[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Yikes ... superfail on EngineIgnitor. Just grabbed the github, dropped in the folder to my working/stable 1.10.1, and B9 blows up. I can't even take a screenshot of it since it's on the startup screen, but lots of 'engineSwitch' problems ... agena.engine.xlr81 subtype 8048  can't find matching module. Same type of error on lots of engines. No errors after removing EngineIgnitor folder. I do (ofc) have clickthroughblocker/toolbarcontrol

I forgot to mention that it's me, and I am cursed when it comes to KSP mods.

23 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Yikes ... superfail on EngineIgnitor. Just grabbed the github, dropped in the folder to my working/stable 1.10.1, and B9 blows up. I can't even take a screenshot of it since it's on the startup screen, but lots of 'engineSwitch' problems ... agena.engine.xlr81 subtype 8048  can't find matching module. Same type of error on lots of engines. No errors after removing EngineIgnitor folder. I do (ofc) have clickthroughblocker/toolbarcontrol

I forgot to mention that it's me, and I am cursed when it comes to KSP mods.

Are you sure you didn't grab this version?

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

How much pain should I expect if I wanted to try this mod, too? The thread is oldish and ends abruptly. How is the coverage for BDB engines? This is the only parts pack I'd want it for. I kinda already try to keep ignitions (and throttling) in mind for historic rockets, but I don't know which can do what so it'd be pretty cool to have this info in the VAB and have it enforced during flight. 

Pain as in installation - you already covered that.  I didn't have an issue because I don't use B9 as a full addon.

Pain as in difficulty?  Yeah, it'll make things more difficult.  But I've liked it.

Also, thanks for the suggestions everyone on the Thor-Agena issue.  Just launched Discoverer 5 without any issue using the PVG guidance.  Had to manually stage because it doesn't deal with ullage motors properly, but that wasn't a big issue.

Edited by CAPFlyer

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on a stand-in for the Beacon series of balloon probes?  I've just been using the Explorer 1 probe as a stand-in since it used the same body, but it'd be nice to be able to use the full probe since some of the Nike Beacon launches actually succeeded.

Edited by CAPFlyer

On 10/19/2020 at 5:03 AM, Zorg said:

Because we have changed our approach to handling github, future work will be on the master branch, with a separate release branch if necessary for 1.7 maintenance updates once 1.8 work starts. ;)

I take it the transition from Dev 1.7 to new Master 1.7 was more painful than helpful?   Well hey just makes it easier for me to download the next Dev Cycle for um... err... Testing?  :P

:)

Thanks to Cobalt and Zorg for the help getting EngineIgnitor up and running. Adding this into the mix adds a really nice level of difficulty. So far I've had good success with Agena and the ullage motors, and Delta-K which can restart using RCS.

I'm on the struggle bus with Vanguard and Able, though. For Vanguard, even 4 RSMs turned around isn't enough to get a stable reading. I eventually tried 2 stock sepratrons just to make sure it would work at all (it did). And for Able, I'm utterly clueless without forward RCS or ullage motors. So I'm guessing there's something basic that I haven't learned yet. Hints would be welcomed from anyone :)

Next question on Vanguard ... scuppers! So I'm seeing the ability to turn them on/off in the VAB, but that seems to be the extent of possible interactions. Have I missed anything? I think I have the 2nd post-release update from 10/19.

Lastly ... Explorer's spin table. I can get it to rotate once with a step of 360, but only one rotation. Should I be aiming for continuous rotation?

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Thanks to Cobalt and Zorg for the help getting EngineIgnitor up and running. Adding this into the mix adds a really nice level of difficulty. So far I've had good success with Agena and the ullage motors, and Delta-K which can restart using RCS.

I'm on the struggle bus with Vanguard and Able, though. For Vanguard, even 4 RSMs turned around isn't enough to get a stable reading. I eventually tried 2 stock sepratrons just to make sure it would work at all (it did). And for Able, I'm utterly clueless without forward RCS or ullage motors. So I'm guessing there's something basic that I haven't learned yet. Hints would be welcomed from anyone :)

Next question on Vanguard ... scuppers! So I'm seeing the ability to turn them on/off in the VAB, but that seems to be the extent of possible interactions. Have I missed anything? I think I have the 2nd post-release update from 10/19.

Lastly ... Explorer's spin table. I can get it to rotate once with a step of 360, but only one rotation. Should I be aiming for continuous rotation?

Thanks!

Able I/II needs to hot stage. You don't get ullage RCS and restarts until Ablestar. The typical flight profile with Able second stages is to hot stage the Able, then hang on to it after burnout using the Able's RCS for attitude control until apoapsis, then spin up the star 20 third stage for insertion. This profile is a recurring theme on the early rockets.

Scuppers are eye candy. They fall off shortly after launch.

I think you need to set the spin table to 0 degree step for continuous rotation. You'll want to "control from here" from the non spinning part of the rocket or autopilot tries to fight the spin. It's cute but can be a little annoying.

