[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Will tell you when I reach it... I'm playing with Galactic Neighbourhood, which has planet packs spawn in other systems, so it'll be awhile. So far, so great though.

One small caveat- maybe have the base Atlas parts available sooner in the tech tree.

Oh really? I didn't know GN did that; I don't have time to play much anymore :P That sounds really cool though!

The Atlas parts are placed to try and give you a tier of 1.875m parts before 2.5m, and then eventually mature 1.875m rockets (Titan, etc) in the early 2.5m node. I may look into placing them back a bit. In all honesty the stock tech tree (which unfortunately I have to balance against) is fairly cramped in the early game - I would want it to be twice as big if I could, so that there was time to develop early rockets more. Eventually there will also be a tier of 1.5m rockets (Thor) in the node before Atlas, which should help some. Unless your concern was just wanting an Atlas/Mercury early, in which case I'm not sure what to do about that. It's hard to balance, well, balance, with historical progression.

My Hero :)

:3

Oh really? I didn't know GN did that; I don't have time to play much anymore :P That sounds really cool though!

The Atlas parts are placed to try and give you a tier of 1.875m parts before 2.5m, and then eventually mature 1.875m rockets (Titan, etc) in the early 2.5m node. I may look into placing them back a bit. In all honesty the stock tech tree (which unfortunately I have to balance against) is fairly cramped in the early game - I would want it to be twice as big if I could, so that there was time to develop early rockets more. Eventually there will also be a tier of 1.5m rockets (Thor) in the node before Atlas, which should help some. Unless your concern was just wanting an Atlas/Mercury early, in which case I'm not sure what to do about that. It's hard to balance, well, balance, with historical progression.

:3

But where do I find your Atlas main stage (this: http://i.imgur.com/tGPVBwW.png)? The Muo engine and orange tank is your take on Atlas V, which I've yet to reach, historically.

My concern is that I've already unlocked the SM-65 version of the Atlas rocket from the OMSK mod and want to start launching Atlas-Centaur. OMSK has it's own line of Atlas-Centaur parts, which I will be using, I just want yours as well. You know, for variety, among other things (like yours being of better graphical fidelity)...

Edit: Sigh... I just checked my folder against a freshly downloaded zip of your mod... Guess I didn't update properly...

Edited by BananaDealer

But where do I find your Atlas main stage (this: http://i.imgur.com/tGPVBwW.png)? The Muo engine and orange tank is your take on Atlas V, which I've yet to reach, historically.

My concern is that I've already unlocked the SM-65 version of the Atlas rocket from the OMSK mod and want to start launching Atlas-Centaur. OMSK has it's own line of Atlas-Centaur parts, which I will be using, I just want yours as well. You know, for variety, among other things (like yours being of better graphical fidelity)...

Edit: Sigh... I just checked my folder against a freshly downloaded zip of your mod... Guess I didn't update properly...

I'm sorry about that! Did you by any chance update late Wednesday / early Thursday morning? I changed the thread title, etc but then couldn't update the Kerbalstuff download!

The Atlas V will be updated at some point. In the mean time, I took a short break from my animation homework to start making this.

N23A5vY.png

By the way... who here wants another Gemini? Cus I accidentally put some more time in to working on BDB... I was always a big fan of the Radish from HGR. Since Orionkermin is busy, I decided to try and attempt it. Basically, since I'm already adding 1.5m as a size for Thor, an MOL and some other stuff, I might as well have my own Gemini capsule. I plan on making it with a flat bottom, with a 1.5m heat shield with two nodes - one with a 1.25m adapter fairing, one with a 1.5m adapter fairing. Just experimenting.

fDeqPBU.png

And I guess here's an old pic of the WIP Agena, so newcomers who have been asking for it have an idea of the direction it's going. The additional OMS system will be separate parts and there will be multiple configurations between all the parts in the mod. I am not sure how to make the fairing work. I think I'll just leave it to people to make an interstage with either stock fairings or PFairings. On that note, I am planning on making a small pack of textures for PFairings at some point, since it lacks good stockalike textures. More of them are meant to fit into the Realism Overhaul stuff which, while cool + fun, doesn't fit in stockalike saves.

qOdVvby.png

Yeah, that's probably what happened...

Anywho, problem solved! Great mod. I'll get you some pictures of my forthcoming Atlas-Centaur-SLV3 launch when I get to it.

As for another Gemini lookalike, we have the Corvus 1.25m version from Orionkermin and Beale's take on Gemini in his Tantares mod. Plus there's always FASA, so I think we're good. You can make your own, sure, and we'll probably love it but I think maybe focus on satellites and launch vehicles, since that's where you started.

Edited by BananaDealer

Yeah, that's probably what happened...

Anywho, problem solved! Great mod. I'll get you some pictures of my forthcoming Atlas-Centaur-SLV3 launch when I get to it.

