[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

30 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Need a small satellite? How about a Fenris Able? Want to get a rover to Duna? How about a Muo V with 5 SRBs or a Prometheus IV.

time to rattle some cages:

Need a geostationary satellite? how about an SRB-X?

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I can't see it in the thread (I've also been out of the loop KSP-wise for a few weeks).

Since upgrading to 1.1 and updating BDB, my trusty Atlas-Agena (now updated with the new BDB parts) now flips like it's never done before at around 5KM. Has anyone else had similar problems, or have I messed up the build with the updated parts?

Craft File

11 minutes ago, BMot360 said:

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I can't see it in the thread (I've also been out of the loop KSP-wise for a few weeks).

Since upgrading to 1.1 and updating BDB, my trusty Atlas-Agena (now updated with the new BDB parts) now flips like it's never done before at around 5KM. Has anyone else had similar problems, or have I messed up the build with the updated parts?

Craft File

Try out my set of craft files (listed on first page) and see if you get the same result. Atlas Agenas are Muo IB-ID I think.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Very generally speaking, parts got nerfed. Not going to beat around the bush. A lot of compromises are getting made to make sure that the BDB parts don't massively outstrip the performance of stock parts. Atlas II is not officially buildable in the mod right now.

Hopefully the net effect is no huge change, other than a few rockets that were way OP like Titan 1. Solids have a formula now rather than Cobalt's usually pretty good guesses. Boosters got generally heavier, longer burning and higher thrust. Kick motors were all over the place. Isps on LFO engines were corrected in the one's that still have major deviations from reality. Thrusts and masses were adjusted in first stage engines to compensate for all of the above, give a realistic twr in the heaviest possible configuration, and balance them relative to each other. Delta II, Atlas, and Titan IV are if anything, buffed. Atlas V's main engine got a big nerf at the last minute.

As promised I made a miscalculation. If figured the atlas sustainer's SL thrust using the booster's Isp. For now I'm going to leave it, Atlas II/Centaur is an extreme configuration for these engines. Just build it with the Centaur using only the 1100 tank full of fuel and it's fine. I made orbit with 3.3 tons payload and 1500 dv left.

The new tags are great. Makes finding things a lot easier.

QyxeoIO.png

On 4/27/2016 at 1:30 AM, RA3236 said:

Well, I am getting around to installing this, although is this mod compatible with Antenna Range? Thanks.

On 4/27/2016 at 9:20 AM, CobaltWolf said:

No, I don't have Antenna Range configs. If you wanted to write them I'd appreciate it. :) 

Well you just solved my issue of which mode to move onto next.  I just finished up my latest set of AR configs and was going to go to Contares but Tantalus has begun it himself and I'll not be working those until later.  I'll get these pulled together and sent over to you.  I was going to be doing BDB anyway so you just jumped to the front of the line. :D

7 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

Well you just solved my issue of which mode to move onto next.  I just finished up my latest set of AR configs and was going to go to Contares but Tantalus has begun it himself and I'll not be working those until later.  I'll get these pulled together and sent over to you.  I was going to be doing BDB anyway so you just jumped to the front of the line. :D

Awesome! I'm still doing last minute housekeeping for the next release, so if you get them done in the next day or two I can pack them into the next release. Things that would need AntennaRange configs would be in the Antennas (obviously), Explorer (tiny probes with built in ones) and Agena (just one) folders.

EDIT: Also, another stream tonight. I feel like fixing the Atlas V. It occurred to me that it would greatly benefit from specular maps, and while I'm at it I'll take care of the proportions stuff and adjust the textures themselves. After thaaaat... uh. Idk. Starting in like 30 minutes.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Awesome! I'm still doing last minute housekeeping for the next release, so if you get them done in the next day or two I can pack them into the next release. Things that would need AntennaRange configs would be in the Antennas (obviously), Explorer (tiny probes with built in ones) and Agena (just one) folders.

I should easily be able to get them done in a day or two.  Biggest issue in setting these up is getting the balancing act done across the various antennas and try to prevent overlap where possible while retaining plausible realism for the antennas themselves.  I'll be sure to cover the probe cores too.  Thanks for mentioning that because I did not see the ModuleDataTransmitter on my initial quick pass through the files outside the antennas directory.

