[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

What about naming it after one of the guys from the Apollo 1 crew like Chaffee or Grissom.

7 hours ago, 123nick said:

i like the name grissom.

The three new engines for Saturn - the F1, J2, and H1 - are already named Navi, Dnoces, and Regor. I don't remember which is which though. In particular, I would feel a bit strange assigning any one of those men as 'more important' than the other two, if the Apollo CSM was named after only one. :) 

13 hours ago, Sudragon said:

Have you considered using any of the other 'mainstream' fuel types, like lhyd/oxidizer (hydrolox) ?

You mean adding new fuel types? That's outside the scope of this mod - I just want to add parts. There are already plenty of engines in the mod that represent storable propellants and hydrolox.

12 hours ago, Drakenex said:

Updated my Lunar Orbiter! Thanks @CobaltWolf for releasing more LO parts! well if you add the solar panels I won't be mad :D.

Ah! That looks fantastic dude! Glad to see how well the rescaled Marquart looks on it. I kind of want to try and do a probe core with an integrated truss to give space for the camera equipment. The solar panels are on the roadmap don't worry - though I'm not very big on working on probe stuff at the moment.

So, two things - one, I will be trying to stream tonight so keep an eye out and an ear to the ground. Second, it looks like there may be ~5 distinct sets of parts for the Centaur revamp, which I started last night and will probably continue tonight. 

• Centaur D (ie original Centaur)
  • Baby Centaur (posted last night)
  • Centaur 3 (Atlas V)
  • Centaur T (Titan)
  • Centaur G / G' (Shuttle)

These won't each have the full part suite (for example I only plan two engine mounts, a hemispherical one for Atlas and a more angular / conic one for Titan + Shuttle) but you get the idea. There's some other misc things, like Integrated Vehicle Fluids and a 1.5m cryogenic tank for Delta II that was allegedly proposed at some point. Anyways, I leave you with these Centaur RCS ports that I forgot to post last night. They mount onto blocks on the engine mounts, or in whatever configuration you can come up with.

YPGucY7.png

EDIT: Also, while doing some reference searches at work, I found this. Just for you @123nick

SRB-X.jpg

EDIT2: So I just realized, you could totally make this very easily once the Transtage pressurized resupply module is done, just plop it + the MOS docking port on the bottom of a Leo. I should probably finish that... Anyways, bonus points for leaving the logistics module attached after undocking the Gemini, though I don't know how you'd get rid of it eventually...

supplytransport-660x270.jpg

Edited by CobaltWolf

Just now, Drakenex said:

@CobaltWolf there's a conflict between ModCategorizer  and Infernal Robotics, deleting MC fixed the issue, but my question is, I can't see any new category for the MOL parts or whatever while MC is installed, are you using it?

Thanks!

Sooooooo I forgot to remove it from the release. IIRC it's not working properly at the moment. If you have normal WildBlueTools installed it will properly add a BDB category.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sooooooo I forgot to remove it from the release. IIRC it's not working properly at the moment. If you have normal WildBlueTools installed it will properly add a BDB category.

Okey doekey! Thanks

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Not yet, just an interstage. One will be added eventually. There are two other non-Saturn rockets that use 3.125m as a size. (Wait did you mean 3.75m>3.125m?)

@Kadrush ah. right, because their texture map got overwritten too. The RemoteTech cfg references the part name, so that would have to change too. Right now the ones that are working on your screen are the new ones. The two 'gray' parts (the top two) are the old ones, which now have a broken texture. Apparently both the A-27C and the MSC were smaller after the remake. That was 'intentional', by which I mean I meant them to be that size but didn't know it was different. So they didn't shrink.

So, if go to the remote tech cfg file (not sure if on bluedog or remote tech folder) all i need to do is to copy/paste de comand line with the remote tech data for the antenas that were broken? I dont mind for the broken textures, they look nice actually, like 50 shades of grey :P

Just now, Kadrush said:

So, if go to the remote tech cfg file (not sure if on bluedog or remote tech folder) all i need to do is to copy/paste de comand line with the remote tech data for the antenas that were broken? I dont mind for the broken textures, they look nice actually, like 50 shades of grey :P

Best solution would be to copy the patch sections that reference the new versions, paste them right below, and change the part they're referencing to the ones that you still have installed.

9 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

What about naming it after one of the guys from the Apollo 1 crew like Chaffee or Grissom.

Alternatively, I would like to see the name Collins on a part somewhere.

~ANNOUNCEMENT~

Hey everyone! I'd like to take a moment to officially welcome @Jso to the BDB dev team! He has put a lot of work into helping keep BDB working and balanced, and me and @VenomousRequiem felt his ongoing support was overdue for recognition. He'll now be working on BDB in a more, quote, "official capacity". None of us know what that means, but it's the phrasing I used when I asked. Anyways, let's all have a round of applause for the newest BDB co-author!

