[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, Delta dart said:

In other news were the porthole windows for the leo pod there to re-create Gemini-1?

You mean Gemini-I (upper case i, for Interceptor) from the Blue Gemini series? In which case, yes. Though, interestingly, they were also added because they feature in proposals for Gemini ferry vehicles. Of course, those also had extra hatches... uhm... on the hatch. For some reason.
0hwQEpM.png

14 hours ago, Delta dart said:

When I heard the keyhole satellites were being added to BDB I got real excited because I thought that KH-9/hexagon/big bird was going to be represented in KSP after all these years but when I went to the wiki to see what satellites to launch after installing the new update I was upset to see that my favorite satellite wasn't in the update. And to add insult to injury I cant even kitbash one because it is way larger than every reconnaissance satellite hence the nickname. Maybe for the next update??? 

12 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

KH-9 is also probably one of my all time favorite satellites! Even though it wasn't released with the current stuff, KH-9 is in the works right now. There's still quite a bit of work to do with it, but we hope to add it in a point release between updates. Here's a sneak peak at a silver/gold foil variant stuff I was working on for the update:
https://twitter.com/Invaderchaos915/status/1316612053927440385?s=20

Indeed - our goal is to finish up KH-9, Mariner 10, and a couple other things to include in a point release before moving on to the 1.8 work.

mooz7kJ.png

On 10/12/2020 at 2:14 PM, golkaidakhaana said:

Ermm , isn t there something else Nimbus is missing ? Specifically , the RTG ? ;)

Anyone have suggestions for an arm-mounted one that won't just look like the Pioneer 10 ones?

SlHAJyf.png

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Favorite color?

idk i thought we were just asking questions

Atlas V Brown (Bronze)

Serious question/request -

I'm running a rescaled Kerbin (as suggested earlier in the thread) and Ferram Aerospace with this addon and working my way through the Historic Missions pack US missions.  I'm now into the Thor-Agena A Discoverer flights and I'm running into a bit of an issue.  The contract for the initial flights wants me at 91km+ orbit, but I'm running into some odd issues with the ascent guidance and getting a good "groove" in staging so I can get into orbit smoothly with the single start Agena.  I don't know if anyone has any suggestions on what adjustments to make for Gravity Turn or MechJeb Ascent Guidance to help.  I have enough Delta V to make it into orbit, but I'm running into problems with not being able to setup the circularization maneuver (either manually or automatically) soon enough to get a good light of the Agena since I'm only ~60 seconds from Apoapsis when the first stage burns out and I have a ~2 minute burn to circularize and the automatic circularization for both modules not triggering until I pass 90km (meaning I'm less than 30 seconds from AP).

Any suggestions or other addons I might be able to use to help?

Edited by CAPFlyer

44 minutes ago, CAPFlyer said:

Atlas V Brown (Bronze)

I'm running a rescaled Kerbin (as suggested earlier in the thread) and Ferram Aerospace with this addon and working my way through the Historic Missions pack US missions.  I'm now into the Thor-Agena A Discoverer flights and I'm running into a bit of an issue.  The contract for the initial flights wants me at 91km+ orbit, but I'm running into some odd issues with the ascent guidance and getting a good "groove" in staging so I can get into orbit smoothly with the single start Agena.  I don't know if anyone has any suggestions on what adjustments to make for Gravity Turn or MechJeb Ascent Guidance to help.  I have enough Delta V to make it into orbit, but I'm running into problems with not being able to setup the circularization maneuver (either manually or automatically) soon enough to get a good light of the Agena since I'm only ~60 seconds from Apoapsis when the first stage burns out and I have a ~2 minute burn to circularize and the automatic circularization for both modules not triggering until I pass 90km (meaning I'm less than 30 seconds from AP).

Try coasting a bit before lighting the Agena? There is a small solid motor in the Agena parts you can use to get it going if you're using an ullage mod.

1 hour ago, CAPFlyer said:

Atlas V Brown (Bronze)

MechJeb Ascent Guidance to help.  I have enough Delta V to make it into orbit, but I'm running into problems with not being able to setup the circularization maneuver (either manually or automatically) soon enough to get a good light of the Agena since I'm only ~60 seconds from Apoapsis when the first stage burns out and I have a ~2 minute burn to circularize and the automatic circularization for both modules not triggering until I pass 90km (meaning I'm less than 30 seconds from AP).

I would suggest if using mechjeb to use PVG (prime vector guidance) instead of the standard ascent guidance. Works well with larger scales and is derived from real world Atlas Centaur Guidance.

You can either launch with a coast phase or disable it in the checkbox and set your periapsis to the desired circularisation altitude. (no apoapsis figure needed it will circularise at the Pe)

If you want an ellipitcal orbit enter an Ap higher than the Pe.

We have a rough guide here and Im sure you can find more somewhere in Mechjeb documentation. Never had it fail with any Thor variant at 2.7x scale.

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Launching-and-Trajectories

Me: *Sees BDB has a massive update* Whohoo!
Me: *Sees notes that some parts have been deprecated* Oh boy...
Me: *Sees further notes that deprecated parts will be deleted in future updates and remembering that one nifty little antenna I use for passive comms on pretty much all my craft* Oh no...

Welp, I guess I should start the evacuations...

P.S: Are the new versions of your antennae good for RemoteTech, or do you need them to make a compatibility update?

3 minutes ago, BananaDealer said:

Me: *Sees BDB has a massive update* Whohoo!
Me: *Sees notes that some parts have been deprecated* Oh boy...
Me: *Sees further notes that deprecated parts will be deleted in future updates and remembering that one nifty little antenna I use for passive comms on pretty much all my craft* Oh no...

