[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

RIP VenomousRequiem 2015-2016

She was kill

F

Some of you may remember that part of this update was going to revamp the old antennas (mostly because my texturing techniques have since improved) and add new ones, more than doubling the number available in the mod. I've been burning through them today and yesterday as I didn't feel like UV unwrapping stuff. With that said, the Diamant parts have started getting unwrapped. I also wanted to ask again - is there any great demand for Pioneer 1 / 4, and Explorer 11? All three are currently modeled as... 0.3125m parts. I think. Ditto the Asterix for the Diamant. I think. Would they get any use? Should I increase their size (meaning they may not fit in the fairings accurately) to make them more useful? I can't just let them be Tweakscale'd since then you'd likely run into the root part bug.

Anyways, here's the first batch of antennas / dishes:

q58eJbr.png

gTMy74r.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

39 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

F

Some of you may remember that part of this update was going to revamp the old antennas (mostly because my texturing techniques have since improved) and add new ones, more than doubling the number available in the mod. I've been burning through them today and yesterday as I didn't feel like UV unwrapping stuff. With that said, the Diamant parts have started getting unwrapped. I also wanted to ask again - is there any great demand for Pioneer 1 / 4, and Explorer 11? All three are currently modeled as... 0.3125m parts. I think. Ditto the Asterix for the Diamant. I think. Would they get any use? Should I increase their size (meaning they may not fit in the fairings accurately) to make them more useful? I can't just let them be Tweakscale'd since then you'd likely run into the root part bug.

Anyways, here's the first batch of antennas / dishes:

q58eJbr.png

gTMy74r.png

I'd love to see Pioneer. :D  

The antennas look GORGEOUS!!!

The parts look great.

As for AAP, I'm still keeping an eye out, but one thing that might be fun (and useful in pushing Saturn-Nova out) is the late 1980s/early 1990s National Launch System. It consisted of one type of engine (STME - Space Transportation Main Engine), two main types of tank (5.4m and an 8.4m tank which would reduce to a 3m and a 5m for simplicity in kerbal scale*). The proposed upper stages were all either STMEs or RL-10s. The one slightly complicated part would be the NLS-2's six engine stage-and-a-half base (think classic Atlas), but I know I have diagrams for that geometry saved.

NLS-1:

mlsmmsrb.jpg

Yes, those are Post-Challenger SRBs, but they were programmed to be replaced with NLS-1 cores (offering 1+2*SRB, 2, and 3 core options).

NLS-2:
nlsmmss.jpg

NLS-1 and 2 used common tankage and would have covered the medium to heavy lift range (Titan and above)

NLS-3 was a 5.4m single stick rocket, and few images of it exist (and none as pretty as the art above).

Just a thought.

Just now, lagcity613 said:

Hey, is there any chance of a fairing for Procedural Fairings being made? While the stock fairing system is okay, the mod is much more versatile. Right now some of my launchers look kind of patchwork, since resizing fairing bases isn't a thing.

I'm pretty sure BDB has Procedural Fairings.

44 minutes ago, fs10inator said:

I'm pretty sure BDB has Procedural Fairings.

I had them in progress for a time, but kind of just... stopped. I was a bit frustrated by some of the limitations of the system re: shape. I can upload the old WIP files (they still work) to Dropbox if anyone wants to 'officially' take over development of them. I would make some more textures for them, assuming I could figure out how they're unwrapped.

@TimothyC looks cool! I'm not sure if I'd have a spot for it but I can look into it. Same for you @Noah_Blade re: the Saturn V-B. The antenna on the left side of that Agena is interesting looking, I wonder if the artist just kind of doodled that or if it would actually work. It's something I notice is alarming common in all the old artist's impressions. I love the ones that are old oil paintings or whatever. Crayons I guess. The ones that look like what Timothy posted. :P

Also why do I always feel like working on KSP stuff on the days that I have to work all day and then go to a night class? T.T

@CobaltWolf & @Noah_Blade Yeah, Saturn V-B is fun. The first stage (the S-ID*) is a stage-and-a-half style stage (Like Atlas, and NLS-2) that is capable of delivering 51klbs to LEO, while only resulting in a 1/2 of one percent decrease in payload to the surface of the moon when used in a three stage stack configuration. In an S-ID + S-IVB configuration two engines could be deleted from the S-ID resulting in a 110klbs payload to LEO, or all engines could be left in place for 183klbs to LEO.

*The above numbers are for the Standard Length S-ID. A version with a 20 foot tank extension adds another 12klbs to the above numbers as a floor.

