[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

34 minutes ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

GEM-40 has TVC too. 3 boosters of 9 on D2 have TVC I believe.

And GEM-46 were used on Delta IItoo, in the Heavy version of the rocket.

Just my 2 cents ;)

8 minutes ago, A1Ch1 said:

The GEM 40 was offered with TVC, but the version used on the Delta II didn't use it. The GEM 46 had TVC on the Delta III (3 of 6 ground ignited used it, the other 3 ground ignited boosters and the three air ignited ones used fixed nozzles), but TVC wasn't used on the GEM 46 when it was used on the Delta II Heavy. On the Delta IV, two boosters use TVC and the other two (if used) have fixed nozzles.

My plan was to have the GEM-40 lack TVC, the GEM-46 have slightly more fuel and have TVC at the cost of being more expensive, and the GEM-60 would be the big bro of the GEM-46. Anyways, here's the Delta II parts. I've cannibalized the engine from the Thor engine, and just made a new fairing for it. There are 9 SRB mounting ribs on the engine - should I reduce it to 8? Probably not but I'm curious what people want.

uRbiuRZ.png

BTW the RO configs for BDB are coming along, there's a lot to go through though! So far I've got the Atlas Agena and Atlas Centaur variants down. I've been using a spreadsheet to keep track of the parts and which variants use them. The scope of BDB is pretty awesome; it'll be possible to recreate almost any Thor, Delta, Atlas, or Titan variant that ever flew! The only thing I could ask for in terms of realism are some kind of jettisonable insulation panels for Centaur: 

Spoiler

aecDMCg.jpgLvx0ve1.jpg

22 minutes ago, A1Ch1 said:

BTW the RO configs for BDB are coming along, there's a lot to go through though! So far I've got the Atlas Agena and Atlas Centaur variants down. I've been using a spreadsheet to keep track of the parts and which variants use them. The scope of BDB is pretty awesome; it'll be possible to recreate almost any Thor, Delta, Atlas, or Titan variant that ever flew! The only thing I could ask for in terms of realism are some kind of jettisonable insulation panels for Centaur: 

Hide contents

aecDMCg.jpgLvx0ve1.jpg

Mmm... Can't wait for everything to be RO compatible! 

22 minutes ago, A1Ch1 said:

Reveal hidden contents

aecDMCg.jpgLvx0ve1.jpg

Awesome! It's great to hear that we've got to that point - and hopefully soon we're approaching variants that never even got off the drawing board.

I know the Centaur tanks had the insulation panels, but I am not sure how I'd represent them in game. Certainly they'd have no practical use. Would they in RO? Unfortunately even then I doubt I would bother doing them just for RO reasons.

If you're not using the dev releases for that sort of work, I'd recommend switching over - Thor has been entirely redone, for example.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Awesome! It's great to hear that we've got to that point - and hopefully soon we're approaching variants that never even got off the drawing board.

I know the Centaur tanks had the insulation panels, but I am not sure how I'd represent them in game. Certainly they'd have no practical use. Would they in RO? Unfortunately even then I doubt I would bother doing them just for RO reasons.

If you're not using the dev releases for that sort of work, I'd recommend switching over - Thor has been entirely redone, for example.

Yeah, the Thor configs were the first things I worked on so I've been meaning to come back to them. Fortunately by keeping parts on a spreadsheet its easy to adjust mass/propellant and keep track of the effect it has on other variants.

As for panels, I was thinking of just a thin, white, quarter-cylinder decoupler: four of them wrap all the way around Centaur and they all blast off when you stage. A white quarter-cylinder part would work fine, since the decoupler can always be added manually.They don't make a big difference in RO, but they weighed about 600 kg and separated just after booster pack jettison. It's not a big deal at all, just saying its the only thing on my parts wishlist :) I've been simulating them with a procedural interstage, which works just fine except for the interstage base not matching Centaur very well (here I'm using a KW proc interstage, since it matches closest): Test. Now that I think about it, I can probably just add proc interstage nodes to a version of the Centaur base itself to get the same result :) 

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@fs10inator do you have any input on the H series of Japanese rockets? Anything cool about them that's worth including?

