[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Quick 2 cents:

1) New Gemini SMs: additional propellant brought back the old dV. Unfortunately, OMS engines remain the same 1kN puffers - even 4 of them give only 40% of old thrust. I suggest adding a B9 profile with 5 kN thrust, 0.5 monoprop\sec, etc - in other words, 50% of the old SM. Or maybe 25% of the old SM, so four nodes could find some use.

2) Just noticed this: Hermes-Muo 1.25m interstage. Since Muo designation is now used only for Atlas V, shouldn't it be Hermes-Bossart?

On 5/15/2020 at 2:27 PM, biohazard15 said:

Quick 2 cents:

1) New Gemini SMs: additional propellant brought back the old dV. Unfortunately, OMS engines remain the same 1kN puffers - even 4 of them give only 40% of old thrust. I suggest adding a B9 profile with 5 kN thrust, 0.5 monoprop\sec, etc - in other words, 50% of the old SM. Or maybe 25% of the old SM, so four nodes could find some use.

2) Just noticed this: Hermes-Muo 1.25m interstage. Since Muo designation is now used only for Atlas V, shouldn't it be Hermes-Bossart?

1) the simple fact is the old Gemini was very unrealistic and overpowered. Take it up with NASA I suppose? :P You can easily add 4, 6 etc thrusters.

2) Good catch, idk how that happened.

A small thing, not in game yet... the Gemini Rendezvous/Radar Evaluation Pod. Effectively a battery, some antennas, a radar transponder, and some blinking lights.

Designed to help test the Gemini radar system and practice rendezvous techniques, it fits in the 'trunk' of the SM. Hopefully its fun for people to take up on one of their early missions :)

BzkWxNA.png
mtXD0av.png

Okay, so just updated to the current version, but I'm getting a weird interaction with RemoteTech in that all the probes and such aren't being recognized and I'm always in local control and unable to transmit science or anything.  Do I need to individually move the patches from "Compatibility" to another folder or something?  I was under the impression it should still read no matter where it was in the structure?

50 minutes ago, CAPFlyer said:

Do I need to individually move the patches from "Compatibility" to another folder

No! Leave them there. It looks like the RemoteTech files were last updated 17 months ago, so they're going to be a little out of date :/

Anyone have an idea how Saturn V-4X(U) should work?

http://www.astronautix.com/s/saturnv-4xu.html

It's one of the most kerbal ting I ever read, strap four 2-stage Saturn V together but I have no idea how it should strap together or where the payload should go as it have 4 upper stages and there is no drawing of this thing

Edited by derega16

9 minutes ago, derega16 said:

It's one of the most kerbal ting I ever read, strap four 2-stage Saturn V together but I have no idea how it should strap together or where the payload should go as it have 4 upper stages and there is no drawing of this thing

How should the Saturn V-4X(U) work? By obliterating Cape Canaveral from the sound of it.

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

I have no idea how this would fit together, but damn am I excited to build this with BDB!

3 hours ago, derega16 said:

Jesus, that thing would literally obliterate Florida. Would be cool to see it made with BDB.

On 5/17/2020 at 12:07 AM, CobaltWolf said:

the simple fact is the old Gemini was very unrealistic and overpowered. Take it up with NASA I suppose?

This is probably where we should draw a border between "realistic but still fun" and "so realistic is stops to be fun".

Old Gemini was the first - not quite realistic, but still a fun and useful little ship. Moreover, it was nicely placed between Mercury (a simple, LEO-and-back ship) and Apollo (advanced thing for Moon missions and possibly beyond) in terms of thrust, dV etc.

New Gemini is basically an Advanced, 2-man Mercury. I agree that it's realistic. Problem is, it's TOO realistic to be FUN. Technically, it can do all the things the old one could do... if you don't mind to waaaAAAAAAit.

Please, for the love of God, include an optional "non-realistic" config for OMS engines.

21 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

This is probably where we should draw a border between "realistic but still fun" and "so realistic is stops to be fun".

Old Gemini was the first - not quite realistic, but still a fun and useful little ship. Moreover, it was nicely placed between Mercury (a simple, LEO-and-back ship) and Apollo (advanced thing for Moon missions and possibly beyond) in terms of thrust, dV etc.

New Gemini is basically an Advanced, 2-man Mercury. I agree that it's realistic. Problem is, it's TOO realistic to be FUN. Technically, it can do all the things the old one could do... if you don't mind to waaaAAAAAAit.

Please, for the love of God, include an optional "non-realistic" config for OMS engines.

I find that the new Gemini is perfectly fine for most LKO ops. You can always just add more thrusters on if you need to, or even edit the config yourself. The fact is that in real life, Gemini was basically an advanced, two man Mercury. It was literally called "Mercury Mark II" early in development. 

28 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

I honestly don't see what you're complaining about , I have had no problems using the new Gemini and actually prefer it to the old one . Add more thrusters , make your own config or learn how to use realistic Gemini I guess .

12 minutes ago, VektorWorlds said:

or even edit the config yourself.

That's what I plan to do as soon as the new Gemini specs are finalised - unless Cobalt adds some oomph to the puffers new OMS thrusters.

14 minutes ago, VektorWorlds said:

You can always just add more thrusters on if you need to

5 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Add more thrusters

Little problem here: only 4 (ATM) nodes for thrusters. And I outright refuse to use offset in order to place these. Old ones came built-in, by the way.

You can ignore me as some cantankerous oldtimer, but all I'm asking for is the old performance! I really like the new visuals, and I don't want do drop them because they come with "ooohhh so realistic" package.

3 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

You can ignore me as some cantankerous oldtimer, but all I'm asking for is the old performance! I really like the new visuals, and I don't want do drop them because they come with "ooohhh so realistic" package.

I can sympathize... the updated Gus Bus can feel a bit sluggish, but it takes all of 30s the edit the CFG to adjust the thrust. Modding KSP is all about tailoring the game to your personal preference, and sometimes that involves tinkering with the CFGs.

4 minutes ago, somnambulist said:

but it takes all of 30s the edit the CFG to adjust the thrust. Modding KSP is all about tailoring the game to your personal preference, and sometimes that involves tinkering with the CFGs.

I know, okay! But if I can do something to influence the new specs, I'll do that :)

How about just using a different engine? It's not like BDB has a shortage of engines, both big and small. I'm sure one of these would do. You don't have to only outfit the Gemini with parts that have "Gemini" in the name, you know?

On 5/16/2020 at 11:13 PM, Jso said:

No! Leave them there. It looks like the RemoteTech files were last updated 17 months ago, so they're going to be a little out of date :/

Okay, so what can I do in the meantime?  I'm not confident enough to go through that many patches to do anything.

8 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Okay, so what can I do in the meantime?  I'm not confident enough to go through that many patches to do anything.

The BDB team generally don't have the time to write most 3rd party compatibility patches. Usually the ones we manage to update are for those mods we personally use and I dont think any of us use remote tech. Most of the compatibility patches are submitted by users so its up to the community to submit an update.

I vaguely recall a couple of offers to write updates but nothing ever came of it.

Edited by Zorg