[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Github is updated with auto jettison for the Atlas booster skirt. It needs to be enabled on the part action window. 4 G is a pretty good number for the first two Atlas generations. You'll want to adjust as things get heavier.

I was lurking on Cobalt's stream last night here and some random dude on the chat went on about making the USAF Space Launcher System with the Fatlas tanks switched to LH2, J-2 and UA1205s, complete with an Orbiter add-on pic about it. Figured I might post this here first...

Lycus L02  (SLS A-388 Phoenix)- ~11t to 100x25° in 2.5x Kerbin

06Ns4AW.png

u8cYwKs.png

lbdyT72.png

ahXRuwn.png

ZJpRfcj.png

Core stage was lit up after booster separation like the everyday Titan...

used the Titan I engine shroud tweakscaled to 2.5m to house the J-2...all in BDB

Edited by flamerboy67664

I added an issue in GitHub for this, but just got to Pioneer 5 in my current Savegame with Historic Spaceflight and it needs a Micrometeor Impact science report returned once into the Heliocentric orbit, but the probe doesn't have that science experiment available.  I modded my own in (probably not really correctly, but it worked), but I suspect it'd be a good thing to add to the package base. :)

On 10/24/2020 at 1:07 PM, Zorg said:

Some Mariner 10 work in progress. The foil elements are just placeholder so dont look too close (there will be optional covers for the engine sphere and the camera too, not pictured here).

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-24_23-52-08.png?width=1471&height=828

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-24_23-54-43.png?width=1471&height=828

LOVELY!!! Can't wait for testing it!

Also i'd like to have Pionneer Venus spacecraft and... on a later release the TIROS-N (DMSP, NOAA, N-ROSS, LANDSAT).

5 minutes ago, Yuriy Istochnikov said:

Also i'd like to have Pionneer Venus spacecraft and... on a later release the TIROS-N (DMSP, NOAA, N-ROSS, LANDSAT).

Funny you mention that, I'm actually working on TIROS-N/DMSP/NOAA parts right now, but it's probably going to take me a while to finish them. However at the moment, I don't have any specific plans to do N-ROSS/LANDSAT specific parts.

After further tinkering, with the common mods everyone uses here all variants of the USAF Space Launcher System can be recreated to some fidelity here...

All payload described use the referential values of an 100x25° orbit  in 2.5x Kerbin, which is what I use in trying out launchers..

• SLS A-388 "Phoenix" - SLS-A core, 2x UA1205 SRMs - ~11t payload

u8cYwKs.png

•  SLS A-410 - SLS-A core, 4x UA1205 SRMs - ~17t payload

lMihVsv.png

• SLS AB-825 - SLS-B 1st stage, SLS-A 2nd stage, 4x 2-segment SSRB - ~25-30t payload

86hzZmy.png

u7GU3w1.png

9RXKboK.png

LDtmTgW.png

• SLS BC-2720 - SLS-C 1st stage, SLS-B 2nd stage, 4x 2-segment SSRB - ~42t payload  (This was to launch the Lunex spaceplane to the Moon in USAF plans)

rly6fcs.png

WONT4S3.png

GayGtbJ.png

Here are the core configurations I used in building the bois...

SLS-A: Fatlas B-M-S - Titan I mount tweakscaled to 2.5m - J-2

SLS-B: Atlas CELV B-M-S-T - Titan III mount tweakscaled to 3.125m - 2x J-2, Alternatively Saturn S-IVC mount tweakscaled to 3.125m for 2nd stage applications.

SLS-C: Atlas CELV  B-M-M-S - Saturn V mount tweakscaled to 3.125 - 2x CryoEngines RS-68 non modified (the highest thrust LH2 engine I can find, mimicking the non-present M-1)

Remember to switch fuels to LH2/LOX in each fuel tank...

120in SRM - BDB UA1205s

180in SRM - Phoenix Co. 2 segment Space Shuttle SRBs

All core stages are lit following SRB separation just like your daily Titan...

(mix and match according to decided specification)

Mods used: BDB, Photon Co., CryoEngines, Restock(?)

As I have found out, only custom tankage, engine mounts, and perhaps the M-1 is needed for a real BDB USAF SLS if you all awesome guys decide to pursue it...and perhaps the Lunex Project if you ever decide to take on that too. Use creative liberty due to the lack of detailed information?

sources http://www.astronautix.com/s/sls.html

.....where was that "mig41 flatpack" dude on Cobalt's Saturday stream hehe?

Edited by flamerboy67664

@flamerboy67664worth noting that Astronautix, and the SLS page in particular, aren't exactly... the most impartial of sources, let's say? :) The X-20 page is also fairly bad if I remember.

12 minutes ago, flamerboy67664 said:

Use creative liberty due to the lack of detailed informat

Also just wanted to respond to this sentiment in particular - I'm *really* not good at making up stuff. As decent as I am on the execution, I really rely on reference for inspiration. So the less there is about something, the more difficulty I'll have doing it.

3 hours ago, miguelsgamingch said:

This big thing gives me 4-5 fps, Its what i call "FPS Killer for potato pc"

This one was the worst. i usally get 6-12 FPS For stock DLC Saturn V

Still, Im Loving The Mod!