40 minutes ago, BMot360 said:

Craft File

I don't have time to look at you craft file right now, but check your thrust. Atlas uses one set of engines for the entire family and you need to dial it back for the earlier rockets.

Ok before I bail for the evening to have dinner and Stanley Cup playoffs wanted to double check these to make sure I didn't miss any nested somewhere else...

The Antennas directory obviously but also:

Spoiler

bluedog_agenaAntenna

bluedog_Diamant_Asterix

bluedog_Explorer1

bluedog_Pioneer1

bluedog_Pioneer4

Any others that I missed somewhere? 

21 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

Ok before I bail for the evening to have dinner and Stanley Cup playoffs wanted to double check these to make sure I didn't miss any nested somewhere else...

The Antennas directory obviously but also:

Any others that I missed somewhere? 

I can't think of any more. Anybody?

EDIT: Looking at the RemoteTech configs is prolly your best bet to find any that I might have missed. I don't believe there are more.

EDIT2: Stream has started.

Edited by CobaltWolf

55 minutes ago, Jso said:

Hopefully the net effect is no huge change, other than a few rockets that were way OP like Titan 1. Solids have a formula now rather than Cobalt's usually pretty good guesses. Boosters got generally heavier, longer burning and higher thrust. Kick motors were all over the place. Isps on LFO engines were corrected in the one's that still have major deviations from reality. Thrusts and masses were adjusted in first stage engines to compensate for all of the above, give a realistic twr in the heaviest possible configuration, and balance them relative to each other. Delta II, Atlas, and Titan IV are if anything, buffed. Atlas V's main engine got a big nerf at the last minute.

As promised I made a miscalculation. If figured the atlas sustainer's SL thrust using the booster's Isp. For now I'm going to leave it, Atlas II/Centaur is an extreme configuration for these engines. Just build it with the Centaur using only the 1100 tank full of fuel and it's fine. I made orbit with 3.3 tons payload and 1500 dv left.

The new tags are great. Makes finding things a lot easier.

QyxeoIO.png

I would love the craft file, please. I think I've been overshooting a bit, thinking that I should try to get 4550 kg to space instead, resorting to Sapphire boosters to accomplish it. One question though, can it be flown manually? You have the skillful eye of mechjeb there, and I was wondering if there are any instabilities or peculiarities to this rocket.

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

If anyone is interested in the 'final' set of balance changes being made to the engines for this update, you can see them in the Github merge from @Jso. Link is here. Let me know if you have any feedback at a glance.

On mobile, so excuse possible wacky formatting... On the titan_3seg_srb, is the fuel load out sane? It has wayyyyyy less than the two segment above it. 

But yeah, mobile github as well... So... It could be that too :D 

otherwise, looking good thus far. That poor Srb rebalance patch though...

(hoping to get some play in tonight, *finally*...)

Greetings, I cannot get the Muo Atlas bottom stage to separate.  Never had this issue before.  It just gets loose and twitches now.  The engines are properly installed, any help would be appreciated

Edited by kadavi1202

20 hours ago, kadavi1202 said:

Greetings, I cannot get the Muo Atlas bottom stage to separate.  Never had this issue before.  It just gets loose and twitches now.

Go to the Github. ignore the 'releases' page, instead clicking 'code', then click 'download as ZIP'. The latest Developer release fixed it, and comes with Gemini as well.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

@Beale I decided to start messing around with your TRAILS textures and models to create the Gemini resupply module. The results were promising. Question: Can I move things from the McDonnell folder over to the BDB folders so that I can share textures? Alternatively, did you have any use for the extra space on the Service Module texture sheet? @Foxxonius Augustus thoughts? Also pictured, I realized that the Transtage based resupply craft was wide enough to fit on the 1.875m MOL docking port.

hza0PYk.png

xQ9IDQp.png

O4CqMuu.png

EDIT:

All 3 side by side:

