[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

35 minutes ago, akron said:

I read this in Ian Malcolm's voice

:P

So right now it looks like I'm finishing work for the day (re: giving up) on schedule. Which means the stream will be starting on time, barring any unexpected developments on the part of my roommates. Stream will be on my Twitch starting at 6 PM EST, and will go for at least a couple hours, probably longer. I will likely be turning on the stream a bit earlier than that (preshow?), but won't be doing much besides tweaking textures on stuff. My plan is once a decent number of people show up, I'll switch over to testing / showing off some stuff in KSP, running a mission or two, and then I'll switch back to working and will figure out what gets done based on what people there feel like having me do. That won't necessarily be making progress on the remaining stuff for 0.10, instead it might be working on the Europa stuff for @Beale who just finished his Black Prince, or starting to model the next SEP update.

Someone or another on a pogo stick... That's a lot of tiny probes! Whelp! Time to go full Kessler! Imgur uploads may have to wait til the weekend, its already past my bedtime as it is!  Looking good, though!

15 minutes ago, akron said:

I haven't seen a lot of the new stuff because I haven't had a chance to play :(

Well we're almost done with the new stuff for the update. I think I have one more thing to model, then I need to unwrap... 12 things? I think. And texture them. And then a bunch of misc stuff. And then we'll be good-to-go.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well we're almost done with the new stuff for the update. I think I have one more thing to model, then I need to unwrap... 12 things? I think. And texture them. And then a bunch of misc stuff. And then we'll be good-to-go.

Sounds great. I will try and make time to do some test runs on my Windows install as opposed to my Career save in Linux

1 hour ago, akron said:

Sounds great. I will try and make time to do some test runs on my Windows install as opposed to my Career save in Linux

Sounds good.

Tonight I have a list of something like 18 things I want to do that may or may not be listed on the roadmap. Just things I want to take care of that I thought of in class. Just a lot of polishing work. Stuff like fixing the textures using the method @NecroBones told me (which works pretty cool), fixing some mesh issues, changing the textures (for some reason the Able tanks are, like, a grey?), and maybe get a bit more modeling done. Couple of questions:

• Bearing in mind that they're textured in 4x symmetry, would you like some stripes on the Able/Brun tanks? Either vertical or horizontal?
  • Bearing in mind that the Ablestar tank's mesh and texture are going to be edited (again), would you like an extended tank for the Delta upper stages? Specifically the Delta 1000 upper stage. I might be able to make it using some clever mesh edits.
  • While I'm on a big texture fixing kick, are there any other things you'd like to see me try and fix? I'm particularly looking at the Titan SRBs, and in particular their TVC tanks. I'll see what I can do.
  • Does anyone have any specific 'baby probes' they'd like to see? There is space for one, perhaps two more probe cores on the Juno Probes texture sheet. I don't particularly care who made the probes, this isn't limited to just early US probes. I more am looking for probes that would fit into the <0.625m size class, so it's easier to prune the baby probes for anyone that doesn't want them. So any other early probes from other countries, etc would be cool.
  • A lot of the parts have really badly done interstages. Using my newfound abilities of texture sharing, I'd like to create a common interstage texture that would be used for engines that don't have a particularly unique interstage. If anyone has any suggestions (read: reference images) for what a good + appealing 'generic' interstage would look like, I'm all ears. Or eyes, I suppose.

@Jso I am really happy with how the Vanguard tank looks now. That's the kind of detail + quality I'd like to try and hit for all the edits to the textures. Remember that I a) don't have much, if any room on these texture sheets to be adding new stuff. It would mostly have to be messing with the UVs to try and extract as much detail as possible.

Edited by CobaltWolf

A lot of the parts have really badly done interstages. Using my newfound abilities of texture sharing, I'd like to create a common interstage texture that would be used for engines that don't have a particularly unique interstage. If anyone has any suggestions (read: reference images) for what a good + appealing 'generic' interstage would look like, I'm all ears. Or eyes, I suppose.

The Titan black and white interstages look good on the wider than they are tall engines. That's everything with a tank butt I guess. I like the Able style plain white on the taller than they are wide, but it doesn't scale well. Look at the Buzzard and Vulture.

