[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Hello ... I need help figuring out this heating issue with the Staara SRM. The picture shows my problem ... the SRM is heating up the decoupler beyond its limit, and it goes BOOM before we have the necessary velocity to make the moon. This makes us unhappy and is too much like real life.

All the decouplers at this size have the same stats, and die the same. I've tried the Staara at thrust limits of 70 and 100, same results. I wouldn't be able to do this at 100 anyway ... that's well over 9g's at the end of the burn and leaves me like 0.000002 seconds margin of error for the shutdown, and I'm too old for that. Anyway ...

So, is it normal for an SRM to transfer so much heat to an adjacent part? Is there something I should do differently?

Spoiler

wn6du5f.jpg

On 9/25/2020 at 5:18 PM, Zorg said:

Yeah the old Ranger was mostly incomplete. All new fancy parts have been made and are in the github development branch. We are trying to push out a new release as soon as we can. Looks like Friznit might have jumped the gun a little by putting the new Rangers on the probe page here https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Satellites. The new upcoming stuff is meant to be confined to the "Issues" section https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/issues/43 until the next release.

Thanks Zorg. I will wait for your team to complete the updates. I just wanted to make sure that I was not missing something due to a gooned up install.

1 hour ago, Yuriy Istochnikov said:

To what mod belongs that Soyuz Capsule?

Almost all the parts on the Soyuz are from Tantares, except for one cherrypicked decoupler (the green chord laying across the capsule) from this mod:

All of the parts are scaled up for RSS so what I do use from that mod are resized with Tweakscale. :)

13 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Hello ... I need help figuring out this heating issue with the Staara SRM. The picture shows my problem ... the SRM is heating up the decoupler beyond its limit, and it goes BOOM before we have the necessary velocity to make the moon. This makes us unhappy and is too much like real life.

All the decouplers at this size have the same stats, and die the same. I've tried the Staara at thrust limits of 70 and 100, same results. I wouldn't be able to do this at 100 anyway ... that's well over 9g's at the end of the burn and leaves me like 0.000002 seconds margin of error for the shutdown, and I'm too old for that. Anyway ...

So, is it normal for an SRM to transfer so much heat to an adjacent part? Is there something I should do differently?

Just tried that build, and can confirm this problem - Aquila does overheat tiny decouplers.

22 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Probably a bug with the heat balancing patch. Its being looked at.

Edit: looks like JSO pushed a fix just as I was typing this.

57 minutes ago, derega16 said:

I'm thinking about install connected living space for my next science run. Are Gemini revamped heat shield comparable with it?

I don't believe that it is. CLS configs for BDB had always been user submitted so we would always appreciate a PR that takes care of all the relevant parts parts in a sensible way. In fact that file looks like it was last edited 4 years ago :P

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/v1.7.0-Development/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/ConnectedLivingSpace/CLSBluedogDB.cfg

Edited by Zorg

22 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

9 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Just tried that build, and can confirm this problem - Aquila does overheat tiny decouplers.

I think I've got this dealt with so try it again. It would have been the solids with variants that have different fuel loads that had the problem.

To answer the question, overheating is not normal and it's not you, so please continue to report stuff like this. Thanks!

Hello guys,

First of all, thanks for the amazing work. 

Now, I've install the last version of this mod on a 1.8 KSP install (with Realism Overhaul and Real Solar System). 
These mods have resized (I think) most of the parts, so I'm not able to build the saturn V rocket. 
I've installed the Tweakscale Mod but 2 parts are not resizable (at least).  It's the "Sarnus - SIVB Interstage Adapter" and the "Sarnus SIC FE5M Engine Mount"

So I have 2 questions :
- have I done something wrong?
- how can I make these 2 parts scalable? 

I have no skill in 3D modeling but I know github and some programming language. So maybe I can undestand some config file to make the parts scalable (to be honest, I've already tried to change some files, but without success)

Thanks a lot

23 minutes ago, BIlly59 said:

Hello guys,

First of all, thanks for the amazing work. 

Now, I've install the last version of this mod on a 1.8 KSP install (with Realism Overhaul and Real Solar System). 
These mods have resized (I think) most of the parts, so I'm not able to build the saturn V rocket. 
I've installed the Tweakscale Mod but 2 parts are not resizable (at least).  It's the "Sarnus - SIVB Interstage Adapter" and the "Sarnus SIC FE5M Engine Mount"

So I have 2 questions :
- have I done something wrong?
- how can I make these 2 parts scalable? 

I have no skill in 3D modeling but I know github and some programming language. So maybe I can undestand some config file to make the parts scalable (to be honest, I've already tried to change some files, but without success)

Thanks a lot

These parts are scaleable in the provided tweakscale configs. I would suggest following up with the tweakscale thread if you still have issues after everything is installed. I dont know how Realism Overhaul interacts with tweakscale but I am not sure that its supported for RO and if something needs to be changed.