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

37 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

~ANNOUNCEMENT~

Hey everyone! I'd like to take a moment to officially welcome @Jso to the BDB dev team! He has put a lot of work into helping keep BDB working and balanced, and me and @VenomousRequiem felt his ongoing support was overdue for recognition. He'll now be working on BDB in a more, quote, "official capacity". None of us know what that means, but it's the phrasing I used when I asked. Anyways, let's all have a round of applause for the newest BDB co-author!

CgWdZpx.png

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The three new engines for Saturn - the F1, J2, and H1 - are already named Navi, Dnoces, and Regor.

EDIT: Also, while doing some reference searches at work, I found this. Just for you @123nick

SRB-X.jpg

thanks for the SRBX chart, maybe ill do an SRBX too scale, maybe. and i like the names, but i have a bug report? the cameras dont seem too have the science experiments set up right, atleast the part module for science experiment doesent show up when moused over in the VAB. 

Just now, 123nick said:

thanks for the SRBX chart, maybe ill do an SRBX too scale, maybe. and i like the names, but i have a bug report? the cameras dont seem too have the science experiments set up right, atleast the part module for science experiment doesent show up when moused over in the VAB. 

Are any of the other experiments that use the DMagic plugin working? I've noticed some issues on my end but forgot to look into them. Similarly, some of @akron's parts aren't working for me at present.

@TimothyC some interesting going-ons in Ed Kyle's Never-Flown Titan thread. For one, the single stick Titan launchers:

B6mATr2.jpg

For those just joining us, these are Titan solids replacing a Titan-3 first stage. They're modified so the nozzles face straight down and have two TVC tanks to handle the additional work the system would need for controlling itself. These boosters are already represented in several flavors in the mod.

There is also some talk of Titan-1 variants, or rather, lack thereof. Someone shared a NASA LV handbook where Titan-1 with a solid third stage was mentioned, but nothing came out of it. In our timeline, of course, it turned out to be more expensive to refurbish Titan-1s for LV use than it was to just keep producing Atlas variants. Moreover there wasn't much growth potential for Titan-1 since Martin Marietta was fairly focused on Titan-2. Still interesting to think about. I wonder what a Titan-1 with a larger second stage, possibly with an LR-105, would look like, and what upper stage it would use. Vega?

I keep wanting to do a sort of 'alternate history' playthrough where my main LVs are ones that never really got used in OTL. I'm dying to try and make a Juno-III (basically one or two larger monolithic upper stages rather than the Sargent clusters), I want to do an uprated Redstone with up to 12 Sargents around the base to give it more thrust on the pad... what I'm saying is I might try and play the game a bit tonight before I get work done haha.

Speaking of work, I either want to try and get the Transtage stuff done (the 1.875m inline core, the two cargo modules and the revamp of the RCS) or to keep working on the Centaur Revamp + expansion, which includes the Vega upper stage (since I want to share some hardware between them, such as the avionics and fairing base, possibly the engine mount) for good measure. Y'all let me know which you'd rather see.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

~ANNOUNCEMENT~

magnificent!  

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

~ANNOUNCEMENT~

@Jso Well done old sport

xUg5gER.jpg

So, are the Saturn parts going to be standard sizes (i.e. 3.75m, 5m, 7.5m, etc), or are they going to be some really stupid  off-the-wall non standard size, like 6.4 or 2.319 meters or something crazy like that?

2 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

So, are the Saturn parts going to be standard sizes (i.e. 3.75m, 5m, 7.5m, etc), or are they going to be some really stupid  off-the-wall non standard size, like 6.4 or 2.319 meters or something crazy like that?

This is cobalt we are taking about, I'm sure he'll find a non stock size.

Edited by Sgt.Shutesie

1 minute ago, awsumindyman said:

Depends on if multiples of 0.625m are standard sizes. Right now I have them slated for 3.125m (S-IV), 3.75m (S-I and S-IVB), and 6.25m (S-1C and S-II).

2 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

do you not like the new sizes?

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Best solution would be to copy the patch sections that reference the new versions, paste them right below, and change the part they're referencing to the ones that you still have installed.

Thanks dude, it was far simpler than i tought, just copied a few line to the remote tech config file in the bluedog mod and voilá, everything is running again.

Oh, and thank you and the other mod devs for all the amazing job you guys placed on this mod.

2 minutes ago, Kadrush said:

Thanks dude, it was far simpler than i tought, just copied a few line to the remote tech config file in the bluedog mod and voilá, everything is running again.

Oh, and thank you and the other mod devs for all the amazing job you guys placed on this mod.

Yeah, I really apologize for the trouble. Now I understand why other mod authors put so much work into leaving deprecated parts in the files for releases.

2 minutes ago, 123nick said:

do you not like the new sizes?

No, not really. It makes sense to "follow the crowd" for compatibility. Granted, though, Bluedog has done a good job so far (if you do some simple math's, you'll soon find out that all of his non-stock sizes are actually compatible, except 1.5 meters: it's the only one not a fraction/multiple of 0.625m).

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Depends on if multiples of 0.625m are standard sizes. Right now I have them slated for 3.125m (S-IV), 3.75m (S-I and S-IVB), and 6.25m (S-1C and S-II).

Good. While I know it's your mod, it's probably best that you keep 1.5m as the only non-compatible size range.