[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Image3

You know, a Bigger version of this could be the Vandenburg Shuttle Boost engine that strapped onto the bottom of the ET.   It was a Titan LR87 that utilized 2 Oxidizer and 2 Fuel tanks from the Titan IV second stage (individual tanks not the full 2nd stage structure)

A little suprise on its way: Baby Centaur (a small, centaur-based, hydrolox kick stage)! There were a few versions of it but I chose to do the tordial version due to its resemblance to Blok D:
IMG_2118.png

I had to deviate slightly from the design to make it play nice with other parts (like interstages and the Centaur avionics, but it looks mostly as intended:

Capture.PNG

It can be used with the Centaur avionics but it also comes with a toggleable 0.9375m upper mount for situations where it does not need the Centaur avionics. It also can be used with jettisonable insulation panels (like the default Centaur):

Capture1.PNG

This is still pretty WIP so it might change down the line. There's definitely still some stuff I want to add, like more piping and some greebles.

Edited by Invaderchaos

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Darn, and I was looking forward to kitbashing this thing!

I already kitbashed it for my Skylab rescue mission. Now I'm wondering if I should do the mission or wait.

7 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

A little suprise on its way: Baby Centaur (a small, centaur-based, hydrolox kick stage)! There were a few versions of it but I chose to do the tordial version due to its resemblance to Blok D:
IMG_2118.png

I had to deviate slightly from the design to make it play nice with other parts (like interstages and the Centaur avionics, but it looks mostly as intended:

Capture.PNG

It can be used with the Centaur avionics but it also comes with a toggleable 0.9375m upper mount for situations where it does not need the Centaur avionics. It also can be used with jettisonable insulation panels (like the default Centaur):

Capture1.PNG

This is still pretty WIP so it might change down the line. There's definitely still some stuff I want to add, like more piping and some greebles.

Nah, you can't fool us. That's Blok D/DM

7 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

IMG_2118.png

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

nice!

for one of the other baby centaurs, for atlas-F (the one with H-2s), I like to basically use HOSS but with the standart RL10 and a thor extension tank instead of the HOSS tank

I just explain it to myself that this baby centaur variation has the insulation in-buildt

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I already kitbashed it for my Skylab rescue mission. Now I'm wondering if I should do the mission or wait.

Nah, you can't fool us. That's Blok D/DM

Maybe one of them like the kitbashed one could be a prototype used in a first recovery and the non kitbashed one can be for a future Skylab rescue mission if delays with Shuttle happen or be a backup just incase the first one failed.

Just a thought.

v4Os4Mp.png

jZOXvSl.png

xnNxnpr.png

6V33ipi.png

OnsVtEM.png

QLylU5S.png

Full Album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

After a successful launch (That took 6 times due to the shuttle being too heavy thanks to the extra fuel... ) and a successful rendezvous (Not really, had to cheat the shuttle to rendezvous because mechjeb doesn't like the offset and was just wasting fuel), the Teleoperator Retrieval System was deployed and docked with Skylab. After system checks by the crew of Columbia (There is no crew, the shuttle is being probe controlled because I'm not risking crew with my shotty shuttle landing skills) the TRS was commanded to move Skylab into a healthy 175 x 175 km orbit. 

------

So yeah, @[HM]GloriousSupremeLeader I have the same glitch as you, kind of. Mine's permanent. I'm not sure what is causing it.  If anyone wants to take a look, here's my log file. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3xjjs8ji17gfcw/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by GoldForest

14 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

@GoldForest Is the broken Skylab solar panel a part switch? I've not seen that option in the part menu in my install.

No, I opened the left Solar Panel during the Saturn V launch. Once the Saturn V reaches 250 to 350 m/s the solar panel breaks off. 

0aB7BQV.png

@Zorg Do you have any idea what could be causing this? It even moves as if its been attached 180.

Edited by GoldForest

7 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

The kitbashing potential with these parts are immense. Love stuff like this.

5 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Darn, and I was looking forward to kitbashing this thing!

On the subject of kitbashing, part of the reason I finally became motivated to do it was realising the modularity of it. The core itself has full 6 axis attitude control and can be used for satellite servicing missions without any propulsion kits. The number of propulsion kits could also be varied in the proposals so while Skylab was the main consideration and would use 4 kits, other less demanding notional missions might need only 2. Im hopeful people will find the core and the kits independently useful parts for kitbashing.

