[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@Drakenex I think that looks pretty great, although my memory made me think BDB already had a tank for that? I must be thinking Real Scale.

Cobalt (or one of his friends) caught me lurking on Twitch tonight. I do plan to make an RO config for one of the smaller Apollo service modules, since that makes way more sense for my RP-0 series, where I use Gemini-Direct to get to the Moon, and I'm only developing Apollo hardware to get 3 people into orbit, and do the other things. Not because it is easy, but because it is cost effective!

Thanks guys for this incredible mod! It's unbelievable!!!

Just one thing: in sarnus v type rocket, no matter what i do, CSM will not separate from the LEM when i open the pedal adapter. I've tried really everything. Is there something i'm missing??

Thanks in advance, Andrea. 

21 minutes ago, igiu83 said:

Thanks guys for this incredible mod! It's unbelievable!!!

Just one thing: in sarnus v type rocket, no matter what i do, CSM will not separate from the LEM when i open the pedal adapter. I've tried really everything. Is there something i'm missing??

Thanks in advance, Andrea. 

The CSM and LEM shouldn't be attached. The LEM is inside the petal adapter, and the adapter is attached to the CSM. After building the CSM, attach the petal adapter to the hidden node inside the SM engine so the adapter covers the engine. Then open the petal adapter. The LEM attaches to the floor of the petal adapter - not the CSM. It's possible to build the LEM bottom up or you can use a subassembly.

When you stage the petal adapter the doors should open and the CSM will detach and move away. Turn around and dock to the LEM. Once docked, right click on the petal adapter and you can decouple the CSM-LEM.

Welcome to the forums

anyone know if the custom texture cfg format is still working?

I've tried with

MODEL
{
   model = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S1E_Tankage
   scale = 1, 1.28, 1
   texture = bluedog_saturn1F , Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_saturn1F
}

but it's a no go

32 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

anyone know if the custom texture cfg format is still working?

I've tried with

MODEL
{
   model = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_Saturn_S1E_Tankage
   scale = 1, 1.28, 1
   texture = bluedog_saturn1F , Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_saturn1F
}

but it's a no go

the first part of the texture line should be the name of the original texture.

11 hours ago, Drakenex said:

amazing stream @CobaltWolf!!

Though it looked relatively fine I was not happy using Atlas V tank for the "Temp" Saturn Multibody Family, so I've painted and stretched the S1E, what do you guys think?

I'll take 100.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

11 hours ago, stratochief66 said:

@Drakenex I think that looks pretty great, although my memory made me think BDB already had a tank for that? I must be thinking Real Scale.

Cobalt (or one of his friends) caught me lurking on Twitch tonight. I do plan to make an RO config for one of the smaller Apollo service modules, since that makes way more sense for my RP-0 series, where I use Gemini-Direct to get to the Moon, and I'm only developing Apollo hardware to get 3 people into orbit, and do the other things. Not because it is easy, but because it is cost effective!

RSB has the Saturn Multibody tank right now. It's not a particular priority for me since it's basically just a marginal improvement and reskin over the S-1E stage already in the mod.

Yeah, that was me. Sounds good - if i keep bugging people for a part here or there to be made compatible eventually all 300-something parts will be :P

Spacelab II was a resounding success. After reconfiguring RaiderNick's Skylab to fit, and discovering that, no, you cannot actually use CADS and APAS together, no matter how mechanically similar they seem, the result is this:K6jqfL1.jpg

EDIT: I have grown tired of patching and patching. I have elected to de-orbit my station.

ivwU63N.png

With magic.

The next station will be all-new -- It will be called FREEDUM CHEEZBURGER.

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, that was me. Sounds good - if i keep bugging people for a part here or there to be made compatible eventually all 300-something parts will be :P

I know this is meant in jest, so :P yourself. :)

I've only got energy to do things that directly interest me, and most old RO members like myself are in the same boat. In my experience bugging doesn't result in more work being done, it drive away experienced people and leaves disappointed buggers.

I'm driving towards Mars Direct mid 80's, and dabbling in bits of a post moon landing space program (basic mission extensions like a lunar shelter, leo crew rotations and Saturn IB wetlab stations) that interest me. I've got most of what I need for the actual Mars Direct architecture planned coded, and built, I just need to determine and carry out the necessary precursor missions that prove out and progress Mars ISRU technology from scratch. Wet lab will be the hardest I think, and may require save file editing to alter the RealFuel tanks post-launch, but possibly not.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

RSB has the Saturn Multibody tank right now. It's not a particular priority for me since it's basically just a marginal improvement and reskin over the S-1E stage already in the mod.

yup, any fool can do it, like me :D. Fuel lines get in the way of solids though, I'll try to reverse engineer the tank and remove them (talking out of my butt, but who knows hehe)

Edited by Drakenex

12 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

I'll take 100.

sorry, we've ran out of orange foam, so I have only a couple for testing purposes.

Now, on a more serious note, I'll appreciate the feedback testing this, while I figure out how to do the pull request :)

Credits:

• All models and textures by @CobaltWolf
  • S-IVC mass, fuel and nodes calculation by @Jso
  • S1F calculations based on ETS Wiki

1 hour ago, Drakenex said:

sorry, we've ran out of orange foam, so I have only a couple for testing purposes.

Now, on a more serious note, I'll appreciate the feedback testing this, while I figure out how to do the pull request :)

Credits:

• All models and textures by @CobaltWolf
  • S-IVC mass, fuel and nodes calculation by @Jso
  • S1F calculations based on ETS Wiki

I'm looking it over now, although slowly due to... ethanol... >_>

But, question: In the S1F tank config, you have the y axis scaling by 1.28, but then the entire thing also scaling by 1.28. I don't think this will work as intended, although I need to load it up yet to see. KSP rescaling is my oldest and most savage modding friend >< It often doesn't do as expected. Similarly in the SRB7Seg, i'm not sure what the effect of stacking the scales does in this version of KSP.

It will be much easier to pull them into the repo as either legit or extras if the new parts are either in one MM patch, or at least broken out of their parent part config. It also allows for ease of scaling things like masses/dimensions with the arithmetic operators.

But, looks shiny on the whole!

Something like... Dis.

Spoiler

+PART[bluedog_Saturn_S4B_Tankage]
{
	@name = bluedog_Saturn_S4C_Tankage
	@MODEL
	{
		%scale = 1, 1.743, 1
	}
	@node_stack_top[1,,] *= 1.743
	@node_stack_bottom[1,,] *= 1.743

@title = Sarnus-SIVC-25K Liquid Fuel Tank
    @mass *= 2.2
    @description = S4C Placeholder. NEED MOAR BETTER DESCRIPTION.

@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen]
    {
        @amount *= 2.2
        @maxAmount *= 2.2
    }
    @RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
    {
        @amount *= 2.2
        @maxAmount *= 2.2
    }
}

+PART[bluedog_Saturn_S4B_EngineMount]
{
	@name = bluedog_Saturn_S4C_EngineMount
	@node_stack_engine2 = 0.7, -0.866, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	@node_stack_engine3 = -0.7, -0.866, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	@title = Sarnus-SIVC-25K Engine Mount
	%stackSymmetry = 1
	@description = S4C Engine Mount. MOAR BETTER DESC. ALSO NEEDED.
}

+PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1E_Tankage]
{
	@name = bluedog_Saturn_S1F_Tankage
	@author = CobaltWolf Feat. Drakenex
	@MODEL
	{
		@scale = 1, 1.28, 1
		@texture = bluedog_saturnV , Bluedog_DB/Parts/Saturn/bluedog_saturn1F
	}
	@scale = 1.28
	@entryCost = 64700
	@cost = 22233
	@title = Sarnus-SIF-18K Liquid Fuel Tank
	@description = Saturn Common Core, common first-stage core of all Multibody Vehicles.
	@mass = 11.725
	@tags = saturn 3.75m sarnus ?s1e ?sie first stage fuel tank large big multibody SCC

@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]
	{
		@amount = 8370
		@maxAmount = 8370
	}
	@RESOURCE[Oxidizer]
	{
		@amount = 10230
		@maxAmount = 10230
	}
}

+PART[bluedog_Apollo_Block3_MissionModule]
{
	@MODEL
	{
		%scale = 1, 0.8, 1
	}
	@rescaleFactor = 1.3333
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.7895192, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
	@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.7895192, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
	@entryCost = 18000
	@cost = 6500
	@title = Apollo CSM Block IV Orbital Mission Module
	@description = An improvement over the Block III+ service module; Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger... well, get the idea?
	@mass = 1.2
}

+PART[bluedog_Titan_SRB7seg]
{
	@name = bluedog_Titan_SRB7seg_Saturn
	@MODEL
	{
		%scale = 0.8, 0.67, 0.8
	}
	@scale = 0.67
	@node_attach = 1.2, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0
	@title = Sarnus-MB-UA1207 Solid Booster
	@description = Titan 7-segment solid rocket motor used on Sarnus Multibody.
	@mass = 6
	@tags = solid srb booster 1.875 1875 saturn Sarnus Multibody

@RESOURCE[SolidFuel]
	{
		@amount = 4755
		@maxAmount = 4755
	}
}

+PART[bluedog_Titan_SRBnose]
{
	@name = bluedog_Saturn_SRBnose
	@MODEL
	{
		%scale = 0.8, 0.9, 0.8
	}
	@scale = 0.9
	@tags = srb booster nose cone solid sep separation Saturn Sarnus Multibody
}

Edited by komodo
MM patch, HO!!!!

4 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Hmmm... are the HLR-OCO parts supposed to be so freaking heavy? The HLR-OCOs Solar Experiment Package weighs more than a fully fueled Viklun-60 tank, and the Solar Experiment Sail weighs more than a Belle-70 tank!

Too much Kerbatonium I guess. We'll divide those masses by 10 or 20 or something.