[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I know this is kind of late, but to me the satellites and the truss structure are too small. In all the concept artist renditions you've shown, they show the truss structure is the same width as the Transstage. And I think the real life photo in your same posts shows the truss baseplate is wider than you have it in game. 

Why the size difference?

The truss isn't a 100% match to make it flexible in KSP. The scale of the satellites etc is correct.

Some shots from last night, after the stream...

Thor / Agena A

oOefobR.png
VCbVywX.png
c4ocyY0.png
58ToMe9.png

Thrust Augmented Thor (TAT) / Agena-B

I don't believe this was a real configuration, but yeah. Note the pairs of ullage motors, one pair for each burn.

q2467tk.png
4ejaa1E.png
IixlEiH.png
izG9ShI.png
wywDnVW.png
ROpVQ2T.png
mVw9lwf.png
fmyQyUh.png
VsMY3mp.png
JXATWPO.png

Thorad / Agena-D

EI users will note that the Agena-D lacks ullage requirements, due to its unique sump tank system.

xUeEYfl.png
29iaejf.png
604ioqk.png
vtIYMbV.png
sXj350d.png
1h1tTfm.png
OZC2D6p.png
slRV1kB.png
0fPZPyk.png
7QxLB0v.png

And an extra little surprise... I want to make the Delta and Agena parts legoable. I need to make a variant of the Delta P/K texture that gives them a more traditional paint scheme.

In the meantime, enjoy these... (I know I probably need to make an even longer extension of the Delta interstage.
Though, someone also pointed out you could stick the miniskirt on the interstage node for the engine mount and that would probably be cool too!)

GTUt5Pi.png

(Because someone asked -the little thing caught in the bottom of this pic is just the Agena D Equipment Rack, it was a little too close when I took the screen)

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Soo... is Thorad like a TAT crossed with a long-tank Thor? And if so, what's the difference between Thorad and Delta 0300 other than the upper stage?

Thorad is the Air Force designation, stemming from the original... Douglas? I think that's who would have been making Thor at the time, stemming from a series of proposed upgrades called the "THOR ADvanced". The basic relationship in the 60s between Air Force Thor and NASA Delta development was the Air Force would pay for upgrades (Thrust augmentation, Long Tank Thor, I mean you can even think of the move from the Able type stages to the Ablestar type stages for Delta as part of this), and then once they were flying Douglas (I think) would turn and sell the upgrades to NASA for Delta. Thorad is for all intents and purposes the same as Long Tank Thor, like you said just with a different upper stage. The LTT Deltas even used some of the same interstage adapter structures and 5ft fiberglass fairing as the Agena.

15 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

1) Go to Github from link in OP

2) Click "Bluedog-Design-Bureau" link on top of the page

3) Click the "Clone or download" green button, choose "Download ZIP", download ZIP

4) Open the ZIP you just downloaded, go to "Craft Files" folder, and here you go.

You are a good person, Thank you.

wait I only wanna download the craft files, not the mod itself

I already have mod but the craft files are glitching so im tryna fix

3 minutes ago, Hadron27 said:

You are a good person, Thank you.

wait I only wanna download the craft files, not the mod itself

I already have mod but the craft files are glitching so im tryna fix

The updated craft files will be included in the next release. If you want to grab them right now without downloading the whole github master, click the link for the zip in the last comment on this thread:

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/681

How is the bluedog_SpinDecoupler_p3125m (0.3125m Spin Decoupler) meant to be used?

I mean, the built in solid fuel thrusters start firing in the same moment the decoupling happens, so I could see the still firing decoupler go away - and the vessel did not get a lot of spin at all.

Is this a case for action groups?

1 minute ago, Gordon Dry said:

How is the bluedog_SpinDecoupler_p3125m (0.3125m Spin Decoupler) meant to be used?

I mean, the built in solid fuel thrusters start firing in the same moment the decoupling happens, so I could see the still firing decoupler go away - and the vessel did not get a lot of spin at all.

I just set an action group to activate the spin motors shortly before depletion of the upper stage and then stage the decoupler when they burn out.