50 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@Zorg Do you have any idea what could be causing this? It even moves as if its been attached 180.

was this correctly attached before and then happened after a reload? Im not sure what might cause this but could just be stock robotics bugs.

7 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

IMG_2118.png

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

No way it's the Soviet Block-D/Briz but American

c5lUW4v.png

Teaser Image ^

ECPoMUE.png

And how I solved the problem. I relaunched a new Historically Accurate... ish... Skylab with this support bracket that the ATM sits on, and then I just have the truss there for visual effect basically. 

If anyone is wondering how I did the support tube thingy:
Apollo LEM 0.625m Passive Docking Mechanism (BDB)
Oscar-C LF Tank (Restock Plus)
Skylab Radial Attachment Point (BDB)

While in VAB:
Attach Support Tube Thingy
Attach the truss to Skylab
Attach ATM to Support Tube Thingy
Use offset tool to move the Skylab Radial Attachment Point around until the Skylab ATM Truss Structure attachment joints line up with their respective spaces on the bottom of the ATM core.

10 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

IMG_2118.png

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

I like it! However, not meaning to rain on your parade, but isn’t this essentially the Vega upper stage? Or was the RL-10 more powerful than the Vega engine?

Edited by DaveyJ576
Minor edit

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I like it! However, not meaning to rain on your parade, but isn’t this essentially the Vega upper stage? Or was the RL-10 more powerful than the Vega engine?

major difference lies in the fact that the vega engine is a vacuum kerolox engine, RL10 though is a vacuum hydrolox engine.

btw, @Invaderchaos, could we get some type of jettisonable (or unjettisonable) insulation on the gamma stage tank? I've read that it would have had it, and I'm really having boiloff problems with it.

30 minutes ago, AdrianDogmeat said:

Nuclear shuttle sort of thing

Just wait until we get Nerva, then we'll get real Nuclear Shuttle power!

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos Are parts, besides Nerva, planned for Nuclear Shuttle planned for Phase II of the Saturn Update/1.11? Or are we just getting the engine? 

nuclear_shuttle_payloads.jpg

15 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Just wait until we get Nerva, then we'll get real Nuclear Shuttle power!

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos Are parts, besides Nerva, planned for Nuclear Shuttle planned for Phase II of the Saturn Update/1.11? Or are we just getting the engine?

Which one?

Spoiler

Lockheed

Pages_from_Nuclear_Shuttle_System_Defini

McDonnell Douglass (note that only class 1 and 2 were selected for further investigation in the phase III study).

Pages_from_Nuclear_Shuttle_Definition_St

Edited by Jcking

1 hour ago, Jcking said:

Which one?

Hide contents

Lockheed

Pages_from_Nuclear_Shuttle_System_Defini

McDonnell Douglass (note that only class 1 and 2 were selected for further investigation in the phase III study).

Pages_from_Nuclear_Shuttle_Definition_St

The one that used the S-IVB upper stage, obviously. So the Class I, I guess. 

Edited by GoldForest

10 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Unless I'm thinking of a different study, Class I is S-II sized, not S-IVB

Huh, hmmm. Wouldn't NERVA be smaller in the picture than? Because Nerva is nowhere near a third of the width of S-II.,.. Is it?

35 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Unless I'm thinking of a different study, Class I is S-II sized, not S-IVB

44 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The one that used the S-IVB upper stage, obviously. So the Class I, I guess. 

None of them are actually S-IVBs. Class II uses a 260 inch diameter propellant tank that uses an extended S-IVB with solids and a Space Shuttle engine as an expendable upper stage combined with the space shuttle booster. Class I is a 396 inch propellant module made for INT-21, but can alternatively be launched on the space shuttle booster and Class III uses 15x60 foot propellant tanks (and is specifically designed such that all parts can fit inside the space shuttle cargo bay).

The Lockheed design uses 15x60 tanks, except that the propulsion module tank is launched separate from the propulsion module engine, and the NAR shuttle is practically identical to the Class I MACDAC nuclear shuttle, just with a 8 degree slope that makes up 2/3rds of the propellant module compared to the 10 degree slope that makes up 1/3 of the propellant module and is single launched from an INT-21 (but a hybrid Saturn shuttle version was proposed)

Edited by Jcking
Additional information