[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Maybe this will help:

wzt9nDb.png

The raised green rim on the left goes into the green slot on the right. The orange outer wall of the crew tunnel is a press fit / gasket with the inner wall of the right mechanism. And the three purple probes on the right screw into the drogues on the left (which don't have holes atm), which mates the two ports and forms the two seals.

It is interesting, but from an engineering standpoint, I'm not totally sure. (or totally qualified...) There's a reason we use probes, drogues, and guide fins for docking, and use a manipulator for berthing. That indexing key at the top just doesn't look like it'd be enough assurance that all three screws would contact their opposing holes, and the gasket "sleeve" wouldn't misalign and bung up the edges of the sleeve edge.

Here's an excellent technical report on the actual gaskets that make systems like the CBM work: Linky-link.

I think you need a more convincing system for alignment, and definitely more screws. If you look at the CBM mating faces, and the Soyuz mating faces, every few centimeters, there's a set of hooks, or screws. It's done to keep nice even pressure all the way around the seal, rather than lots of pressure, depending on the strength of three screws holding. I think CBMs use 24 or something like that, and technically, at 1.875m, your port is a fair bit larger around than a CBM. The advantage to that is a lot less lateral (I think...) torque on your structure. The port is wider, so lateral force on it theoretically wouldn't have as much of a torque on it. (Again, not a certified structural engineer, just a student...)

Overall, I like the sleeve design. It's really interesting and new. Granted, it may not work in the real world, but it's fun, and interesting. 

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

On the topic of the antennas, @Foxxonius Augustus would you be able to figure out the RT configs for them once they're done? There's, uh, going to be a lot of them.

Honestly I am burning out on KSP and I still have to do hraban's new antenna but yeah, I can do it. It would be super helpful if I could get a list stating the real world antenna/spacecraft name and the in-game antenna name.

42 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Yes, as Cobalt mentioned, my laptop that I used to work no longer has a working HDD. So sorry I'm advance for my future absence. 

F

38 minutes ago, hoojiwana said:

Good way to save immense amounts of time and effort.

Yeah it's been fun. Out of curiosity, do you or any other modders you know use non-standard brushes? I was thinking of digging up some grunge brushes to add another pass or two.

34 minutes ago, hraban said:

Are there BDB also parts which optically does not originate from junkyard? ;)

No ;) I like the slightly grungy look. It gives the parts some detail and character. You'll notice (or maybe it's just me) that the Diamant tank managed to get the look without being quite so messy.

20 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

It is interesting, but from an engineering standpoint, I'm not totally sure. (or totally qualified...) There's a reason we use probes, drogues, and guide fins for docking, and use a manipulator for berthing. That indexing key at the top just doesn't look like it'd be enough assurance that all three screws would contact their opposing holes, and the gasket "sleeve" wouldn't misalign and bung up the edges of the sleeve edge.

Here's an excellent technical report on the actual gaskets that make systems like the CBM work: Linky-link.

I think you need a more convincing system for alignment, and definitely more screws. If you look at the CBM mating faces, and the Soyuz mating faces, every few centimeters, there's a set of hooks, or screws. It's done to keep nice even pressure all the way around the seal, rather than lots of pressure, depending on the strength of three screws holding. I think CBMs use 24 or something like that, and technically, at 1.875m, your port is a fair bit larger around than a CBM. The advantage to that is a lot less lateral (I think...) torque on your structure. The port is wider, so lateral force on it theoretically wouldn't have as much of a torque on it. (Again, not a certified structural engineer, just a student...)

Overall, I like the sleeve design. It's really interesting and new. Granted, it may not work in the real world, but it's fun, and interesting. 

Hmm I think that's a good idea. I'll keep messing with it, add more connectors. There are supposed to be multiple keys/slots to guide it in.

10 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Honestly I am burning out on KSP and I still have to do hraban's new antenna but yeah, I can do it. It would be super helpful if I could get a list stating the real world antenna/spacecraft name and the in-game antenna name.

No problem. They probably won't start to get done / in game for at least another week.

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah it's been fun. Out of curiosity, do you or any other modders you know use non-standard brushes? I was thinking of digging up some grunge brushes to add another pass or two.

I only use the Soft Round and Hard Round, changing the size, opacity, pressure for opacity (with my Bamboo tablet), airbrush and obviously colour. I use a lot of layers, many of them with varying layer effects (typically Inner/Outer Glows and Inner Shadows), and very frequently use layer masks. No idea about what other people do. I did try experimenting with some of the brush dynamics for some paint damage but the fiddling to get the right effect took more time than just using a normal brush carefully would've.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The roadmap has been updated to reflect various things mentioned above and below in this post. Also of note - @VenomousRequiem has decided that Dnepr is happening. Or something. However some technical difficulties have cropped up on her end recently. If they're not resolved it will likely be dropped, since my plate is already pretty full. ;) If it does proceed, it would be included in the 0.11 release and not the 0.1 release. @tygoo7 already has it planned but I figure it would give him more time for other cooler projects.

