[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

20 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

If you ever finish them let me know, I could throw them into the compatibility folder.

Pros being that you can't turn an orbiter into a lander just because you packed spare deltaV. Cons being that I'd have to make twice as many models and textures for science parts.

@Bit Fiddler you should check out Akron's Probes Plus mod if you like BDB.

Query/thought: instead of needing to model entirely separate parts and textures, is there any way for stock (1.1?...) or DMSA to do a dependency check, more or less? That is, have the mass spec as it is, but perhaps helper parts to be shared across a few instruments to do it in a kinda abstract/handwavy way: "The manual for the mass spec says it comes with the atmospheric package out of the box, but the vacuum and solids packages are sold separately.", and have some sciency looking widget to be attached to the craft (as a separate part) to represent the vacuum ion trap/surface scoop/whatever. You could still make a lander out of an orbiter, at the cost of an extra part, but that may be a reasonable trade off.

What other experiments would have such variants in flight/space/landed? I'm having a brain fart. 

55 minutes ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Many thanks @CobaltWolf

;) 

12 minutes ago, komodo said:

Query/thought: instead of needing to model entirely separate parts and textures, is there any way for stock (1.1?...) or DMSA to do a dependency check, more or less? That is, have the mass spec as it is, but perhaps helper parts to be shared across a few instruments to do it in a kinda abstract/handwavy way: "The manual for the mass spec says it comes with the atmospheric package out of the box, but the vacuum and solids packages are sold separately.", and have some sciency looking widget to be attached to the craft (as a separate part) to represent the vacuum ion trap/surface scoop/whatever. You could still make a lander out of an orbiter, at the cost of an extra part, but that may be a reasonable trade off.

What other experiments would have such variants in flight/space/landed? I'm having a brain fart. 

DMSA actually does support doing dependency checks! That is an interesting idea actually. I like it a lot. Though I think I would do it another way, in the case of the mass spec. For testing soil samples, etc, it would be run from the scooper and that would have a dependency on the mass spec. Currently, I don't think there is a way to trigger animations on parts other than the one performing the experiment.

I'm not sure, I was thinking that it would just be handwaved for whatever experiments we wanted to have separate versions.

I have a number of cool / unique experiment ideas for Gemini that would be different than the usual 'click to make it do science' stuff. Things like having an advanced micrometeorite experiment (and exposure surface, rather than just a counter) that would be launched on an unmanned probe but have to be recovered by hand. Stuff like that. :) 

If anyone is familiar with the experiments done on Gemini (and mercury, for that matter) please let me know if there are any interesting ones I can do!

22 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh, thank you! Does KIS work with any of the BDB parts..? I never configured anything for it. 

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think Surveyor got moved to Coatl Aerospace. I've been offloading probe stuff onto @akron since I figure most people really just want me to get to Apollo at this point.

The chute is a separate part. @Beale is making an IVA for the capsule (do you know that it is his part..?). Retropack, well, idk. Kind of unnecessary in KSP. However I think the smaller Blue Gemini service module he was planning would work well with the small retros.

Also, belated thank you to @politas! BDB is now CKAN indexed! It only took 7 months.

I use KIS/KAS all the time and I think BDB works, but broke some features. I have packed and manhandled BDB parts with my Kerbal Engineers, but ever since I started using BDB I can no longer stack parts in KIS Inventories. Especially small parts like RCS thrusters or static solar panels can't be stacked anymore. I figured it was a KIS problem, but would using BDB parts without a config do this? I should ask on the KIS forum, but doesn't TRAILS have KIS inventory? His old Gemini did. It would be nice to see some more functionality in BDB for KIS. Maybe an advanced Agena with a KIS container for early game restocking/orbital construction? Which brings me to my next point...

Re: Apollo. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the Apollo stuff you will do, this might be the only mod where we have ALL the Apollo Applications Program stuff and different rocket combinations. But I am totally ok waiting, until next year even, until we get your awesome MOL and Gemini Lander first. I'm super excited about that MOL station. I want to have a crazy advanced MOL/Skylab program to rival the early Salyut/Almaz stuff I do with Tantares parts. Please Please Please finish that stuff before moving to Apollo.

EDIT: Will your new dev update work with 1.0.5 still? I'm not gonna do the Steam Pre release and I'm waiting for less buggy version. Besides I don't want to begin a new career without my favorite mods so I'm gonna be on 1.0.5 for a while longer yet. Thanks.

Edited by OTmikhail

5 minutes ago, OTmikhail said:

I use KIS/KAS all the time and I think BDB works, but broke some features. I have packed and manhandled BDB parts with my Kerbal Engineers, but ever since I started using BDB I can no longer stack parts in KIS Inventories. Especially small parts like RCS thrusters or static solar panels can't be stacked anymore. I figured it was a KIS problem, but would using BDB parts without a config do this? I should ask on the KIS forum, but doesn't TRAILS have KIS inventory? His old Gemini did. It would be nice to see some more functionality in BDB for KIS. Maybe an advanced Agena with a KIS container for early game restocking/orbital construction? Which brings me to my next point...