Welp, I guess I should start the evacuations...

P.S: Are the new versions of your antennae good for RemoteTech, or do you need them to make a compatibility update?

Well we hope you will find plenty of other nicer antennas! 

Re Remote tech they need configs, several people have suggested they might contribute configs but so far we havent had a pull request. Since none of the authors use RT, we are relying on the community to submit a compatibility update. If anyone does it would be much appreciated.

14 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Well we hope you will find plenty of other nicer antennas! 

Re Remote tech they need configs, several people have suggested they might contribute configs but so far we havent had a pull request. Since none of the authors use RT, we are relying on the community to submit a compatibility update. If anyone does it would be much appreciated.

tenor.gif

I'll give it a shot if/when I get some time on my hands...

I used to have a massive MM plug-in file for just that sort of thing... Might be able to find it and repurpose it...

3 minutes ago, BananaDealer said:

I'll give it a shot if/when I get some time on my hands...

I used to have a massive MM plug-in file for just that sort of thing... Might be able to find it and repurpose it...

That would be cool, our Remote Tech configs are years out of date. Its not just this new 1.7 update but none of the 1.6 stuff is covered either. Not sure about the one before that.

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Anyone have suggestions for an arm-mounted one that won't just look like the Pioneer 10 ones?

SlHAJyf.png

I am willing to take a stab...   Have the RTG mounted on a sorta turntable so the END of the RTG tracks the sun (so the cooling fins can be their most efficient?)   You didn't stipulate it had to be either SANE or EASY after all :D

But seriously;   How about have a Hollow tinker toy type extension arm that encloses the RTG when collapsed.   When it extends the RTG then pivots through a hole almost 180 degrees on a single plane to expose the cooling fins that were protected in the Tinkertoy lattice when the lattice was collapsed.  

Less complex and based on something already in use in a lot of the BDB Science linear arm extension parts.   

9 hours ago, Delta dart said:

In my entire time playing KSP I've never had an engine explode from overheating unless its going through re entry. Also see if you have any other mods installed that change anything heat related.

*looks at 3 bell XLR-83 Navajo engine....*   You mean you have never flow this *BEEEEEEEEP*ing engine?

It used to blow up ALL THE TIME :D

Turn it on = Blow up

Have fuel and Oxidizer in the general vicinity...= Blow up

THINK about using it = Blow up

Sneeze in it's general direction from half way around the planet = Blow up

:D

:P

;)

14 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Turn it on = Blow up

Have fuel and Oxidizer in the general vicinity...= Blow up

THINK about using it = Blow up

Sneeze in it's general direction from half way around the planet = Blow up

KSP in a nutshell 

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

4 new RTGs - the first ones in BDB - have been added. Three configurations of the SNAP-19 (basic module, Nimbus 3, and TOPS) as well as the wee little SNAP-3 (Transit)

Spoiler

a5b0815b6e37d1944e231c7489f9b33a355df615

Get the rover, Watney!

Also, NF Electrical Decaying RTGs patch in BDB_Extras

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

17 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

When I fly KH-1, first stage cutoff is @ 64km, 2333m/s, Ap is 149k, 2m 47sec to Ap. Could FAR really be doing that much?

Edit: JNSQ

FAR isn't really doing that much.  I'm using a fairly aggressive trajectory to get up a tad higher, but my BECOs are around 70km (don't really pay attention) and a bit lower speed, but still within Agena-A capabilities.  I am doing a coast, but again, being that the coast is somewhere around 45 seconds, that's not a lot of time to make, set, and tweak a maneuver node.  If you're using a 149k AP and then burning low to bring it down and circularize, that might be what I need to try to give me more time to get the guidance to work more reliably.

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

I would suggest if using mechjeb to use PVG (prime vector guidance) instead of the standard ascent guidance.

I'll try that.  I hadn't tried PVG yet since I'm not using RO/RSS, but I'll give it a try too. 

Overall, I'm just looking for better guidance than just following the trajectory and trying to manually throttle and cutoff since i only get 1 burn with the Agena-A so I can be more consistent, especially since there are quite a few Discoverer missions.  I'm really liking Engine Ignition so that's why getting it right the first time is so much more important.  I can't just kill the throttle and then fire back up. :)

46 minutes ago, CAPFlyer said:

I'm really liking Engine Ignition so that's why getting it right the first time is so much more important.

How much pain should I expect if I wanted to try this mod, too? The thread is oldish and ends abruptly. How is the coverage for BDB engines? This is the only parts pack I'd want it for. I kinda already try to keep ignitions (and throttling) in mind for historic rockets, but I don't know which can do what so it'd be pretty cool to have this info in the VAB and have it enforced during flight. 

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
typos

Just now, OrbitalManeuvers said:

How much pain should I expect if I wanted to try this mod, too? The thread is oldish and ends abruptly. How is the coverage for BDB engines? This is the only parts pack I'd want it for. I kinda already try to keep ignitions (and throttling) in mind for historic rockets, but I don't know which can do what so it's be pretty cool to have this info in the VAB and have it enforced during flight. 

Every BDB engine has configs, we actively maintain it.

There are some unresolved bugs with other mods' engines sometimes when they try to use electricity as an ignition resource. However there is an optional workaround config I added to engine ignitor itself in a PR a while back which when enabled will fix this issue. You can find it if you dig in the EI files. In any case BDB engines are unaffected by these bugs. And b9 variants of a single engine model will get the correct ignitions too.