[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

41 minutes ago, msp307 said:

I am using the latest version of KSP.

I forgot to say that I scaled this.

My question was actually whether there are explanations for the individual points?

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleProceduralFairing

nSides = 88

nArcs = 2
        nCollidersPerXSection = 12
        useClamshell = true
        ejectionForce = 300

TextureURL = Bluedog_DB/Parts/Aero/bluedog_fairing

panelGrouping = 3
        pivot = 0,0.11,0
        axis = 0,1,0

baseRadius = 2.8125
        maxRadius = 6
        capRadius = 0.375
        snapThreshold = 0.25

xSectionHeightMin = 0.3
        xSectionHeightMax = 3

edgeSlide = 0.15
        edgeWarp = 0.0
        noseTip = 0.7

UnitAreaMass = 0.02
        UnitAreaCost = 27

stagingToggleEnabledEditor = True
        stagingToggleEnabledFlight = False
        stagingEnableText = Fairing Not Staged
        stagingDisableText = Fairing Staged
    }

MODULE
  {
      name = ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairing

segmentLength = 0.95581 //086
      maxSegments = 8
      numSlices = 2

deploySpeed = 2.5

shieldingCenter = 0, 1.2, 0
      shieldingBaseRadius = 1.27

editorOpenOffset = 7.5, 0, 0
      stagingToggleEnabledEditor = true

WALL_BASE // h = 1.86134
      {
          transformName = Wallbase
          CoM = 0.156, 1.86, 0
          mass = 0.006
          rootOffset = 0, 0.06, 0
      }

WALL // h = 0.95581
      {
          transformName = Wall
          CoM = 0.156, 2.36, 0
          mass = 0.003
          rootOffset = 0, 1.92134, 0
      }

CONE // h = 0.621908
      {
          transformName = Cone
          CoM = 0.156, 1.2, 0
          mass = 0.002
          rootOffset = 0, 1.92134, 0
      }
  }

Im actually not too familiar with ModuleProceduralFairing and what would be needed to fix things after scaling. Maybe someone else might have some suggestions.

For ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairings there is actually a dedicated rescale factor you can use

MODULE
  {

scale = 1.6

... etc etc
	}

However once you rescale you need to reposition everything. It maybe helpful for you to read this document. This is a tutorial I made on how to make SAF fairings. But the sections of how the config is written might be helpful.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z1DHIbChoCmKsf-Zgh-tjL9mDOIhPVHvy8cKMrn-ce8/edit#heading=h.9x5szvxp7o3c

rootOffset

for cones and walls, if a wallbase is not present, this value is the position of each right above the rim of the fairing base. it should be the same value. dont take the position of the cone on top of the wall.

if a wallbase is present, this is the position right above the wallbase (since its always present)

for caps, its the position of the cone plus height of the cone

Overall this is quite difficult since to write the config I measure the heights very precisely in blender. If you are rescaling you will need to calculate the original heights from the original config values and then scale them up and take that into account when repositioning.

1 hour ago, msp307 said:

I am using the latest version of KSP. I forgot to say that I scaled this. My question was actually whether there are explanations for the individual points?

The Saturn rescale cfg has an example of how you need to handle stock fairings. Basically, you leave the rescaleFactor at 1, rescale the MODEL, and set the scale in three settings in ModuleProceduralFairing. link

So I hinted at some potential surprises in my earlier post and perhaps now is a good time to give you guys a preview.

screen_2560x1440_2020-11-17_00-01-49.png?width=1470&height=827

What we have here is the Timberwind 75 Nuclear Thermal Rocket based around a Particle Bed Reactor. This incredible model (and a good portion of the texture) was actually made for BDB by @Maffif some time back but real life got in the way before it could be totally finished. So Im now just helping it across the finish line. 

The Timberwind nuclear engines were to achieve very high specific impulse by the standards of solid core nuclear engines (around 1000s) and surprisingly high thrust too even at sea level though it was meant to be deployed as an upper stage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Timberwind

Im also planning to add a special interstage and engine mount to use with 3.125m LDC tankage on top of a Titan IV stack.

