[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Since I've been putting more time into revamps / art adjustments, this is a general call for any parts that y'all feel look, well, bad. Or could use improvements. Any at all that you would like me to take a look at.

You asked....

1. The Brun-800. see #3.

2. Tank ends on structural adapters.

3. A fuzzy/out of focus look on the Brun-120, Brun-60, and to a lesser degree the SSR-200. It's probably smaller parts / higher zoom levels since the bigger stuff looks the same zoomed in too far, but Agena notably has a nice crisp look about it.

4. The pre Delta Thor series I can't really put my finger on why, but it could use some love. Might just be the above effect to a much lesser degree. EDIT: I see you're playing with the Thors now.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Oh, also, I am going to split the Redstone fuel tank in two, so that you can get Juno I, and then add on the tank extension to get Mercury-Redstone. Sort of a compromise since I've lost interest in finishing the Redstone rocket parts. It's a really cool, classic rocket, but I want to move on at this point. We might see it again later.

For some reason splitting that tank make me sad. Graphically I think Mercury-Redstone is the hands down best looking rocket in the early rockets series.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Changing some names so that everything has real names that aren't just acronyms. Will make it easier for Shutes to name the various craft files, as well as possibly simplifying some other things that are in the works.

• "SSR" (Thor parts) are now the "Fenris" series.
  • The Delta 2 engine is now "Darkah".
  • "RMA" (Agena) are now "Belle".
  • "BBR" (Diamant) are now "Rosuette".
  • "PGM" (Redstone) are now "Etoh".

Good! That SSR stuff always baffled me. Maybe use the SSR-XX prefix on all the parts on the structural tab to put them in some sort of sane order? I prefix "BDB" to all your parts to group them together, and even then I'm always hunting for what I need on that tab.

Edited by Jso

11 minutes ago, Jso said:

You asked....

1. The Brun-800. see #3.

2. Tank ends on structural adapters.

3. A fuzzy/out of focus look on the Brun-120, Brun-60, and to a lesser degree the SSR-200. It's probably smaller parts / higher zoom levels since the bigger stuff looks the same zoomed in too far, but Agena notably has a nice crisp look about it.

4. The pre Delta Thor series I can't really put my finger on why, but it could use some love. Might just be the above effect to a much lesser degree.

For some reason splitting that tank make me sad. Graphically I think Mercury-Redstone is the hands down best looking rocket in the early rockets series.

Good! That SSR stuff always baffled me. Maybe use the SSR-XX prefix on all the parts on the structural tab to put them in some sort of sane order? I prefix "BDB" to all your parts to group them together, and even then I'm always hunting for what I need on that tab.

1. Uh, see #3

2. I was already going to take care of that. :)

3. The difference is that Agena used a much higher size texture because at the time I was experimenting with how much of a difference it made. However there was also a certain fuzziness to my texturing back then that I need to remove.

4. It all needs another pass.

What? You can still make Mercury-Redstone exactly how it was. I'm just splitting the tanks. ;)

SSR stood for Special Snowflake Rocket, since at the time it was a big deal that I was adding 1.5m as a size.

EDIT: @Jso here's what I mean.

AvSAhuM.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: @Jso here's what I mean.

AvSAhuM.png

It's fine. I just like that really long 1.25 meter tank. One of those tools I never use but like to have :-)

While it's up, the curve/diagonal line on the tank always struck me as wrong looking. It should be two lines going 180 degrees around, not 4 lines going 90 degrees. It looks too much like the lines on the Thor tapered tank.

EDIT: And I'm suddenly envisioning that little checkered tank pulling upper stage duty, so yeah, good move.

Edited by Jso

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Changing some names so that everything has real names that aren't just acronyms. Will make it easier for Shutes to name the various craft files, as well as possibly simplifying some other things that are in the works.

• "SSR" (Thor parts) are now the "Fenris" series.
  • The Delta 2 engine is now "Darkah".
  • "RMA" (Agena) are now "Belle".
  • "BBR" (Diamant) are now "Rosuette".
  • "PGM" (Redstone) are now "Etoh".

