[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

11 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

It's kind of funny, from orbit the central peak looks really steep and jagged, but up close it's just another mountain. It's low, rounded shape almost reminds me of the lower Appalachians of Tennessee.

The lack of an atmosphere and the low sun angle makes the shadows sharply defined, and it's why the lunar mountains and peaks look jagged through a telescope or from orbit. For a long time that's how the lunar mountains were depicted in artwork, but the reality as you've seen is that everything is smooth and rounded due to eons of bombardment from micrometeroids.

Good evening all,

I've got few questions about this great mod :

- There is a tutorial for the rotating stage for Delta II? I tried to make one with no great success... :confused: If someone know how to proceed, i'll give you a warm thanks.

- For Delta III dual payload fairing (a.k.a. The Holy Ariane IV's Spelda style ♥ ), where do you put the whole fairing? On the satellite, on the base and put the satellite inside? 

Thanks for your help folks! :D

Edited by Space_nico
My Le Baguette Language is sometime stronger than my English one...

1 hour ago, Space_nico said:

Good evening all,

I've got few questions about this great mod :

- There is a tutorial for the rotating stage for Delta II? I tried to make one with no great success... :confused: If someone know how to proceed, i'll give you a warm thanks.

- For Delta III dual payload fairing (a.k.a. The Holy Ariane IV's Spelda style ♥ ), where do you put the whole fairing? On the satellite, on the base and put the satellite inside? 

Thanks for your help folks! :D

1. here is a rough diagramm of how to place (for example) the Star-48/PAM-D on (for example) the Delta-K upper stage

unknown.png

steps during launch:

1. turn off SAS (optional but recommended)

2. stage the ''Spinner''. it will decouple from the Delta-K and spin, making the PAM-D spin-stabilized.

3. Fire the PAM-D and wait until it is burnt out

4. use 2+ yoyo despins to slow down the rotation (NOT pictured above)(optional but recommended)

5. decouple the payload from the PAM-D with a normal 0.9375m decoupler (NOT pictured above)

-----------------------------------

2. when you place the DPA on the delta 3 fairing base or the titan CT-3 (commercial titan), you place the adapter ontop of the first (lower) payload

use a seperate decoupler for the 2nd (upper) payload

1. decouple upper payload

2. decouple DPA

3. decouple lower payload

EDIT: additionally, the CT-3 fairing features 2 nodes, so you don't need to place the DPA ontop of the payload but instead onto the upper fairing node

Edited by Starhelperdude

9 hours ago, JustDark said:

Why no Apollo 20?

Even I have my limits. 

Seriously though, I’m running out of worthwhile landing sites. I’ve sampled almost every biome on the Moon, and I don’t want to land anywhere that wasn’t considered historically. So for Apollo 18 I’m probably going to Schroter’s Valley, even though I’ve already sampled the biome it’s in. I wanted to go to Copernicus for Apollo 19 but since it’s also in Mare Imbrium it would be even more redundant. Right now I’m looking at Gassendi and Mare Humorum, but I’m not sure where I’ll send ‘19 yet.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Even I have my limits. 

Seriously though, I’m running out of worthwhile landing sites. I’ve sampled almost every biome on the Moon, and I don’t want to land anywhere that wasn’t considered historically. So for Apollo 18 I’m probably going to Schroter’s Valley, even though I’ve already sampled the biome it’s in. I wanted to go to Copernicus for Apollo 19 but since it’s also in Mare Imbrium it would be even more redundant. Right now I’m looking at Gassendi and Mare Humorum, but I’m not sure where I’ll send ‘19 yet.

Sounds like the perfect time to transition from exploration to utilization! :)

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Even I have my limits. 

Hyginus Rille was the most likely site to send 19. If you want other considered sites, maybe Marius Hills, or Alphonsus crater? Copernicus was never seriously considered after 12 and 14 because those missions already sampled Copernicus ejecta.

Edited by TaintedLion

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

Hyginus Rille was the most likely site to send 19. If you want other considered sites, maybe Marius Hills, or Alphonsus crater? Copernicus was never seriously considered after 12 and 14 because those missions already sampled Copernicus ejecta.

Yeah Hyginus and Marius have both been on my radar, but the problem with both of those is that I’m pretty sure they’re both in the Oceanus Procellarum biome which I’ve already sampled. Marius Hills also has the added complication of not being big enough to be distinguished with KSRSS’s scale and terrain detail, and without any recognizable features such as the Hole, there’s no reason to land there over any other site. On the other hand somewhere like Copernicus will still retain some identifying features that I can plan the mission around.

Alphonsus… had completely slipped my mind before now. I think Mare Nubium has its own biome in KSRSS, so that might actually be a viable site. Hmm, thanks for the tip.

18 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

xt3N23Y.png

After the Saturn revamp has finished, is there any chance you could look at reworking the crewed Gemini SMs to be more like this? It's awkward to attach the engines, and the docking probe of the new Apollo male port clips into the little window of the endcap, which looks a little odd. Also, what about remaking the Apollo-style 1.5m Gemini SM with the AJ10? This thing-

nLCsD4r.png

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

After the Saturn revamp has finished, is there any chance you could look at reworking the crewed Gemini SMs to be more like this? It's awkward to attach the engines, and the docking probe of the new Apollo male port clips into the little window of the endcap, which looks a little odd. Also, what about remaking the Apollo-style 1.5m Gemini SM with the AJ10? This thing-

nLCsD4r.png

Hmmm... while it is interesting, there's a reason Gemini evolutions use small thrusters instead of a higher-Isp AJ-10:

You need a rear docking port. Up in the front, that's parachutes and RCS, not exactly a good place to put a crew tunnel.

11 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Hmmm... while it is interesting, there's a reason Gemini evolutions use small thrusters instead of a higher-Isp AJ-10:

You need a rear docking port. Up in the front, that's parachutes and RCS, not exactly a good place to put a crew tunnel.

I think that one has side parachutes

5 hours ago, Galileo chiu said:

I think that one has side parachutes

All the Gemini Derived craft have a solid nose.   The Docking nose cone carries Electrical power and electrical command connections only..  There is ZERO room for anything more in that nose cone.   As has been previously stated, the nose RCS would prevent anything or anybody bigger than an electron, going from the nose cone to the cockpit area.   Also the Cockpit does not have room for a person to move "up" into the nose even if there was room in the nose.   

And contrary to some KSP effects and peoples opinion, BigG is not an entirely new capsule designed to allow people to use said docking nose cone.    Please note I do not call it a docking PORT, as a docking port implies a person can fit through it.  

7 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

nLCsD4r.png

Um, those are some very old parts there.   Are they even in the mod anymore (the old Blue Gemini SM was depreciated a long time ago IIRC)???

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Zb8zPBK.png

Decided not to use the Gemini Ferry RCS?     

launching some air into space on a titan IVB

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Unfortunately, the titan 1st(technically 2nd) stage spontaneously combusted, nothing is left of it anymore

Spoiler

What are you looking at?! it exploded! I swear!

unknown.png

LOOK AWAY OR I SWEAR THE FBI WILL KNOCK ON YOUR DOOR!

unknown.png