[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Happy birthday from me... (*Hint: It's my Birthday) 

The launch of a Prometheus - II Inter Kontinental Ballistic Missile (IKBM), on it's way towards the Koviet Union. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, a Silo was unable to be made. The boss figured putting everything in a shady grey tube would work instead. Also, this is my Duna mission from last night's stream. 

There are no launch photos, since it was launched before I was asked to take screenshots.

2 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

The launch of a Prometheus - II Inter Kontinental Ballistic Missile (IKBM), on it's way towards the Koviet Union. Unfortunately, due to budget cuts, a Silo was unable to be made. The boss figured putting everything in a shady grey tube would work instead. Also, this is my Duna mission from last night's stream. 

There are no launch photos, since it was launched before I was asked to take screenshots.

Siiiiick. 

Happy birthday though, fam.  

1 hour ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Happy birthday!

Stream is up, come over to Twitch for a couple hours of KSP dev and chill.

2 hours ago, CaptRobau said:

The KD2 Antenna, which is billed as weightless, is 4 times as heavy (0.02t vs. 0.005t) as the M17 Solar Antenna which folds and has a built in solar panel. I think you forgot to add a 0 or something to that 0.02t.

Fixed (and complained about) on the stream tonight. :)

Even if the parts of rockets, are to describe from the viewpoint of art-design as appealing, the whole mod severe deficits in the dimensions.
Instantly fits nothing really to each other.
From my own experience, the following guideline for the implementation of Kerbal-capable missile replicas have shown:

1. Halve the lengths of the original and set the diameter to the nearest base-level of KSP. (No Complaints on diameter)
2. Divide the weight and volume information by eight.
3. Divide the thrust by four. (This is due to the disproportionate gravitation and the extremely dense and high atmosphere of Kerbin.)
4. CHANGE never the ISP of rocket engines.
5.'ll double the thrust for upper stages which have to be translated for circulation of the orbits.

A TITAN-2 should have a height of 70-100 km reached at the end of firing the second stage and the speed of approximately 200 m/s lower than the orbital velocity. Finally, the second stage is to go back and do not remain in orbit as garbage.

Edited by hraban

4 hours ago, hraban said:

Even if the parts of rockets, are to describe from the viewpoint of art-design as appealing, the whole mod severe deficits in the dimensions.
Instantly fits nothing really to each other.
From my own experience, the following guideline for the implementation of Kerbal-capable missile replicas have shown:

1. Halve the lengths of the original and set the diameter to the nearest base-level of KSP. (No Complaints on diameter)
2. Divide the weight and volume information by eight.
3. Divide the thrust by four. (This is due to the disproportionate gravitation and the extremely dense and high atmosphere of Kerbin.)
4. CHANGE never the ISP of rocket engines.
5.'ll double the thrust for upper stages which have to be translated for circulation of the orbits.

A TITAN-2 should have a height of 70-100 km reached at the end of firing the second stage and the speed of approximately 200 m/s lower than the orbital velocity. Finally, the second stage is to go back and do not remain in orbit as garbage.

Are you talking specifically about Titan or the parts in general? Titan currently has too much thrust and ISP.

Are you saying the height should be halved, but then the diameter should be multiplied by about 0.64? If so you get chibi rockets and that's kind of adorable haha.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are you talking specifically about Titan or the parts in general? Titan currently has too much thrust and ISP.

Are you saying the height should be halved, but then the diameter should be multiplied by about 0.64? If so you get chibi rockets and that's kind of adorable haha.

I've noticed when trying to put together the parts of Titan variants that SRB are disproportionately long. Even the well-crafted Decoupler for the second stage kills the image of Titan because that is the distance from 1st to 2nd stage is far too long.

Well, even though 2 Kerbals to be transported with the Titan-2 must be "a death die" (German proverb). With 1.875m in diameter and approximately 16 meters in length, the Titan-2/Gemini sees any case more Kerbal-kind and is still clearly recognizable as a Titan-2.

Judging by the mentioned rule would have the Titan-2 just 1.5m in diameter. (3.04m / 2 = 1.52 ~ 1.50m). Best match was 1.25m *lol*

1 hour ago, hraban said:

I've noticed when trying to put together the parts of Titan variants that SRB are disproportionately long. Even the well-crafted Decoupler for the second stage kills the image of Titan because that is the distance from 1st to 2nd stage is far too long.

