[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Gemini XI mission, but as it was originally planned: visiting Pegasus III to pick up a piece of the micrometeoroid scanner and demonstrate the satellite interception capability to the USAF.

All of the pics here are in-game screenshots thanks to the amazing Waterfall editor, including the high altitude ones, and only have some filters applied in Gimp!
Yeq6c9O.png
cA2NSiF.pngzCAV0ra.pngy5Pzfjf.png
qA5BPdL.pngEGRXqbe.png

31 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

I have a question: where is the Nuclear experiment package placed on GATV/ADTA?

think it's somewhere near engine

on opposite of the two spheres

or guess at least that's what i believe people have done

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

I have a question: where is the Nuclear experiment package placed on GATV/ADTA?

unknown.png

i usually put it on the engine mount myself (quite low down so that it is propperly covered by the interstage) being honest I don't know if there is a "Propper" build location for it. however if somewhere on the aft engine mount/skirt is probably your best bet

1 minute ago, Adventures said:

I wanted to make a Apollo 15 Recreation and I just wanted to ask if there are any plans for a rover or any mods or workshop stuff to make a rover that fits in the apollo J area?

there aren't plans to make any rover parts as far as i know. although cobalt has said that it might happen in a ksp2 port of the mod if the rover physics are better in low gravity (or at least this is how I interpreted cobaltwolf's answer a few pages back). however there was a rover build shared a few pages ago (it does require other mods like kerbalism though as it was built using parts from it) as for workshop/kerbalx builds. i'm not sure atm but i doubt there would be any. hope this helps!

So the Kane landing contracts require you to take a magnetometer scan when landed. Does the MLEM have a magnetometer mounted normally that Im missing? So far as I can tell it does not, but quite possibly Im just not seeing it.

Edit: Also, the MLEM-CRD Cosmic Ray Detector doesnt feature in the Apollo issue - is it supposed to be attached to the descent stage?

Edited by blu3wolf

6 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

So the Kane landing contracts require you to take a magnetometer scan when landed. Does the MLEM have a magnetometer mounted normally that Im missing? So far as I can tell it does not, but quite possibly Im just not seeing it.

Edit: Also, the MLEM-CRD Cosmic Ray Detector doesnt feature in the Apollo issue - is it supposed to be attached to the descent stage?

It's been hard to find good sources on this but in this photo you can see the cosmic ray detector hung from one of Challenger's landing legs:

Apollo 17 Experiments - Cosmic Ray Detector

My guess is that it was probably installed there after landing, similar to how the cosmic experiment on Apollo 16 was set up on EVA. On that mission, however, the experiment looked a little different:

Apollo 16 Experiments - Cosmic Ray Detector

The late Saturn I Instrument Unit (block II) used on SA-8 through SA-10 (pegasus missions) is now available (as a switch of the default S4 IU) on github, along with the science definition for the pegasus micrometeorite experiment.

screenshot508.png
screenshot514.png
screenshot517.png
screenshot518.png
screenshot511.png

This means content for Pegasus is officially complete! (besides any misc bug that might appear lol)

Edited by Invaderchaos

3 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

The late Saturn I Instrument Unit (block II) used on SA-8 through SA-10 (pegasus missions) is now available (as a switch of the default S4 IU) on github, along with the science definition for the pegasus micrometeorite experiment.

screenshot508.png
screenshot514.png
screenshot517.png
screenshot518.png
screenshot511.png

This means content for Pegasus is officially complete! (besides any misc bug that might appear lol)

Excellent! Thank you for adding the alternate IU. The dev team's commitment to historical accuracy is commendable.

Hello,

I've been having some issues with the Corona heatshield (SG-RV3) overheating during reentry. It would seem the part doesn't generate sufficient drag to decelerate the return capsule before it manages to melt at around 30 km. I'm using RescaleZ 365 3.2X with 100% reentry heating and deorbit using about 40 m/s from 119km x 119km to a periapsis of about 30 km (~4,100 m/s velocity). I had some nearly critical temperatures with JNSQ in a previous version, but that is a smaller scale.

Compared to other heatshields, this one severely under performs. It tends to fall apart before it's finished using up its ablator. I tested the Hermes capsule and its heatshield, and the stock 2.5m capsule with stock heatshield, and those worked as intended from the same trajectory. Attaching the stock 0.625m heatshield to the bottom of the Corona pod (SG-RV1) functioned properly and decelerated without issues. Oddly enough, the pod itself decelerates better than the heatshield after the heatshield melts.

I'm going to have to say it's probably something on your end.  I'm running on 2.5x JNSQ and rarely use more than 30% of the total ablator and never get super hot.  Are you sure you're staying nose first all the way down?

I was testing the S1D-BE4 Booster Skirt and saw something inexplicable before splashdown, so I reverted and filmed it, and here it is.

What you'll see if you at about 1:17ish is that at 70m, something hits the water - but it's not "me" ... and then the engine mount tips over like it's in the water, and then nosedives the last 10m. And watch the surface velocity - the mystery splash at 70m slows me down, then it speeds back up again after the nosedive. Is this ... ghosts?

Spoiler

btw, I was trying to determine how many of the radial chutes 4 F1's need to slow down enough to survive ...

On 3/5/2022 at 3:32 PM, DaveyJ576 said:

@InvaderchaosI have assembled and launched the Pegasus, and currently have it flying at 130km on KSRSS. When I try to run the micrometeorite experiment, I get back a response that it "can't be conducted within an atmosphere". Seems strange. Did I goon something up?

Nah, its on my end I think. Pretty sure I know what I did wrong. A fix will be up some point today

On 3/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, CAPFlyer said:

I'm going to have to say it's probably something on your end.  I'm running on 2.5x JNSQ and rarely use more than 30% of the total ablator and never get super hot.  Are you sure you're staying nose first all the way down?

Yes, always heatshield forward.  I tested on my old 1.11 JNSQ install and used up the entire ablator, but the max critical temp was stopped around 2,200K and the drag managed the rest. That was on a trajectory from 127km x 127 km, 54 m/s burn down to 129km x 31 km. A major difference is the atmosphere height being 85km in JNSQ and 70km in RescaleZ. Something in one of RescaleZ's configs might be outdated, maybe in the Physics.cfg where it mentions ablator.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:03 AM, NyanTurian said:

I'm using RescaleZ 365 3.2X

27 minutes ago, NyanTurian said:

A major difference is the atmosphere height being 85km in JNSQ and 70km in RescaleZ.

You're on a 3x rescale and your atmo stops at 70km? It's like 90k in KSRSS at 2.5x and just slightly lower in JNSQ at 2.7x. That number seems odd, especially considering the effects you're seeing.

15 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

6ZrID45.png

The crew of Apollo 18 gazing into the blinding white pit of Aristarchus crater, counting the days until the new ALSEP equipment drops...

What settings get your visors that gold and opaque? Mine are very shiny but only a pale gold and still fairly transparent.