[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

A little update on the situation:

Please download this and test it. I've gone through and overhauled almost every single RP config in the mod. @CobaltWolf This is the least broken  set of configs I've ever produced, so please see to it that they end up in your dev install, and eventually the final release. @davidy12, again you're the one who points out RP flaws more than anyone else, so enjoy. :)

Obviously they go in Bluedog_DB/compatibility, but please for the love of God delete the RealPlumes folder before dragging this new one in.

And uh... let's not talk about the Juno 45K engine's vernier plumes... It's a work in progress and I know they're broken.

I've got this recurring issue (and it may not be BDB's fault) where parts will have no textures loaded. This affects the cameras 4/5 times and it happens about every two game loads or so. The other times it will be a random science experiment, like the IR or the Mass Spec. I though someone else had this issue some pages back, is this a know problem?

The only other issue I have noticed is the 2-man capsule flings my Kerbals around from the ladder.

2 minutes ago, akron said:

I've got this recurring issue (and it may not be BDB's fault) where parts will have no textures loaded. This affects the cameras 4/5 times and it happens about every two game loads or so. The other times it will be a random science experiment, like the IR or the Mass Spec. I though someone else had this issue some pages back, is this a know problem?

The only other issue I have noticed is the 2-man capsule flings my Kerbals around from the ladder.

It's in the dev releases, sometimes TGAs fail to load. I only compress at the end, otherwise I'd have to constantly be deleting DDS textures and recompressing TGAs.

I am going to be comprehensively fixing and expanding the Malhena and Hermes next update.

4 minutes ago, akron said:

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

It's in the dev releases, sometimes TGAs fail to load. I only compress at the end, otherwise I'd have to constantly be deleting DDS textures and recompressing TGAs.

I am going to be comprehensively fixing and expanding the Malhena and Hermes next update.

TGAs fail to load whenever the memory usage is too high. I've had that problem since I bought the game a few years ago. :P

I've since fixed it with uh... Linux. 

My quest to create a real Santa... I mean Eve probe out of an ICBM fairing have failed. Mostly because re-entry velocity is the death of me, stock fairings don't really protect the contents inside from heat, the slowing thrusters are considered "stowed" and this is my first real attempt at a lander.

53 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

My quest to create a real Santa... I mean Eve probe out of an ICBM fairing have failed. Mostly because re-entry velocity is the death of me, stock fairings don't really protect the contents inside from heat, the slowing thrusters are considered "stowed" and this is my first real attempt at a lander.

As in landing on Eve? Are you playing with stock scale?

23 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I was trying to land on Eve and is stock scale.

Want some tips? 

Especially if playing HSS x2 or x3, NEVER aerocapture with Eve. :P

A reasonable heatshield would do nice but a small parachute is all you need once you get into the atmosphere, which I guess is the problem, no? Just don't try and aerocapture and use a bigger heatshield than you actually need. :)

2 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Want some tips? 

Especially if playing HSS x2 or x3, NEVER aerocapture with Eve. :P

A reasonable heatshield would do nice but a small parachute is all you need once you get into the atmosphere, which I guess is the problem, no? Just don't try and aerocapture and use a bigger heatshield than you actually need. :)

What I was doing was more of an experiment, seeing if using a Titan II ICBM was a good strategy for dropping payloads into atmospheric planets. Perhaps I'll try Duna next time.

Texture sharing might be a little borked. Numerous errors in the log along these lines:

[LOG 20:32:20.243] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Bluedog_DB/Parts/Antennas/BluedogMariner2Omni/bluedog_mariner2omni'
[ERR 20:32:20.246] PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture as texture replacement string is invalid. Syntax is 'origTextureName newTextureURL'

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Jso I'll look into it.

Does anybody think they could dig up some reference on how payloads are typically mated to kick SRBs? I have not figured out how I want these adapters to look.

Make like a 0.625m-0.3m adapter/decoupler or something. That way it'll make well with 0.625m payloads. 

48 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Make like a 0.625m-0.3m adapter/decoupler or something. That way it'll make well with 0.625m payloads. 

Sorry, to clarify I meant the STAR37 and STAR48. I have the attachment down decently for everything else.

EDIT: Oh, also, should I merge the heatshields into their respective pods, like how Tantares works?

Edited by CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sorry, to clarify I meant the STAR37 and STAR48. I have the attachment down decently for everything else.

EDIT: Oh, also, should I merge the heatshields into their respective pods, like how Tantares works?

Yeah, merge heatshields. Also maybe redo the Hermes, it looks out of place, but that's only if/when you want to.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Nooo, don't merge the heatshields! It adds so much more ability to use the parts in other things. 

7 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Nooo, don't merge the heatshields! It adds so much more ability to use the parts in other things. 

Yes, this. It saves some sanity if one is adjusting their heating model, as well.

Hermes is "out of place", due to its external origin, although I disagree with this description, as it blends very well with Etoh and Muo, as well as the new members of the family. 

Personally, as pods scale up, I typically stick a tweak scaled 1.25 m service bay between the pod and heatshield for stuff and things. (Although with USI.LS of late, the "stuff" doesn't go very far :( I wish they had standalone recyclers... Ah, I digress.)

When pinching spesos, every bit of recovery helps. Especially dem science dealios, for sure.