It actually looks like it's a WIP spin table. It should be a robotic part that would, on staging, unlock, spin up, then decouple. Presumably, the plugin component to allow it to do that isn't done yet.

@CobaltWolf, can you confirm or deny? :) This part really intrigues me.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't believe this was a real configuration, but yeah. Note the pairs of ullage motors, one pair for each burn.

It was real. :) Thor SLV-2A Agena B. It launched the Nimbus 2 satellite and a P-102 ELINT satellite:
samos-f2__1.jpg
That's actually a Samos F2 sat, but P-102 was similar, being from the same program.

Edited by Guest

SRzV0kt.jpg

Delta II made out of the new parts.

To make the Delta II tank with the new parts, I used: 
Fenris 1300 Upper Stage Tank
Fenris 1300 Lower Stage Tank
Fenris 800 Tank

The tank is longer below the Ribbed section than it is above it, but this was the only way to get the right tank length. Even then this configuration is just a tiny big too long compared to the Daleth II tanks. 

Also, this custom configuration actually has less fuel even though it's longer. 

Daleth II total fuel = 4000
Fenris custom Delta II First stage tank = 3400

It still gets the job done, putting a payload into pretty much any orbit up to or below Keostationary, but it's still a limiting factor. 

Edited by GoldForest

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Ah, Okay. 

Titan Delta Agena?

Pretty much. The SOLTANs were overpowered for Delta though esp with the engine ground lit (I dont throttle on ascent) and that was with thrust limited to 66%. For this launcher in the future I might switch to using the RS27A config and air start it at some point during the SRB burn.

The Engine Ignitor configs allow for air starting the RS27A variant, all the other variants of the LR79 need external ignitors from a launch clamp. I set up the config this way so that anyone who wants to build MDD Barbarian can still do so even with Engine Ignitor installed :)

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Pretty much. The SOLTANs were overpowered for Delta though esp with the engine ground lit (I dont throttle on ascent) and that was with thrust limited to 66%. For this launcher in the future I might switch to using the RS27A config and air start it at some point during the SRB burn.

The Engine Ignitor configs allow for air starting the RS27A variant, all the other variants of the LR79 need external ignitors from a launch clamp. I set up the config this way so that anyone who wants to build MDD Barbarian can still do so even with Engine Ignitor installed :)

I'd say do it like Titan III/IV. Start the fuel engine 10 seconds before SRB burn out

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I'd say do it like Titan III/IV. Start the fuel engine 10 seconds before SRB burn out

I think the TWR would be too low at that point with a single RS27a with an extended long tank, need to burn off more fuel. Will have to experiment a bit. Its not an ideal combination of parts for sure. But it looks pretty cool :)

Edit: looks like the RS27A has enough thrust over the LR79 that in this configuration an air start at SRB burnout is actually feasible 0_0

Edited by Zorg

I’m loving the new Delta texture variants! I’m wondering I’m if you have any plans to add a variant to the Thor engine fairing; while the Thor engine fairing is quite similar to the Delta II’s, the Delta II’s fairings have some more greebles on the side, and a blue colored bottom. You did this with the old Delta II engine. Is this planned for the feature?

Edited by Invaderchaos
typo

20 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

20 hours ago, Mudwig said:

I just set an action group to activate the spin motors shortly before depletion of the upper stage and then stage the decoupler when they burn out.

20 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Mudwig SmartParts I guess?

20 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

It actually looks like it's a WIP spin table. It should be a robotic part that would, on staging, unlock, spin up, then decouple. Presumably, the plugin component to allow it to do that isn't done yet.

@CobaltWolf, can you confirm or deny? :) This part really intrigues me.

19 hours ago, Friznit said:

The spin table decoupler isn't fully functional yet.

I can't implement any sort of plugin and... frankly don't give enough of a crap to implement solutions for both BG and IR-Next? The goal was to use a dummy animation and the animated decoupler module to make it so the decoupler stages once the spin is achieved... I guess that would also make the upper stage spin but w/e. It was an attempt, I spent like an hour trying to get it to work the day I got it in game, and haven't gone back to it yet.