I dig the names! They're always very pesky, although I like the feel of these. A word to go with a part does tend to help sort them out. I would argue slightly for the 'immersion' of the alphanumeric 'technobabble', but I can understand both sides. The numbering system used for your parts is mighty handy for getting an idea of the relative fuel capacities.

I .. feel a bit foolish at wondering after the Etoh name, though. It wasn't meaning anything to me, thus a quick google... DUH... It's the perfect name for a boozerocket. However, me and my chemistry degree are going to hide in the corner and pretend like that didn't just happen :P

My in game names always tend to come out somewhat pragmatically; my current series of satellites are named NextGen, as they're made up of a Ranger Core Bus, with a USI DERP module underneath (don't judge me... :P). The new (and prerenamed) Fenris-Darkah booster conspires to get them about 14k dV off the pad. Quite the improvement over the previous Etoh-(Able?) booster series. The Administration hopes that this will be enough to edge the probe into escape velocity, haha.

First of all, great mod!! I love having all of these US rockets, because Merica. :D I also have a request. Could you make a version of the textures that isn't as stockalike? For me the textures way way too cartoony, but I don't want them to look like real rockets too. Could you try to find a medium to it?

Jeez, woke up and had 20 something notifications. No names but some people saw fit to go through and like the majority of my posts in the last week ;)

7 hours ago, komodo said:

I dig the names! They're always very pesky, although I like the feel of these. A word to go with a part does tend to help sort them out. I would argue slightly for the 'immersion' of the alphanumeric 'technobabble', but I can understand both sides. The numbering system used for your parts is mighty handy for getting an idea of the relative fuel capacities.

I .. feel a bit foolish at wondering after the Etoh name, though. It wasn't meaning anything to me, thus a quick google... DUH... It's the perfect name for a boozerocket. However, me and my chemistry degree are going to hide in the corner and pretend like that didn't just happen :P

My in game names always tend to come out somewhat pragmatically; my current series of satellites are named NextGen, as they're made up of a Ranger Core Bus, with a USI DERP module underneath (don't judge me... :P). The new (and prerenamed) Fenris-Darkah booster conspires to get them about 14k dV off the pad. Quite the improvement over the previous Etoh-(Able?) booster series. The Administration hopes that this will be enough to edge the probe into escape velocity, haha.

I'm glad someone picked up on why I named it that. :D

@NotAgain is correct, the Able booster's name is Alpha. And then the next step up would be Alphastar.

7 hours ago, NotAgain said:

I seem to be having issues with the balance of the Muo I. I think that it's just that the CoM is too high, but every time I try to launch one, it flips once I've ditched the boosters. Help?

Atlas is a real PITA in KSP. Basically, it's not that your CoM is too high - it's too low. Partial solution is to disable the flow on all the tanks above the main one until you're about to run out of the main tank.

6 minutes ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

First of all, great mod!! I love having all of these US rockets, because Merica. :D I also have a request. Could you make a version of the textures that isn't as stockalike? For me the textures way way too cartoony, but I don't want them to look like real rockets too. Could you try to find a medium to it?

Sorry but probably not. :) I think you're asking for something of a style that nobody works in. My goal is to have things fit in with other stockalike parts. I would suggest something like @raidernick's parts but I suppose those look too realistic.

With that said I think some of the work I've done for textures over the last couple days has been leaning towards being a bit less cartoony. So we'll see.

16 minutes ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

Allright I'll just have to live with it I guess:wink:

You are essentially asking "Can you do hundreds of hours of unpaid work, just for this thing for me?" :wink: 

If you can get your hands on a copy of Gimp or Photoshop (Gimp is free!) there are some great tutorials on these very forums, you can dig around for many more online in general too.
It will be a fun and rewarding experience and you get the textures you want in the end.

Edited by Beale

59 minutes ago, Beale said:

You are essentially asking "Can you do hundreds of hours of unpaid work, just for this thing for me?" :wink: 

If you can get your hands on a copy of Gimp or Photoshop (Gimp is free!) there are some great tutorials on these very forums, you can dig around for many more online in general too.
It will be a fun and rewarding experience and you get the textures you want in the end.

