[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

22 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I would highly recommend using mechjeb Prime Vector Guidance instead of Classic Ascent profile to manage your launch. PVG is based on real world guidance algorithms and uses a fixed pitch program initially followed by a closed loop guidance phase (iirc originally based on published Atlas centaur guidance but since refined into its own thing.)

Check the section I wrote on PVG in the wiki here including a dedicated section for Saturn IB. Make sure the SM is set to orbital config or it will be too heavy. Make sure to ditch the abort tower immediately after S4B staging as well. Saturn IB has been verified from equitorial launches (using the base engine configs) in JNSQ and Kennedy launches in KSRSS 2.5x using PVG. Re Saturn I and boiler plates I will try to test it today or tomorrow.

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Launching-and-Trajectories

With the current dev build I had verified these 

--IRL reference
Apollo 7, 227x301km, 31.6deg

Tested (orbits altitude above atmosphere is scaled for equivalency)

- Orbital config Apollo to LKO, JNSQ - KSC 120x120km 0 deg

- Orbital config Apollo to LKO, KSRSS 2.5x - Kennedy 128x146km 32 deg (TAC LS)

Right, forgot about that. Cassic assumes a natural kerbin, right? So yeah. @BNSF1995 Definitely switch to PVG. 

37 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Right, forgot about that. Cassic assumes a natural kerbin, right? So yeah. @BNSF1995 Definitely switch to PVG. 

from what I understand classic follows a fix flight path it aims for. While PVG actually reacts to the rocket performance and adjusts reactively to achieve the target orbit (once the dumb fixed pitch program is over and closed loop guidance takes over). I suppose there is a classic profile that would work for the Saturn I/IB but you need a lot of experimentation to shape it correctly.

Edited by Zorg

27 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

it has been a couple months for me, but you can get Saturn IB (early engines) into JNSQ orbit with Classic pretty easily.   I set two things, the Launch curve is almost 90%, and the Zero AOA altitude reference is 30km ABOVE my max orbit sought to do so.   And as Zorg has stated, Jettison the LET at S-IVB separation (so before the J-2 ignites but after the S-IB-260 stage separates.   Now I am using my Hypergolic fuel patch that JSO helped me develop several years ago so the CM is AZ50/NTO instead of Liquid Fuel/Oxidizer.   But aside for that, I am bone stock with the BDB parts.   I do have to fire the CM's AJ-10 for the last 50 or so m/s.  I get about a ~160x130km orbit.  

So in the Mechjeb Classic launch window editor (where the curve is.)  I set it to typically 75-85% which makes for a tall launch (what is needed for High Weight High Impulse low thrust rockets like Saturn IB and ETS Saturn Multibody)   I set the 0 AOA altitude to 30km ABOVE my desired orbit.   This makes the nose of your rocket point up until it is in orbit.    This makes the upper stage more efficient for the mass it is carrying.  

Just now, Zorg said:

from what I understand classic follows a fix flight path it aims for. While PVG actually reacts to the spacecraft performance and adjusts reactively to achieve the target orbit (once the dumb fixed pitch program is over and closed loop guidance takes over).

Yes and No,  Classic allows for extra options but by default they are all off.... The biggest one is the 0 AOA altitude (I can't remember it's actual name right now and don't have 15 minutes to load KSP)     If you set it above the max altitude you are seeking the rocket doesn't follow the rails in so much as it seeks the altitude you set.   If you set the 0 AOA button to default (60KM, your rocket is highly efficent for a light load but with something that is heavy like a CSM stack on Apollo... it is a great way to burn up in Atmosphere.

OK found a photo

Automatic Altitude Turn: needs to be turned off   <--- this is the most important step to allowing Lofted flights with Classic Ascent (and given PVG NEVER works for me no matter who's tutorial I follow.....)

Turn End altitude, set above your ideal max altitude of your orbit (I start with 30km+ desired orbit in km so for a 160km orbit I set it to 190km)  **I have never set this more than 100km above my desired orbit and the larger the orbit you seek the less important this is**

Turn Shape: Set to somewhere between 75% and 95% (do not set it to 100%)   I would try launching at 75% with the above steps... and if it is CLOSE then up the percentage in 5% bouts.

