[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Pioneer config work is finished. All experiments, descriptions, etc should be totally finished now. If there are any problems, please let me know. The more  people that test out the parts, the closer we’ll be to a release. These fixes are also merged into the GitHub Apollo branch, so you will be able to test this stuff even if you want to keep the Apollo parts in your game.

any suggestion on how to use the atmospheric probe.  I can't attach it below the Pioneer... AND attach a SRM no matter how I try (using the parts tagged with Pioneer 10  and the Star 37)

I'm not sure if this is a flaw in this MOD or in Waterfall, but, I've noticed that if I have waterfall installed, something is failing to find WATERFALL_SETTINGS.cfg. When that happens, the game just exits. The reason I'm bringing it up here is that it seems that waterfall_core is now a dependency...but I don't see that in changelog anywhere.

So, is anyone else experiencing the same or a similar issue, or is it just me?

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

any suggestion on how to use the atmospheric probe.  I can't attach it below the Pioneer... AND attach a SRM no matter how I try (using the parts tagged with Pioneer 10  and the Star 37)

Works fine for me? I included pictures on how it's supposed to look:

Without adapter and Star-37:
RZFCioN.png

With adapter and Star-37:
QZH7j3y.png

1 minute ago, Invaderchaos said:

Works fine for me? I included pictures on how it's supposed to look:

Without adapter and Star-37:
RZFCioN.png

With adapter and Star-37:
QZH7j3y.png

huh, I seem to be missing that gold foil nesting decoupler (or I didn't see it.    ALT-TAB)

Doh, didn't see the note about the decoupler... Thanks!

1 minute ago, Pappystein said:

huh, I seem to be missing that gold foil nesting decoupler (or I didn't see it.    ALT-TAB)

Doh, didn't see the note about the decoupler... Thanks!

It has b9 part switch paint variants. I think in the part menu it’s just grey without foil.

22 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

The more  people that test out the parts

Do you have a sec to commit your latest sample craft for pnr10? They make getting started on this many parts much easier. Thanks again for all this excellent work!

edit: Pioneer TwentySomething heads to Venus:

Spoiler

A favorite launch vehicle fit the bill quite nicely:

R309qjF.png

bsEckv0.png

ysvI5uj.png

xdiNwN7.png

Just a couple of km above the clouds ...

oOvWBLx.png

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
screenshot tax

Sorry if this actually isnt related to BDB (probably isnt lol).. But does anyone else have issues with the centaur upper stage tank when using conformal decals on it? (note: this does NOT happen without the decals present). Whenever I jettison the tank insulation my log file is getting slammed with a repeating error. It results in the log becoming 100's of mb's pretty quickly and then a short while later the game gets incredibly laggy as a result and will eventually crash.

It seems if I jettison the insulation in the atmosphere, the errors appear to start imediately, where as there seems to be a delay if I do it while already in orbit. If i jettison the insulation on the pad, no errors till after I launch and reach maybe around 1000 meters up. I'm trying to remove a few mods each time I restart the game to try and narrow down some more specifics with it so maybe I can isolate some sort of mod conflict or at the very least get the log to a more manageable size, but it is taking forever via trial and error because of the load times and the log size etc.

Obviously I can't even say for sure what the root cause is just yet, but it only happens if I have conformal decals on the part and the error lines that are repeated 1000's of times in the log mention conformal decals so I assume theres a connection between them and this error (maybe i need to ask in the conformal decals thread instead?). Just wondering if maybe anyone would have some ideas that could make troubleshooting this a bit more efficient.

Also seems if I save the game after this starts happening and then reload the save, the error stops.

Could it just be an issue with attaching the decals to a jettisonable section of a part? I have no issue with the atlas booster stage that also has decals on it, and no issues with any saturn stages that I have decals on them.. But if it was just an issue with decals on jettisonable parts I would think that I would have found someone else here having this issue because there is no way I'm the only person who has put 'united states' down the side of their atlas-centaur rocket lol.

I know this isn't probably useful at all without the entire logfile but this is what is repeated 1000s of times in the log. Uploading and posting a 500+ mb log file seems excessive at the current moment and I'm just hoping maybe someone might be able to say 'try this..' or 'remove mod XXXX...' etc:

Spoiler

[EXC 13:08:14.119] NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Transform.get_localToWorldMatrix () (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    ConformalDecals.ProjectionTarget.Render (UnityEngine.Material decalMaterial, UnityEngine.MaterialPropertyBlock partMPB, UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at <65cef3650e6d4a2b96dbe6be3ea77726>:0)
    ConformalDecals.ModuleConformalDecal.Render (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at <65cef3650e6d4a2b96dbe6be3ea77726>:0)
    UnityEngine.Camera.FireOnPreCull (UnityEngine.Camera cam) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

starting to think I need to do a completely fresh reinstall sooner than later just to clean out all the mod stuff of my current install.