Edited by Zorg

34 minutes ago, Zorg said:

So I hinted at some potential surprises in my earlier post and perhaps now is a good time to give you guys a preview.

screen_2560x1440_2020-11-17_00-01-49.png?width=1470&height=827

What we have here is the Timberwind 75 Nuclear Thermal Rocket based around a Pebble Bed Reactor. This incredible model (and a good portion of the texture) was actually made for BDB by @Maffif some time back but real life got in the way before it could be totally finished. So Im now just helping it across the finish line. 

The Timberwind nuclear engines were to achieve very high specific impulse by the standards of solid core nuclear engines (around 1000s) and surprisingly high thrust too even at sea level though it was meant to be deployed as an upper stage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Timberwind

Im also planning to add a special interstage and engine mount to use with 3.125m LDC tankage on top of a Titan IV stack.

Bringing up some NUKES!!!

Thought after the NERVA project they canned nuke engines, learn something new everyday.

PS: What rocket was this supposed to be on?

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Im actually not too familiar with ModuleProceduralFairing and what would be needed to fix things after scaling. Maybe someone else might have some suggestions.

For ModuleSimpleAdjustableFairings there is actually a dedicated rescale factor you can use

MODULE
  {

scale = 1.6

... etc etc
	}

However once you rescale you need to reposition everything. It maybe helpful for you to read this document. This is a tutorial I made on how to make SAF fairings. But the sections of how the config is written might be helpful.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z1DHIbChoCmKsf-Zgh-tjL9mDOIhPVHvy8cKMrn-ce8/edit#heading=h.9x5szvxp7o3c

Overall this is quite difficult since to write the config I measure the heights very precisely in blender. If you are rescaling you will need to calculate the original heights from the original config values and then scale them up and take that into account when repositioning.

1 hour ago, Jso said:

The Saturn rescale cfg has an example of how you need to handle stock fairings. Basically, you leave the rescaleFactor at 1, rescale the MODEL, and set the scale in three settings in ModuleProceduralFairing. link

Thanks for the information. Helped me a lot.

One more thing.
I have the upper tank of the Delta III 2 times. once on the right that is scaled.
and I can't edit the left that I actually want. does anyone know a solution?

Screenshot-16.png

Edited by msp307

22 minutes ago, msp307 said:

Thanks for the information. Helped me a lot.

One more thing.
I have the upper tank of the Delta III 2 times. once on the right that is scaled.
and I can't edit the left that I actually want. does anyone know a solution?

Screenshot-16.png

The one on the left is in the Thor folder actually. the one on the right is deprecated, we forgot to hide it :P 

The one you want is Bluedog_DB/Parts/Thor/bluedog_deltaIII_AdapterTank.cfg

55 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Thought after the NERVA project they canned nuke engines, learn something new everyday.

Multiple options were considered. In terms of dedicated parts like I said I'll make some hardware for Titan IV. But you can always kitbash to other rockets. Cobalt will also make sure there will be a version of the S-IVB interstage that can accommodate it.

SNTP_Upper_Stage_Applications.png

19 hours ago, davidy12 said:

18 hours ago, Zorg said:

The one on the left is in the Thor folder actually. the one on the right is deprecated, we forgot to hide it :P 

The one you want is Bluedog_DB/Parts/Thor/bluedog_deltaIII_AdapterTank.cfg

Multiple options were considered. In terms of dedicated parts like I said I'll make some hardware for Titan IV. But you can always kitbash to other rockets. Cobalt will also make sure there will be a version of the S-IVB interstage that can accommodate it.

Aside from the payload carrier designs they sketched out, I think you can imagine the implications of an engine with massive delta V and TWR...

I've had a long standing (if personally unrealized) interest in including Timberwind in BDB since it's a nuclear engine that isn't NERVA, which the Restock NERV is a pretty clear replica of.

