[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: To clarify: Some changes to the Thor and Brun parts. I need confirmation that I've actually figured out how texture sharing works.

You're specifically worried about the new structural ends? They look fine to me. I might steal that and use it on the procedural parts :-)

Just now, Jso said:

You're specifically worried about the new structural ends? They look fine to me. I might steal that and use it on the procedural parts :-)

It may have been taken from, ah, stock parts. I haven't developed my own yet. :P I wasn't sure if it was going to work.

The Thor engine, short tank, structural adapters all had their textures touched up. Ditto the Brun tanks.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The Thor engine, short tank, structural adapters all had their textures touched up. Ditto the Brun tanks.

The engine is outstanding. I think you're on the right track with the rest but the blacks still have that blurry quality.

1 minute ago, Jso said:

The engine is outstanding. I think you're on the right track with the rest but the blacks still have that blurry quality.

How so? On the edges, on the interiors? I will likely have an hour or two tomorrow to play around while I wait for renders, so I'll likely continue fixing up textures. It's fairly easy on my dying laptop.

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

How so? On the edges, on the interiors? I will likely have an hour or two tomorrow to play around while I wait for renders, so I'll likely continue fixing up textures. It's fairly easy on my dying laptop.

The grey lines on the engine look sharp to me, less so on the tank. The black patches on the engine are sharp, obviously blurry on the tank. I have to zoom way out to lose the effect.

QacABqN.png

4 minutes ago, Jso said:

The grey lines on the engine look sharp to me, less so on the tank. The black patches on the engine are sharp, obviously blurry on the tank. I have to zoom way out to lose the effect.

Ah, I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately both of those panel edges are one pixel on their respective textures. :\ The black patches can likely be sharpened a bit though.

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ah, I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately both of those panel edges are one pixel on their respective textures. :\ The black patches can likely be sharpened a bit though.

Is the texture getting stretched or something? I notice the redstone engine looks much sharper than it's tank as well.

The top node on the Fenris-860 adapter tank is a little low. Stick the Chryslus-9SA adapter on it and it becomes obvious. Do you have some mechanism to keep a list of nodes-to-be-fixed since you're probably not dropping everything to fix these as they come up.

8 hours ago, Jso said:

Is the texture getting stretched or something? I notice the redstone engine looks much sharper than it's tank as well.

The top node on the Fenris-860 adapter tank is a little low. Stick the Chryslus-9SA adapter on it and it becomes obvious. Do you have some mechanism to keep a list of nodes-to-be-fixed since you're probably not dropping everything to fix these as they come up.

Basically, I don't maintain a consistent texel density. I'll make a whole series of fuel tanks using a 512 texture, then (in the case of Redstone, Thor) use a single 512 texture for the engine. So there's not much I can do short of bumping the tanks up to a 1024, which would increase the overhead of the mod, which is already fairly big.

15 minutes ago, fs10inator said:

Hmm... I never thought you'd feel so obligated to keep pushing towards Saturn...

:P

So I'm somewhat planning on streaming tonight once I'm done with work. Not sure what time, it'd be after 6 EST. No super promises, it's just I already know I'm going to be working on KSP stuff tonight so I might as well give it a try. Something might come up.

EDIT: Also, I want to see what y'all can do using the new baby probes. Anyone playing with them, I want to see screenshots of the kind of missions you're planning on running with them.

Edited by CobaltWolf

I just noticed something.

In Deltas that had 9 Castor-2 strap-on solids, 6 ignited at liftoff, and the other three in the air, for example: Delta 900.
Even the Japanese N-II and H-I had this 6-3 staggered start sequence for their Castor-2s.
However, all 9 separate in unison.

I don't know why, though...

Edited by fs10inator

A few posts back there was a comment about the Atlas sustainer. It was ground-lit. The page that shows ignition off the sustainer is not indicating that the engine gets lit there. It's saying the stage ignition starts there. It's defining ignition as "when this stage takes over powering the rocket." Until then it was all three engines, and they call the extra two engines the booster stage. So three engines = "booster stage" and one engine = "sustainer stage" but the engines themselves were all hotIf the sustainer was not operating then the rocket would also be losing an extra ~260 kN of thrust at liftoff. (And you would be able to find a picture of an Atlas with its sustainer not lit while lifting off somewhere.)

24 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

the Atlas sustainer. It was ground-lit.

