD, so you can see some of the interesting tubing and piping around the engine. Some of which can be hard to see from in a picture.

Edit*: When Texturing it, please please please put the "No step" written on the big pipes leading into the engine, as seen in the first seconds of the video.

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie

Saturn I - Gemini on the pad:
Screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot3.jpg

We have lift-off:
Screenshot4.jpg

Screenshot7.jpg

S-IV ignition:
Screenshot10.jpg

Fairing sep above the sensible atmosphere:
Screenshot11.jpg

Pushing to orbit:
Screenshot13.jpg

S-IV de-orbit burn:
Screenshot16.jpg

De-orbit burn is successful (taking advantage of the RL-10s restart capabilities):
Screenshot17.jpg

Transtage burn for the Mun:
Screenshot18.jpg

Getting close now:
Screenshot20.jpg

Sliding into darkness:
Screenshot21.jpg

And out again:
Screenshot24.jpg

Kerbinrise:
Screenshot26.jpg

Orbital adjustment burn:
Screenshot28.jpg

Downhill run:
Screenshot30.jpg

Entry Interface:
Screenshot34.jpg

The 'chute is good!
Screenshot37.jpg

Edited by TimothyC

21 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@CobaltWolf where did he get the Saturn I? Did you release it already? :D

It's not really... ready. Yet. I was getting really impatient with having to work on it in the dark. :P I sent a link to it for a couple people that I had on skype last night. If you're super desperate to see it, here you go. The textures are only about 90% done and the H1s aren't in game yet.

EDIT: @davidy12 try now, I copied the URL of the page instead of the URL of the download.

Edited by CobaltWolf

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's not really... ready. Yet. I was getting really impatient with having to work on it in the dark. :P I sent a link to it for a couple people that I had on skype last night. If you're super desperate to see it, here you go. The textures are only about 90% done and the H1s aren't in game yet.

I'm desperate.

Though its not linked properly.

Got it :D

Edited by davidy12

Thoughts: S-IV has a lot of deltaV with light payloads. I could have likely done that mission without a transtage (the forward tank on the S-IV was completely full when I had SECO2, and I had enough left outside of that tank to do a de-orbit burn from the 250km*250km orbit (not the aggressive one shown, but one that would have placed the stage in a decaying orbit). I used the Atlas Booster engines on that demo, and will soon be trying it with the S3Ds from a Juno. As well, given the low TWR on the S-IV, I found myself flying a highly lofted first stage trajectory to buy plenty of time for the second stage burn. S-IB + S-IV + S-V tests will be done soon.

Also, @CobaltWolf the control fins on the S-IB stage can not be re-selected in the editor to remove them from a rocket, or from the ghosted/unattached status.

I did some messing around with Saturn SI and I found that with my non mechjeb assisted ascent, I can get 19 tons to orbit (150 ap 150 pa) with about half of the bottom tank left. Note: The probe core consumes too much power, you will run out of power before you finish the final orbital insertion. 

11 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

Also, @CobaltWolf the control fins on the S-IB stage can not be re-selected in the editor to remove them from a rocket, or from the ghosted/unattached status.

If you aim at the tippy top of the fin, you can grab it if it's attatched.

19 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

Thoughts: S-IV has a lot of deltaV with light payloads. I could have likely done that mission without a transtage (the forward tank on the S-IV was completely full when I had SECO2, and I had enough left outside of that tank to do a de-orbit burn from the 250km*250km orbit (not the aggressive one shown, but one that would have placed the stage in a decaying orbit). I used the Atlas Booster engines on that demo, and will soon be trying it with the S3Ds from a Juno. As well, given the low TWR on the S-IV, I found myself flying a highly lofted first stage trajectory to buy plenty of time for the second stage burn. S-IB + S-IV + S-V tests will be done soon.

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I did some messing around with Saturn SI and I found that with my non mechjeb assisted ascent, I can get 19 tons to orbit (150 ap 150 pa) with about half of the bottom tank left. Note: The probe core consumes too much power, you will run out of power before you finish the final orbital insertion. 

If you aim at the tippy top of the fin, you can grab it if it's attatched.

Really? I felt like I was struggling - specifically with the first stage not having enough deltaV to get the AP high enough to circularize. I think you're right that a high trajectory is needed for the first stage.

@TimothyC the S3Ds aren't going to cut it. They got nerfed and only have something like 194 thrust, the H1s will likely be significantly better and somewhere around the Atlas Boosters in terms of balance. It won't lift off the pad even with no payload.

@Sgt.Shutesie can you explain that further? I am not sure what you mean by the bottom tank. Bottom tank on the S-I or the S-IV?

I was having A LOT of trouble with that stupid fin - i spent about an hour before the stream troubleshooting it. I thought it was fixed. I'll look into it.

I have also heard from several people that got it last night that the IU doesn't last long enough. It was copied from the stock 2.5m probe core config, I'll look into it. Probably going to lower its consumption, maybe weaken the reaction wheels as well so they don't consume as much?

I would love to see a sort of 'lite' version of the RP-0 requirement for avionics capable of supporting vessels of certain sizes. Would make things like the Agena probe core and the Saturn IUs for more useful.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Sgt.Shutesie can you explain that further? I am not sure what you mean by the bottom tank. Bottom tank on the S-I or the S-IV?

S-IV, which btw, did it have a sort of RCS system? I find that moving S-IV can be rather hard and power consuming. On the topic of lifting power, Sarnus S1 is more than happy to put a largish probe just inside of the Mün's orbit.

39 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

S-IV, which btw, did it have a sort of RCS system? I find that moving S-IV can be rather hard and power consuming. On the topic of lifting power, Sarnus S1 is more than happy to put a largish probe just inside of the Mün's orbit.

I dunno. Nothing every talks about RCS systems unfortunately. I won't pretend that I've done particularly, uh, detailed research on Saturn so far.

Also, I've made some updates to the OP. Everyone should looks because I'm a vain artist.

13 minutes ago, 123nick said:

why is s****n censored?

Because it's a (generally) taboo subject for Cobalt, you can see why by this face:

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

KSP makes me beg for the sweet release of death

4 hours ago, TimothyC said:

Thoughts: S-IV has a lot of deltaV with light payloads. 

Sounds about right. That's a cryogenic stage. Fill it with LF/Ox and you get heavy with extra dv.