7 hours ago, TimothyC said:

@CobaltWolf & @Noah_Blade Yeah, Saturn V-B is fun. The first stage (the S-ID*) is a stage-and-a-half style stage (Like Atlas, and NLS-2) that is capable of delivering 51klbs to LEO, while only resulting in a 1/2 of one percent decrease in payload to the surface of the moon when used in a three stage stack configuration. In an S-ID + S-IVB configuration two engines could be deleted from the S-ID resulting in a 110klbs payload to LEO, or all engines could be left in place for 183klbs to LEO.

*The above numbers are for the Standard Length S-ID. A version with a 20 foot tank extension adds another 12klbs to the above numbers as a floor.

Aaah! Imperial units! :D

A Saturn V-B would be cool though, 1.5 state to orbit rockets are cool.

12 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Aaah! Imperial units! :D

A Saturn V-B would be cool though, 1.5 state to orbit rockets are cool.

Eh, it doesn't really matter since I don't have frame of reference for the metric version either. :P

Updates~

So, Diamant is almost completely UV unwrapped. All the engines and fuel tanks are done. Basically just need to unwrap Asterix, Diapason, and Diapason's solar panels. Texturing for that will begin this weekend. I also still need to unwrap Explorer / Pioneer / Sargents. Once I finish all that I'll try and get a dev release out.

@Beale has been making swimming progress on the Gemini parts. My current plan is once he's done with them, to take the textures and edit them for the BDB release. I want to make sure the textures between the Hermes, Spica (his Gemini) and the Malhena (the new name for the Carrot) all match so there will probably be a 3-way push and pull between the three styles as I try to unify them. We talked and I believe (don't hold me to this) that he is adding a deployable indexing key to his docking module. People who have used FASA's Gemini know what I'm talking about - there is a wedge shaped slot for in the cone of the Agena docking port. There is a small bar that extends from the nose of the Gemini, perpendicular to the axis of the spacecraft. It slides in the slot on the ADP to guide it into the correct position.

Seeing as one of the priorities for this update is getting the canonical Gemini parts in game, I'll also be making sure the Agena parts get finished. In addition to changes to the existing Agena parts (diameter to 0.9375m, the fuel tanks are getting shortened, and the probe core is getting lengthened), we're getting an Agena Docking Port, and an Agena Antenna. Also slated for inclusion are the rear RCS module from the Augmented Target Docking Adapter, and a 1.25m > 0.9375m adapter part that fits the Atlas / Muo art style, rather than the Thor one. It will also include separation motors (which possibly will be included in the Thor one as well). Also of note, the Muo 1 / Atlas 1 parts are getting another texture pass. They received a small one the last update, but I'd like to make some bigger changes to the art style of the parts. As such the new adapter might not be included in this update, but space on the texture sheet will be reserved.

The roadmap has been updated to reflect various things mentioned above and below in this post. Also of note - @VenomousRequiem has decided that Dnepr is happening. Or something. However some technical difficulties have cropped up on her end recently. If they're not resolved it will likely be dropped, since my plate is already pretty full. ;) If it does proceed, it would be included in the 0.11 release and not the 0.1 release. @tygoo7 already has it planned but I figure it would give him more time for other cooler projects.

On the topic of the antennas, @Foxxonius Augustus would you be able to figure out the RT configs for them once they're done? There's, uh, going to be a lot of them.

If you can't tell, I've been starting to return to the various DKAP project things. While they are still near the back of the priorities list for this update, I've been trying to make progress on figuring out the 'architecture' that the parts would work off of. In particular, part of the issue is that the 1.875m station parts need a way to connect to each other. Stations made with the parts likely won't be monolithic, as the parts become available as the player is getting early 1.875m and mature 1.25m rockets. While the plan is to use Gemini/Agena docking parts to connect vessels, whose crew then EVAs over to the station, it doesn't work for the station modules themselves.

As such, I've been trying to design a new set of docking ports in 1.875m. This size is ideal because:

• It is the same diameter of the station parts
  • It's a size that isn't represented by any existing ports to my knowledge
  • It's too big to use on a normal vessel (remember it comes before the 1.25m docking port) but players can come up with solutions (rear facing docking port?)

I've been trying to invent my own docking mechanism and this is what I came up with. Essentially, it's a 1.875m ring with a 1.25m tunnel going through the middle. There are two gaskets, one along the outer wall of the crew tunnel, and one around the outside of the ring. Between the two are three pairs of probes/drogues, which are essentially giant bolts, with matching threads in the drogues. Mechanical guidance is achieved by a key/keyway system, similar to the one used on Gemini. Only one set is shown here but the finished one would likely have two or more. They may also have little bits of radar guidance hardware sticking out the sides. When the three probe/drogues are lined up, the three probes screw forward into the drogues which pulls the two together tightly, forming a double seal. The hatches on both sides are then removed and stored, or possibly even sent out with other trash / debris.