Thanks. It's not in dispute. I was watching the TV coverage of Atlas Agena 9 and the commentator was talking about the sustainer failing to ignite when they lost it. That's not what happened of course, but I had the idea in my head when I was reading that page. Sounded like something they would try.

38 minutes ago, fs10inator said:

I don't know why, though...

Why they hang on to 6 spent boosters? Assuming they do (I'm not sure), I would guess safety overrides the weight in that case.

6 minutes ago, Jso said:

Thanks. It's not in dispute. I was watching the TV coverage of Atlas Agena 9 and the commentator was talking about the sustainer failing to ignite when they lost it. That's not what happened of course, but I had the idea in my head when I was reading that page. Sounded like something they would try.

Why they hang on to 6 spent boosters? Assuming they do (I'm not sure), I would guess safety overrides the weight in that case.

What do you gain by igniting the sustainer later? More TWR at liftoff, and then you drop the boosters sooner.

2 minutes ago, Jso said:

Here's a frame from one of the last H-I launches.
H22F launch in 1990.
J91p7pD.png

First N-II launch.
N7F in 1981.
PPt3twG.png

Some of you remember that a few days back, @PDCWolf posted his work up for adoption. Specifically, he had made a mode that added some very nice separation boosters. I downloaded the source parts to take a look at them. To my dismay I noticed there were some strange errors with the meshes. Because they were made in a different program (3DS Max) it looks like it will be easier to just remake them. I had a ten minute break just now while something rendered, so I took the chance to play in Maya for a bit.

L to R: Retrotron Mk2 (single srb pointing up), Perfectron Mk2 (two smaller nozzles pointing down, for ullage or other separation) and Lateraltron Mk2 (two nozzles pointing straight sideways, to push radial boosters away from the core stage.

m3eZP0K.png

Oh, and because I forgot to post it yesterday, here is the touched up Redstone for those of you that haven't seen it.

MvmOYS7.png

EDIT: Slight issue with Diamant. In game I have it represented as 1.25m. However apparently in real life it was... 1.34m. So it's almost full scale in BDB which makes it ridiculously OP compared to an accurately scaled one. However, I am leaning towards keeping it as a 1.25m rocket with 0.625m upper stages, because those upper stages don't scale particularly well. Any serious objections? I don't really feel like including another 0.9375m lifter. I just wanted y'all to be aware.

Edited by CobaltWolf

AHH so many Dev builds! Stand by buddy, I've been making a video reviewing a lot of the new parts, Diamant, Juno, Sergeant, new Probes. Gonna plug in the dev build you linked yesterday and try to have that up for you by 5-6pm PST today.

3 minutes ago, OTmikhail said:

AHH so many Dev builds! Stand by buddy, I've been making a video reviewing a lot of the new parts, Diamant, Juno, Sergeant, new Probes. Gonna plug in the dev build you linked yesterday and try to have that up for you by 5-6pm PST today.

Oh, uh, ok! Cool!

1 minute ago, OTmikhail said:

I just know you've been itching for pics of your new probes especially, but instead of a ton of pics or a long post I figured I'd make you a video instead.

Ok sounds good! Like I said earlier today I'm going to try and stream tonight and see how that goes, so maybe I'll watch it on the stream or something haha.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Basically, I don't maintain a consistent texel density. I'll make a whole series of fuel tanks using a 512 texture, then (in the case of Redstone, Thor) use a single 512 texture for the engine. So there's not much I can do short of bumping the tanks up to a 1024, which would increase the overhead of the mod, which is already fairly big.

I'm not sure this will be worth your time to try, but one trick I sometimes use is to have polygon edges in the model that align to where the color transition is, and then separate the polygons in the UV map a little, so that two or three pixels worth of texture is unused right at the color transition. This way the line is super sharp on the model, but at a distance the mipmaps still do the right thing. This is really hard to pull off though when you have complex designs painted on, and/or are heavily reusing the texture in multiple places, etc. I only get to do it in certain places on my models. It's just something to consider.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

I'm not sure this will be worth your time to try, but one trick I sometimes use is to have polygon edges in the model that align to where the color transition is, and then separate the polygons in the UV map a little, so that two or three pixels worth of texture is unused right at the color transition. This way the line is super sharp on the model, but at a distance the mipmaps still do the right thing. This is really hard to pull off though when you have complex designs painted on, and/or are heavily reusing the texture in multiple places, etc. I only get to do it in certain places on my models. It's just something to consider.

Ooooh that is a good idea! I might try that.

EDIT: More renders, more time to play around...

7sxYx5u.png

Edited by CobaltWolf