Well, even though 2 Kerbals to be transported with the Titan-2 must be "a death die" (German proverb). With 1.875m in diameter and approximately 16 meters in length, the Titan-2/Gemini sees any case more Kerbal-kind and is still clearly recognizable as a Titan-2.

Judging by the mentioned rule would have the Titan-2 just 1.5m in diameter. (3.04m / 2 = 1.52 ~ 1.50m). Best match was 1.25m *lol*

I'm not entirely sure what to say to that. The parts are all made using the best orthographics I can find. Though I believe I *did* mess up a bit in regards to the 1.875m second stage decoupler. If I recall correctly, if you add the decoupler + the second stage auto fairing together it's longer than the interstage should have been IRL.
EDIT: Another though occured to me: while IRL rockets usually have the decouplers, engine fairings and adapters in the same section, KSP rockets do not. This can be alleviated somewhat by using PFairings for interstages.

3m * 0.625 (I believe that's the scaling I normally use, I could be confused) results in Titan being, well, 1.875m. The nice thing about it is that it's almost the same size as Atlas, so both can use 1.875m comfortably, resulting in the size being fairly fleshed out. Similarly, the 1.5m used in Thor is also useful for the bottom diameter of the Gemini capsule, the second stage of Titan 1, Delta II/III, and some other things I'm likely forgetting.

"A death die"? I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say in that paragraph haha.

So, I've spent the day cleaning my apartment while waiting for Vray renders on my desktop. While I was doing so, a thought occurred to me, and I hopped on to share. As has been pointed out to me several times, this mod adds... a LOT of parts. I had an idea to help keep things organized. While I have tried to include references to the part family in the names of the parts, perhaps that could be taken one step further by specifying in the manufacturer what family a part belongs to. For instance, the Prometheus/Titan parts would be listed as being manufactured by 'Bluedog Design Bureau - Prometheus' or 'Bluedog Design Bureau - Prometheus Program' or even BDB followed by some acronym. That way you could use sorting by manufacturer to only show parts for building particular rockets.

Also, another thought has occurred to me. I, along with... well, I'd assume most of you, have been awestruck by the beautiful work @DangerouslyDave has been doing. I've been musing at his screenshots for several days now. The attention to detail, with things like functional engine gimbals, animated fuel lines and emissives is great. In comparison, BDB has certainly gone for a quantity over quality approach. I have not done things like emissives or animated gimbals for any of the engines, for example. I am curious how users feel about this. Personally, I already feel that the dev times for the mod are already unbearably long. I can't even get a quarter way through one of the projects before I'm itching to be done so I can move on to the next thing. Trying to go through and add more polish to the mod is certainly possible, but will slow things down. If there is significant desire to see such polish put into the parts, I can certainly try to oblige. (I still won't do IVAs)

Edited by CobaltWolf

Very cool! There's something I just love about Mercury/Redstone. It's just such a classic, simple rocket design.

Speaking of classic, simple designs (thanks for the seque @Sgt.Shutesie) I took a break from my reading assignments to play around a bit with a 'worm' logo for BDB. Which one do people like best? I also will probably make some changes / updates to the original logo at some point - it's fairly messy.

9Ht3tPZ.jpg

I like the second one @CobaltWolf the best.

I got the book Breaking The Chains of Gravity started reading it, and it is really good so far. I recommend it! It's the history of spaceflight before NASA. On to Cosmos by Carl Sagan afterwards. I just needed a break for the mind screwing physics of Neil deGrasse Tyson's Death by Black Hole. I recommend all three, guys. Check them out if you get a chance!

Edited by drekerb42
I took a good hard look and decided to go number two...

Don't forget the Jason-3 Launch today! 

Launch is at 1:42 ET and 10:42 PT which are both 18:42 UTC

Don't forget it! There is a live stream on youtube. They will be doing a rocket landing attempt on a drone ship. We're all rooting for SpaceX!

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Very cool! There's something I just love about Mercury/Redstone. It's just such a classic, simple rocket design.

Speaking of classic, simple designs (thanks for the seque @Sgt.Shutesie) I took a break from my reading assignments to play around a bit with a 'worm' logo for BDB. Which one do people like best? I also will probably make some changes / updates to the original logo at some point - it's fairly messy.

9Ht3tPZ.jpg

The second one, it is.