[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

6 minutes ago, JustDark said:

LONG LONG MAAAAAAAAAAAAN
unknown.png?width=1202&height=676

Hide contents

I would ask for Skylab length switches to fit alongside the S-IVB length switches, but I think the devs might actually shoot me

Centaur 3 Wetlab OR Wethab tank + Asbury Masten Xeus lander thing = instant lunar base

1 hour ago, JustDark said:

I would ask for Skylab length switches to fit alongside the S-IVB length switches, but I think the devs might actually shoot me

Actually Length switches for CREWED locations I believe are impossible... it is a limitation of how the game engine works and B9PS can not work around it.   The Dev Team, including Blowfish the creator of B9PS would be better to comment but I thought I would tag this now

The issue being you can not add or subtract crew spots with B9PS

Edited by Pappystein

6 minutes ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Would it still be possible, just without changing crew capacity?

Yes. But I also don't want to. The assets weren't made with switching in mind and there is an IVA that hopefully I will finish one day. 

I dunno what mod is causing this but this keeps happening to me lol, I need to track down which (probably BDBNIC needs an update, if there is one)

AR4q4W4.png

EDIT: I didn't read and Aryam's BDBNIC (https://github.com/Araym-KSP/BDBNIC) is for the dev branch, my bad

EDIT EDIT: Maybe it's Bella-TU, who knows

Edited by bigyihsuan

Ares-3 (fictional but based on a similary-named rocket family (not the constellation ares btw)

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

imaging beeing multiple thousands of years in the future and seeing a shuttle-C with comically large engines passing by your colony ship

unknown.png

53 minutes ago, bigyihsuan said:

I dunno what mod is causing this but this keeps happening to me lol, I need to track down which (probably BDBNIC needs an update, if there is one)

AR4q4W4.png

EDIT: I didn't read and Aryam's BDBNIC (https://github.com/Araym-KSP/BDBNIC) is for the dev branch, my bad

EDIT EDIT: Maybe it's Bella-TU, who knows

Yeah it’s def Bella-TU, if you reload on the pad it will be fine. Her mod hasn’t been active for a while so bugs aren’t likely to be fixed.

1 minute ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Yeah it’s def Bella-TU, if you reload on the pad it will be fine. Her mod hasn’t been active for a while so bugs aren’t likely to be fixed.

13 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

I got a similar issue using Bella-TU, try uninstalling it and see if it's fixed?

Thanks, I'll try it out next KSP session since the load times are so long lately.

In other BDB-related issues, this is the third time that I've had the LM docking port "stick" to the CM engine bell and somehow dock to the engine bell (when the engine definitely doesn't have a docking port). I have a mod that plays a sound on docking, and I heard it play just after opening the petal adapter, and not getting the CM moving forward in time.

SSOYTvh.png

What are the Bossart -1X and ADLV parts for?

Im also struggling a little to find the engine appropriate to the Bossart-II.  The unofficial wiki seems to use a different set of names for some of the parts. Edit: disregard the Bossart-II engines question, its the upgraded config from Booster upgrade 2.

Edited by blu3wolf
Answered second question

14 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

Oh, I like that idea. This will let me keep using my Bossart designs as I approach the Sarnus engines!

Thanks very much for the quick advice.

See also "Atlas Unflown" page of the wiki

I'll make a note about the engines if it's not immediately clear where to find them

13 minutes ago, Friznit said:

See also "Atlas Unflown" page of the wiki

I'll make a note about the engines if it's not immediately clear where to find them

On the note of the wiki, Im currently assembling a Belle Target Vehicle using your (very helpful) wiki. I went looking for a little more detailed view on how the acquisition lights were attached, and found this on StackExchange: 2X41OI7.png

I note that image has a different positioning of the approach lights to your build example:

88409664-2f133880-cdcd-11ea-94d2-d550023

Your build example above has the lights on the materials bay, rather than the TRU as in the image above. I dont know the origin of the image, so I dont know whether its authoritative or not, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Edit: I might be mistaken here... these approach lights seem to possibly be different to the running lights. Ill position my running lights there anyway as I think it looks good :)

Edited by blu3wolf
Not as smart as I think I am!

The Integrated Program Plan (1969)
Manned martian landing, part one
Screenshot_10171.png

The IPP, and in particular Grenning's Maximum Program which this recreation follows, was a grandiose plan laid out by NASA as a follow up to Apollo spanning over 14 years; it includes, but isn't limited to, earth-to-orbit shuttles, nuclear shuttles, space bases with a crew of 50 people, permanent lunar outposts, 41 INT-21 launches and finally with humanity setting foot on mars as early as 1982 on which this post focuses on.

