[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

59 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

then you're not running the beta release, where all the part categories changed. And the petals don't work because they run on a small custom plugin; that won't work in 1.1.3.

@Abrecan I'm glad the IVAs came out nice! Make sure you thank @Mods_o_joy for the LEM IVA, he made it from scratch! The command module IVA was from @Ledenko's old K-P0110 mod. And I think I know what you're talking about with the shelter...

I'm doing 3.75m, partially just for Skylab. And by 5m you mean 5.625m :P You'll get one if only so you can make this:

ohhh a CobaltWolfized Skylab!! ouch my head, no more cheap beer ..

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Regarding the LEM IVA, what happened was basically the LEM was modeled backwards, which I realized and changed at the last minute. @Araym can I rotate the IVA in the cfg? I'm going to put in the fix for the S-1C retros right now. Thanks for that!

I tried to "turn around" the IVA, first (adding the "MODEL {..... rotate = ...}" thing in the Lunar IVA with the proper folder path), but then ONLY the model will be rotated, and ALL the props must be repositioned by hand on the cfg and it is like do another IVA from scratch (not changing them, they still will be displayed on the back of the cabin, even if the its windows are now in the right position). Rotate back only the LEM outside is easier, in this stage for cfg editing, and use the gizmoz in the VAB to position it in any angle with a correct IVA display, rather than ask Modsojoy (dunno his name on the forum) to do the whole job on the IVA with all the props he would have to reposition in the model.

It's just a matter of preference: with my tweaks, rotating the part, it is "just a line of code in the cfg" (if you are not willing to bother again to remodel it in your graphic editor)... rotate the IVA will require "a bit more" (coff coff) of commitment (I'm not in the position to do it properly...)

I got how now, probably, it ends for someone with a "backward navball", but as I checked, during a landing with my tweaks (and the old position) with the navball level like flying a plane, the windows cabin are facing to the ground like, probably, it feels better than looking on the sky for a whole descent...

Edited by Araym

41 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Could we get integrated RCS in the Kane capsule, as the real Apollo had?

39 minutes ago, Abrecan said:

..there is? have to right click and enable ^

Yeah it's just there for reentry / emergency attitude control. Just like the RCS on the Gemini nose.

EDIT: Also, I was worried about being able to do the ETS Apollo variants with the higher crew capacity, specifically, how do I visually distinguish them? One idea I had, was I could make a version of the capsule with the white Skylab paint job, where there was an extra matte white coating added over the metallic shell of the capsule. Thoughts?

image-of-skylab4_apollo.gif

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Regarding the LEM IVA, what happened was basically the LEM was modeled backwards, which I realized and changed at the last minute. @Araym can I rotate the IVA in the cfg? I'm going to put in the fix for the S-1C retros right now. Thanks for that!

1 hour ago, Araym said:

I got how now, probably, it ends for someone with a "backward navball", but as I checked, during a landing with my tweaks (and the old position) with the navball level like flying a plane, the windows cabin are facing to the ground like, probably, it feels better than looking on the sky for a whole descent...

It looks to me like the IVA is correct, and the model is backwards. If we call the docking port side Up, the engine side Down, and the windows Forward, pitch control is reversed when flying Forward. From the IVA view pitch control is normal.

I believe windows facing the sky is the normal attitude for the LEM on descent. Facing the ground you'll be looking behind you when you pitch from horizontal to vertical.

Edit: I don't see any props at all in the LEM IVA, should I be?

Edited by Jso

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

They faced the ground during descent, and then rolled to skywards about a minute before landing IIRC. And I want the LEM to be consistent with all the other pods, which face the opposite direction of the LEM IVA right now.

Both the Mk1 and Mk2 lander cans have the windows on the other side. If you reverse the IVA won't you be looking backwards? Pitch forward control would appear to be a pitch up.

Just now, Jso said:

Both the Mk1 and Mk2 lander cans have the windows on the other side. If you reverse the IVA won't you be looking backwards? Pitch forward control would appear to be a pitch up.

Really? Alright I'll switch it back I guess.

Playing around with the Sarnus, I don't know how to attach the S-II ullage motors so they don't separate from the interstage when it decouples. Nor do I know where to place the S-IVB ullage motors or the monoprop S-IVB things. it's hard to find documentation on this; will this be included in the PDF or a craft file?

52 minutes ago, Jso said:

It looks to me like the IVA is correct, and the model is backwards. If we call the docking port side Up, the engine side Down, and the windows Forward, pitch control is reversed when flying Forward. From the IVA view pitch control is normal.

I believe windows facing the sky is the normal attitude for the LEM on descent. Facing the ground you'll be looking behind you when you pitch from horizontal to vertical.

Edit: I don't see any props at all in the LEM IVA, should I be?

