[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

It was a pretty simple launcher with great control. The payload was a DDV (Duna Descent Vehicle) for testing and it worked out well. I guess I could make a DAV and try to get him off the surface. Get Dilhat Home!

Wait... you put boots on the surface of Duna... with no way home? I think I may just have to take the "Simple launcher" away from you until you learn that that's against the rules! :P

If you want me to, I can do some 3D modeling for you, I have wings 3D now

I encourage you to start learning how to mod! But to be perfectly honest I have enough difficulty keeping track of my own efforts. Frankly I'd rather not coordinate more people. I hope to see what you come up with!

Well i dont know much about animations, but the goo experiment does not seem very comlicated, and with the use of the cfg of the goo you could try and model your own,

Apart from that, I really like how your experiment works, now a few questions, where do you want it to work?

only in orbit, and in differd orbits (low orbit, high orbit etc.)or only a single per planet. I could try and write a few results if you want

Just gonna post this again since it immediately got smacked off the front page.

So if anyone can help with the animations, that'd be awesome. Update is proceeding as planned: Working on the science and antenna parts.

http://i.imgur.com/auNz82S.png
I think that you should make it fit with the stock Mercury capsule and just add a retropack, chutes and LES for it. Agena too? Sweet!

Well i dont know much about animations, but the goo experiment does not seem very comlicated, and with the use of the cfg of the goo you could try and model your own,

Apart from that, I really like how your experiment works, now a few questions, where do you want it to work?

only in orbit, and in differd orbits (low orbit, high orbit etc.)or only a single per planet. I could try and write a few results if you want

I'm supposed to be handling sciencedefs but... or lord, I'm so lazy.

I assumed that the MM detector would have different experiments for high orbit and low orbit of each planet. Maybe a different one interplanetary space?

I'm supposed to be handling sciencedefs but... or lord, I'm so lazy.

I assumed that the MM detector would have different experiments for high orbit and low orbit of each planet. Maybe a different one interplanetary space?

I will go working on it, now the question is, do you want it to be more funny or more serious?

then i will make one for high and low orbit for each planet (and moons?) and for interplanetary space

I guess just make them 'Kerbal', which is a mix of funny and serious, leaning towards funny. In the current release there is a sciencedefs files that includes the Micrometeoroid experiment. You can open that up in notepad to see how it works.

EDIT: Aight, two things. So: Atlas is indeed happening, but it is a long way off. As in, it got appended to the end of my priority list. Don't expect it soon. Top priority is still in redoing / polishing the parts currently in the pack.

HxmFgwD.png

The needle animates. Continuing my efforts to avoid 'boxes full of science', this one is a cylinder!

Edited by CobaltWolf

http://i.imgur.com/auNz82S.png

You know I've been thinking about how to implement atlas for a while. The problem with doing the way people first think of (dropping the engines) is that mods like KER and MechJeb don't play nice with unconventional uses for the decoupler module. So unless you use fuel lines you lose your DV read out, but fuel lines come much too late in the tree for what people expect of a rocket that put one of the early astronauts into space. So what else is there?

The conclusion I came to was that since the goal of the Atlas stage and half system was essentially trading thrust for isp what could be done is make the three nozzles all one engine and give it a mode switch to alternate between high thrust low isp mode and low thrust high isp mode (and turn the particle effects for the outer engines off if possible) to reach the same level of performance as the real atlas in our tiny toy sized kerbal solar system.

Next issue with atlas is flight stability using kerbal balance that engine may make atlas fairly bottom heavy and the real world design didn't incorporate fins. The conclusion I came to was to combine the engine and the straight part of the tank as one part(effectively making it a 1.875m tri-nozzle equivalent to the twin bore) and offset the COM towards the top of the part so that it flies like a badminton.

Edited by passinglurker

Now lets avoid cylinders ful of science... just kidding, it looks really good.

you could try and make it look like it is sucking up particles, like it is going to fire a laser shot to measure them

I will go working on them tomorrow i think, I will edit the cfg file that comes with the mod, I will then send it to you how?