Spoiler

1080_1022_18.jpg?w=20481080_1022_19.jpg?w=2048

This post focuses on the buildup to the mission, which sees involved two mars transfer vehicles, an earth-to-orbit shuttle, six nuclear shuttles and various INT-21 and space tugs (plus fuel depots and the space base) and covers everything up until TMI. The next post instead will cover the various phases between TMI and landing and the return to Earth

The first launch is the one of the Shuttle, for which I chose the Starclipper since at the time it was the prevalent design apparently (like the one below) and appears in most official IPP artworks. However, if congress really proceeded with the funding requested for these plans NASA probably would have gone with one of the many fully reusable shuttle designs that were being made, for obvious reasons.

Screenshot_9678.png

mJD88sv.pngnEA2ZET.pngG0057EL.pngN4IyhJy.png

The Earth-to-orbit Shuttle now approact to the space base. It is a very large space station with a permanent crew between 50 and 100, constructed in three INT-21 launches during the late 70s with S-II sized modules plus various shuttles and includes a workshop to repair satellites, both space-facing and earth-facing instruments and artificial gravity. It is based on Robert Gilruth's "million pound" space station design of 1968 shown below

Spoiler

S-68-2913.jpg

whhvKNl.png
Here is a showcase of the artificial gravity, since I have no idea how to embed a gif or mp4
https://i.imgur.com/X9ViDGV.mp4

Docking:

TlLGlLA.jpg
WPF51no.png
6SWLxve.pngwYEEQFc.png

Now it's time for the launch of the Planetary Mission Module and the Mars Excursion Module combined on an uprated INT-21, as well as the various probes used in the mission. The launch also reaches the space base for checkouts and crew transfer from the Starclipper shuttle

Spoiler

1080_1022_17.jpg?w=3000&h=

othp1Jf.png

n8gJ4Qt.jpgY80z9zc.pngTx2HLJ7.pngJx506qU.pngCCjTViZ.pngTBOs1bP.png9GyZQY8.png

and Space Tug-assisted docking next to the Starclipper of both this spacecraft and an identical one launched soon after
ChjVxuO.png

OhNIhvF.pngADZ82sG.png0hkjqxS.pngzsWxI3c.png9re8JSH.pnguOD1DmH.pngQtNBhQ8.png

Time for the Reusable Nuclear Shuttle!

Spoiler

nuclear_shuttle_payloads.jpg
unknown.png

Of the various designs that were studied by Rockwell I went for the hybrid configuration with the tank launched upside down and the NERVA launched on the Shuttle separately, partially because that seems to be the configuration that appears most frequently on IPP drawings from the 70s

lIuiiGo.pngYKT4UbU.pngidFWgiM.pngp995ODi.pngpxnN1CF.pngc7RTmbn.pngpwysNYP.png5spQHkk.pngq7uMgFU.png

Due to weight constrains, the RNS is launched with tanks only half filled; not even the power of an INT-21 could lift it to orbit otherwise. Because of this, its next step is making a tug-assisted docking at one of the many fuel depots in LEO; for this I took a Douglas concept that is a little older and updated it to be more realistic with radiators, solar panels and coolant. This one also features what was supposed to be the main role of the Shuttle at the time, which is to transport fuel to orbital stations and hydrolox space tugs.

The second part, instead, shows the NERVA engine that was carried to orbit on a Shuttle being mated to its tank to complete the RNS assembly

Spoiler

douglas-station63.jpg
ji1n2wx2ahv61.png?width=1024&format=png&

HEe8eMQ.pngpfbgYxO.pngqWAUCwH.pngP5wlIvY.pngxPeBH5l.png

M7kTXXK.png9Ix0pj2.pngSbcyvGQ.pngWD0q9S2.png

WajVZk1.png

It's time for the final assembly: the interplanetary spacecrafts undocks from the space base together with a space tug and meets with three RNS each; two of those were launched specifically for this mission, while the other 4 were already in orbit for transportation to lunar orbit and to the GEO space station.

