[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

well that was fast.

So... how is it put together?

Even though the first picture could be considered a dead giveaway, it's actually a closely guarded secret.

3 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Even though the first picture could be considered a dead giveaway, it's actually a closely guarded secret.

By 'put together' I meant the parts. are there going to be different engines, engine clusters, decouplers, interstage rings....?

Just now, Rory Yammomoto said:

By 'put together' I meant the parts. are there going to be different engines, engine clusters, decouplers, interstage rings....?

SmJeHfI.png

Remember, I'm trying to provide a variety of parts to make all the different Saturn Variants - which doesn't necessarily mean that the basic Saturn V parts can be rearranged a thousand different ways by themselves. You'll have to wait for more varied parts to enable a lot of the other interesting configurations.

Well, speaking of the S-IVB...

sWJ2W9m.png

The J-2 got modeled on a train ride earlier this week. I'm starting the F-1 now - the ones in the complete Saturn V scene right now are just placeholders.:)

EDIT: Also, thanks to @frizzank / whoever modeled the FASA J2. I freely admit to popping it into Maya (Thanks to @Sgt.Shutesie for the MU conversion) to see how they had done the certain parts of the mesh.

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

Jesus, @CobaltWolf, you're FAST!! At this rate, we'll be flying this towering chariot of fire by the end of next week!

Don't hold me to it. Especially because I'm heading home for a week next Saturday. Probably not going to have much time to work then.

Incidentally, roadmap has been updated. I kind of fell out of using it for a while. We'll need to figure out where to go from there once the basic Saturn parts are in - quality of life stuff like adapter fuel tanks instead of interstages, low profile decouplers instead of... well, interstages. Basically providing replacements for interstages. Along with that we'll need stuff for other Saturn variants - alternate engine mounts like for the Saturn 1C from Eyes Turned Skywards and dual F-1 mounts for the Saturn C-3. Check the roadmap, let me know how much you think I've missed. :)

2 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Thanks but I can do it myself :P

No need to be snappy, I only offered to help. But I surely can find other things to do in my spare time... :wink:

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Well, you asked...

z6QlyrQ.pngPlhrHEx.pngh1rgnOp.pngXqBnxFL.png5JfZjA9.png

Gigantic, amazing! I see Kerpollo and Eyes Turned Skyward all the way! Can't wait to see it in game... And don't mind the manual, I can do w/o! :P

33 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

No need to be snappy, I only offered to help. But I surely can find other things to do in my spare time... :wink:

Gigantic, amazing! I see Kerpollo and Eyes Turned Skyward all the way! Can't wait to see it in game... And don't mind the manual, I can do w/o! :P

From when I spoke to him earlier I think he meant it as a joke. I used to stream a lot of development work (Can't now as I am living a month without my desktop - yes all this has been with only one monitor!) and let's just say my spoken personality is... abrasive? :P Some of the people here mimic it and it can be very off putting for those who don't hang out with this circle of people.

Anyways, y'all managed to twist my arm...

rbSCTfS.pngIpbjSO5.png

Note that the SLA geometry is a bit weird right now. It isn't finalized, I need to test it with the LEM more. It's not an immediate priority at this second. Couple of questions...

-How much writing should be on these? On the real Saturn, there were words on basically every stage. If so, what should I write? I don't want to have them be United States parodies.

-And places that y'all would like to see flag decals?

-Any suggestions for specific details you want me to model in?

Edited by CobaltWolf

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

-How much writing should be on these? On the real Saturn, there were words on basically every stage. If so, what should I write? I don't want to have them be United States parodies.

-either 'SARNUS ', 'Bluedog Design '(Because you can be egotistical with your own mod) or 'Baguette rocket'

-the first stage.

-not any at the moment.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

34 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

From when I spoke to him earlier I think he meant it as a joke. I used to stream a lot of development work (Can't now as I am living a month without my desktop - yes all this has been with only one monitor!) and let's just say my spoken personality is... abrasive? :P Some of the people here mimic it and it can be very off putting for those who don't hang out with this circle of people.

Anyways, y'all managed to twist my arm...

rbSCTfS.pngIpbjSO5.png

Note that the SLA geometry is a bit weird right now. It isn't finalized, I need to test it with the LEM more. It's not an immediate priority at this second. Couple of questions...

