[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

37 minutes ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

Modular Skylab

CnUUdwa.jpguDmIR3L.jpgvSxW5xw.jpg

I think its beautifully cursed! 

Can't wait to send the Shuttles to Skylab with that bad boy! Those parts are beautiful! Fantastic work as always!

Wow, must have been bad luck to have the micrometeoroid shields ripped off BOTH Skylabs...

12 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

I'm noticing that the Apollo command module is extremely bouncy upon contact with water, to the point that I have to turn off crash damage and hack gravity down to the minimum in order to safely recover it.

That could be a Scatterer thing because it adds bouncy-ness to the water

First off, fantastic stuff! I've been off KSP for about a year and coming back to all this is amazing.

I have got a slight issue with the new Skylab robotics - well, one of two things happens when I switch to and from the Skylab, either:

1) The Apollo telescope mount ends up on the other side to where it's meant to be - even weirder, the truss is in the correct position (pointing to zenith), but the telescope module itself is nadir, or:

2) The entire vessel rapidly explodes and debris gets chucked outwards at insane speeds, like, solar escape speeds. Checking the in-game log of events, it seems to start with a failure in the connection between the telescope mount and the rotating truss.

I've got an absolute armada of mods, so maybe something is causing it to hate the robotic parts when switching? If it was anything, I would guess maybe Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued. Any help would be great, thanks!

Edited by [HM]GloriousSupremeLeader

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the Apollo parachute cover's Skylab texture variant doesn't look right. This is present for both the clean and toasted versions.

dfhFb9i.png

On a semi-unrelated note I noticed that the sextant that's normally on the side of the CM opposite the hatch is removed on the Skylab variants. A small touch, but a neat one to see.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but the Apollo parachute cover's Skylab texture variant doesn't look right. This is present for both the clean and toasted versions.

On a semi-unrelated note I noticed that the sextant that's normally on the side of the CM opposite the hatch is removed on the Skylab variants. A small touch, but a neat one to see.

I just checked and I don't have this problem. I have no idea what could cause that other than a problem with Textures Unlimited. 

15 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I just checked and I don't have this problem. I have no idea what could cause that other than a problem with Textures Unlimited. 

One thing that *may* have caused it (although I can't imagine why) is that I edited my persistent file to change a CM's texture variant from the clean to toasted variant while it was docked to Skylab, although that shouldn't have had an effect on the parts in the VAB, and it would have probably affected all the parts with the switch instead of just the parachute cover.

21 hours ago, GoldForest said:

7wJnIv2.png

gpQY0aY.png

R65XMUm.png

VXoEOzW.png

LR1HtDw.png

Full Album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Following the disaster that unfolded on January 16th, 2003, the Apollos for Artemis 8 and 9 were pulled from the Artemis program and were retasked with rescue operations for STS-107 Columbia. Artemis 8A was rolled back into the VAB, the boosters were quickly detached, the cargo fairing and Artemis lander were removed, allowing Apollo and the SLA adapter to be installed instead. To save time, one of the boosters for Artemis 8A was repurposed as the core stage for the Saturn MB M02 that would launch Columbia Rescue 2, or CR2 for short. CR1 and CR2 were finished within a week of each other, the engineers working 24/7 to finish the rockets that would save the 7 stranded astronauts who were already stretching the limit of what the shuttle could handle. 

Finally, on February 6th, 2003, CR1 and CR2 rolled out to the pad together. The two rockets and towers were set down as quickly as possible and fueling commenced as soon as the lines were installed. One astronaut boarded each Apollo. They had trained to work Apollo all alone, since the seats would be needed for Columbia. It was considered that launching a third rocket would allow for two people in each Apollo, to lighten the load for the one-man teams, but a third rocket was ruled out, as they were limited on resources to launch a third rocket. There were only two towers and two crawlers after all, one would have to be rolled back, the rocket assembled, checked, double checked, then rolled out to the launch pad. The resource drain wasn't worth it, and the two Apollos going up would be waiting around for days, possibly past the mission duration. 

CR1 roared to life and launched off the pad. CR2 followed five minutes later. This had never been done before, but the NASA engineers came up with a flight profile that would result in the two rockets maintaining separation. CR2 would take a one-to-three-degree shallower pitch maneuver than CR1. This would ensure that CR1's booster would fall below CR2, and not have CR2 run into CR1's booster. The launch went off without a hitch, both CRs reaching 120km to ensure they would catch up to Columbia as soon as possible. 

Once rendezvous had been achieved, the two Apollo's docked with each other and the conjoined crafts were maneuvered to within 10 meters of Columbia's cargo bay, one of the Apollo's hatches lining up with the airlock of Columbia to make the spacewalk as short as possible for the crew. It took hours as the only shuttle 2 EVA suits had to be flown back to Columbia for crew use each time. Finally, all 7 crew members were aboard the two Apollos. CR1 and 2 backed away slowly from Columbia, swinging around to get a picture of the damaged heat shield on the leading edge of the wing. The shuttle was remote commanded to close the cargo doors to give a better look in the sunlight. The crews stared in shock and horror at the size, some of them wondering how the wing wasn't ripped off during ascent, thankful it held though. 

