[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 minutes ago, Beccab said:

That's incredible! Are they in the github yet? I NEED that robotic truss

No not yet, once the basic set of parts for a complete build is ready. Theres not a lot to go. I only started working on the unity and cfg setup stuff since Im away for a few days from tomorrow and didnt feel like starting on the new parts if im gonna be interrupted. The MDA and discone antennas are modelled but not textured. Not yet started on the experiments and fairing. And of course the IMU from the S4B will be needed to complete the build. Cobalt has modelled that but its not textured yet I think. Plus skylab will prob need a texture variant for that.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

And of course the IMU from the S4B will be needed to complete the build. Cobalt has modelled that but its not textured yet I think. Plus skylab will prob need a texture variant for that.

IMU?

24 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

IMU?

Instrument Unit?

I guess?

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

That's incredible! Are they in the GitHub yet? I NEED that robotic truss

so i heard that the robotic truss is both going to use Infernal Robotics and Breaking Ground

so my curious question is, which Infernal Robotics Version do think get/use for downloading for using the truss?

Zorg?

Edited by Adam-Kerman

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

managed to get a lot of key Skylab parts functional. The MDA, fairing, some science experiments and antennas still need to be completed but thats probably starting next week.

screenshot22.png?width=1500&height=844

screenshot23.png?width=1500&height=844

screenshot24.png?width=654&height=843

screenshot25.png?width=1500&height=844

Noticed those plumes don't have waterfall, is that coming later on?

7 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

IMU?

Meant to say IU (instrument unit). This should be the root part of a skylab craft actually. (IMU, ie Inertial Measurement Unit would be one of the instruments inside the IU)

6 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Noticed those plumes don't have waterfall, is that coming later on?

of course. 

7 hours ago, Adam-Kerman said:

so i heard that the robotic truss is both going to use Infernal Robotics and Breaking Ground

so my curious question is, which Infernal Robotics Version do think get/use for downloading for using the truss?

Zorg?

I havent looked into this at all yet. but as far as I know IR next is the most current version?

Edited by Zorg

Proposed Saturn V INT-21 launched space station that would have used the spent S-II stage as a counterweight so that artificial gravity could be generated by rotating it and the crew module, with in the middle the experiment module, solar panels and a docking port. Made for a 9 people crew

Spoiler

unknown.png

Liftoff:

Screenshot_5851.png
Screenshot_5860.pngScreenshot_5873.pngScreenshot_5883.png
Screenshot_5894.pngScreenshot_5899.pngScreenshot_5974.pngScreenshot_5972.png
Screenshot_5984.png

Rotation of the segments to their final position (see scheme at the top)
Screenshot_5991.png
Screenshot_5995.png
Crew tube expansion:
Screenshot_6002.png
Extentension of the solar panels, antennae and all the various experiments:
Screenshot_6007.png
Artificial gravity!

Screenshot_6010.png
Screenshot_6011.png
Screenshot_6016.png

Crew arrival in a later Saturn 1B:
Screenshot_6018.pngScreenshot_6026.png

Edited by Beccab

31 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Proposed Saturn V INT-21 launched space station that would have used the spent S-II stage as a counterweight so that artificial gravity could be generated by rotating it and the crew module, with in the middle the experiment module, solar panels and a docking port. Made for a 9 people crew

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Liftoff:

Screenshot_5991.png
Screenshot_5995.png
Crew tube expansion:
Screenshot_6002.png
Screenshot_6007.png
Artificial gravity!

Man, they really don’t make stuff the way they used to :D

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

TIL the new Apollo's docking port works. Apparently?

It doesn't :P I didn't want to redo the Apollo CM launch with the old port so I just told mechjeb to put them very close and took a screenshot from the other side. The retract/extend probe also appears reversed, but that's completely expected given the WIP

3 minutes ago, Beccab said:

It doesn't :P I didn't want to redo the Apollo CM launch with the old port so I just told mechjeb to put them very close and took a screenshot from the other side. The retract/extend probe also appears reversed, but that's completely expected given the WIP

ah, oh well. Yeah I didn't really try to get it working (it might not even have the relevant transforms), once I have the new passive port in game I'll make sure things work.

Just now, alberro+ said:

Wait wait, are the new Apollo parts out on the dev branch? Did I miss something?

There's a separate branch for Saturn/Apollo (we wanted to leave the master branch open for interim releases, like InvaderChaos' probes), but they haven't been tested let alone balanced/bugfixed.

