[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, this happened today...

ildHJh1.png

Knumau4.png

OSO-Ball-Aerospace.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbiting_Solar_Observatory'

EDIT: On Github.

Something is not right here.
I am going to assume that soon, the Ranger probe core will have a second model?

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

11 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

I don't think Cobalt has it anymore, but I think he used tge structural beams (like the one you get at the beginning of Career) to mount the four Gemini docking ports on.

just tried it, it doesn't work. also if you look closely there is definitely something more substantial under those monopropellant tanks

27 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

just tried it, it doesn't work. also if you look closely there is definitely something more substantial under those monopropellant tanks

I believe it was a (possibly tweakscaled) Juno/Chryslus engine shroud, with 4 (again, possible tweakscaled) of the stock radial attach nodes stuck onto it.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I believe it was a (possibly tweakscaled) Juno/Chryslus engine shroud, with 4 (again, possible tweakscaled) of the stock radial attach nodes stuck onto it.

how exactly would one mount it on a rocket? the attach node is way up inside the engine fairing, and i would hate to see the entire thing explode because of 1 part

18 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

how exactly would one mount it on a rocket? the attach node is way up inside the engine fairing, and i would hate to see the entire thing explode because of 1 part

Interstage nodes on the fairing maybe? Then struts for good measure.

38 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Interstage nodes on the fairing maybe? Then struts for good measure.

small problem: there is no interstage node

sorry, i didn't get what you meant there lol. me and my stupid brain

Edited by Plecy75

2 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

The BDB fairings don't have those structural nodes above them like the stock ones? Oh, I must have said the wrong thing. Oops!

just updated my other post to reflect my stupidity

another thing: what's the Prometheus-III rated for in terms of payload to LKO?

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Plecy75 I stuffed some stuff inside. Fuel tanks or something.

well, i actually realized that the fairing trusses will probably work.

also, i was wondering what the payload rating was on the Prometheus-III, i don't know if it has the delta v to launch the station halves

4 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

also, i was wondering what the payload rating was on the Prometheus-III, i don't know if it has the delta v to launch the station halves

For a 1x system you should definitely be able to launch MOL on Prometheus III. A Sarnus IB works as well.

7 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

For a 1x system you should definitely be able to launch MOL on Prometheus III. A Sarnus IB works as well.

thanks! now to figure out how to fly anything on chrome remote desktop!

seriously tho, i need help with this!

Edited by Plecy75

I've noticed a little problem with the Kane LES. It flexes and wobbles like hell during the gravity turn, and tends to destabilize the rocket. Every time I put the LES on the rocket, I've had to use it, but when I leave it off, the rocket flies fine. I'm pretty sure the LES for the real Apollo LES didn't destabilize the entire rocket:P

1 hour ago, Plecy75 said:

I've noticed a little problem with the Kane LES. It flexes and wobbles like hell during the gravity turn, and tends to destabilize the rocket. Every time I put the LES on the rocket, I've had to use it, but when I leave it off, the rocket flies fine. I'm pretty sure the LES for the real Apollo LES didn't destabilize the entire rocket:P

Honestly I've never had that problem at all. My only suggestion would be to use kerbal joint reinforcement if you aren't already.

4 minutes ago, Jall said:

Honestly I've never had that problem at all. My only suggestion would be to use kerbal joint reinforcement if you aren't already.

i am, and it is still wobbling. i'm paying 1000 funds to throw away a 500K funds Sarnus V

25 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

i am, and it is still wobbling. i'm paying 1000 funds to throw away a 500K funds Sarnus V

Pics of the rocket with aero overlay open and drag/debug menu open on the LAS part?  Could be that the part is overly draggy but others are not noticing due to differences in craft design (e.g. they have fins / larger fins, so no flipping).

In SSTU I had to manually adjust the drag on the LAS/BPC parts to prevent unwanted rocket flipping on certain designs (the SSTU LAS towers also use shielding/occlusion code to hide the drag of the command pod they are attached to).  As a bonus it also results in better drag with the LAS installed than without it, so there is even a reason to use it in stock w/reverts/quicksaves/etc.

11 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

Pics of the rocket with aero overlay open and drag/debug menu open on the LAS part?  Could be that the part is overly draggy but others are not noticing due to differences in craft design (e.g. they have fins / larger fins, so no flipping).

In SSTU I had to manually adjust the drag on the LAS/BPC parts to prevent unwanted rocket flipping on certain designs (the SSTU LAS towers also use shielding/occlusion code to hide the drag of the command pod they are attached to).  As a bonus it also results in better drag with the LAS installed than without it, so there is even a reason to use it in stock w/reverts/quicksaves/etc.

i'll post a video of a Sarnus-IB flight with aero and debug as soon as i get home. i'm flying an exact replica based on the manual