I am really happy with how the Vanguard tank looks now.

I can't wait to see it...

6 minutes ago, Jso said:

The Titan black and white interstages look good on the wider than they are tall engines. That's everything with a tank butt I guess. I like the Able style plain white on the taller than they are wide, but it doesn't scale well. Look at the Buzzard and Vulture.

I can't wait to see it...

I don't think the Buzzard and Vulture engines use the able fairing. Their shrouds are just that awful. The Inon would also use the generic shroud. The Titan parts need a good looking at. They're a little overdone re: the damage and smudges. The Titan textures on a whole are a little overdone when it comes to the grunge, especially the engines. I'll see what I can do.

Sorry, I had assumed you'd seen it for some reason. I might be able to get a little bit more out of it, but I really think I'm at the absolute limits of what I can do with the resolution I have.

rJL5AdI.png

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sorry, I had assumed you'd seen it for some reason. I might be able to get a little bit more out of it, but I really think I'm at the absolute limits of what I can do with the resolution I have.

I can see the difference immediately. Looks good.

The ULA parts pack developers have settled on 3.2m as the size for the Delta IV core / 5m DCSS / Vulcan / ACES, with 2.5 for Atlas V / 4m DCSS , and 1.875 for Delta II and Centaur. I think that the 3.2m size would work very well for LDC Titan / Barbarian.

Now I just need to convince you Cobalt to accept the off-scale factor and make Thor / Thorad / Delta 1.875m :D

4 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

The ULA parts pack developers have settled on 3.2m as the size for the Delta IV core / 5m DCSS / Vulcan / ACES, with 2.5 for Atlas V / 4m DCSS , and 1.875 for Delta II and Centaur. I think that the 3.2m size would work very well for LDC Titan / Barbarian.

Now I just need to convince you Cobalt to accept the off-scale factor and make Thor / Thorad / Delta 1.875m :D

Why would I ever make delta 1.875m? That's not even close lol. And he should have done 3.125m instead of 3.2m.

Anyways, I still have a week of hard work left to go but my compositing project is wrapping up nicely. I can't take sole credit, I've had a really awesome team (well, a team with two other good people on it) and overall it's been a fun, if challenging assignment. It's also been one of the biggest things keeping me away from BDB work lately. :P Here's a still from the shot that's most far along - I need extra feedback from my instructor on how to fit the robots in better.

ikKckz1.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Why would I ever make delta 1.875m? That's not even close lol. And he should have done 3.125m instead of 3.2m.

Because @fs10inator is doing his Japanese Deltas in 1.875? It also reduces the number of sizes. :D

Yes, I know it's not 100% accurate.

Edited by TimothyC

5 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

1.875m Delta II is preposterous! Hell, 1.5 is too big. Why 3.2?? That's such an off size. Cobalt is right, they should have gone with 3.125 at least.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Anyways, I still have a week of hard work left to go but my compositing project is wrapping up nicely. I can't take sole credit, I've had a really awesome team (well, a team with two other good people on it) and overall it's been a fun, if challenging assignment. It's also been one of the biggest things keeping me away from BDB work lately. :P Here's a still from the shot that's most far along - I need extra feedback from my instructor on how to fit the robots in better.

ikKckz1.png

You never stop! That looks amazing :) 

6 hours ago, TimothyC said:

Because @fs10inator is doing his Japanese Deltas in 1.875? It also reduces the number of sizes. :D

Yes, I know it's not 100% accurate.

Except the reason why I added 1.5m was that there wasn't enough sizes to represent the variation in the 1.25 - 2.5m launcher size class.

1 hour ago, Daishi said:

You never stop! That looks amazing :) 

Thank you! It really comes down to our colorist, he picked it up and ran with it and it has made the shots from 'eh' to amazing so quickly!

Unfortunately, I got roped into playing games with some friends back home (compensation as I'm not going home for break, and thus will likely spend it working on BDB) so nothing got done tonight. :( It's almost bed time so if we die in L4D2 one more time I think I'm just going to go to bed.

Completely unrelated note - I got my Lumia 435 today after my Galaxy SII died last week. It's not quite the same level of quality, but for $13 unlocked it's amazing.

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Completely unrelated note - I got my Lumia 435 today after my Galaxy SII died last week. It's not quite the same level of quality, but for $13 unlocked it's amazing.

..one of us... one of us...

Great choice - Windows phones are amazing. So fluid and elegant even on $13 hardware :D

Edited by Daishi

18 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Does anyone have any specific 'baby probes' they'd like to see? There is space for one, perhaps two more probe cores on the Juno Probes texture sheet. I don't particularly care who made the probes, this isn't limited to just early US probes. I more am looking for probes that would fit into the <0.625m size class, so it's easier to prune the baby probes for anyone that doesn't want them. So any other early probes from other countries, etc would be cool.

I have a solution! I suggested this a while ago, I think it was like the probe's 50th birthday.

12647497_547735028713598_57653448296053212573216_1066014336783581_28551680253960

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

• Does anyone have any specific 'baby probes' they'd like to see? There is space for one, perhaps two more probe cores on the Juno Probes texture sheet. I don't particularly care who made the probes, this isn't limited to just early US probes. I more am looking for probes that would fit into the <0.625m size class, so it's easier to prune the baby probes for anyone that doesn't want them. So any other early probes from other countries, etc would be cool.

Maybe Pollux

Pollux_D5-A.jpg

Launch with a Diamant B describes as a "tiny satellite" :P

Edited by DiscoSlelge

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:
  • Bearing in mind that they're textured in 4x symmetry, would you like some stripes on the Able/Brun tanks? Either vertical or horizontal?
  • Bearing in mind that the Ablestar tank's mesh and texture are going to be edited (again), would you like an extended tank for the Delta upper stages? Specifically the Delta 1000 upper stage. I might be able to make it using some clever mesh edits.
  • While I'm on a big texture fixing kick, are there any other things you'd like to see me try and fix? I'm particularly looking at the Titan SRBs, and in particular their TVC tanks. I'll see what I can do.
  • A lot of the parts have really badly done interstages. Using my newfound abilities of texture sharing, I'd like to create a common interstage texture that would be used for engines that don't have a particularly unique interstage. If anyone has any suggestions (read: reference images) for what a good + appealing 'generic' interstage would look like, I'm all ears. Or eyes, I suppose.

1. No stripes on Able tanks, I like them just the way they are.

2.Something I would really like to see for Ablestar tanks is a new payload fairing for the top that widens out to 1.25m (like the Able payload fairing that extends out to 0.938m), and maybe even an engine fairing at the bottom so we could swap out the engine for any 1.25m engine (like your Juno upper stage engines), plus IRL it seems to widen at the bottom anyway, not quite to the same size as the top of the Thor tank, but it is there. They seemed to have AbleStar's that widened at the top and bottom from Delta E onwards until they started using the Delta-K upper stage.

3. As for Probes I would like to see more Russian probes. My career game has tons of Explorers, Discovery's, Telestar's, Pioneers, Mariners, but only a handful of Sputnik's. As for what probes i have no idea. Something i really like about your new probes is they have integrated science experiments not all your probes have the same experiments. For simple spacecraft having all these different variations gives them a purpose and use. But honestly any more than 2-3 probes and I would probably just end up using my favorites while others collect dust.

4. Interstages, I have no idea on textures, but I was wondering if an idea I had was possible: On your new 1.25m engines for Juno (especially upper stages) is it possible to "tweak" the interstage fairing so that it could be either 1.25m OR 0.938m? It would be sweet to use them on Ablestar, Agena, any small tank without having to tweakscale the engine down to that size. If not possible then ignore this, but if it is possible.......:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I think Cobalt is doing mostly US based probes, because there is already a stock alike Russian mod, Tantares, but no other stock alike US mod.

I actually already have Sputnik 3 modeled. :P And I'd love to do Luna 3, perhaps a few others. It's more that I am looking for small probes to finish the texture sheet, so they're easier to prune.

@blacsky33 I'm not sure why that would happen. Perhaps try reinstalling? It's strange though - if it was missing the texture it would be bright white, wouldn't it?

@Sgt.Shutesie Again, too big. Interesting solar panels though... I totally want to look into those.

@DiscoSlelge maybe.