<ahem>

All Japanese derivatives* of the Delta rocket flew with Castor-2 (TX-354-3) strap-on motors from 1975 to 1992.

H-I

• The H-I, along with its predecessor, the N-II, have enjoyed a 100% success record.

This is the H-I's second stage. It doesn't use any hypergolic fuels at all.
El4m6It.png
QMa9cvy.jpg

• The H-I can also fly with an optional 3rd stage solid motor, a Nissan UM-129A.
  • The H-I flies with either 6 or 9 strap-on boosters.

H-II
The H-II flew with 2 small SSBs** (the small solid rocket seen between the two larger SRBs) only once—in 1995, on the H-II's 3rd flight (H-II 003/3F). They ignited once the rocket cleared the pad.
h2_2_1.jpg

The H-II is also capable of launching dual-payload missions in a manner similar to that of its successor, the H-IIA.

H-IIA

• At any time the H-IIA flies with 2 SSB pairs (H2A-2024). the first pair would ignite at T+10 seconds, and the second one would ignite in flight after the first pair shuts down. The SRB-A's*** jettisoned alongside SSB pair 1, while SSB pair 2 pushed the rocket onward. Once they've done their job, the second pair of SSBs would then separate, like in this video.
  • On the other hand, it it flies with only one SSB pair (H2A-2022), then that SSB pair would ignite after the rocket has cleared the tower. After SRB-A burnout, the SSB pair would jettison, along with the two SRB-A's.
  • The H-IIA can fly with 1 (H2A-202) or 2 (H2A-204) pairs of SRB-A strap-on boosters.
  • Speaking of SRB-A, here's an explanation of the SRB-A separation.
  • Much like its predecessor, the H-IIA can fly with 2 satellites as well, by utilizing a dual satellite system, which includes upper and lower fairing sections (middle two fairings in the below picture).

h_2_il001.gif

Notes: 
-The H-IIA doesn't fly with SSBs anymore.
-In the fairing configurations above, S stands for single (payload), and D stands for dual (payload).
-5S-H is for the H-IIB.
-Also, a configuration similar to the 5/4D fairing shown above only flew once (H-II Flight No. 3), and so far, not on any H-IIA rocket.

*N-I, N-II, and H-I.
*SSB: solid strap-on booster, aka solid sub booster (latter according to Gunter Krebs).
**SRB-A: Solid Rocket Booster, Advanced.

Edited by fs10inator

Well, my night class ran 90 minutes late and I just poured boiling water all over my right hand trying to make dinner. STREAM TIME!

I made a mistake... Tried to start working too late when I have an early class tomorrow. I bailed haha.

@fs10inator I'll look at the H1's upper stage but no promises.

Edited by CobaltWolf

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 0:32 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Well there is no official release for the Titan parts. Also, stream's up.

Dev release. Cameras are done and in game but don't have full sciencedefs. I'm awful at writing them. If you're interested in writing them please PM me.

EDIT: The first dev release was broken and somehow was missing most of the assets. It is now fixed.

UR5jDo9.png

Oh duh. I accepted the mission bro

Alright, the stream is done. Lot of good work got done. Delta II and the rest of the new science parts are in game. The new magnetometer doesn't work, I haven't had a chance to fix it. Dev release.

EDIT: I'll post screenshots in the morning.

EDIT2: Images from last night. I went to Duna for the first time!

Edited by CobaltWolf

Just now, NotAgain said:

Symmetry mode only goes up to eight. Am I missing something?

That's my point. The Delta 2 uses 9 SRBs. You can go up to 9 with the editor extensions mod (or even further), and at any rate you'll often want to attach in multiple 3x symmetries anyways.

3 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Just curious, are real plumes up and running?

I swear to God, Davidy we will fight right here and now. 

Joking, of course!  

Really though, in the stream I announced that I wasn't feeling much up to doing... Anything, really... For the past couple days.  Just a bit down. You'll get your RP, if not within the next couple days than I'm absolutely 100% sure they'll be in the next release in a week or so. 

Edited by VenomousRequiem