2 hours ago, computercat04 said:

Same

Wait really? I know I yellow clock for... most launches actually, but I don't think I've experienced FPS that low in a long time. And the Apollo/Saturn stack isn't even that part intensive?

9 hours ago, Yuriy Istochnikov said:

We have Pioneer Venus like... half done? I was working on it last winter and kinda... lost all motivation for it. I don't know if I can get it back tbh. If I remember I just got frustrated with how janky they felt, lot of single use stuff with weird modeling issues and stuff. Now that we have @Invaderchaos confidently doing foil at least that's one less issue to worry about. Idk.

uXVDHC2.png
fNfZAIy.png
P13kDpf.png
yaIvWcu.png

22 minutes ago, Zorg said:

screen_2560x1920_2020-10-27_01-58-01.png

Coming *very* soon

I love how with the new fairings you have put all the art time into Zorg that you have to make realistic payloads.  

I love even more that BDB is MAKING those realistic payloads (something I never thought would happen and honestly never wished for)

I love even most the Synergy between many/all the active modders in KSP.   A lot of this stuff we see today wouldn't be possible if not for the people that went before.     And all of this is culminating in things that are WAY different than the original goal/design of KSP.

I am very glad I got off of my "That isn't KSP standard" High horse a few years ago and switched from the very nice, but very less accurate FASA to the at the time, less nice but much more accurate BDB.    Because now, through it's 3 generations of rebuilds/updates (some parts are 4 and 5 generations old now) BDB is not only the most accurate US space mod size wise, it also LOOKS 100x better than any of the US based mods (for the parts represented in BDB.)    And while I know Saturn isn't as accurate as the rest of BDB and I know Cobaltwolf and company have their eyes set on a new Saturn part set.  I think BDB is artistically the best "real world" Space mod in KSP at this juncture.   

This isn't meant as a pat the BDB on the back post (I mean sure, the BDB crew deserve at-least a pat on the back for their hard work, toil and trouble but that isn't the point  :P ,)  But an honest look at what BDB has become.  

How many mods have rocket engines that can be "unflown Insulated" and "not a flight example but how the rocket looks under the insulation"?    I can't think of any in that case beyond BDB.

How many mods listen to us when we through oddball suggestions like FATLAS, CELV, AGENA SOT, etc... things that were PAPER studies. (and why oh why do they listen to ME?! :D )

So to wrap up this un-intended BDB love fest....  Thank you BDB team, both current and past members.   Thank you Blowfish, DMagic, Nertea, Beale, Porkjet, TJ, e of Pi and all the others who have contributed to helping develop BDB by brute force, competition, inspiration and magnanimous gifts of time and knowledge, sadly that list is too numerous for me to mention them all.  

Yes, It is very low.

I Run KSP In The Possible Low Settings.

Main Menu - 50 FPS

Space center - 10-20 FPS

VAB (Without the hanger extended) 10-25 FPS

VAB (With Hanger Extended) 40-50 FPS

Launching 10-20 parts rocket - 20-30 FPS

30-50 Parts - 20 FPS

50+ Parts - 20-8 FPS

BDB - 4-5 FPS

Laptop Specs:

Intel Core i5 -3320M CPU 2.60 Ghz

16 GB Of Ram

Windows 10 Pro

And 64 Bit, x64

1 hour ago, miguelsgamingch said:

Yes, It is very low.

I Run KSP In The Possible Low Settings.

Main Menu - 50 FPS

Space center - 10-20 FPS

VAB (Without the hanger extended) 10-25 FPS

VAB (With Hanger Extended) 40-50 FPS

Launching 10-20 parts rocket - 20-30 FPS

30-50 Parts - 20 FPS

50+ Parts - 20-8 FPS

BDB - 4-5 FPS

Laptop Specs:

Intel Core i5 -3320M CPU 2.60 Ghz

16 GB Of Ram

Windows 10 Pro

And 64 Bit, x64

I tried to run Scatterer with low graphics as always but the framerate dropped significantly. 

4 minutes ago, computercat04 said:

I tried to run Scatterer with low graphics as always but the framerate dropped significantly. 

does scatterer work with ksp low graphics?

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Wait really? I know I yellow clock for... most launches actually, but I don't think I've experienced FPS that low in a long time. And the Apollo/Saturn stack isn't even that part intensive?

Yes. Check the thread above to check my laptop specs.

and im sure you have a much bigger specs than mine.

Edited by miguelsgamingch

On 10/24/2020 at 1:24 AM, Jso said:

Both Kopernicus (a specific older version) and Kerbalism cause this error. We should have a workaround for Kerbalism soon, but it may in the end need to be addressed on their end to retain full functionality of the part.

Yup. Running BDB and Kopernicus on 1.8 and I can confirm the errors. Are there any workarounds?

I'm suddenly getting some odd shading on my rockets.  Anyone have an idea why? Sorry for the fuzzyness, don't know why it did it that way, but it still shows the shading oddity.

2viP49B.jpg

Edited by CAPFlyer