[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I may have been playing around with the MOS parts and this MAY have happened...

http://imgur.com/a/1dyhB

I even came up with rules for its development.

1. Every 2 crew need 1 Lab and 1 Hab and vice versa.
  2. Every 2 Lab/Hab modules requires 1 solar panel
  3. Every Docking Adapter (Docking ports for visiting space craft) requires an associated Hab for dcon or cargo storage.

I also produced a rough draft of what this design might look like when taken to extremes...

http://imgur.com/a/Pb9bB

As you can see, I may have let things get a bit out of hand...

I sure hope I am posting this in the right thread this time...

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

44 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh wow! That wouldn't even be that hard to set up - they have the thrust curves right there! We can probably infer for everything else. I agree that it would be better for the boosters than the upper stages.

Well... the curves are time/thrust. We need fuel % / thrust so there will be some figuring involved.

I'm a little distracted at the moment - my new computer arrived. Haven't seen my jaw since it fell on the floor.

4 hours ago, Jso said:

I'm a little distracted at the moment - my new computer arrived. Haven't seen my jaw since it fell on the floor.

Isn't it great? Welcome to the club, buddy. :cool:

I tried to play without these visual mods, but there's something about stock Kerbin that drew me back. It of course doesn't run nearly as well, but a solid ~45 frames it totally tolerable if I get to use these and still get it. :)

4 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Isn't it great? Welcome to the club, buddy. :cool:

I tried to play without these visual mods, but there's something about stock Kerbin that drew me back. It of course doesn't run nearly as well, but a solid ~45 frames it totally tolerable if I get to use these and still get it. :)

I uhhhhh, won't go @CobaltWolf crazy, but can I get a list of those visual mods?

5 minutes ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I uhhhhh, won't go @CobaltWolf crazy, but can I get a list of those visual mods?

I have literally the most basic setup. 

And I'd like PlanetShine but it's broken in 1.1.2 last I checked.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

1 hour ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I have literally the most basic setup. 

And I'd like PlanetShine but it's broken in 1.1.2 last I checked.

Same, but with EVE/SVE. I ended up turning off lens flare in scatterer, too distracting. Trying out Rareden's Skybox. And hi-res texture on everything. 64-bit is nice finally.

This is the most wonderful pack I have ever used in KSP. Hell, it's unseated KW Rocketry from my "must have" list; because this has all of the parts I've wanted. I haven't had a chance to try out the newest version; right now I'm on the quickfix for 1.1 that was mentioned in the thread a while back, the most current version can be gotten via the GitHub, right?

I can't decide if my favourite rocket is the Atlas D or Titan I. And I absolutely love the AVCO Mark IV re-entry vehicle for the Titan I and Atlas (well, it should be on an Atlas E or Atlas F, but Atlas D is close enough); when North Kerbin Dynamics updates to 1.1 I'll take a stab at seeing if I can make that AVCO Mark IV do it's originally intended job...

@CobaltWolf

Would you be willing to add in the parts for the early KH-1 through KH-4 CORONA, and KH-7 and KH-8 GAMBIT reconnaissance satellites? We have the three nice science cameras implemented already, but implementations of the CORONA and GAMBIT camera payloads would be amazing for nice recreations (and also would look much better than gluing the existing cameras and some batteries into a service compartment); especially since they fit perfectly on the Agena uppers (which is what they, and the KH-5 ARGON and KH-6 LANYARD, were built on). Only other NRO satellite I'd ask about would be the KH-9 HEXAGON; the big Titan III launched beasts. As for a use for the HEXAGON satellites, since they were geared for broader views than the GAMBIT or CORONA, and later on included a dedicated mapping camera bolted to the nose of the satellite, they'd do excellently as a resource scanner and of course SCANsat (SCANsat can also be added to the GAMBIT and CORONA as well). Plus, since the MOL (also called KH-10 DORIAN to the NRO) is being implemented it would be awesome to have the rest of the NRO's film satellite line up (less the ARGON and LANYARD).

59 minutes ago, Creideiki said:

This is the most wonderful pack I have ever used in KSP. Hell, it's unseated KW Rocketry from my "must have" list; because this has all of the parts I've wanted. I haven't had a chance to try out the newest version; right now I'm on the quickfix for 1.1 that was mentioned in the thread a while back, the most current version can be gotten via the GitHub, right?