JPm3sTG.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

22 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Beale I decided to start messing around with your TRAILS textures and models to create the Gemini resupply module. The results were promising. Question: Can I move things from the McDonnell folder over to the BDB folders so that I can share textures? Alternatively, did you have any use for the extra space on the Service Module texture sheet? @Foxxonius Augustus thoughts? Also pictured, I realized that the Transtage based resupply craft was wide enough to fit on the 1.875m MOL docking port.

hza0PYk.png

xQ9IDQp.png

I am sorry I missed the stream even more now! It looks amazing, I was a little worried even just looking at my sketches that it would wind up looking pudgy but I think the proportions have worked out really well. I especially like that the scaling worked out that the door is in the same place and the 'Camera Port' breaks up the upper section the same way the view ports on manned Gemini do. I am also digging how the Block II prototype looks, although its kind of weird seeing the female Gemini port on there. Not bad, just weird. All around, I am supper happy with. Great work man!

PS. Loving the pressurized and unpressurized sections on Cargo Transtage!

PPSS. Also love that the adapter works well on Cargo Agena!

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

hza0PYk.png

EDIT:

All 3 side by side:

Neat!

Personally yeah, I would move everything into BDB folders. It is easier to distribute that way.

For the textures - I was going to use the remaining service module texture space to create some adapaters (1.875 -> 2.5) and so so.

12 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Try out my set of craft files (listed on first page) and see if you get the same result. Atlas Agenas are Muo IB-ID I think.

Hmm, your craft file seems to work ok.

The only difference, aside from a different fairing (Procedural Cone Fairing for me) and a few additional RCS thrusters and the HLR15 batteries, is that I use an additional MUO600 fuel tank on the Atlas. Maybe that's enough to upset the mass distribution.

13 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I am sorry I missed the stream even more now! It looks amazing, I was a little worried even just looking at my sketches that it would wind up looking pudgy but I think the proportions have worked out really well. I especially like that the scaling worked out that the door is in the same place and the 'Camera Port' breaks up the upper section the same way the view ports on manned Gemini do. I am also digging how the Block II prototype looks, although its kind of weird seeing the female Gemini port on there. Not bad, just weird. All around, I am supper happy with. Great work man!

PS. Loving the pressurized and unpressurized sections on Cargo Transtage!

PPSS. Also love that the adapter works well on Cargo Agena!

Hurray! I didn't mess it up. Yeah I don't really like the Agena port on the Gemini, but I wanted to show it was possible. Yes, the adapter works on the Agena, yes the Transtage has both types of cargo. I was inspired by the HTV after I decided it would be a big barrel. I need to redo the RCS on the Transtage (there is room left on the sheet afterwards for the Titan radial decoupler) and then it will also be available as a standalone RCS block. 

8 hours ago, Beale said:

Personally yeah, I would move everything into BDB folders. It is easier to distribute that way.

For the textures - I was going to use the remaining service module texture space to create some adapaters (1.875 -> 2.5) and so so.

Awesome! Glad to know that I can do that. It'll make like a lot easier - Especially since then I don't need the space on the service module sheet.

4 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

@CobaltWolf, if you'd like to delay S*****n more, how about a shroud for transtage, to give it the smooth look in this picture. If it's possible...

Probably not. :P

Anyways, thanks to @benjee10 for giving me some help with textures. I just spent a little bit working on the MOL textures. Who knows, maybe you'll seamlessly be able to mix and match between Habtech and BDB once I put some more work in?

79C4gCP.png

EDIT: Oh, also, I made the adjustments to the Atlas V CCB parts.

6ePAI1O.png

BVFkrIT.png

EDIT: Do the normal maps make it better... or worse?

ygBqXMl.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, DarthVader said:

can you add a nosecone with chutes to the titan style booster to complement the nosecone with sep motors?

Uhhh, I'll keep it in mind. There isn't much room left on the Titan texture sheets (and, like, negative space on the booster sheet itself) so I'll see how it pans out.

EDIT: Couldn't resist working a little more on BDB stuff. Transtage RCS edits.

EDIT2: Just realized... I should probably just make it so the fuel tank doesn't have the RCS blocks. That way it's more flexible and the RCS has a better chance of actually working correctly.

br5BzEv.png

Edited by CobaltWolf