Personally, I'd advocate stages without any "writings" on it, for various reasons (not a blame, but actually already it bother me the "Sarnus I" name on yours, as for "parallel name", in my rockets, the Mun shoot is done by the "Khronos" X°D, greek name of the same Saturn latin divinity):

- tanks could then be used on personal project by players (any kind of rocket/spaceship/fuel depot). As example, for my (in-)famous placeholder, you can add space for the "flag" that anyone use in their own kerbal space program:

HwcRPnm.jpg

As shown, this is still recognizable as a "Saturn V" without all the cold war propaganda decals that it had back in time, and the flag on the S-IC is the one used by me on my game (actually, no more, as I switched to the white one, but you got the idea :wink:). Maybe a little bigger???

Regarding specific details. I'd like maybe to see:

• S-IC separation solids on the F-1 engine mount as shown here from my palceholder:
    JCJe2ss.jpg

... and also from reality:

as15_003.jpg

... they could also double if you could build the same fairing base as a 1 and half stage proposed evolution of the S-IC. (My placeholder is monolithic, aside from the winglets and engines, rather than yours that has the main tank separated from the engine monunts)

• Aside from the progression of development of the Saturn version (like the below depicted):

satdwg.gif

some love also for the C3-B version (halfway from C3 and C4, with 3x F-1):

satc3b3.gif

**EDIT**

• Oh! I forgot:
    surelly, later in the development (after the fully Sarnus V release) maybe some different height for tanks at the same S-IC/S-II diameter (shorter ones to be stack alone or on top of the main ones)
Edited by Araym

33 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Keep doing what you've been doing - just make it generic. If possible try to keep the texture sheets organized in a fashion that will allow someone else to make an alternate texture set without it being a major chore. I'm thinking FSTextureSwitch.

6 minutes ago, Jso said:

Keep doing what you've been doing - just make it generic. If possible try to keep the texture sheets organized in a fashion that will allow someone else to make an alternate texture set without it being a major chore. I'm thinking FSTextureSwitch.

.+1 VOTE also for this :D

(As I discovered how to direct convert from dds files to easy-to-be-modified anyelse, without any expensive software: my first take were my own suits for kerbalnauts, just today published on TextureReplacer thread :P)

Edited by Araym

3 minutes ago, Jso said:

Of course. I can very easily redistribute semi-compressed versions of the textures - everything below the text, the text layer, and everything above the text. I offered to do this for the Saturn 1 but IIRC had no takers so I haven't bothered yet. It is still very doable. :)

12 minutes ago, Araym said:

Personally, I'd advocate stages without any "writings" on it, for various reasons (not a blame, but actually already it bother me the "Sarnus I" name on yours, as for "parallel name", in my rockets, the Mun shoot is done by the "Khronos" X°D, greek name of the same Saturn latin divinity):

- tanks could then be used on personal project by players (any kind of rocket/spaceship/fuel depot). As example, for my (in-)famous placeholder, you can add space for the "flag" that anyone use in their own kerbal space program:

~snip~

As shown, this is still recognizable as a "Saturn V" without all the cold war propaganda decals that it had back in time, and the flag on the S-IC is the one used by me on my game (actually, no more, as I switched to the white one, but you got the idea :wink:). Maybe a little bigger???

Regarding specific details. I'd like maybe to see:

• S-IC separation solids on the F-1 engine mount as shown here from my palceholder:

~snip~

... they could also double if you could build the same fairing base as a 1 and half stage proposed evolution of the S-IC. (My placeholder is monolithic, aside from the winglets and engines, rather than yours that has the main tank separated from the engine monunts)

• Aside from the progression of development of the Saturn version (like the below depicted):

~snip~

some love also for the C3-B version (halfway from C3 and C4, with 3x F-1):

~snip~

**EDIT**

• Oh! I forgot:
    surelly, later in the development (after the fully Sarnus V release) maybe some different height for tanks at the same S-IC/S-II diameter (shorter ones to be stack alone or on top of the main ones)

I didn't know the S-1C had the retro solids there! I'll try and fix them. @hraban sent me some nice reference this morning for the fins - my placeholder models were wrong.