I don't think that would break KIS. It would just make BDB parts not have inventory or be able to be picked up. TRAILS probably doesn't have KIS inventory yet since it's beta, not sure if there are any compatibility patches for it yet. I was actually talking to Venomous the other day about sticking a Gemini docking adapter on Agena to make a resupply vessel. 

5 minutes ago, OTmikhail said:

Re: Apollo. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the Apollo stuff you will do, this might be the only mod where we have ALL the Apollo Applications Program stuff and different rocket combinations. But I am totally ok waiting, until next year even, until we get your awesome MOL and Gemini Lander first. I'm super excited about that MOL station. I want to have a crazy advanced MOL/Skylab program to rival the early Salyut/Almaz stuff I do with Tantares parts. Please Please Please finish that stuff before moving to Apollo.

They'll definitely get done before I move to Apollo. Things have just been crazy lately, and most nights when I get home I'm dead tired and the thought of UV unwrapping stuff (which is what needs to get done for the next intermediate release) makes my head spin. Hopefully once I settle into a more regular schedule for the rest of my 6 month internship, things will pick up a bit of speed again.

EDIT: Do those quotes show up strange for anyone else? My work computer does weird things to the quote blocks.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Holy Toledo! What a veritable smorgasbord of parts complete with new scientific parts and realistic stockalike probe cores. I cannot wait to see more from this epic mod. Just curious but are you thinking about adding gold foil probe cores? If so then consider me a passenger aboard the hype train.  

24 minutes ago, Jeb1969 said:

Holy Toledo! What a veritable smorgasbord of parts complete with new scientific parts and realistic stockalike probe cores. I cannot wait to see more from this epic mod. Just curious but are you thinking about adding gold foil probe cores? If so then consider me a passenger aboard the hype train.  

You should check out:

oQNDfcv.png

47 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't think that would break KIS. It would just make BDB parts not have inventory or be able to be picked up. TRAILS probably doesn't have KIS inventory yet since it's beta, not sure if there are any compatibility patches for it yet. I was actually talking to Venomous the other day about sticking a Gemini docking adapter on Agena to make a resupply vessel. 

They'll definitely get done before I move to Apollo. Things have just been crazy lately, and most nights when I get home I'm dead tired and the thought of UV unwrapping stuff (which is what needs to get done for the next intermediate release) makes my head spin. Hopefully once I settle into a more regular schedule for the rest of my 6 month internship, things will pick up a bit of speed again.

EDIT: Do those quotes show up strange for anyone else? My work computer does weird things to the quote blocks.

Awesome. Glad to hear. Yeah I think Agena would make a great early resupply craft. Hopefully things do settle into a normal schedule for you. and yes quotes look weird for you.

@OTmikhail ok well I won't quote... but, yeah. Near the end of the Gemini / MOL dev cycle, once the majority of the station parts are done and I can test stuff, I'll start taking a look at what else I can add. There will probably be some special parts to turn Agena into a resupply craft. Maybe some sort of flexrack type thing on the sides of the fuel tank, and just enclose it in a shroud...

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

@OTmikhail ok well I won't quote... but, yeah. Near the end of the Gemini / MOL dev cycle, once the majority of the station parts are done and I can test stuff, I'll start taking a look at what else I can add. There will probably be some special parts to turn Agena into a resupply craft. Maybe some sort of flexrack type thing on the sides of the fuel tank, and just enclose it in a shroud...

That would be cool! I was thinking just another part like an agena probe core that's just a KIS container and nothing else. On a side note new dev build broke my career :(. I guess antenna's have been tweaked a bit...

Just now, OTmikhail said:

That would be cool! I was thinking just another part like an agena probe core that's just a KIS container and nothing else. On a side note new dev build broke my career :(. I guess antenna's have been tweaked a bit...

I, uh, oops. I forgot to say that. Sorry. :( The antennas were the last thing that didn't conform to the now-standard naming convention.

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think Surveyor got moved to Coatl Aerospace. I've been offloading probe stuff onto @akron since I figure most people really just want me to get to Apollo at this point.