10 minutes ago, diamond-optic said:

Sorry if this actually isnt related to BDB (probably isnt lol).. But does anyone else have issues with the centaur upper stage tank when using conformal decals on it? (note: this does NOT happen without the decals present). Whenever I jettison the tank insulation my log file is getting slammed with a repeating error. It results in the log becoming 100's of mb's pretty quickly and then a short while later the game gets incredibly laggy as a result and will eventually crash.

It seems if I jettison the insulation in the atmosphere, the errors appear to start imediately, where as there seems to be a delay if I do it while already in orbit. If i jettison the insulation on the pad, no errors till after I launch and reach maybe around 1000 meters up. I'm trying to remove a few mods each time I restart the game to try and narrow down some more specifics with it so maybe I can isolate some sort of mod conflict or at the very least get the log to a more manageable size, but it is taking forever via trial and error because of the load times and the log size etc.

Obviously I can't even say for sure what the root cause is just yet, but it only happens if I have conformal decals on the part and the error lines that are repeated 1000's of times in the log mention conformal decals so I assume theres a connection between them and this error (maybe i need to ask in the conformal decals thread instead?). Just wondering if maybe anyone would have some ideas that could make troubleshooting this a bit more efficient.

Also seems if I save the game after this starts happening and then reload the save, the error stops.

Could it just be an issue with attaching the decals to a jettisonable section of a part? I have no issue with the atlas booster stage that also has decals on it, and no issues with any saturn stages that I have decals on them.. But if it was just an issue with decals on jettisonable parts I would think that I would have found someone else here having this issue because there is no way I'm the only person who has put 'united states' down the side of their atlas-centaur rocket lol.

I know this isn't probably useful at all without the entire logfile but this is what is repeated 1000s of times in the log. Uploading and posting a 500+ mb log file seems excessive at the current moment and I'm just hoping maybe someone might be able to say 'try this..' or 'remove mod XXXX...' etc:

Reveal hidden contents

[EXC 13:08:14.119] NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Transform.get_localToWorldMatrix () (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    ConformalDecals.ProjectionTarget.Render (UnityEngine.Material decalMaterial, UnityEngine.MaterialPropertyBlock partMPB, UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at <65cef3650e6d4a2b96dbe6be3ea77726>:0)
    ConformalDecals.ModuleConformalDecal.Render (UnityEngine.Camera camera) (at <65cef3650e6d4a2b96dbe6be3ea77726>:0)
    UnityEngine.Camera.FireOnPreCull (UnityEngine.Camera cam) (at <12e76cd50cc64cf19e759e981cb725af>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    KSPe.Util.Log.UnityLogDecorator:UnityEngine.ILogHandler.LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

starting to think I need to do a completely fresh reinstall sooner than later just to clean out all the mod stuff of my current install.

This is outside my area of expertise but the jettisonable panels on the centaur is not quite like the atlas skirt (which is a regular part) and are more like an engine auto shroud or SAF fairing, a type of object called "PhysicalObjects" or something like that. So it wouldn't surprise me if the behaviour on that was different. I would check with CineboxAndrew on the Conformal Decals thread though, to see whats going on. 

CD does after all support SAF fairings and Auto shrouds without problems but he should be able to give a clearer insight into what happened I think.

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

CD does after all support SAF fairings

My experience has been that CD works on some of the BDB SAF fairings, but not others. Would this be an issue for CD or BDB? Here's the LDC SAF fairing, and it won't show no matter how high or how far out from the part I move the flag. (edit: there are others, too)

Spoiler

vXn9FMe.png

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers
clarification

12 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

My experience has been that CD works on some of the BDB SAF fairings, but not others. Would this be an issue for CD or BDB? Here's the LDC SAF fairing, and it won't show no matter how high or how far out from the part I move the flag:

Reveal hidden contents

vXn9FMe.png

Decals for SAF need to be placed directly on the *base* for the fairing. And then translated onto the SAF portion of that part. You seem to have placed it way below?

