[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

Pics of the rocket with aero overlay open and drag/debug menu open on the LAS part?  Could be that the part is overly draggy but others are not noticing due to differences in craft design (e.g. they have fins / larger fins, so no flipping).

In SSTU I had to manually adjust the drag on the LAS/BPC parts to prevent unwanted rocket flipping on certain designs (the SSTU LAS towers also use shielding/occlusion code to hide the drag of the command pod they are attached to).  As a bonus it also results in better drag with the LAS installed than without it, so there is even a reason to use it in stock w/reverts/quicksaves/etc.

I'm 99% certain it's the very heavy mass of the LES connected to the little docking port node. You can see it sink into the command pod just sitting on the pad. Autostrut to heaviest part fixes the unwanted movement.

8 minutes ago, Jso said:

I'm 99% certain it's the very heavy mass of the LES connected to the little docking port node. You can see it sink into the command pod just sitting on the pad. Autostrut to heaviest part fixes the unwanted movement.

That seems like a plausible explanation.  A wobbly LES (at the front of the rocket) would cause some... undesirable handling characteristics for everything behind it.  Probably never saw that problem on SSTU parts as the LES generally aren't that heavy, and I use size 2/3 (or larger) attach-nodes on everything.

18 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Or you could get KJR.

already have it. read the entire conversation before you suggest fixes, that way you won't suggest things that have already been tried.

Edited by Plecy75

12 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

ummm... is it normal to put a Sarnus-V with munar package in orbit with a half full second stage and full third stage?

On 10/11/2016 at 6:34 PM, CobaltWolf said:

NOTE – BDB is balanced to have parts inline with stock values. This means that the rockets significantly overperform in the stock system. The alternative would be to have parts that are very underpowered compared to contemporary parts. To achieve proper balance, we recommend using a 3.2x rescale, which requires rockets to be built with more realistic proportions.

Quoting myself to save time. Basically, the parts are all balanced against stock parts - same fuel amounts for a given volume of tankage, for example. The parts are modeled at the same scale as stock parts. It's just the stock system is too small. Rather than nerf everything to make it work in the stock system (thus making the parts useless compared to, say, Tantares) we just let the player decide whether they want to make the parts (and thus, all their other parts) perform more accurately.

6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Quoting myself to save time. Basically, the parts are all balanced against stock parts - same fuel amounts for a given volume of tankage, for example. The parts are modeled at the same scale as stock parts. It's just the stock system is too small. Rather than nerf everything to make it work in the stock system (thus making the parts useless compared to, say, Tantares) we just let the player decide whether they want to make the parts (and thus, all their other parts) perform more accurately.

Thanks, I was really surprised when that happened.

Another thing, why are the parts at a point in the tech tree where I have to do 3 Mun missions before I get the actual Sarnus-V first stage? (i still don't have the S-IVB guidance system!) I had to do 3 Kerbin Orbit Rendevous missions with the Sarnus-I before I got enough science. I now know why they went with the Lunar Orbit Rendevous system in the real world!

Edited by Plecy75

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

That moment when Cobalt quoted himself to save time and then proceeded to paraphrase his quote anyway...

This reminds me, have you tested any missions out to like Jool or anything with 2-3x scale? How's that dV? I will try this at some point but it's just I already have some dV and altitude values memorized... :(

58 minutes ago, Plecy75 said:

Thanks, I was really surprised when that happened.

Another thing, why are the parts at a point in the tech tree where I have to do 3 Mun missions before I get the actual Sarnus-V first stage? (i still don't have the S-IVB guidance system!) I had to do 3 Kerbin Orbit Rendevous missions with the Sarnus-I before I got enough science. I now know why they went with the Lunar Orbit Rendevous system in the real world!

Tech tree balance is currently being audited and pretty much completely redone by @minepagan

48 minutes ago, akron said:

That moment when Cobalt quoted himself to save time and then proceeded to paraphrase his quote anyway...

This reminds me, have you tested any missions out to like Jool or anything with 2-3x scale? How's that dV? I will try this at some point but it's just I already have some dV and altitude values memorized... :(

Can't say I have.

3 hours ago, akron said:

That's easy! 

Step 1: acquire stock system Delta-V map

Step 2: find total delta-v required for the trip you plan to take

Step 3: multiply this value by the square root of the rescale factor (ex: 3200 m/s * sqrt(3))

Step 4: ????

Step 5: Profit

Do that, and you should get a slightly generous, yet accurate, minimum delta-V requirement for any rescaled system.

21 minutes ago, Ralathon said:

The forum kraken ate a couple of threads. People are moaning about it while the devs are trying to salvage the data.

More than a couple. 25 went missing, including all the stickies that used to be on the first page of this sub forum.  Which has led me to speculate that it was any thread that was unlucky enough to be on the first page. 

One of those threads was the MechJeb thread

6 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

More than a couple. 25 went missing, including all the stickies that used to be on the first page of this sub forum.  Which has led me to speculate that it was any thread that was unlucky enough to be on the first page. 

One of those threads was the MechJeb thread

Although a side benefit is that the next-to-most-popular mods are now in the first page highlight... :wink: 

Edited by Beetlecat