57 minutes ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

True enough:D I understand modder stress too, especially since I tried to make a few mods. Oh well, time to pull up Gimp.

Haha I appreciate the support @Beale but I didn't read anything negative into it. If it was an almost daily request on the other hand... ;)

@MajorLeaugeRocketScience best of luck! PM me if you need any help, I can also give you the PSD (source files with layers) for anything you need.

8 hours ago, NotAgain said:

I seem to be having issues with the balance of the Muo I. I think that it's just that the CoM is too high, but every time I try to launch one, it flips once I've ditched the boosters. Help? 

YEAH.... That's a problem I think all Atlas flyers make. Do the turn ~19Km up. ;) 

When I launch Atlas, I tend to start the turn right off the pad, which is what real rockets do I believe. That way you are only 5-10 degrees off of 45 when you hit 10km. Continue to go horizontal until you are 10-15 degrees above 0. When you burn down to the tank butt (around 34 km), drop the boosters. If you are just an old railroader, but from your current perspective, you need more altitude, then pitch up to 45 degrees. If you are struggling to pitch up, you can reduce the thrust on a vernier to help even more.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Does anyone have any additional insight / suggestions for Atlas? It's less flip happy with Centaur if I remember.

With the Centaur it flies beautifully, however, with the Agena, Hermes, or default Mk1 (Moho), it's flip happy. I'd add a reaction wheel to the adapter fuel tank (1.875-1.25). 

@Sgt.Shutesie: I think I shall do that now.

I begin the gravity turn at 1.5km, keeping the angle of attack at no more than -5 degrees. Jettison the boosters at around 20km and let the sustainer take it the rest of the way. Past 25km, pitch over as you like for your desired orbit. I usually go for 100km. I never have a booster flip following this formula.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

1 hour ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Perhaps adding a reaction wheel to the big fuel tank, to make it stable-er-er.

9 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

With the Centaur it flies beautifully, however, with the Agena, Hermes, or default Mk1 (Moho), it's flip happy. I'd add a reaction wheel to the adapter fuel tank (1.875-1.25). 

@Sgt.Shutesie: I think I shall do that now.

I don't want to cheat. :P

What happens if you take out the fuel from the fairing adapter tank and reduce it's dry mass? Does that help?

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't want to cheat. :P

What happens if you take out the fuel from the fairing adapter tank and reduce it's dry mass? Does that help?

I've just opened up my game with reaction wheel. I'm too lazy :sticktongue:. Maybe you're right, that's what I do with my shuttle. (However, I install~1600 torque in my tanks)

PS: Cobalt: Are you ever going to put a computer core for the Centaur? 

5 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

I've just opened up my game with reaction wheel. I'm too lazy :sticktongue:. Maybe you're right, that's what I do with my shuttle. (However, I install~1600 torque in my tanks)

PS: Cobalt: Are you ever going to put a computer core for the Centaur? 

I don't think the Centaur needs a core? I don't think it ever flew with that sort of independent control. 

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't think it ever flew with that sort of independent control. 

Centaur_T_Drawing.gif

@CobaltWolf:I beg to differ.

Also, it had I believe attitude control thrusters (not shown in the diagram) to either re-ignite/orientate the spacecraft. 

Just modify the fairing ;) and add thrusters at the bottom of the stage

Edited by davidy12

2 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@CobaltWolf:I beg to differ.

Also, it had I believe attitude control thrusters (not shown in the diagram) to either re-ignite/orientate the spacecraft. 

Just modify the fairing ;) and add thrusters at the bottom of the stage

Find me sources and it will probably happen. Inon/Centaur is getting redone anyways. Probably going to two or three variants of the tankage - white painted for Atlas-Centaur and Atlas V, metal for Titan, orange for Atlas 2 / 3. Maybe. 

Though it might make @VenomousRequiem sad since she modeled the RL-10...