Re: 1.5 stage Saturn, I believe you mean this? I'd like to do it at some point.

C3-B is certainly doable. Hopefully at some point I will be able to turn to mostly mapping things to existing textures, or even copying+cutting out chunks of earlier meshes. The S-1C engine shrouds, for example, could hopefully be used when making the C3 and C3-B engine mounts.

Yes, the Saturn V tank diameter (5.625m) will get additional tanks, from the various stretched versions etc. It's all opening up a lot now that I'm finally here and I'm trying to balance between forward-thinking and keeping my head on straight haha.

It looks like you have the IU integrated with the S-IV-B? Excellent move. And I really like the modelling on the IU. Just enough fidelity that it's unmistakable, yet not over-greebled.

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Of course. I can very easily redistribute semi-compressed versions of the textures - everything below the text, the text layer, and everything above the text. I offered to do this for the Saturn 1 but IIRC had no takers so I haven't bothered yet. It is still very doable. :)

I didn't know the S-1C had the retro solids there! I'll try and fix them. @hraban sent me some nice reference this morning for the fins - my placeholder models were wrong.

Re: 1.5 stage Saturn, I believe you mean this? I'd like to do it at some point.

C3-B is certainly doable. Hopefully at some point I will be able to turn to mostly mapping things to existing textures, or even copying+cutting out chunks of earlier meshes. The S-1C engine shrouds, for example, could hopefully be used when making the C3 and C3-B engine mounts.

Yes, the Saturn V tank diameter (5.625m) will get additional tanks, from the various stretched versions etc. It's all opening up a lot now that I'm finally here and I'm trying to balance between forward-thinking and keeping my head on straight haha.

:D You see: I'm something useful, sometime LOL

... and yes: I'd like that Saturn-alike 1.5 stage.

It has reference also to the initial Atlas development phase, that was thought to be a bigger 5x engine rocket (4x boosters to be jettisoned as "half stage" and then the 1x sustainer)

Edited by Araym

One suggestion I'd make would be to make the stripes thicker and move them over so the edges are in the middle of the engine covers, where the fins are placed, as was the case with both the Saturn V and the 500F paint jobs, or maybe there could be some sort of texture switching between paint jobs and writing as already mentioned.

Edited by _Krieger_

Wow its great to be back! Looks like I am coming back at a great time and I have missed alot. I see many exciting things but have you done a Sarnus CM and SM? If those are yours on top of the Saturn stack then I cannot wait this is exactly what I was waiting for. Your LEM fyi is simply beautiful. 

Also I looked at the road map. Do you have any plans to do a Skylab? Just a question not a request. However I would love to see your version of Skylab you are fantastic at building parts particularly station parts. 

Edited by sp1989

18 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

One suggestion I'd make would be to make the stripes thicker and move them over so the edges are in the middle of the engine covers, where the fins are placed, as was the case with both the Saturn V and the 500F paint jobs, or maybe there could be some sort of texture switching between paint jobs and writing as already mentioned.

I'm not going to do multiple paint jobs for these parts, though of course I always will distribute the PSDs upon request.

For the stripes, well, I just did them by quickly selecting faces and changing their color. There are no parts that are UV unwrapped or textured yet.

4 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Wow its great to be back! Looks like I am coming back at a great time and I have missed alot. I see many exciting things but have you done a Sarnus CM and SM? If those are yours on top of the Saturn stack then I cannot wait this is exactly what I was waiting for. Your LEM fyi is simply beautiful. 

Also I looked at the road map. Do you have any plans to do a Skylab? Just a question not a request. However I would love to see your version of Skylab you are fantastic at building parts particularly station parts. 

Indeed, the Kane-11 Blok 2 CSM (Kane being pronounced 'Kahn-nay') named after the Hawaiian sun god. :)

8auZQ53.png

And yes, I would like to do Skylab. Is it not on the roadmap..? Yeah, I would like to do Skylab, Spacelab, maybe some other stuff. I don't see too much point in making a large array of parts for Freedom/ISS type stations, especially now that @cxg2827 is actively emulating my art style in CX Aerospace. If you want a Skylab sooner (since I don't have plans to immediately work on it after Saturn/Apollo is done) then @Angel-125's M.O.L.E. almost has a Skylab ready.