[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I have to say: the S-ll looks.. odd with SOFI as Cobalt has it.

4 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

You're making me want to throw the Saturns into Blender, make them usable for printing, and hijack the half-million dollar multi-color 3D printer at my dad's work to make rockets.

Don't we all.

22 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

You'll get there :wink:

@Hay just saw your edit, that's a neat little station! I'm always glad to see people using those MOS parts, some days I feel the effort was wasted since they wound up being far more time consuming than intended.

EDIT: Was wondering was S-II would look like with SOFI (Spray On Foam Insulation)

Spoiler

94lj34l.png

KUrpkIr.png

MriNhBn.png

Can you leave the texture in, even if you don't want to make a part that uses it?

6 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Hey Cobalt. I am extremely sorry about the lack of progress on the IVAs I said I'd do. I've had a lot of real-life stuff to do, no time for all of the stuff I promised. I might have to give some of the IVAs I've claimed to others.

No worries. :) Though 'others' is a bit optimistic. @Daelkyr is just now getting back in the saddle following a pile of hardware issues.

So I haven't put the Titan II black fairing through heat tests.. but I know it was designed to withstand reentry and you might want to think about maybe putting ablator in it so it could.

31 minutes ago, Brainpop14 said:

Um, I need a little help. I want to make a Lunar Orbiter spacecraft but I can't find the right parts. What do I need?

There aren't enough parts to make it right now. I'll see what I can do this week, I was just telling @akron I wanted to work on probe stuff.

9 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I bet you do... :P

So, after discussing it with @Jso and @akron, we are indeed going to be working on probes for a little bit (sorry for those that were waiting on Skylab, etc... I still want to get the last Apollo bits done ASAP. I just haven't been in a good environment for setting up my tablet lately, and, well, I wanted a change of pace), mostly finishing up all that stuff I modeled anywhere from February 2016 - almost a year ago! - to June of this year. The current probe stuff will, at long last, be split off from the mainline Bluedog_DB release - this includes, basically, everything in the Antennas, Probe Expansion, Science, and Explorer folders. They'll be getting proper normal and specular maps as well, which previously had only been for the LVs and spacecraft. Because the internal names of the parts won't change, this SHOULD NOT BE SAVE BREAKING - provided you download both the Bluedog_DB and Bluedog_Probes (or whatever the name winds up being) folders. Since certain things in the normal Bluedog_DB folder would still depend on probe parts (the <0.625m decouplers, the Scimitar antenna for Apollo), we are going to have to figure out some sort of texture sharing - the probes would probably include dummy Bluedog_DB folders with only the necessary textures.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, after discussing it with @Jso and @akron, we are indeed going to be working on probes for a little bit (sorry for those that were waiting on Skylab, etc... I still want to get the last Apollo bits done ASAP. I just haven't been in a good environment for setting up my tablet lately, and, well, I wanted a change of pace), mostly finishing up all that stuff I modeled anywhere from February 2016 - almost a year ago! - to June of this year. The current probe stuff will, at long last, be split off from the mainline Bluedog_DB release - this includes, basically, everything in the Antennas, Probe Expansion, Science, and Explorer folders. They'll be getting proper normal and specular maps as well, which previously had only been for the LVs and spacecraft. Because the internal names of the parts won't change, this SHOULD NOT BE SAVE BREAKING - provided you download both the Bluedog_DB and Bluedog_Probes (or whatever the name winds up being) folders. Since certain things in the normal Bluedog_DB folder would still depend on probe parts (the <0.625m decouplers, the Scimitar antenna for Apollo), we are going to have to figure out some sort of texture sharing - the probes would probably include dummy Bluedog_DB folders with only the necessary textures.

Woo! The spectacular maps alone will make a big difference. Still planning on Sputnik 3? All the random Russian bits in BDB are just a little strange :D. Interesting antenna tho!

Just now, akron said:

Woo! The spectacular maps alone will make a big difference. Still planning on Sputnik 3? All the random Russian bits in BDB are just a little strange :D. Interesting antenna tho!

Well, at that point the couple random Russian bits would all be in the probes package. And yes, considering the thing has been 90% textured since August!

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, after discussing it with @Jso and @akron, we are indeed going to be working on probes for a little bit (sorry for those that were waiting on Skylab, etc... .

*dies from excessive crying* 

If you're taking any more suggestions on probe stuff I'd like to recommend the structural piece that separates the omni antenna and the main spacecraft on Mariner 2.

g6I7Y3G.png
s/o to my terrible handwriting....

I think It'd make replicas more accurate and it'd be easier to not have to tweakscale ugly structural girders anymore.

17 minutes ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

If you're taking any more suggestions on probe stuff I'd like to recommend the structural piece that separates the omni antenna and the main spacecraft on Mariner 2.

*snip*

I think It'd make replicas more accurate and it'd be easier to not have to tweakscale ugly structural girders anymore.

There are a number of experiments mounted there on Mariner 2 and Ranger, so it is not only a basic structural piece but has cutouts for things to be mounted. It should be easy to do :)

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

In what order can we expect things to come?

4 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

g6I7Y3G.png

Noted.

1 hour ago, Cdw2468 said:

In what order can we expect things to come?

Don't know. I want to see how many probe parts I can crank out. I tend to lose interest in them pretty quickly for some reason.

EDIT: If I do make the Ranger truss, someone has to promise to come up with a cool non-standard probe design using it.

Edited by CobaltWolf

43 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: If I do make the Ranger truss, someone has to promise to come up with a cool non-standard probe design using it.

Outboard mount for science/solar panels. Essentially a nice small structural piece earlier in the tech-tree. :wink: