[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Hey everyone, I think (hope) the Peacekeeper related parts are now done! I spent some time recently adjusting the textures to try and keep them more in line with the Restock art style. If anyone has some free time, I'd appreciate some testing.

Things to check:

• Stock plume size and position
  • Real plume size and position
  • Is all the gimbal hardware oriented correctly and working?
  • Is all the texture switching working?

Pic tax, the Peacekeeper 4th stage now has physical holes and looks much much better IMO.

pQZIOk7.png

On 12/27/2018 at 5:35 AM, BillKerman123 said:

Couldn't you use thrust vectoring (you might need up to 20* of gimbal though), grid fins on the S-IC, or the elevons on the shuttle for control? What if you used all of them?

n a word. NO.   Simply put everything you propose could HELP but would obliterate the entire purpose of the exercise... To reduce Cost vs tank+2x SRB.   But let me break it down for you

S-1C changes proposed and result:

• F-1 engines with 20 degrees of Gimbal.    This one will literally double or WORSE the mass of a S-1C rocket stage.   HUGE cost increase. and the stage is now no longer capable of lifting itself plus a Shuttle/Hydrolox tank to the edge of space.
  • Grid Fins.   While the Soviet Union used them on several Rockets and Missiles prior to the RVV-AE prototypes to the R-77 "AA-12 Adder/Amramski".  Until the R-77 started testing, the western world pretty much dismissed them as a hoax or as an air-brake that gave some semblance of control.
  • Elevons on shuttle?  They were already there.    Adding additional control surfaces would only serve 2 purposes.  Increase the amount of lead ballast in the nose and further reduce the load capability of the space shuttle.

now if you want to talk about a way that the Saturn could be used to replace the Space shuttle....  Well then you kind of have to look at what McDonald Douglas was proposing for their Big-Gemini.   But most of what was said about that program... outside of the actual Big-G capsule itself or the various Service Modules is pure hype and no actual engineering of any form was thrown at it.

I have been experiencing this wierd problem, as soon as I reach orbit the engine clips into the back of the ship and causes a catastrophic failure lol.  It started happening after installing this mod and was hoping someone had some insight.  Great mod tho.

Small update up on Github - slightly redone mini radial decoupler, redone Perfectrons (the perfectron and retrotron were merged) and the new medium radial decoupler. :)

zsytG8L.pngfKFDiMB.png

ipFymfu.png

On 12/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, Siet said:

I have been experiencing this wierd problem, as soon as I reach orbit the engine clips into the back of the ship and causes a catastrophic failure lol.  It started happening after installing this mod and was hoping someone had some insight.  Great mod tho.

Sorry, I have no idea why that would happen.

On 12/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, Siet said:

Siet, first welcome to the forums.  2nd, we would need a LOT more data before we could answer what is happening.   As no-one else seems to have this issue we couldn't begin to guess by just the symptom.

Follow the linked information to provide the kind of information that the mod developer would need to help you please.

We're in the home stretch for the release everyone, so anyone interested in helping beta test please keep refreshing your install each time you go to play. In the meantime, here's some test launches of a Scout and an Advanced Scout.

F4rLhDF.png8NOXf8P.pngIOAl6bI.pngbIQKDUa.pngRjW1bvE.pngpiTI6ip.pngq6xPK9i.png07WFCxR.png

On 1/3/2019 at 6:16 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Share pics! I'm not sure I've seen them getting used yet, just the big ion. :)

Sure!

MoryAqQ.png

Batteries, auxiliary monopropellant bottles, and solar panels are from @akron's fantastic Probes Plus! pack. Everything else comes from BDB. (For those who don't have PP, it goes really well with BDB. Highly recommend it for the synergy, but the added science parts don't hurt. ;) )

IWGcjI6.png

Val for scale, for those who aren't familiar with just how tiny this thing is. The PIBS booster, along with the two additional bottles of MP and the pod's built-in supply, is adequate for a single excursion from a moderately inclined 30 km orbit over Minmus, to the surface, and back to the mothership. Just took Jeb for a whirl in one last night, but due to a lack of extra MP, it'll have to be discarded after this mission. Future motherships will have larger caches of MP to rectify that issue.

Edited by MaverickSawyer
*double facepalm* Had the monoprop bottles right the first time...

@MaverickSawyer that lander is very cool. I was actually just working on my own lander using that BDB part in my career save but I don't have ion propulsion yet. I gotta finish it and post the pics. I think you just helped me figure out something I needed to do on mine. Well done!

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Share pics! I'm not sure I've seen them getting used yet, just the big ion. :)

The ion rcs is literally my favourite part. I sometimes wish for a five ways one though as well - or a monoprop version. That would be the most ironic part ever... 

7 hours ago, plausse said:

The ion rcs is literally my favourite part. I sometimes wish for a five ways one though as well - or a monoprop version. That would be the most ironic part ever... 

Heck, even a 4-way ion RCS would be a godsend.

Re: Monoprop: check Probes Plus!... That has a really nice compact, low-thrust RCS quad I regularly use for docking ships and station modules. (Yes, I'm one of those guys who is crazy efficient at docking.)

I've been refusing to do much with trailing smoke until now because of issues with how the prefab smoke plumes work, and lack of experience dealing with trailing smoke at high velocities. Two problems at least: Only those cut out at < 1kPa of atmosphere and the toggle for this is not provided in PartTools; KSP does not provide the proper reference frame for trailing particles at orbital speeds/in vacuum. The known reference frames are

• Absolute (considering only the world and assuming it's non-moving. Fine for trailing smoke as long as velocities are very low)
  • Absolute (considering only the emitter and ignoring the world moving around it)
  • Relative (considering the emitter's motion through space and inheriting momentum into the particles themselves) is the missing reference frame.

That said, the linked video shows my departure from stockalike (left) and highlights trailing plumes. I'm trying to capture the essence of the flight of Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo and adapt this to typical SRM sizes, and not have them easily confused for the "Generic" series Kerolox LFO plumes I'm also making.

@Jso Ping!

17 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

...smoke...

I've just been throwing fx_smokeTrail_medium on the solids. I need to go back and fix it though because I don't like how it stops when the thrust drops (we use thrust curves).

One thing to watch is not overdoing it since we don't want to grind the slower computers to a halt. It will never be SmokeScreen smoke.

On 12/30/2018 at 10:16 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Small update up on Github -

zsytG8L.png

So I like to test parts on Space-planes before putting them on rockets.   For decouplers one of my tests is an Unloaded GEM-60 mounted on the SPINE of a Space Plane.  Does the Decoupler at mach 3+ cleanly separate it.   

This Medium Decoupler is Amazing.   10 tests at 1km and 2330m/s no tail strikes.   The force settings are about prefect for a GEM46/GEM60 payload.   For KSP level explodieness I consider a part *GOOD* if 6 out of 10 separations are strike free!

Lets not talk about what happens to the drone cores on my test bird a few seconds AFTER I do the tests....   They tend to go into Plasma blackout and tumble or worse overheat and explode.

Edited by Pappystein
edit twix the Astrixes

Hi. tnx for this mod.

I am using RSS|RO

But, say me, please: I am build rocket/ Using for this your arcraft.cfg files. It is gemimi-titan, But, after finish I see delta - it is near 7000m/s. It is very low delta for orbit in RSS

How fix that?

Here is screenshot

https://b.radikal.ru/b27/1901/e5/b916fa72e713.png

Edited by Irenicus