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

There's a separate branch for Saturn/Apollo (we wanted to leave the master branch open for interim releases, like InvaderChaos' probes), but they haven't been tested let alone balanced/bugfixed.

I see, maybe it's just better to wait for a final release with everything in it?

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

I see, maybe it's just better to wait for a final release with everything in it?

I'm sure there will be a period when the parts are in development, but playable (as in our previous dev cycles). We're just not there yet.

My plan right now is to basically work backwards getting stuff in game:

- Next up is the LM. I figure that will allow testing to start, since you can just cheat a CSM+LM to lunar orbit and go from there.
- Then the S-IVB, both to get the instrument unit done for Skylab, and to test the TLI burn.
- After that, the S-1C and S-II. The full lunar stack can then be tested and balanced.
- Saturn 1 and 1B, to round out the historical parts.
- Whatever else.

Unfortunately my weekends are mostly spoken for until mid September. I think next weekend might be the only chance I have in the foreseeable future to get the LM in game, so that's my big goal.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm sure there will be a period when the parts are in development, but playable (as in our previous dev cycles). We're just not there yet.

- Next up is the LM. I figure that will allow testing to start, since you can just cheat a CSM+LM to lunar orbit and go from there.
- Then the S-IVB, both to get the instrument unit done for Skylab, and to test the TLI burn.
- After that, the S-1C and S-II. The full lunar stack can then be tested and balanced.
- Whatever else.

Unfortunately my weekends are mostly spoken for until mid September. I think next weekend might be the only chance I have in the foreseeable future to get the LM in game, so that's my big goal.

Gotcha. Thanks for developing this (and to everyone else who’s worked on this). I can’t wait to see these parts finished.

@CobaltWolf, I hope you know how much players like me appreciate the hard work that you and the dev team have put into this mod. It is staggering to consider the level of detail to which you go. BDB makes running KSP enjoyable. Without it I probably would have dropped the game long ago. We all eagerly await your work, but please don’t drive yourself nuts doing it. We will survive just fine!

Thanks again my friend. It is really appreciated!

19 hours ago, alberro+ said:

we've set things up so that instead of the master branch being a copy of the release it is also where some development occurs. 

New setup is basically master will contain things that are in a roughly playable state and will be in the next release. 

Separate feature branches willcontain things that's are going to be in a later release, or highly experimental or early alpha meant more for the dev team to get their hands on stuff. Eg the Apollo stuff or the MOL IVAs branch. 

This setup allows for more frequent BDB releases. I know it doesn't matter for a lot of the regulars on the forum who pull from GitHub but the majority of BDB users play the release and we want to avoid 8-9 months between releases. So since the big 1.7 update we've managed the put out 2 significant content updates and hopefully 1 more with invaders probes before Saturn/Apollo/Skylab

And if we stick to this workflow we might even be able to release the core historical parts while still working on the extended stuff. Or all altogether but we have options either way. 

Edited by Zorg

On 8/5/2021 at 7:47 PM, CobaltWolf said:

- Whatever else.

Damn! I almost wish I delayed my Space Station Freedom Project until after these new parts come out - Lookin brilliant :D

Also, just after sending this, I realised that this message didn’t have the picture in it, the Artificial Gravity station did. Just imagine I replied to both messages lmao

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

On 8/5/2021 at 7:40 AM, Beccab said:

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Liftoff:

Screenshot_5991.png
Screenshot_5995.png
Crew tube expansion:
Screenshot_6002.png
Screenshot_6007.png
Artificial gravity!

Love all the greebles!

Skylab science. (in addition to the ATM of course). All of these are separate parts.

unknown.png?width=1380&height=843

unknown.png?width=1249&height=844

unknown.png?width=1381&height=844

RCS

unknown.png

All the core parts except the fairing are now modelled.

edit: forgot an antenna on the ATM :P

unknown.png?width=1216&height=844

Edited by Zorg

Loving how it’s all coming along, but I have a small suggestion. On the two engine centaur mount, it’d be great if there was a single engine variant. Sure, it’s not realistic, but it’d be a pretty nice addition, given how often I use that mount.

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

Loving how it’s all coming along, but I have a small suggestion. On the two engine centaur mount, it’d be great if there was a single engine variant. Sure, it’s not realistic, but it’d be a pretty nice addition, given how often I use that mount.

You can use the Engine plate of the Atlas III / V  Centaur III for that :)