As for another Gemini lookalike, we have the Corvus 1.25m version from Orionkermin and Beale's take on Gemini in his Tantares mod. Plus there's always FASA, so I think we're good. You can make your own, sure, and we'll probably love it but I think maybe focus on satellites and launch vehicles, since that's where you started.

Yeah I am unsure whether or not I want to finish it. I took about 30 mins to rough it out just to try it on. As I said, it's only because I am already adding 1.5m as a size for several things.

On a side note, I don't really think I have any particular thing that I want the mod to be. It's more or less just things I make for KSP. If at some point it reaches some critical mass and people want it split up, that can certainly happen. But I don't want to say that BDB is just for LV's and probe parts. With that said, the next two big updates are probes and launchers...

ROCKETS UPDATE

-Emissives for engines

-Atlas engines, Redstone

-Include in new engines as they're made (want to take polish to the next step for future releases)

-!Fix atlas engine fairings!

-also fix atlas vernier effects

-Finish Agena parts

-Model OMS pods

-Finish modeling engine

-Restart on adapter tank?

-Finish booster SRB

-Redo Atlas V

-Add second tank to CCB

-Redstone Fuel tank

-Vanguard

-.9375m fuel tank

-.9375m > .625m adapter tank

-.625m starting tech decoupler

-Vanguard first stage LFE

-Able

-.625m tank

-AJ10 (mono?)

-.625m>.9375m fairing base

-No point in .625m fairing base, too small

-Ablestar

-.9375m tank

-.9375>1.25 fairing base

-updated AJ10 - make distinct from able

-Thor

-1.5m main tank, 3 lengths

-1.5m > 1.25m adapter tank, 2 lengths

-1.25m > .9375m adapter tank

-Thor engine - includes verniers (would have to be set up as one main engine and another dual nozzle engine in one part)

-Standalone verniers already present in Atlas parts.

-Radish-alike?

-MOL

-Port + Finish Bloeting parts

-early .625m LES

-Procedural parts textures

PROBES UPDATE

-Model probe cores

-Venera?

-Mariner?

-Explorer 7?

-Ranger

-New SCIENCE!

-Folding magnetometer

-Philae drill

-.625m klaw - philae

-Inline mystery goo - model after Sputnik 2 capsule. Include batteries?

-Small solid upper stage with RCS - Vanguard 3

-Small RCS w/ integrated tank

-3way RCS w/ integrated tank

-Lunar Orbiter engine

-thermal louvers

-Solar battery

-ranger trapezoid solar panels

(for after 1.1 updates wheels and I believe landing legssystem)

-Curiosity wheels

-new probe landing legs

-CAMERAS (eventually... if I get around to it...)

-LO camera unit

-Wide angle camera

-Narrow angle camera

-Mariner 10 system

Yeah I am unsure whether or not I want to finish it. I took about 30 mins to rough it out just to try it on. As I said, it's only because I am already adding 1.5m as a size for several things.

On a side note, I don't really think I have any particular thing that I want the mod to be. It's more or less just things I make for KSP. If at some point it reaches some critical mass and people want it split up, that can certainly happen. But I don't want to say that BDB is just for LV's and probe parts. With that said, the next two big updates are probes and launchers...

ROCKETS UPDATE

-Emissives for engines

-Atlas engines, Redstone

-Include in new engines as they're made (want to take polish to the next step for future releases)

-!Fix atlas engine fairings!

-also fix atlas vernier effects

-Finish Agena parts

-Model OMS pods

-Finish modeling engine

-Restart on adapter tank?

-Finish booster SRB

-Redo Atlas V

-Add second tank to CCB

-Redstone Fuel tank

-Vanguard

-.9375m fuel tank

-.625m starting tech decoupler

-Vanguard first stage LFE

-Able

-.625m tank

-AJ10 (mono?)

-.625m>.9375m fairing base

-No point in .625m fairing base, too small

-Ablestar

-.9375m tank

-.9375>1.25 fairing base

-updated AJ10 - make distinct from able

-Thor

-1.5m main tank, 3 lengths

-1.5m > 1.25m adapter tank, 2 lengths

-1.25m > .9375m adapter tank

-Thor engine - includes verniers (would have to be set up as one main engine and another dual nozzle engine in one part)

-Standalone verniers already present in Atlas parts.

-Radish-alike?

-MOL

-Port + Finish Bloeting parts

-early .625m LES

-Procedural parts textures

PROBES UPDATE

-Model probe cores

-Venera?

-Mariner?

-Explorer 7?

-Ranger

-New SCIENCE!

-Folding magnetometer

-Philae drill

-.625m klaw - philae

-Inline mystery goo - model after Sputnik 2 capsule. Include batteries?

-Small solid upper stage with RCS - Vanguard 3

-Small RCS w/ integrated tank

-3way RCS w/ integrated tank

-Lunar Orbiter engine

-thermal louvers

-Solar battery

-ranger trapezoid solar panels

(for after 1.1 updates wheels and I believe landing legssystem)

-Curiosity wheels

-new probe landing legs

-CAMERAS (eventually... if I get around to it...)