My question is... would this work? @curtquarquesso, @TimothyC, general audience etc. I am not exactly an engineer. :P The part in the image is just a fairly low poly concept at the moment.

11q7n9E.png

Anyways, that's part of what I've been working on. I'm going to stop posting and get back to work. :P

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Updates
– Giant Snip –
My question is... would this work? @curtquarquesso, @TimothyC, general audience etc. I am not exactly an engineer. :P The part in the image is just a fairly low poly concept at the moment.

11q7n9E.png
Anyways, that's part of what I've been working on. I'm going to stop posting and get back to work. :P

Hmm. I'm not familiar with the station parts these are supposed to work with. Have you shown them yet?

8 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Hmm. I'm not familiar with the station parts these are supposed to work with. Have you shown them yet?

Not very much. They're the expanded MOL parts I was working on back at the end of January. The idea is to give players the ability to build small stations and conduct science lab only experiments, giving them an alternative to, say, making a bunch of Minmus/Mun landers while getting science to make their first manned landings. Some of the experiments would require Kerbals to EVA to activate them, but all would require a connected part with a sciencelab module (this means the stock lab, as well as the Tantares Kvant, would also work with them). They are intended to be serviced by Gemini based hardware, either Spica or Malhena.

Si4bKgK.png

You can see there at the top is the station parts currently made. The MOS-LS (Manned Orbital Station - Laboratory Segment) is on the left, the MOS-HS (Habitat Segment) is on the right. In the middle is an airlock segment. It has two 1.875m nodes, three 1.25m nodes (there'd be flat adapters for connecting the ADPs) and an airlock/hatch on top. Between the MOL and the airlock is the docking ports from the previous post. The rack antenna is based on MOL concept art, and the RCS is based on the one on the real MOL. Below on the left is the beginnings of my interpretation of a Gemini lander, in the middle is the Malhena CSM (everything from the nose forward would be Beale's Spica parts btw) and on the right is a three way node with two 1.25m ports.

The station still needs several things, such as the new solar panels, and the experiment modules. There's probably some more stuff I'm missing as well. I'm just not 100% comfortable with assuming that such a design of docking port would work.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Not very much. They're the expanded MOL parts I was working on back at the end of January. The idea is to give players the ability to build small stations and conduct science lab only experiments, giving them an alternative to, say, making a bunch of Minmus/Mun landers while getting science to make their first manned landings. Some of the experiments would require Kerbals to EVA to activate them, but all would require a connected part with a sciencelab module (this means the stock lab, as well as the Tantares Kvant, would also work with them). They are intended to be serviced by Gemini based hardware, either Spica or Malhena.

Si4bKgK.png

You can see there at the top is the station parts currently made. The MOS-LS (Manned Orbital Station - Laboratory Segment) is on the left, the MOS-HS (Habitat Segment) is on the right. In the middle is an airlock segment. It has two 1.875m nodes, three 1.25m nodes (there'd be flat adapters for connecting the ADPs) and an airlock/hatch on top. Between the MOL and the airlock is the docking ports from the previous post. The rack antenna is based on MOL concept art, and the RCS is based on the one on the real MOL. Below on the left is the beginnings of my interpretation of a Gemini lander, in the middle is the Malhena CSM (everything from the nose forward would be Beale's Spica parts btw) and on the right is a three way node with two 1.25m ports.

The station still needs several things, such as the new solar panels, and the experiment modules. There's probably some more stuff I'm missing as well. I'm just not 100% comfortable with assuming that such a design of docking port would work.

Hmm. Neat stuff.

For the docking part, since it's not textured yet, it's difficult to make out what's what. Generally, it looks neat. I have a difficult time seeing the two clear mating faces that contact each other for a tight seal. I think what I'm seeing isn't to flat faces butting against each other, but a sliding together of two different diameter tubes for a seal, correct?

3 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Hmm. Neat stuff.

For the docking part, since it's not textured yet, it's difficult to make out what's what. Generally, it looks neat. I have a difficult time seeing the two clear mating faces that contact each other for a tight seal. I think what I'm seeing isn't to flat faces butting against each other, but a sliding together of two different diameter tubes for a seal, correct?

Maybe this will help:

wzt9nDb.png

The raised green rim on the left goes into the green slot on the right. The orange outer wall of the crew tunnel is a press fit / gasket with the inner wall of the right mechanism. And the three purple probes on the right screw into the drogues on the left (which don't have holes atm), which mates the two ports and forms the two seals.

Meanwhile, I've been experimenting with some new stuff for texturing, specifically in regards to leverage more layer effects. Here's the WIP Diamant A tank.

ZxMgWmU.png