After examining the hole for a few minutes, the two pods drifted away before undocking with each other, starting the journey home and arriving safely.

Rescue plans for Columbia were proposed and denied, none of them could rescue the shuttle, the damage to the wing too great to attempt an EVA repair. Even if the wing had been repaired, there was no way to guarantee a safe reentry for the pilots who would have to ride the shuttle home in order to land it. The Space Shuttle could be remotely/autonomously piloted, but not remotely/autonomously landed, unlike the Buran fleet. So, with just a few hours of battery life left, Columbia was ordered to burn retrograde and put itself into a back on orientation to the atmosphere. Columbia reentered and burned up on February 10th, 2003, a memorial held a few days later in the shuttles honor. 

that feels.... better?

3 minutes ago, Galileo chiu said:

I don't know...

Probably the fact that Columbia didn't get a happy ending. I thought about bringing her home in the story, but I felt like it would be a long shot. That and I didn't want to risk any crew during landing. (I'm bad and landing the shuttle. I usually end up in the water or in buck funk no where (Aka, in the mountains or no where close to a runway). I also have a bad habit of not managing my speed)

xEuuWxD.png

J9dVoWh.png

jR8tSHp.png

ZpbroUs.png

Full Album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Hmmm, think I forgot something... oh well, sure it wasn't important. Oh? The launch vehicle and launch pics? Nope. Purposely left those out. Kind of... off topic. :P If you want them, they are in the full album. But be warned! It's a cursed launch vehicle, at least for this payload. :D

17 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Am I right in reading in your edit that you fixed it? Any insight into the issue?

Yeah I fixed it. The mod is good. It wasn't a bug. But I screwed up. I accidentally placed a second LM docking port clipped inside the first, preventing docking.

9 hours ago, [HM]GloriousSupremeLeader said:

First off, fantastic stuff! I've been off KSP for about a year and coming back to all this is amazing.

I have got a slight issue with the new Skylab robotics - well, one of two things happens when I switch to and from the Skylab, either:

1) The Apollo telescope mount ends up on the other side to where it's meant to be - even weirder, the truss is in the correct position (pointing to zenith), but the telescope module itself is nadir, or:

2) The entire vessel rapidly explodes and debris gets chucked outwards at insane speeds, like, solar escape speeds. Checking the in-game log of events, it seems to start with a failure in the connection between the telescope mount and the rotating truss.

I've got an absolute armada of mods, so maybe something is causing it to hate the robotic parts when switching? If it was anything, I would guess maybe Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Continued. Any help would be great, thanks!

Further to this after some prodding - it goes mental every time it loads physics it seems, so coming out of timewarp, vessel switch, loading the vessel in from tracking station - With KJR off, the telescope mount whips round wildly before returning to its upright position. Is this a known bug or is my game being weird?

22 minutes ago, [HM]GloriousSupremeLeader said:

Further to this after some prodding - it goes mental every time it loads physics it seems, so coming out of timewarp, vessel switch, loading the vessel in from tracking station - With KJR off, the telescope mount whips round wildly before returning to its upright position. Is this a known bug or is my game being weird?

Might just be you. I have KJR and none of that happens. Might want to make sure KJR is updated (it was updated recently). Idk if KJR is causing it for you, but doesn't hurt to update.

55 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Might just be you. I have KJR and none of that happens. Might want to make sure KJR is updated (it was updated recently). Idk if KJR is causing it for you, but doesn't hurt to update.

I've updated and tested without KJR, it's not the issue. I'll just keep messing with stuff until I or someone else find what might be causing it. I have to admit, it is quite amusing though https://streamable.com/67zjnh :D

13 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Is there a way to stop Scatterer from having this effect?

There's a Scatterer setting called something like "waves interact with ships". It's on by default and can make small craft bounce a lot.

You can turn off wave interaction at the KSC view, open Scatterer settings (f10 hotkey?), go to ocean settings, find the wave interaction checkbox and turn it off. I'm working from memory and may have mis-described some of the steps, but it's definitely a checkbox that needs to be turned off in the Scatterer window.

14 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

I'm noticing that the Apollo command module is extremely bouncy upon contact with water, to the point that I have to turn off crash damage and hack gravity down to the minimum in order to safely recover it.

14 hours ago, JustDark said:

That could be a Scatterer thing because it adds bouncy-ness to the water

14 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

I believe it is Scatterer, I splashed down a couple of times with the Apollo CM and sometimes it bounces too much and other times it's normal and I have Scatterer.

14 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

Is there a way to stop Scatterer from having this effect?

19 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

There's a Scatterer setting called something like "waves interact with ships". It's on by default and can make small craft bounce a lot.

You can turn off wave interaction at the KSC view, open Scatterer settings (f10 hotkey?), go to ocean settings, find the wave interaction checkbox and turn it off. I'm working from memory and may have mis-described some of the steps, but it's definitely a checkbox that needs to be turned off in the Scatterer window

I'll have to remember that, a few people have commented on the CM getting thrown around in the water.

So uh, no pics of the LM Taxi? Here, have an LM Lab battery instead.

jYLaQcd.png

VbsrqHf.png