[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Couple of bug reports relating to tracking antennas:

The revamped Apollo CSM tracking antenna only tracks on one axis when I believe it should track on two/three axis.

Also I don't know if this problem persists but if I recall correctly the Mariner 10 tracking antenna didn't track when the straight variant was selected.

19 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

Couple of bug reports relating to tracking antennas:

The revamped Apollo CSM tracking antenna only tracks on one axis when I believe it should track on two/three axis.

Also I don't know if this problem persists but if I recall correctly the Mariner 10 tracking antenna didn't track when the straight variant was selected.

Only single axis tracking is possible in KSP.

I'll take another look at the mariner antenna if someone can confirm the straight version has issues.

A new computer and a new career save, this time in KSRSS. My first flight in this new game is a quick and dirty kitbash of the Viking sounding rocket, obviously made from the Vanguard first stage:

leFybyA.png

R1gPOru.png

Too bad Kerbal Konstructs is supposedly broken in 1.12, and KSC Switcher doesn't have a config for White Sands, NM.

Also, I got tired of the ugly holdover IVA Mercury still has and replaced it with the one from FASA. Only problem I've seen so far is that the interior space is pushed too far forward in the spacecraft:

kFv1osn.png

4xe0kD4.png

At least it doesn't feel like I'm staring out of a storm drain now.

8 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Too bad Kerbal Konstructs is supposedly broken in 1.12, and KSC Switcher doesn't have a config for White Sands, NM.

I set up a new install recently (mostly intended for BDB screenshots) using the KSRSS beta and Cape Kaneveral with KK and it seemed fine during the couple of tests I did. (perhaps there are more issues lurking for me i dunno)

Edited by Zorg

Just now, Zorg said:

I set up a new install recently (mostly intended for BDB screenshots) using the KSRSS beta and Cape Kaneveral with KK and it seemed fine during the couple of tests I did.

From what I understand, you can still *use* statics with KK in 1.12, but you can’t place or edit them because of the changes the update made to the additional launch sites. For that, you have to go back to 1.11, I guess.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

I set up a new install recently (mostly intended for BDB screenshots) using the KSRSS beta and Cape Kaneveral with KK and it seemed fine during the couple of tests I did. (perhaps there are more issues lurking for me i dunno)

Mine was working until a couple of days ago.  Not sure what got updated (KK, Kopernicus or KSRSS) but Kape Kernaveral is underwater again.  Made for some interesting pics of a sea launched Saturn though.

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Is it just me or is the Star 48 incorrectly sized? It doesn't seem to fit on adapters and decouplers properly. It looks somewhere in between 0.625 and 0.9375 sizes.

https://prnt.sc/1q55ufz

24 minutes ago, TheKSPBeginner said:

Same on my end

Version is 1.8.1a from CKAN

The Star 37 and Star 48 were rescaled in BDB 1.8 to exact IRL dimensions x 0.625. This takes them away from existing stack diameters but was important to do to resolve scaling issues with probes such as Clementine which are built around these motors.

since they're not cylindrical stack parts we didnt feel the size difference to stack sizes was a big problem.

43 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

There is a LOT of that in the dev branch sadly.

Dev branches and even the github master should always be considered at your own risk.

Edited by Zorg

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Cool video posted on Reddit by /u/Znatrix

Neat Video,  Wonder how long it will last before Tears for Fears (or their label) pull it down.   

Still Songs from the Big Chair was a pivotal album for Tears for Fears.

At-least it wasn't set to Europe's "The Final Countdown" from 2 years latter!

32 minutes ago, Pioneer_Steve said:

unknown.png

@CobaltWolf   So happy you kept the Columbium/Niobium blueish black on the TR201!  

For those not in the Know, Columbium (known in Europe as Niobium... and mysteriously on the Periodic table as the same....  Must be Like Lead)  Anyway Columbium, when exposed to oxygen corrodes into a bluish black color.   Freshly formed it is almost a mix of polished Chrome and Steel in color.

Columbium was used on latter variants of the LR81 (the Agena Engine),   and Various AJ 10 marks including the Shuttle OMS (AJ10-190?)  2nd and 3rd versions of the Titan Transtage, AJ10-118F/G/J and K (Delta and JAXA N1 engines)  and on the inside of the the AJ10-128 SPS engine for the Apollo SM.   That in addition to the LMDE/TR201.   The TR201 is a surpluse LMDE that had the advanced control circuit replaced with a much simpler system.  Reducing costs and making it easier to program the analog/Digital Autopilot on Delta P.   I might be missing a few engine/stage combinations but those are the big US ones I can remember off the top of my head where COlumbium was used in the bell... that you would already know about.    I believe the Titan Launch Dispenser's AJ23 engine also had Columbium in the bell.... but all the photos of it are pretty bad and the one YouTube video on it covers a partially scrapped specimen.  (TLD was only launched like 6 times for Top Secret Programs.)

Pioneer_Steve,   Please keep posting your pictures, they are VERY VERY good!

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

@CobaltWolf   So happy you kept the Columbium/Niobium blueish black on the TR201!  

For those not in the Know, Columbium (known in Europe as Niobium... and mysteriously on the Periodic table as the same....  Must be Like Lead)  Anyway Columbium, when exposed to oxygen corrodes into a bluish black color.   Freshly formed it is almost a mix of polished Chrome and Steel in color.