48 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

They faced the ground during descent, and then rolled to skywards about a minute before landing IIRC. And I want the LEM to be consistent with all the other pods, which face the opposite direction of the LEM IVA right now.

Both quoted as they will combine in my mind:

as I felt, during the descent, with my "back in position tweaks" (like it was, with the esternal model alligned with the IVA, rather than the contrary), it looked more naturally to look the Mun's ground, going down, and only in the latest moment, eventually, turn around to look the landing site. This, as stated by Cobalt, is like it used to be for the real thing. I know that, visually, as took by the part list in the VAB, look strange to see the back of the cabin, but basically that happens with ANY stock lander can (you see the doors in front of you, but the "forward window" is always on the other side). In a LEM it is only more evident as both egress door AND windows are on the other side.

The only, pratical, concern (mostly nothing, to me, if I can tell) is that to dock like the real thing (with both the Apollo windows and LEM windows on the same side) you have to dock the CSM with a 180° roll attitude to the LEM (mostly notable if anyone try it with a docking alignment mod).

"Lunar" IVA issue (stated by JSO): as I'm trying the new parts ALSO in 1.1.3 (where I have ASET prop installed as they should be needed), I do not see basically any prop too... gladly was not only an issue with 1.1.3

----------------

By the way:

... I jump the bandwagon of Munar photo too!! :D

1atl0zl.png

Jeb (red striped suit) and Bill (blue striped suit) at the Neil Armstrong memorial monument on the Mun :cool:

(... meanwhile Valentina is on a travel toward Minmus: both crews took off one after another, but the Kerbin-Minmus trip is a bit longer...)

(Picture took in 1.1.3, where I use my designed suits for Texture Replacer... *** Add some shameful advice here  LOL ***)

Edited by Araym

6 minutes ago, Araym said:

The only, pratical, concern (mostly nothing, to me, if I can tell) is that to dock like the real thing (with both the Apollo windows and LEM windows on the same side) you have to dock the CSM with a 180° roll attitude to the LEM (mostly notable if anyone try it with a docking alignment mod).

Rotating the docking port (or everything under it) in the VAB should address that. I think it's far more important to have not reversed controls.

4 minutes ago, Jso said:

Rotating the docking port (or everything under it) in the VAB should address that. I think it's far more important to have not reversed controls.

Or maybe not rotating the docking port, and only roll the CSM in the flight as needed is better: if in any case the LEM goes to be controlled by the docking port, then the "reversed control" issue could reappear, switching from the "right one" from the LEM cabin and the "rotated one" from the drogue...

Edited by Araym

5 minutes ago, Jso said:

Speaking of which, we need to add all those new module settings @Beale showed up to all the docking ports. Especially the angle snaps.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm doing 3.75m, partially just for Skylab. And by 5m you mean 5.625m :P You'll get one if only so you can make this:

nEfvaAA.jpg

I did mean a 5.265m fairing, but your development roadmap lists it as a 5m fairing... so I just wrote that.

33 minutes ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Playing around with the Sarnus, I don't know how to attach the S-II ullage motors so they don't separate from the interstage when it decouples. Nor do I know where to place the S-IVB ullage motors or the monoprop S-IVB things. it's hard to find documentation on this; will this be included in the PDF or a craft file?

This was one of the things I checked with the 1.0 beta release, and the ullage motors should remain on the interstage when it separates now. As for the S-IVB aux motors, there are two places on the black ring at the bottom of the S-IVB tank (it may be the S-IVB engine mount) where the lines are spaced out more, and thats where I drop the 2 aux motors. Im not sure where the S-IVB ullage motors go though...

3 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

I did mean a 5.265m fairing, but your development roadmap lists it as a 5m fairing... so I just wrote that.

This was one of the things I checked with the 1.0 beta release, and the ullage motors should remain on the interstage when it separates now. As for the S-IVB aux motors, there are two places on the black ring at the bottom of the S-IVB tank (it may be the S-IVB engine mount) where the lines are spaced out more, and thats where I drop the 2 aux motors. Im not sure where the S-IVB ullage motors go though...

Depends on how many you want to put on. I usually do 4 for a Saturn V, 45 degrees off the interstage retros. Makes for sexy separations...

Re: 5.625m Fairing Base, yes, it's happening, don't worry. If it's not communicated properly on the roadmap, that's a mistake on my part. I try and have thin decouplers, size adapters, and fairing bases for all my sizes.

1 minute ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Evidently--sorry for being so active here today--is an ASTP adapter in the roadmap, or should I ask Beale?

Wasn't planning on it. It's on @Beale, if he ever has time.

Also, keep posting screenshots. I'll be sad if the thread doesn't stay 'HOT!' all day. :P