For this to work, the base must support surface attach, I believe all the BDB SAF bases have surface attach allowed but if its missing anywhere please let me know and I will correct it.

unknown.png?width=994&height=763

22 minutes ago, ksp player said:

Does this work with RSS/RO?

something like 70-80% of parts are configured for RO. Please note that the RO configs for BDB are maintained on the RO side and not by us.

PS. some of our models are separately used in RO_Engines and RO_Capsules mods.

Edited by Zorg

Apollo 12: Sailors on the Ocean of Storms:

Uhh, credit to Andrew Chaikin for the title of this one, read his book if you haven't already...

7zr8dse.png

Some years prior to the first manned flights to the Moon, the robotic Surveyor 3 spacecraft bounced to a stop just inside the rim of a shallow crater in the eastern region of Oceanus Procellarum, the Ocean of Storms. Although it has long since gona defunct, it still has one final role to play in lunar exploration; that of a target for the first pinpoint landing of the Apollo program. Apollo 11's landing site was charted as a broad ellipse, with no particular landmark or surface feature being targeted for Eagle's touchdown. While such an approach was fine for early exploration and test missions, later lunar landings required the ability to accurately target a specific point on the surface to make the most of their more capable equipment. To demonstrate the feasibility of such a mission Apollo 12 will attempt to set down within walking distance of the Surveyor's aging hulk. Additionally, it will double the duration of time on the surface and deploy the first ALSEP to begin the collection of long-term experimental data from the Moon.

Launch to lunar touchdown:

79e3Ma7.png

On a dreary November evening, the all-Navy crew of Apollo 12 sets off on their journey. Although not technically a night launch, the incoming stormy weather casts dark shadows across Cape Kennedy and rainclouds soon obscure the Saturn V from observers on the ground.

Look, I'm not gonna simulate a lightning strike for authenticity's sake. I do these flights to enjoy myself.

9THZqSl.png

Following an UNEVENTFUL launch, parking orbit, and TLI, Yankee-Clipper retrieves Intrepid from the spent Saturn third stage.

J1CHDFZ.png

I played around with some more TUFX configs on this flight, mostly the same ones other regulars on this thread have been using. Not sure which one I like the most, but they each have their moments.

7IPyZK7.png

Mx2ECAQ.png

az9nAJM.png

gMKJYBd.png

NP4cpx3.png

On flight day 5, Intrepid undocks, flies around Yankee-Clipper so the two spacecraft can photograph each other, and then begins her descent to the plains of Oceanus Procellarum.

lw9E55L.png

iElNbAz.png

ArQk8Ik.png

Some sixty minutes later, the second LM rests on lunar soil, not two hundred meters from one of its predecessors.

EVA 1:

XupOMmC.png

2r01V7z.png

Almost immediately, the crew begins preparing for the first EVA, in which they will essentially repeat the procedures of Apollo 11. After collecting contingency samples, the crew will unpack and deploy the ALSEP experiments, then set up their flag and collect a more thorough sample of the area around their landing site. The Surveyor probe will be visited tomorrow, on the second EVA.

GnROz48.png

For now though, the crew takes a moment to peer across the crater and make certain they are in the correct spot.

b6OP1qm.png

While the CDR carries the central station to a suitable location, the LMP opens the RTG fuel cask and prepares the ALSEP's power source.

eSR8UMD.png

The Apollo 12 ALSEP features a materials study unit, a high-gain antenna, and a passive seismometer. With the latter now functioning properly, all future Apollo missions will direct their S-IVB stages to impact the Moon after transposition and docking to allow the experiment to collect data on the geological makeup of the Moon's interior.

gLJA75E.png

Like before, the Stars and Stripes are raised on the Moon, just to let all the other inferior nations know who got there first (and now also second).

FiCjhiq.png

With that, EVA 1 is complete. The crew return to Intrepid and retire for the night. Although this moonwalk was only about two-thirds as long as the one on Apollo 11, there will be a second one tomorrow. That EVA will be dedicated to geological study of the surrounding terrain, as well as investigation of Surveyor 3.

0n8W7dq.png

7sXZWg0.png

Meanwhile, Yankee-Clipper makes use of its sextant to photograph Intrepid's landing site from orbit.

EVA 2 to Earth splashdown:

D8h0kbG.png

Ten hours later, the crew emerges onto the surface for the second time, prepared to collect definitive proof of their on-target landing.

aAGZ0sd.png

First, however, they visit the ALSEP site to check up on the equipment there.

8K9QPJt.png

Satisfied with their science station's status, they embark on a carefully-planned traverse around the area which will culminate in the arrival at Surveyor 3.