Columbium was used on latter variants of the LR81 (the Agena Engine),   and Various AJ 10 marks including the Shuttle OMS (AJ10-190?)  2nd and 3rd versions of the Titan Transtage, AJ10-118F/G/J and K (Delta and JAXA N1 engines)  and on the inside of the the AJ10-128 SPS engine for the Apollo SM.   That in addition to the LMDE/TR201.   The TR201 is a surpluse LMDE that had the advanced control circuit replaced with a much simpler system.  Reducing costs and making it easier to program the analog/Digital Autopilot on Delta P.   I might be missing a few engine/stage combinations but those are the big US ones I can remember off the top of my head where COlumbium was used in the bell... that you would already know about.    I believe the Titan Launch Dispenser's AJ23 engine also had Columbium in the bell.... but all the photos of it are pretty bad and the one YouTube video on it covers a partially scrapped specimen.  (TLD was only launched like 6 times for Top Secret Programs.)

Pioneer_Steve,   Please keep posting your pictures, they are VERY VERY good!

Thank you very much, I had no idea about why the colouring is the way it is.

@Zorg I think I may have found my issue with getting the science out of the KH-10. Neither the Gemini nor the MOL lab allow in vessel science transfer. For reference I pulled up the Keyhole recovery pod which does work and saw this

{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer

reviewActionName = #autoLOC_502201 //#autoLOC_502201 = Review Stored Data
		storeActionName = #autoLOC_502202 //#autoLOC_502202 = Store Experiments
		evaOnlyStorage = True // i.e. can nearby regular vessels also do this, or EVA only
		storageRange = 1.3
		canBeTransferredToInVessel = True
		canTransferInVessel = True
		showStatus = True
	}

While Gemini has

{
		reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
		storeActionName = Store Experiments
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 2.0
	}

and MOL has

{
		reviewActionName = Review Data
		collectActionName = Take Data
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 2
		allowRepeatedSubjects = True
	}

Do these 3 lines need to be added?

showStatus = True

32 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

@Zorg I think I may have found my issue with getting the science out of the KH-10. Neither the Gemini nor the MOL lab allow in vessel science transfer. For reference I pulled up the Keyhole recovery pod which does work and saw this

{

reviewActionName = #autoLOC_502201 //#autoLOC_502201 = Review Stored Data
		storeActionName = #autoLOC_502202 //#autoLOC_502202 = Store Experiments
		evaOnlyStorage = True // i.e. can nearby regular vessels also do this, or EVA only
		storageRange = 1.3
		showStatus = True
	}

While Gemini has

{
		reviewActionName = Review Stored Data
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 2.0
	}

and MOL has

{
		reviewActionName = Review Data
		collectActionName = Take Data
		evaOnlyStorage = True
		storageRange = 2
		allowRepeatedSubjects = True
	}

Do these 3 lines need to be added?

showStatus = True

Success. Looks like I need to figure out how to do a pull request...

The recent changes to the RemoteTech patches seem to have fixed all my connection woes with spacecraft like the Agena and Apollo, but I think there's something else that needs to be addressed with the early probes. For a basic example, Explorer 1- With a tech tree tweak to unlock the integrated 3km Omni antenna and running RT in root mode, I can get Explorer 1 to have connection in LKO when directly over ground stations. However, the battery doesn't even even have enough juice to transmit home the science from the integrated Geiger Counter experiment. I think that along with antenna changes in the RT patches, the early probes need battery life patches as well.

51 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

Success. Looks like I need to figure out how to do a pull request...

Good job!  Here are some helpful links.  When I set up my first Repo (repository) there was a link to a bunch of Youtube Videos as well on Github... can't find it now to save my bacon so atleast I can provide these!

https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/#pr

https://docs.github.com/en/github/collaborating-with-pull-requests

9 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Good job!  Here are some helpful links.  When I set up my first Repo (repository) there was a link to a bunch of Youtube Videos as well on Github... can't find it now to save my bacon so atleast I can provide these!

https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/#pr

https://docs.github.com/en/github/collaborating-with-pull-requests

I decided to just go ahead and log an issue and attach my fix. Because I'm sure it needs massaging anyway.

3 hours ago, Pioneer_Steve said:

I had no idea about why the colouring is the way it is.

That is why I post this stuff.   So thank you right back :D

I am blessed/cursed with a pretty good memory for things like that.   Don't ask me if I remembered the SPS's AJ10 variant correctly tho! :D

I have spent a lot of time over the past 3 years studying the AJ10 engine.   Not because I think it is a great engine (it isn't)  But because Hypergolic and Fuel in general intrigue me.   The AJ10 has had more fuel types run through it (by combinations) than any other Production engine in the world.   Name a Fuel... and there is a good chance that if the AJ10 didn't get built with it... someone somewhere atleast looked into it.   About the only one I am unsure of is Methane (CH4).    Here is an incomplete list of the different fuels.  Listed by Oxidiser and every fuel I can remember being used in an AJ10 with that Oxidizer.

WFNA and JP4,6,8/Kerosene, UDMH and Hydrazine

IRFNA and JP8, Hydrazine, UDMH

IRFNA3 and UDMH, MMH

IRFNA4 (also known as HDA) and UDMH, MMH

NTO (Di-Nitrogen Tetra Oxide) and Hydrazine, UDMH, MMH and Aerozine50

MONx and UDMH, or MMH  (the x in MONx is a ratio number)

LOX and Kerosene (JP4 I believe), Liquid Hydrogen (yes the AJ10-133 was the GE Hydrolox AJ10 for their Apollo program small capsule proposal.

I am uncertain if any Liquid fluorine shenanigans hit this engine... but if it did *SHUDDER*  

Edited by Pappystein