BL2rOxC.pngfH2VjTS.pngSHFXs6s.png
HDVH3hA.pngnM6u1a0.pngSEtI5XV.pnghDJnuAR.pngGhygZGW.pngIyr40KH.pngCX83ni5.png

g04wJRa.png
Now that that the twin spacecrafts have been assembled and the final checkouts completed, the clock has started: the two lateral NERVA engines ignite at the same time, launching 12 brave people on a trans-martian injection, and...
AuhIXFw.png
Well, you'll see next week!

Edited by Beccab

9 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Screenshot_10171.png

The IPP, and in particular Grenning's Maximum Program which this recreation follows, was a grandiose plan laid out by NASA as a follow up to Apollo spanning over 14 years; it includes, but isn't limited to, earth-to-orbit shuttles, nuclear shuttles, space bases with a crew of 50 people, permanent lunar outposts, 41 INT-21 launches and finally with humanity setting foot on mars as early as 1982 on which this post focuses on.

Hide contents

This post focuses on the buildup to the mission, which sees involved two mars transfer vehicles, an earth-to-orbit shuttle, six nuclear shuttles and various INT-21 and space tugs (plus fuel depots and the space base) and covers everything up until TMI. The next post instead will cover the various phases between TMI and landing and the return to Earth

The first launch is the one of the Shuttle, for which I chose the Starclipper since at the time it was the prevalent design apparently (like the one below) and appears in most official IPP artworks. However, if congress really proceeded with the funding requested for these plans NASA probably would have gone with one of the many fully reusable shuttle designs that were being made, for obvious reasons.

Screenshot_9678.png

The Earth-to-orbit Shuttle now approact to the space base. It is a very large space station with a permanent crew between 50 and 100, constructed in three INT-21 launches during the late 70s with S-II sized modules plus various shuttles and includes a workshop to repair satellites, both space-facing and earth-facing instruments and artificial gravity. It is based on Robert Gilruth's "millionth pound" space station design of 1968 shown below

Reveal hidden contents

S-68-2913.jpg

whhvKNl.png
Here is a showcase of the artificial gravity, since I have no idea how to embed a gif or mp4

Docking:

Now it's time for the launch of the Planetary Mission Module and the Mars Excursion Module combined on an uprated INT-21, as well as the various probes used in the mission. The launch also reaches the space base for checkouts and crew transfer from the Starclipper shuttle

Reveal hidden contents

othp1Jf.png

and Space Tug-assisted docking next to the Starclipper of both this spacecraft and an identical one launched soon after
ChjVxuO.png

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Of the various designs that were studied by Rockwell I went for the hybrid configuration with the tank launched upside down and the NERVA launched on the Shuttle separately, partially because that seems to be the configuration that appears most frequently on IPP drawings from the 70s

Due to weight constrains, the RNS is launched with tanks only half filled; not even the power of an INT-21 could lift it to orbit otherwise. Because of this, its next step is making a tug-assisted docking at one of the many fuel depots in LEO; for this I took a Douglas concept that is a little older and updated it to be more realistic with radiators, solar panels and coolant. This one also features what was supposed to be the main role of the Shuttle at the time, which is to transport fuel to orbital stations and hydrolox space tugs.

The second part, instead, shows the NERVA engine that was carried to orbit on a Shuttle being mated to its tank to complete the RNS assembly

Reveal hidden contents

douglas-station63.jpg

WajVZk1.png

It's time for the final assembly: the interplanetary spacecrafts undocks from the space base together with a space tug and meets with three RNS each; two of those were launched specifically for this mission, while the other 4 were already in orbit for transportation to lunar orbit and to the GEO space station.

g04wJRa.png
Now that that the twin spacecrafts have been assembled and the final checkouts completed, the clock has started: the two lateral NERVA engines ignite at the same time, launching 12 brave people on a trans-martian injection, and...
AuhIXFw.png

holy moly! this is extremely epic!

29 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Screenshot_10171.png

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_9678.png

The Earth-to-orbit Shuttle now approact to the space base. It is a very large space station with a permanent crew between 50 and 100, constructed in three INT-21 launches during the late 70s with S-II sized modules plus various shuttles and includes a workshop to repair satellites, both space-facing and earth-facing instruments and artificial gravity. It is based on Robert Gilruth's "millionth pound" space station design of 1968 shown below

Reveal hidden contents

S-68-2913.jpg

whhvKNl.png

Docking:

Reveal hidden contents

othp1Jf.png

ChjVxuO.png

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Reveal hidden contents

douglas-station63.jpg

WajVZk1.png

g04wJRa.png
AuhIXFw.png

can we have the Shuttle/StarClipper on KerbalX?

Edited by Galileo chiu