You can see how the configs are made here and the two parts are covered. I have tweakscaled them in the past so I know the configs for the two parts work : https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/blob/v1.7.0-Development/Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Compatibility/ConnectedLivingSpace/CLSBluedogDB.cfg

If the issue is more about correct scaling to begin with in Realism Overhaul then I dont think much will happen on that front immediately so you may need to work something out yourself. BDB RO configs had been quite incomplete for a while until McDouble updated the vast majority of them, I do recall him saying he didnt review the Saturn stuff since its due to be remade completely soon.

If the issue is more about correct scaling to begin with in Realism Overhaul

That's what I was afraid of.

If you say everything should be ok on your side, then it must be a side-effect from Realism Overhaul. 
I don't know yet how the differents mods interact, but it seems the RO mod prevent some of your parts to be scalable. I'm going to search. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

especially the solar panel looks really cool!

The Solar Panel looks like it is from SSTU.  Beyond that I have no idea (although I think Probes plus has some new parts)

I used to use that but the 0.625 size restrictions can limit its use with BDB.

*that means SSTU does not like the logical but "custom" sizes that BDB and many other mods use, EG their RS68 is 3.75m and does not fit well on a 3.125m tank stack (unless you don't want the boat-tail)   Docking ports are 0.625 or 1.25m only etc.*

I used to use the DOS station parts from SSTU with the BDB's and similar 0.9375 docking ports.  But the actual multi-port node would look wonky.

SSTU however is about the best place to get really good looking solar Panels.   (they have the sunset effect baked into them so they are golden at many view angles but Blue in others as can be seen above.)    They may not have the individuality on their texture like BDB, Coatal, NearFuture etc can, but they are the only ones that have a chameleon look for sun exposure angle.

Edited by Pappystein

1 hour ago, Tweak[Box] said:

Are the Fairings now working in KSP 1.10?

My fairings still doesn't work and I was curious if i just missed an update or something.

I am using the 1.6.3 version of BDB.

-snip-

Do you have SAF Fairings installed by any chance? 

17 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

Do you have SAF Fairings installed by any chance? 

Nope...

Here's my GameData folder contents

Spoiler

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_TexturesUnlimited
001_ToolbarControl
999_Scale_Redist.dll
AnimatedDecouplers
AstronomersVisualPack
B9PartSwitch
Bluedog_DB
Chatterer
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConnectedLivingSpace
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DMagicScienceAnimate
DynamicBatteryStorage
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
ForScience
HeatControl
InterstellarFuelSwitch
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
KopernicusExpansion
Luciole
MechJeb2
MechJebForAll
MoarFilterExtensionConfigs
ModularLaunchPads
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
PatchManager
PlanetShine
RCSBuildAid
RealChute
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
ReStock
ReStockPlus
SafeChute
SCANsat
scatterer
Sigma
SmokeScreen
Squad
SquadExpansion
StationPartsExpansionRedux
SunflaresOfMaar
Tantares
TantaresLV
TantaresSP
TweakScale
WildBlueIndustries
ZeroMiniAVC
zFinal_FilterExtensions

2 hours ago, Tweak[Box] said:

Nope...

Here's my GameData folder contents

Reveal hidden contents

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_FilterExtensions
000_FilterExtensions_Configs
000_TexturesUnlimited
001_ToolbarControl
999_Scale_Redist.dll
AnimatedDecouplers
AstronomersVisualPack
B9PartSwitch
Bluedog_DB
Chatterer
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ConnectedLivingSpace
CryoEngines
CryoTanks
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DMagicScienceAnimate
DynamicBatteryStorage
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
ForScience
HeatControl
InterstellarFuelSwitch
KerbalAtomics
KerbalEngineer
KopernicusExpansion
Luciole
MechJeb2
MechJebForAll
MoarFilterExtensionConfigs
ModularLaunchPads
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
NearFutureAeronautics
NearFutureConstruction
NearFutureElectrical
NearFutureExploration
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
NearFutureProps
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSpacecraft
PatchManager
PlanetShine
RCSBuildAid
RealChute
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
ReStock
ReStockPlus
SafeChute
SCANsat
scatterer
Sigma
SmokeScreen
Squad
SquadExpansion
StationPartsExpansionRedux
SunflaresOfMaar
Tantares
TantaresLV
TantaresSP
TweakScale
WildBlueIndustries
ZeroMiniAVC
zFinal_FilterExtensions

Which version of the game are you on exactly? BDB v 1.6.3 stock type fairings work with KSP 1.10.1 but it does NOT work in KSP 1.10.0 specifically.