I can't decide if my favourite rocket is the Atlas D or Titan I. And I absolutely love the AVCO Mark IV re-entry vehicle for the Titan I and Atlas (well, it should be on an Atlas E or Atlas F, but Atlas D is close enough); when North Kerbin Dynamics updates to 1.1 I'll take a stab at seeing if I can make that AVCO Mark IV do it's originally intended job...

I asked him if we could make actual warheads and he's really against the idea. :P

I'm glad you like it! It's replaced a lot of my "must have" mods as well, which seems kinda well... self centred of me to say?

Update:

I just testing this out. If you update CAL and Firespitter and BDArmory, North Kerbin Dynamics works fine in 1.1. Not sure about 1.1.2... I'm sure it won't get the same  results, but some things didn't break with 1.1.2! Maybe it still works.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

16 hours ago, Creideiki said:

~snip~

@DMagic already made Keyhole style science parts. Perhaps take a look there? :)  I don't see much point duplicating his work.

I will be trying to stream for a bit tonight! I have to take care of some things here but I expect to start within an hour!

From what I can tell in 1.1.2 (32 bit I can play in for almost 20 minutes now before it crashes, 64 bit less than 5 minutes IF I can get out of the VAB) Things are working really well. Textures look nice, and Science is working normally. Remote tech configs are working on all antenna's EXCEPT the new ones you added (Gemini Solar and MOL Communications rack, haven't noticed any other new antenna's yet) also probe cores with integrated Omni for RT are working as expected.

I'll have to launch all the different rocket configurations again to see how they fly, but everything looks good except for one little problem I'm having with Solids. I'm not sure if this is part of the MM configs to re balance engines, but I feel like some of the early solids are lacking in the amount of Fuel they have, no issues with thrust or ISP. So here goes:

Baseline is the "Wally" SRM which has a max thrust of 0.5 (okay cool) and 2 units of Solid Fuel (not bad I guess)

Next would be the single "Sargent" with a max thrust of 2 and 6 units of Solid Fuel (seems like a good progression)

But then we come to the Staara-10 "Aethra" which is in the next size up of 0.3125 and it has a max thrust of 7.6 (Nice) but only has 1.5453 units of Solid Fuel (!!!!!) which essentially makes it worse than the Wally SRM.

Then we get to the Staara-20 and it's thrust is less than the Staara-10 at max of 6.08 and 6.916 units of Solid Fuel, which is weird because it's only twice the size of Staara-10 but  has over 4 times the amount of fuel.

Unless I'm just using these solids wrong or there is only specific payloads I should use them with at certain altitudes than that's a different story. Anyway sorry to nit-pick, but it's kind of bothering me....enough to write this long post about it. LOL

1 hour ago, OTmikhail said:

~snip~

For the release candidate, you should download the actual zip in the release page I posted. But the only thing is that it doesn't have the MOL stuff. They are still in the source files as I believe you saw.

@Jso can you confirm that is the intended behavior of the solids? I've been busy with, uh, other projects.

37 minutes ago, DasBananenbrot said:

Nice. I'll try to test it soon but no guarantees though. Really nice work you did here :D

Thanks!

2 hours ago, OTmikhail said:

...srb stuff...

What's a "Wally" srm?

They were initially balanced by their measurements in game like the fuel tanks are but that didn't work out so well. There was some significant deviation both up and down from the real srb's they are modeled on. Now they are straight mass rescales of about 20% of real which looks much better to me so far. The exception is the Sargent which is 100% scale right now. I'm not sure what we're going to do with that yet - @CobaltWolf prefers the 60 second burn model, I'm waiting for him to come to his senses and start liking the 6 second burn version.

No opinion whatsoever went into there so nit-pick away, you won't hurt anyone's feelings, and we can tweak them if needed. But please try them first. The Star-10 is really really small. Pretty much a minimal mass satellite kick motor.

I played with the thrust curves a bit. It's works nice. Hopefully I'll have something to play with soon. Going to try the GEM 40's and Castor 120/30 for Athena first. Athena would really benefit from a thrust curve.

@Jso "Wally" SRM is the Pioneer 4 Kick motor. Located In the Bluedog_DB/Parts/Explorer folder and labeled  bluedog_PioneerKick . I've tried out these solids many times and it's weird to have very different solids in the same size. I feel like the Sargents are good as they are right now, and balance the others compared to them, even if it's not an accurate scale down from the real life values. What I like to do is fly early satellites with a Wally SRM, then a Starra-10, followed by either an Able or Ablestar, and boosted by any of the early Core LV's in this pack. I change this combination as the tech tree unlocks in a career, so I get a lot of use out of the smaller stuff before getting to the better upper stages. But flying those small solids combined with any Sargents is usually unsuccessful now when doing "Lego" designs. Anyway just my opinion that Staara-10, 20, and 31 all are super underpowered for their size, and I don't mean their thrust, that is fine, I mean the amount of Solid Fuel they carry compared to the Sargents.