Dang I was really looking forward to seeing your version of Surveyor.:( I hope you don't get rid all the probe stuff just to get to Apollo sooner. :P

47 minutes ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Dang I was really looking forward to seeing your version of Surveyor.:( I hope you don't get rid all the probe stuff just to get to Apollo sooner. :P

*shrug* I'm sure @akron will do a good job with it. Many hands make light work, etc. I'm significantly behind where I'd hoped to be by now, so I'm trying to cut away things that I can pass to other modders. Anyways, here's what I accomplished tonight:

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

*shrug* I'm sure @akron will do a good job with it. Many hands make light work, etc. I'm significantly behind where I'd hoped to be by now, so I'm trying to cut away things that I can pass to other modders. Anyways, here's what I accomplished tonight:

Don't you need to do surveyor since Apollo actually picked up the film from it? *Nudge Nudge*

7 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Don't you need to do surveyor since Apollo actually picked up the film from it? *Nudge Nudge*

@akron'd better get around to it in time then! It's not as if he doesn't have six months or so of warning...

Edit: Also I badly burned my left hand putting out a grease fire in the kitchen earlier, so that's it for me for tonight. I was hoping to get more done. :/

edit2: Honestly at this point I just try and tag akron in every single post I make just to watch him jump :P

Edited by CobaltWolf

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@akron'd better get around to it in time then! It's not as if he doesn't have six months or so of warning...

Edit: Also I badly burned my left hand putting out a grease fire in the kitchen earlier, so that's it for me for tonight. I was hoping to get more done. :/

edit2: Honestly at this point I just try and tag akron in every single post I make just to watch him jump :P

@akron

I don't know if someone has the same problem with the Muo rocket, when I staged the fairing booster plate my game crash and I don't know why but it is always when I stage this part, I noticed this issue some weeks ago even before the 1.1 pre release or your Muo revamp @CobaltWolf ... I'm lost :/

Edited by DiscoSlelge

3 hours ago, akron said:

Oh, you guys... I had a surveyor antenna and solar panels in my to-do list. Do I need to be looking at other parts as well? Probe core?

I think we're going to need everything. Legs, core, sampler and all.

PS: @CobaltWolf: Are you and Akron ever going to join your packs together?

4 hours ago, akron said:

Oh, you guys... I had a surveyor antenna and solar panels in my to-do list. Do I need to be looking at other parts as well? Probe core?

Uhhhh, off the top of my head, the frame could have the probe core built into it, and that would be a cool / unique part. Also the legs, the landing verniers (dunno how you'd fuel them, possibly another separate part) and some of the instruments.

1 hour ago, DiscoSlelge said:

I don't know if someone has the same problem with the Muo rocket, when I staged the fairing booster plate my game crash and I don't know why but it is always when I stage this part, I noticed this issue some weeks ago even before the 1.1 pre release or your Muo revamp @CobaltWolf ... I'm lost :/

I noticed that when I was taking the screenshots last night! I think I messed it up last time I exported it from Unity, and hadn't used it much since. I went in and fixed it (read: Made the colliders resemble the actual mesh even less) and now it works better.

22 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

PS: @CobaltWolf: Are you and Akron ever going to join your packs together?

8 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Why would that even be an option? It's the same as asking if @Beale and let's say @Kickasskyle will join their mods together. They don't really match.

Yeah, no. Like @VenomousRequiem said, there's no real point. At the end of the day, while collaboration can be fun, I think most mod authors prefer a high level of autonomy. It's a pretty personal thing and it's easier to not have someone else you have to creatively answer to. That's not to say me and @akron won't work together on stuff in the future, we have talked about it before.

5 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I see how it is. :P

:P

So, the Agena's second texture sheet has a bit of space left. If nobody objects, I'm probably going to use it for the ADTA's RCS module, which would double as an adapter to 0.625m, and likely also have a shroud for launching in a canonical configuration.

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, no. Like @VenomousRequiem said, there's no real point. At the end of the day, while collaboration can be fun, I think most mod authors prefer a high level of autonomy. It's a pretty personal thing and it's easier to not have someone else you have to creatively answer to. That's not to say me and @akron won't work together on stuff in the future, we have talked about it before.

Id say ditto. Our mods should pretty complimentary though, without redundant parts, but we have slightly different art styles for example. Best kept separate. 

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

If nobody objects

Other than @VenomousRequiem, do any of us ever really object? :P

Edit: on the subject of Surveyor,  it makes more sense for me to have it on my landers mod rather than ProbesPlus. I don't know...

Edited by akron

17 minutes ago, akron said:

Id say ditto. Our mods should pretty complimentary though, without redundant parts, but we have slightly different art styles for example. Best kept separate. 

Other than @VenomousRequiem, do any of us ever really object? :P

Edit: on the subject of Surveyor,  it makes more sense for me to have it on my landers mod rather than ProbesPlus. I don't know...

Yeah it was kind of a weird request. Though I can understand where it came from :P

Idk, I usually am just fishing for cool ideas that I can use to sneakily delay Saturn more...

re: Surveyor, true. But I think you have plenty of time to get around to it. *shrug*