Edited by Jso

9 minutes ago, Jso said:

Able I/II needs to hot stage.

this is exactly the kind of rabbit hole i was hoping for by adding this mod. :D  Just the other day I built a Titan II and when I set up the staging of the 2nd stage and put the decoupler before the engine I knew in my heart it was wrong and I apologize to all of you.

16 minutes ago, Jso said:

Scuppers are eye candy.

it pains me to ask these esoteric detailed questions, but I'm trying to improve my video creation and details matter. Thanks :)

9 minutes ago, Jso said:

I think you need to set the spin table to 0 degree step for continuous rotation.

duh to me for not trying 0. This is correct and does indeed work.

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

this is exactly the kind of rabbit hole i was hoping for by adding this mod. :D  Just the other day I built a Titan II and when I set up the staging of the 2nd stage and put the decoupler before the engine I knew in my heart it was wrong and I apologize to all of you.

Most of the devs also use Mandatory RCS and Persistent Rotation as well. As far as I know, pretty much all the upper stages should have sufficient RCS for full control (at least, as much as they did historically).

19 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

What exactly could we be looking forward to for the next update?

Just now, Starhelperdude said:

I think Apollo/Saturn stuff

Next update is going to be a point release, with Hexagon, Mariner 10, and some other misc stuff like extra SAF fairings that got missed for the release.

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

I was the same until I realized hot staging was more of a thing than I thought.  Quick change of stage numbers, update to MechJeb staging program to hot stage 0.5 seconds before burnout, and Bob's your uncle. ;)

BTW, now launched through the last Vanguard launch and everything seems to be going well, so I think I'm back on track to be able to get through the entire US missions in one go for the first time.

20 minutes ago, CAPFlyer said:

I was the same until I realized hot staging was more of a thing than I thought.  Quick change of stage numbers, update to MechJeb staging program to hot stage 0.5 seconds before burnout, and Bob's your uncle. ;)

One of my favorite things about KSP is when it leads you out of the game and off on an investigation and you learn something new about actual spaceflight. BDB has been the catalyst for innumerable investigations like that (which I could surely do on my own, but having a reason is way more fun).

I've resisted MechJeb as a long-time KER user, mainly because every video I see it in just makes me want to hurl. The UI is everywhere and ugly and illegible and blahhhh ... but yeah, it's in my future, I'm sure. It's certainly way more realistic to set up something automated than to tap the D key for 5 minutes. :)  Are you using Morphisor's contract pack? I've been doing missions in roughly historical order using what's available as I unlock each tier in science mode.

Has anyone had an issue with this? I tried to start the rotation of the Vicenza upper stages and this is what happens. The upper stages decouple and lay there until they fall off. It doesn't seem to matter when I do this. It happens in flight too. I know this must be something simple but I am not getting it.

Explorer%201%20problem.jpg?psid=1&width=

3 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Has anyone had an issue with this? I tried to start the rotation of the Vicenza upper stages and this is what happens. The upper stages decouple and lay there until they fall off. It doesn't seem to matter when I do this. It happens in flight too. I know this must be something simple but I am not getting it.

Explorer%201%20problem.jpg?psid=1&width=

I can't see your image, maybe you need to set permission to public?

It sounds like your just staging the part and it's decoupling. You need the dock rotate mod installed for the spin table to work.

D6MyiLZ.png

If you disable staging on the built in decoupler in the nose cone, and use a separate 0.625m decoupler under the 11x stage the whole thing will spin like it should. If you don't do that the 11x shroud wont spin with everything else.

I do have Dock Rotate installed, along with the 0.625 decoupler, but mine doesn't look like yours. Am I missing some other dependency? As soon as I initiate rotation, no matter at what point during the flight, it immediately decouples the Vicenza stages and the rotation just throws them around.

y4miaJKoDxKrgoxeyx2FmgX5PH9em9IHs5fxRSGY

40 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I do have Dock Rotate installed, along with the 0.625 decoupler, but mine doesn't look like yours. Am I missing some other dependency? As soon as I initiate rotation, no matter at what point during the flight, it immediately decouples the Vicenza stages and the rotation just throws them around.

I'm in flight, you're in the VAB and it looks like you don't have Advanced Tweakables enabled, so the windows look different.

I've got no clue what you've got going on. Upload a KSP.log and maybe there's something there.

2 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

As soon as I initiate rotation,

This is working fine for me. Here's what I had to do. In the VAB, make sure you disable the decoupler on the nosecone. You're only using the real decoupler to separate. Then on the launchpad, right click on the Etoh guidance unit and select Control From Here. Next, right click on the nosecone and click Rotate Clockwise - this is how you initiate rotation, or via an action group, but not via staging. Hope that helps.

22 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Next update is going to be a point release, with Hexagon, Mariner 10, and some other misc stuff like extra SAF fairings that got missed for the release.

On the topic of fairings, any chance for the new Delta IV Heavy SAF fairing?