20 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

It was real. :) Thor SLV-2A Agena B. It launched the Nimbus 2 satellite and a P-102 ELINT satellite:

That's actually a Samos F2 sat, but P-102 was similar, being from the same program.

Ah, indeed you're right! I didn't know that. Only two launches and it kinda gets folded in with the TAT / Agena Ds.

13 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Delta II made out of the new parts.

To make the Delta II tank with the new parts, I used: 
Fenris 1300 Upper Stage Tank
Fenris 1300 Lower Stage Tank
Fenris 800 Tank

Daleth II total fuel = 4000
Fenris custom Delta II First stage tank = 3400

It still gets the job done, putting a payload into pretty much any orbit up to or below Keostationary, but it's still a limiting factor. 

Hmm, I'd hoped that the long B9 switches of both the straight tanks would be enough to be right for the Delta II? They're a little plain in the blue texture variant though, will need to address that...

3 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

I’m loving the new Delta texture variants! I’m wondering I’m if you have any plans to add a variant to the Thor engine fairing; while the Thor engine fairing is quite similar to the Delta II’s, the Delta II’s fairings have some more greebles on the side, and a blue colored bottom. You did this with the old Delta II engine. Is this planned for the feature?

Yeah, my basic plan is to just sort of... rip out the RS-27 and verniers from the Delta engine mount and try to save what's left of it. The GEMs need some slight touchups (if nothing else I'm just better at matching the texturing to the Restock style now) and... yeah.

I'm a little bit burnt at the moment / have stuff picking up a bit for IRL work / not really rushing since I think my next... two? three? weekends are spoken for. But in the meantime...

0F9AmkX.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Hi - just migrating my save to 1.8 today and including your newest official build. I've noticed a possible bug with the antennae.. Certain models e.g. the WPT Scimitar don't seem to be functioning anymore. Odd thing is I also cannot see any data rates or module information in the VAB when you hover over an item - they used to be there.

Other variants such as the Sonne-MBM-LGCA are working.... with associated data in the VAB.

It could be a conflict granted, so before I go hunting can anyone else confirm or deny ?

Cheers

SJ

Edited by serjames

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hmm, I'd hoped that the long B9 switches of both the straight tanks would be enough to be right for the Delta II? They're a little plain in the blue texture variant though, will need to address...

Well, I'm comparing the Fenris tanks to the Daleth tanks.

6 hours ago, serjames said:

Hi - just migrating my save to 1.8 today and including your newest official build. I've noticed a possible bug with the antennae.. Certain models e.g. the WPT Scimitar don't seem to be functioning anymore. Odd thing is I also cannot see any data rates or module information in the VAB when you hover over an item - they used to be there.

Other variants such as the Sonne-MBM-LGCA are working.... with associated data in the VAB.

It could be a conflict granted, so before I go hunting can anyone else confirm or deny ?

Cheers

SJ

You're not the first person to report something like that, but I have no clue what would cause it.

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Well, I'm comparing the Fenris tanks to the Daleth tanks.

And I made sure the length of the long variant of both Fenris tanks matched the total length of the two Daleth tanks. It probably hasn't received a proper balance pass yet.

Some light reading that I found very engaging while looking for reference for some payload stuff for this update, I'd recommend giving it a read.

Editing to add this second article, I need to adjust the part list I think

RG0i4YN.png

vJ5N8hD.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

And I made sure the length of the long variant of both Fenris tanks matched the total length of the two Daleth tanks. It probably hasn't received a proper balance pass yet.

Well something must have gone wrong during unity exporting, 'cause they are no where near the same length.

Daleth tanks left - Fenris stretched tanks right.

hI967Vj.jpg

The Fenris tanks also lower the ribbed section at least a meter or two. .

It's not till I add the Fenris-400 tank that the Fenris Delta II becomes as long as the total length of the Daleth II first stage.
UjI30rC.jpg

Edited by GoldForest

Hi !

As said earlier, I play real historical missions with BDB in  a 2.5 scaled system.

I heard about change the size of real playloads to match with the scale. It is just 1/4 of the real weight ? If not, is there a formula to do the math ?

Thanks