838zNM0.png

Not long after this, Surveyor 3 receives its first visitors in nearly three years. For the first time in history, man has caught up with one of his robotic scouts.

r9Qu0jo.png

iClGX9o.png

The astronauts remove pieces of the spacecraft for return to Earth, chief among them the television camera mounted to the spacecraft's side.

de9NSY4.png

Unlike Conrad and Bean, the crew of my Apollo 12 doesn't need a fancy camera timer to take a cheeky shot of the both of them with their prize. Looks like TIME Magazine will get their cover photo after all.

TDWRY8y.png

Observers on Earth have complained that with both astronauts in identical spacesuits it can be difficult to tell them apart on the television footage. Beginning on the next mission, the commander's suit will feature distinctive red stripes so he can be more easily identified.

O1PC14o.png

axRzrpc.png

Finished with Surveyor, the crew begins the trek back around to their lander. Perhaps in the future a third spacecraft will visit the site, and its crew will pick apart the remains of Intrepid like Apollo 12 has done to Surveyor. Until then, however, this crater in the Ocean of Storms will remain as it has been until just recently; silent and desolate.

lt2GJAr.png

The crew ascends Intrepid's ladder for the final time to enjoy a few more hours of rest before they take off and rendezvous with Yankee-Clipper.

xsP0K4q.png

YX6eYJW.png

Apollo 12 is the first mission to follow a new single-orbit rendezvous profile which returns the LM to the CM in less than half the time as before. However, this also causes the docking to occur in lunar darkness. Fortunately, the CDR and CMP are both veterans of Gemini docking missions, and the procedure is completed without issue.

Kqx7ldY.png

One orbit later Intrepid is jettisoned and set to impact the lunar surface not far from its original landing site. Its crash will provide some of the first seismic data for the new ALSEP on the surface.

17j9cLU.png

m1xSg4n.png

The command module, meanwhile, will remain in lunar orbit another two days. During this time the crew will photograph landing sites planned for future Apollo missions. The most important sites on this list are Fra Mauro (first image) and Descartes (second image), assigned to Apollos 13 and 16, respectively. Secondary targets include the Marius Hills and Hyginus Rille. Due to Yankee-Clipper's orbital track, a few sites are out of reach and will need to be imaged on subsequent missions, namely Littrow (Apollo 14), Aristarchus/Schroter's Valley, and Hadley-Apennine.

ehDU4yI.png

Anyway, TEI happened on the dark side of the Moon and I forgot to take photos of the return voyage. To avoid posting the same old 'parachutes' image that has accompanied all these reports, here's a still of the crew awaiting recovery from inside their capsule.

Coming up next, Apollo 13 and the Big Goof.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Apollo 12: Sailors on the Ocean of Storms:

Uhh, credit to Andrew Chaikin for the title of this one, read his book if you haven't already...

7zr8dse.png

Some years prior to the first manned flights to the Moon, the robotic Surveyor 3 spacecraft bounced to a stop just inside the rim of a shallow crater in the eastern region of Oceanus Procellarum, the Ocean of Storms. Although it has long since gona defunct, it still has one final role to play in lunar exploration; that of a target for the first pinpoint landing of the Apollo program. Apollo 11's landing site was charted as a broad ellipse, with no particular landmark or surface feature being targeted for Eagle's touchdown. While such an approach was fine for early exploration and test missions, later lunar landings required the ability to accurately target a specific point on the surface to make the most of their more capable equipment. To demonstrate the feasibility of such a mission Apollo 12 will attempt to set down within walking distance of the Surveyor's aging hulk. Additionally, it will double the duration of time on the surface and deploy the first ALSEP to begin the collection of long-term experimental data from the Moon.

Coming up next, Apollo 13 and the Big Goof.

holy moly! this is amazing!

4 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

holy moly! this is amazing!

You think so? I mean, I'm super glad to hear it but at the end of the day this is just a normal Apollo-Saturn mission profile.

But if you think this is great, wait til I visit Hadley on '15...

On 11/26/2021 at 7:32 AM, GoldForest said:

Okay, time to address the glaring issue... the spacing... I neglected to test fit the modules together before sending them up, a major mistake on my part. While Apollo isn't colliding with physically with Starlab's RCS pack, the bypass for the connection hook is clipping visually. I plan on redoing Starlab and moving some things around, so expect to see some major changes. Story wise, nothing will really change, only the visuals. 

Couldn't a Engineer kerbal just shift it ever so slightly?

@CobaltWolf have you ever considered Sea Dragon parts?