I will try and make them as kerbal as possible

You know I've been thinking about how to implement atlas for a while. The problem with doing the way people first think of (dropping the engines) is that mods like KER and MechJeb don't play nice with unconventional uses for the decoupler module. So unless you use fuel lines you lose your DV read out, but fuel lines come much too late in the tree for what people expect of a rocket that put one of the early astronauts into space. So what else is there?

The conclusion I came to was that since the goal of the Atlas stage and half system was essentially trading thrust for isp what could be done is make the three nozzles all one engine and give it a mode switch to alternate between high thrust low isp mode and low thrust high isp mode (and turn the particle effects for the outer engines off if possible) to reach the same level of performance as the real atlas in our tiny toy sized kerbal solar system.

Next issue with atlas is flight stability using kerbal balance that engine may make atlas fairly bottom heavy and the real world design didn't incorporate fins. The conclusion I came to was to combine the engine and the straight part of the tank as one part(effectively making it a 1.875m tri-nozzle equivalent to the twin bore) and offset the COM towards the top of the part so that it flies like a badminton.

I don't think it's so much trading thrust for isp as it is trading thrust for weight and thus delta V. Once you're out of the worst of the atmosphere the need for TWR diminishes so you drop the extra engines. I don't think there's any real reason to do it much differently than, say, FASA. Asides from the obvious sizing differences. I had some success with making the bell of the main engine 1.25m and making the boosters .625m, for a rocket that's 2.5m at the bottom.

Now lets avoid cylinders ful of science... just kidding, it looks really good.

you could try and make it look like it is sucking up particles, like it is going to fire a laser shot to measure them

I will go working on them tomorrow i think, I will edit the cfg file that comes with the mod, I will then send it to you how?

I will try and make them as kerbal as possible

Perhaps. I'm not really sure how to animate the geiger counter. I'm looking into DMagic's animation plugin since it allows experiments that only go one way, as well as experiments that consume resources... like film. :)

I'll just PM you my email address.

I don't think it's so much trading thrust for isp as it is trading thrust for weight and thus delta V. Once you're out of the worst of the atmosphere the need for TWR diminishes so you drop the extra engines. I don't think there's any real reason to do it much differently than, say, FASA. Asides from the obvious sizing differences. I had some success with making the bell of the main engine 1.25m and making the boosters .625m, for a rocket that's 2.5m at the bottom.

the sustainer engine was optimized for higher altitude and hence had higher isp (they lit it on the ground because they didn't know if you could ignite a rocket engine in a vacuum at that point) dropping the outer engines or even shutting them off therefore raises the average isp of the rocket.

They crunched the numbers in the OMKS and Tantares threads the size of SM-65 Atlas and Titan II relative to a 1.25m mercury was actually 1.875m. as for doing it differently I would consider compatibility with KER and Mechjeb DV read outs to be a pretty big reason to. I understand that the execution seems unrealistic but it would achieve the same effect it would simply be a matter of balancing the numbers right to compensate for having the weight fixed through accent, but a mode swith is a workable alternative to stage and a half its why there is so much interest in tripropellant engines for ssto's and the atlas is the closest we've ever gotten to a real life ssto.

I have the science file for the detector done, you can download it here:

http://jorisweb.eu/kerbal.html

if may contain a few errors in the text, sorry but english is not my native languase

Oh wow I like them! The only problem is Kerbal sciencedefs are in second person ('You look at the thermometer', 'You inspect the goo'). Do you want to change that or would you like me? Don't worry too much about spelling/grammar I don't mind editing it.

EDIT: Also know that it doesn't know the composition of the debris. So we wouldn't know that, say, the debris from Duna is ferrous.

If you want I can change it that you only have the shape, size and what flies away when you look out of the window at the sensor

I can also change the second person if you want

Doesn't necessarily need to be that simple. For example, I liked the bit about Minmus throwing snowballs. I mean don't make them too scientific, talking about the chemical composition and stuff. I would also say to remember a) this instrument would mostly belong on probes, so the characters probably aren't interacting with it - that's what crew reports are for. So things like referencing Jeb doesn't really work, especially because we don't know whether Jeb is there, or even alive, depending on the player. The detector is meant to give an idea of the number / frequency of impacts. So around Dres, where there are a lot of asteroids, there would probably be a lot of impacts.