-LO camera unit

-Wide angle camera

-Narrow angle camera

-Mariner 10 system

This all sounds brilliant to me.

I say stick with the Gemini like pod...I used HGR too but don't want to have two part packs when BDB has everything I want.

Nice work, I love the stockalike feel of this pack!

I've been putting together some RO configs - they're very WIP-ish but usable. It includes Atlas I, Atlas II(A) and Atlas III (A&B), using tank extensions & engine configs to convert between the versions (basic Centaur + Atlas core is Atlas I, adding Centaur extension and Atlas sustainer tank extension makes Atlas II, adding third Centaur extension, third sustainer extension and replacing booster segment with RD180 makes Atlas III).

https://github.com/A1Ch1/RealismOverhaul/tree/BluedogAtlas

Nice work, I love the stockalike feel of this pack!

I've been putting together some RO configs - they're very WIP-ish but usable. It includes Atlas I, Atlas II(A) and Atlas III (A&B), using tank extensions & engine configs to convert between the versions (basic Centaur + Atlas core is Atlas I, adding Centaur extension and Atlas sustainer tank extension makes Atlas II, adding third Centaur extension, third sustainer extension and replacing booster segment with RD180 makes Atlas III).

https://github.com/A1Ch1/RealismOverhaul/tree/BluedogAtlas

No way... Thanks so much, man!

As promised, here's some pictures of my first Atlas-Centaur launch.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Standard configuration Atlas-SLV3 with the new booster and sustainer engines, separation of the half-stage was at the standard altitude of 24km. The Centaur upper stage was in the "Medium" configuration- main tank plus a half-tank and two engines. For consecutive launches, we may move to orange tanks. Fairings are hard-shells taken from the AIES mod, along with SAS units for both the main and upper stages.

As a side note- I noticed that the emissives on the radial engines may be overlapping with the nozzles. Also, the Centaur decoupler kinda wobbles somewhat on vessel load and may end up slightly crooked. Nothing that causes problems, it's just the right amount of offset to be noticeable.

Edited by BananaDealer

Nanners,

Thanks for the screenshots! Alright if I put a couple in the OP?

On your two bugs-

1) I could not figure out how to get the emmissives on the verniers to work. Apparently fxOffset doesn't work anymore, and the thrustTransform needs to be somewhat far back in order to rotate properly.

2) Yeah I missed that when I was testing for release, or rather, I saw it but forgot to add it to my todo list, thus thought I was go for release when I wasn't. It will be fixed in the next update.

What does your ranger 2 look like? :)

As promised, here's some pictures of my first Atlas-Centaur launch.

http://imgur.com/a/R8HPc

Standard configuration Atlas-SLV3 with the new booster and sustainer engines, separation of the half-stage was at the standard altitude of 24km. The Centaur upper stage was in the "Medium" configuration- main tank plus a half-tank and two engines. For consecutive launches, we may move to orange tanks. Fairings are hard-shells taken from the AIES mod, along with SAS units for both the main and upper stages.

As a side note- I noticed that the emissives on the radial engines may be overlapping with the nozzles. Also, the Centaur decoupler kinda wobbles somewhat on vessel load and may end up slightly crooked. Nothing that causes problems, it's just the right amount of offset to be noticeable.

Woah! My super big hardcore science install had a Ranger series too. It didn't by chance land on Duna, did it..?

>>Ranger

>>"land"

:P

Well Ranger 2 landed on Duna... Ranger 1 flew by the Mun, ranger 3 flew by Dres(That screenshot I took that's in the OP album now) and Ranger 4 flew by Eve.

By the way I made a mistake! Ranger 3 flew by Dres and now Moho, I got the two mixed up because I pay so little attention to them.

Nanners,

Thanks for the screenshots! Alright if I put a couple in the OP?

On your two bugs-

1) I could not figure out how to get the emmissives on the verniers to work. Apparently fxOffset doesn't work anymore, and the thrustTransform needs to be somewhat far back in order to rotate properly.

2) Yeah I missed that when I was testing for release, or rather, I saw it but forgot to add it to my todo list, thus thought I was go for release when I wasn't. It will be fixed in the next update.

That's why they're here. I've still to actually start putting them up on my playthrough thread, so you got dibs...

Ranger Two, as per the rest of my game so far, is much like the NASA Ranger 2. The only difference being that it carries a hard-lander probe for some contractual obligations, along with an Altimetry scanner.

Alright Banana, I added a couple to the OP gallery. Though in my experience imgur is on a 24 hour delay when you add / remove images to a gallery.

Also, happy nuclear holocaust everyone! I haven't gotten any more done for BDB since the last batch of screenshots I posted. Fallout 4 releases tonight, so for the foreseeable future I probably won't be working too much on KSP stuff. With that said, I don't think it will be quite the hiatus I thought it would be. So stay tuned, I'll post progress updates as they come.