OH WAIT. I remember now there was also that problem with one of the SLAs, I think the one with the jettisonable panels which has excessive drag. I havent been able to figure out how to fix that with a custom drag cube so far. If you're using that please switch to the one with the attached hinged panels. 

edit: regardless PVG is generally still a better choice imo.

Edited by Zorg

42 minutes ago, chaos113 said:

how did you make the  bottom of the first segment 

The part with the RS-25s? 

Saturn IB interstage
Saturn S4B to adapter (Set to 3.75 I think)
SOCK engine mount (Part clipped up into the S4B adapter to make it look like it was naturally tapering somewhat)

6 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

New Content and Features

- Saturn Nova Rocket

You should be fired from April first Joke making for this one right here!  :P

6 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

- 58 additional texture variants for agena to represent every single flown and unflown variant of Agena

Gosh I hope I didn't trigger that with my request for slightly more authentic Agenas (the B being longer than D etc) 

Over all, I give you 10/10 for a Good April Fools joke InvaderChaos!    Well played! :D

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The part with the RS-25s? 

Saturn IB interstage
Saturn S4B to adapter (Set to 3.75 I think)
SOCK engine mount (Part clipped up into the S4B adapter to make it look like it was naturally tapering somewhat)

I think they are referring to the Orange on the SRB's lowest two segments (well at KSC it would be one segment but at the factory that is TWO segments)

Edited by Pappystein

9 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

You should be fired from April first Joke making for this one right here!  :P

Gosh I hope I didn't trigger that with my request for slightly more authentic Agenas (the B being longer than D etc) 

Over all, I give you 10/10 for a Good April Fools joke InvaderChaos!    Well played! :D

I think they are referring to the Orange on the SRB's lowest two segments (well at KSC it would be one segment but at the factory that is TWO segments)

Oh in thay case it's a texture switch for the srbs in redirect

On 3/31/2022 at 11:44 AM, Starhelperdude said:

I quickly need a use for the AJ-10-137 outside of the normal Apollo Block 1/2s

Duna (or more likely Mars) lander. Big ol' engine with a useful deal of thrust? It's perfect.

14 minutes ago, Tangle said:

Duna (or more likely Mars) lander. Big ol' engine with a useful deal of thrust? It's perfect.

thanks but I mean if there was a real concept that used it outside of standart apollo CSMs

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

No sorry, it's not a new part, it's Invaderchaos is making a new fictional texture for Apollo. 

I mean the shuttle C like part

11 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Alright, time for the big reveal!

l9PWTfV.jpg

Here you go ladies and gents! 

NzBY1Zd.jpg

kuMfqsA.jpg

R9DKlLY.jpg

7HgF3FJ.jpg

0LLhvCW.jpg

(I love a beautiful symmetrical booster separation)

Ff2hEzu.jpg

TYEY3GM.jpg

Full Album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

(And yes I forgot RCS)

the engine section of this craft

2 minutes ago, Galileo chiu said:

I mean the shuttle C like part

the engine section of this craft

Oh.

Saturn IB interstage
Saturn S4B adapter (Set to 3.75 I think)

5 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Oh.

Saturn IB interstage
Saturn S4B adapter (Set to 3.75 I think)

oh, can we have a craft file just for the launch vehicle?

This continues to show thusly on my system. My install is file-for-file identical with the Github repo as of 20 minutes ago, no extra files present, and no Old Parts folder. My B9 is identical to the Github repo's version as well.

Can anyone else (who is in sync as of today) take a quick look if yours does this too?

NWuUkC2.png

12 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

This continues to show thusly on my system. My install is file-for-file identical with the Github repo as of 20 minutes ago, no extra files present, and no Old Parts folder. My B9 is identical to the Github repo's version as well.

Can anyone else (who is in sync as of today) take a quick look if yours does this too?

Can we get a screenshot of your gamedata folder and BDB folder? 

Quick question- I’m seeing DSCS and GPS sats on the wiki.

are these in the mod yet or are they kitbashed?

sorry, it’s been a while since I’ve kept up with the development.

edit- I see these are built with NFE and other parts. My bad.

Edited by CollectingSP