Edited by OTmikhail

6 hours ago, OTmikhail said:

@Jso "Wally" SRM is the Pioneer 4 Kick motor. Located In the Bluedog_DB/Parts/Explorer folder and labeled  bluedog_PioneerKick . I've tried out these solids many times and it's weird to have very different solids in the same size. I feel like the Sargents are good as they are right now, and balance the others compared to them, even if it's not an accurate scale down from the real life values. What I like to do is fly early satellites with a Wally SRM, then a Starra-10, followed by either an Able or Ablestar, and boosted by any of the early Core LV's in this pack. I change this combination as the tech tree unlocks in a career, so I get a lot of use out of the smaller stuff before getting to the better upper stages. But flying those small solids combined with any Sargents is usually unsuccessful now when doing "Lego" designs. Anyway just my opinion that Staara-10, 20, and 31 all are super underpowered for their size, and I don't mean their thrust, that is fine, I mean the amount of Solid Fuel they carry compared to the Sargents.

I had a chance to look around. The Wally/Pioneer and Sargent you're looking at are extremely heavy for their size and need to be scaled down. The full size Sargent that this is modeled after would only hold 2.8 units of fuel. The Wally weighs more than that FLT-100 tank in the picture (without fuel). Just eyeballing it the Wally would generously be 0.25 to 0.5 units. These things are very small. Since that probably won't fly, how about we upscale the Pioneer, Sargent, Star 10 and Star 20 a bit.

RNz0dgh.png

I included a Septatron for scale, but I don't believe we should balance against that. Separatron's seem to exist in some alternate space time dimension. With the dry masses corrected the Wally goes from the 100 kg it is now to 9 kg. Mass is what I'm looking at.

15 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Obviously, the texutre is really, really placeholder, but this is just to prove I can.

ciH475F.png

@OTmikhail aren't you proud of me

SOOOO Proud! YAY I thought we might never fly a WAC again since @Beale isn't doing his for the foreseeable future, I think. In fact what size diameter is this? It could take the place of WAC and have a whole Aerobee program for Taerobee. I know he said no off sizes. 0.3125m? I would love to have these radially attachable to enhance early space program.   Keep up the good work fam.

12 hours ago, Jso said:

I had a chance to look around. The Wally/Pioneer and Sargent you're looking at are extremely heavy for their size and need to be scaled down. The full size Sargent that this is modeled after would only hold 2.8 units of fuel. The Wally weighs more than that FLT-100 tank in the picture (without fuel). Just eyeballing it the Wally would generously be 0.25 to 0.5 units. These things are very small. Since that probably won't fly, how about we upscale the Pioneer, Sargent, Star 10 and Star 20 a bit.

*Pic*

I included a Septatron for scale, but I don't believe we should balance against that. Separatron's seem to exist in some alternate space time dimension. With the dry masses corrected the Wally goes from the 100 kg it is now to 9 kg. Mass is what I'm looking at.

Before this gets changed in the release how can I edit the dry mass myself on my end? I didn't realize they were so heavy, I think I see the mass in the CFG files, what did you lower Wally down to in order to reach 9kg weight? Jeez I've been putting Wally on all the early satellites. They will probably be easier to loft without it until I can edit the weight down. I like your amounts of fuel for these, the star 37,31,and 48 are pretty much unchanged to how they are now, but for Pioneer Kick and Sargent I was thinking of leaving them how they are (except weight) and having the Star 10 have 7 units of fuel, Star 20 have 14 units of fuel. Why? Because the Sargentx3 has 16 units of fuel, I'm basing my reasoning off of how the Sargents are now, which in my opinion, are working fine, although now I realize they are way heavier than the others..... Thanks for working with me on this.

Edited by OTmikhail

Hi CobaltWolf, thank you for the great stockalike "FASA", i'm having great fun with your mod togheter with Stock Size Real Solar System (leaving link to the ones that don't know it, it's perfect to play with BDB mods and Tantares). 

I wanted to ask your mod will support "Stockalike RF Engine Config" support, because right now Real Fuels give a really high DeltaV to the BDB Rockets, taking a bit of challenge out.

Kind Regards.