2 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

Did a bit of testing in JNSQ today. Mercury Lab is interesting to fly...

ahuGXYz.png

Hide contents

ru7JVAi.png

v0iQWoJ.png

wymnm6g.png

I had some trouble getting the fuel cells to work, but I'll have to do some more testing.

aKjSaKD.png

I also flew a quick Gemini mission.

The Mercury lab parts are quite strange. Are they based on a real proposal?

fig3.jpg

In the BDB edition (and I believe an IRL version of this), the capsule swings around to dock side-to-side with the lab instead of the inflatable tunnel.

4 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

In the BDB edition (and I believe an IRL version of this), the capsule swings around to dock side-to-side with the lab instead of the inflatable tunnel.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. BDB Mercury Lab is just a small version of MOL. Or just sMOL. The astronaut boards the lab via EVA walk (there's a ladder for this).

You probably can make a swing arm for Mercury with robotic parts, though.

1 minute ago, biohazard15 said:

Unfortunately, it doesn't. BDB Mercury Lab is just a small version of MOL. Or just sMOL. The astronaut boards the lab via EVA walk (there's a ladder for this).

You probably can make a swing arm for Mercury with robotic parts, though.

That's what I've been doing...

Thought it was the intended build, anyway it's possible unlike inflatable tunnels.

On 9/30/2015 at 8:21 AM, CobaltWolf said:

RemoteTech - All antennas and probe cores are RemoteTech compatible.

As far as I can tell this pack doesnt have a remote tech config so doesn't actually work properly. All probes have local control. Am I missing something? Is there a config in the ether? Do I need to write the config myself?

Thanks

1 hour ago, ronty322 said:

Nevermind, I couldn't find one so I've created my own for the cores. I'll do antennas next but I need to balance it properly.

@CobaltWolfCan you add me as a contributer on the repo and i'll push my branch up. :) 
https://github.com/Laurentyb

Make a PR. The core dev team is really good at merging those within a couple days.

7 hours ago, ronty322 said:

Nevermind, I couldn't find one so I've created my own for the cores. I'll do antennas next but I need to balance it properly.

@CobaltWolfCan you add me as a contributer on the repo and i'll push my branch up. :) 
https://github.com/Laurentyb

RT patches would be much appreciated! To make contributions please make a fork of BDB and open a pull request from there into Cobalts master branch. Cheers.

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

RT patches would be much appreciated! To make contributions please make a fork of BDB and open a pull request from there into Cobalts master branch. Cheers.

Done and Done, enjoy!

I'll take a crack at the other control units that aren't probes next.

Edited by ronty322

Anybody here heard of Mercury-Scout? Nobody who I've talked to that knows about spaceflight has heard of Mercury-Scout. It would make a cool addition to this mod but speaking practically I really don't see a purpose for it because since it was used to test ground stations and you don't need to test them in KSP it would probably be as useless as it was in reality.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:51 PM, biohazard15 said:

Remember kids, don't overfeed your Juno I!

YcmOCgx.png

OH MY GOD I HOPE THAT IS JUST TWEAKSCALE.

On 11/19/2020 at 1:05 AM, computercat04 said:

No offence but, that's disgusting.

That's the idea!

On 11/19/2020 at 2:24 AM, Minmus Taster said:

*Gags

My thoughts exactly.

3 hours ago, Delta dart said:

OH MY GOD I HOPE THAT IS JUST TWEAKSCALE.

Actually, it is not! Tanks come from Restock (or was it Restock+?), and the lower part is a 3.75m launch plate. Maybe also from Restock. Or Restock+. I don't remember TBH - both are in my standard mod pack. Or maybe it's a stock part? The engine is offset into the tanks, obviously.

This partucular design can launch the Juno stuff at about 100 km suborbital, and Sergeant stack is then able to put it into 100km x about 1200km orbit. So yeah, it's not just ugly, it's actually (and somewhat surprisingly) functional :) You can add one (or more) 3.75m pancake tanks for better result.

2 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

this is Juno 1 Abuse! I must call the Juno Help service!

You probably should also call Nuclear Rocket Support line, as this is obviously an abuse of orbital nuclear engine :)

Edited by biohazard15