Alright that's cool, I've got some ideas of what I want to do instead of Dnepr ;). I look forward to seeing your Dnepr.

1 minute ago, tygoo7 said:

Alright that's cool, I've got some ideas of what I want to do instead of Dnepr ;). I look forward to seeing your Dnepr.

Well, considering:

2 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Yes, as Cobalt mentioned, my laptop that I used to work no longer has a working HDD. So sorry I'm advance for my future absence. 

Since it was Venom's project, and her laptop is kill, I don't think it's going to happen, at least until she is back.

I'm if you'd like to do this, but would you consider making papercraft files for this? I think it would be cool to have desktop models of the rockets at 1/40086th the cost of regular models. Of you search around I think you'll find the original post about ksp papercraft, with directions on how to make it.

1 minute ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I'm if you'd like to do this, but would you consider making papercraft files for this? I think it would be cool to have desktop models of the rockets at 1/40086th the cost of regular models. Of you search around I think you'll find the original post about ksp papercraft, with directions on how to make it.

If you could find it I'd be interested. That sounds cool!

Regarding docking ports: for the MOLE I settled upon the clamp-o-tron jr. My reference model for the kerbal will fit through the hatch as long as the helmet is left behind. Given my plausible deniability approach to physics in the interests of gamelay, that's good enough for me. :) Neat idea for the docking port though. Another ther approach would be to make the larger clamp-o-tron available earlier. Station Science did that, and made the "attach-o-tron" unable to transfer resources by disabling crossfeed.

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Regarding docking ports: for the MOLE I settled upon the clamp-o-tron jr. My reference model for the kerbal will fit through the hatch as long as the helmet is left behind. Given my plausible deniability approach to physics in the interests of gamelay, that's good enough for me. :) Neat idea for the docking port though. Another ther approach would be to make the larger clamp-o-tron available earlier. Station Science did that, and made the "attach-o-tron" unable to transfer resources by disabling crossfeed.

The only issue for that is IIRC there isn't even a 'hatch' to speak of on the clamp-o-tron jr.

I'm already far enough down the road of designing this port that I think I'll stick with it.

6 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

This is the link to it, its pretty cool. I'm trying to make some small and some larger stuff at the moment. I recommend using card stock, xacto knifes (multiple blades) and a quick setting glue.

That sounds like a lot of work and a trip to the art store that I can't afford :P Good luck though!

10 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Eh... What was the diameter of the real one? 0.9375m sounds so useless. 

It scales closer to 0.9375m when you take into account how Gemini is scaled. Blame KSP for having crappy sizes.

EDIT: It's actually supposed to be 0.95m.

Edited by CobaltWolf

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

#ProgressPics (rescaled Agena, Diamant)

A little color on the Diamant. I like - I feel like I'm in a B/W newsreel sometimes. Looks like the long Agena tank is shortened a bit, good. The two circles on the Agena core looks odd, or is that two stacked? I don't care what other people say, Agena rocks at 0.9375.

Playing around in Paint.net. It's kind of hard to tell from the screenshots but there's a light and medium shade fairing. I threw the checker pattern in on a lark and I really like it. Worm logo used without permission.

6 minutes ago, Jso said:

A little color on the Diamant. I like - I feel like I'm in a B/W newsreel sometimes. Looks like the long Agena tank is shortened a bit, good. The two circles on the Agena core looks odd, or is that two stacked? I don't care what other people say, Agena rocks at 0.9375.

Playing around in Paint.net. It's kind of hard to tell from the screenshots but there's a light and medium shade fairing. I threw the checker pattern in on a lark and I really like it. Worm logo used without permission.

I have been putting color in where it belongs :P

The Agena tanks all got shortened, the long one in particular. The core... yeah. I'll get on that.

EDIT: Pfft I hit the submit button before I was finished. @Jso, the fairing textures look good! Here's some of my tips.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, OTmikhail said:

I really liked Agena at 1.25m. Now it just seems like it might be a slightly better Able/Ablestar..... Guess I have to play with it first, but I liked it the way it was. In any case I love this mod and keep up the great work.

Don't worry, fam, TweakScale will always be here for you. 

Edited by VenomousRequiem

6 minutes ago, OTmikhail said:

I really liked Agena at 1.25m. Now it just seems like it might be a slightly better Able/Ablestar..... Guess I have to play with it first, but I liked it the way it was. In any case I love this mod and keep up the great work.

It's closer to the actual size, if not performance of the Agena. We'll worry about the first thing, and the second will come.

Part of the decision came from the fact that there are two new 1.25m upper stages in this update from Juno. That helped push me to make the change to Agena. The other factor was that it scales better with Gemini.